PDA

View Full Version : Defense abandons Steelers in loss

stillers4me
09-29-2013, 10:59 PM
The Minnesota Vikings (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/min/minnesota-vikings) looked like they would blow a late lead for the third week in a row. The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers)’ defense refused to let that happen.

And now the Steelers are winless through four games for the first time since 1968, and about to set a new record for the longest flight ever from London to Pittsburgh.

Forget for a moment that Ben Roethlisberger (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5536/ben-roethlisberger)’s sixth turnover in the last two games ended a furious rally at Wembley Stadium in the 34-27 loss (http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330929016) to the Vikings. This Steelers’ defeat was all on the defense as it dug too deep a hole for Big Ben to shovel out of while in the shadow of Big Ben............

read more @ http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/1172/defense-abandons-steelers-in-loss

BnG_Hevn
09-30-2013, 04:41 PM
How many seconds were on the clock on that last drive?

Where were they on that last drive when the turnover happened?

And the defense is to blame? lol

steelerdude15
09-30-2013, 05:07 PM

What about the piss poor tackling by the defense?

Why couldn't the defense stop the big plays by the Vikings?

Why couldn't the defense put pressure on their Cassel for most of the game?

salamander
09-30-2013, 05:10 PM
That was the worst I've seen this defense play in a long, long time.

tube517
10-01-2013, 09:47 AM
That was the worst I've seen this defense play in a long, long time.

Worst since 2009

Spike
10-01-2013, 09:54 AM
10 yd cushions, Bend, then break

the new Steelers defense

Steelers' Film Study: Tackles missing vs. Vikings

The Steelers missed 16 tackles, including a pair on special teams that led to 151 yards and directly to 14 of Minnesota's 34 points. The Steelers now have 41 missed tackles — the third most in the NFL, ranking only behind Washington and Jacksonville.

The biggest offender against the Vikings was cornerback Cortez Allen.

Allen missed three tackles, with the big one being a short 7-yard completion to Greg Jennings that he turned into a 70-yard touchdown. The score gave Minnesota a 10-0 first-quarter lead. The Vikings caught 16 passes for 248 yards Sunday and 154 of those yards came after the catch.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4796307-74/steelers-vikings-tackles#axzz2gC01AifO

steeldawg
10-01-2013, 11:59 AM
10 yd cushions, Bend, then break

the new Steelers defense

Steelers' Film Study: Tackles missing vs. Vikings

The Steelers missed 16 tackles, including a pair on special teams that led to 151 yards and directly to 14 of Minnesota's 34 points. The Steelers now have 41 missed tackles — the third most in the NFL, ranking only behind Washington and Jacksonville.

The biggest offender against the Vikings was cornerback Cortez Allen.

Allen missed three tackles, with the big one being a short 7-yard completion to Greg Jennings that he turned into a 70-yard touchdown. The score gave Minnesota a 10-0 first-quarter lead. The Vikings caught 16 passes for 248 yards Sunday and 154 of those yards came after the catch.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4796307-74/steelers-vikings-tackles#axzz2gC01AifO

Ya I hope Cortez was still injured, because he had a bad game tackling and in coverage.

Craic
10-01-2013, 03:27 PM

On this one, along side of special teams, yeah, I have to put it on their shoulders. Realize that we were in the waning seconds trying to drive to score a TD to tie the game. It's not like this was a 7-0 sloberknocker. That, I'd put on the offense. But the offense put up 27 points in this game. That should be enough to win any game in the NFL.

steelreserve
10-01-2013, 03:50 PM
On this one, along side of special teams, yeah, I have to put it on their shoulders. Realize that we were in the waning seconds trying to drive to score a TD to tie the game. It's not like this was a 7-0 sloberknocker. That, I'd put on the offense. But the offense put up 27 points in this game. That should be enough to win any game in the NFL.

I think we were lucky that it was as close as it was. 7 points were basically a gift on that 50-yard moonball to Brown that got called for the free-touchdown pass interference penalty. I did not think that was a very good play on our part, but we got bailed out big-time. Without that, we're staring at a 34-10 deficit going into the fourth quarter and basically have no chance of even making it competitive.

The offense did not look good. The whole thing was this hurky-jerky mess where one play out of every 6 or 7 went for a big gain, and the rest failed entirely. Rarely anything resembling a coherent drive, and all the while battling the fact that if you get one great play, and then no yards on the next 3 plays, you still have to punt, or if you're lucky try a FG. It's like the entire offense was Willie Parker. Not very inspiring.

Craic
10-01-2013, 05:12 PM
I think we were lucky that it was as close as it was. 7 points were basically a gift on that 50-yard moonball to Brown that got called for the free-touchdown pass interference penalty. I did not think that was a very good play on our part, but we got bailed out big-time. Without that, we're staring at a 34-10 deficit going into the fourth quarter and basically have no chance of even making it competitive.

