PDA

View Full Version : Who's Worse ? Adams or Gilbert ?

katmandu
09-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Adams made Gilbert look like a