The offense did not look good. The whole thing was this hurky-jerky mess where one play out of every 6 or 7 went for a big gain, and the rest failed entirely. Rarely anything resembling a coherent drive, and all the while battling the fact that if you get one great play, and then no yards on the next 3 plays, you still have to punt, or if you're lucky try a FG. It's like the entire offense was Willie Parker. Not very inspiring.

Except, your not right. It wasn't one play out of every six or seven for a big gain and the rest failing miserably. Matter of fact, it was, on average, 2.5 good plays (4 yards or more) for every 1 bad play, and only 4 times did the offense string together 2 or more bad plays in a row (3 yards or less). Of those times, 3 out of 4 were actually only 2 plays in row. (as noted below, I'm not counting plays inside the 10, because it's a different type of ball that close to the endzone. I did, however, count the last series with the fumble in the above, even though it was inside the 10 yard line).

here's the plays:

1st quarter
5 yards
6 yards first down
1 yard
5 yards
3rd and 4, incomplete. Punt. That's positive yards on every play but the lst, and three of five over five yards.

2nd drive
Incomplete pass
36 yard pass and a first down
0 gain
8 yards
7 yards
8 yards TD That's a pretty good drive. Four of five pass plays for over 7 yards. The one that didn't was an incomplete pass. Those happen in games. Also, 4 of 6 plays for over 7 yards each.

third drive

Incomplete
seven yards
incomplete
punt. Not our best, but incomplete passes happen.

Second quarter first drive

1 yard
7 yards (Penalty, move back 10 yards, but for the point of this exercise, it's important to see that we gained those 7 yards).
14 yards. We had positive yardage every play in this series, and two of the three over 7 yards. The problem here was the penalty.
Punt

Second drive

No gain
-1 gain
14 yards first down
2 yards
15 yards first down
4 yards
-6 yards (sack)
28 yards (another 15 for penalty on top of it) first down
7 yards
---------------inside 10 yard line
2 yards
1 yard. First down
2 yards
Sack -5 yards
FG. Let's count plays outside of the 10 yard line, since that's a different issue (inside 10 is a very short field, won't move the ball 7, 8 yards each play usually). That's five plays of four yards or more, three plays of 0 or negative yards, and 1 play of 2 yards. That's far, FAR removed from one long play and then two or three blown plays. Matter of fact, the pattern goes 2 bad (0 or less yards), 1 good (four or more), 1 neutral (2 yards), 2 good, 1 bad, 2 good. That's not herky jerky, that's NFL football.

third drive

11 yards
3 yards
end of half.

Second half, first drive

4 yards
6 yards first down
5 yards
16 yards first down
48 yard penalty that you referenced above. This wasn't a "Bail out." It was a first down shot at the endzone, and yes, I was yelling for a interference because it was very much the right call. You throw that ball in this situation PRECISELY because you are close enough for a strike at the endzone, and PRECISELY because you have a dynamic receiver that can draw penalties because he can get behind the coverage. This was a great call on first down.
------inside 10
no gain
TD. Every drive was positive outside the 10 yard line. Every play went for over 4 yards, which means every play was on pace for gaining a first down.

Second drive

7 yards
0 gain
5 yards, first down
INT. 2 good plays and one 0 yard play before the int. We may not have had positive yards on every play, but two of the three went for over five before the int.

Third drive

19 yards first down.
4 yards
Incom.
Sack
Punt. Here's the first place that we see two bad plays back to back that make us punt all game long. This is three quarters of the way through the third quarter, or almost three quarters of the way through the game before we actually have to punt due to two back to back bad plays, and only the second time all game that we've had two bad plays in a single series that's forced us to punt (again, outside the 10, since inside the 10 is different football).

Fourth Quarter

-4 yards
10 yards
4 yards
0 yards
15 yards
incom.
15 yards TD. Two bad plays and an incomplete. If you count that, it goes, Bad, good, good, bad good, bad, good. Far, far away from your scenario of one good play for every three or four bad plays.

Second drive

0 yards
26 yards
9 yards
6 yards
12 yards
incomplete
incomplete
1 yard.
FG. This drive stalled. However, look at the middle. four very solid plays. Three first downs. On the whole, it's split 50/50 good to bad plays.

Last drive

36 yards,
10 yards
Spike
7 yards
5 yards
spike
7 yards
7 yards
spike.
Inc.
Sack/fumble. A great series up to the last two plays. Since this was to tie the game, this isn't junk time either.

All said and done, by my count, that's 38 plays were we drove 4 yards or more on EACH play. 26 plays where we drove the ball 3 yards or less, and 11 plays where we were stopped for no gain, a loss, or turned the ball over. (Incompletes not counted in this last count).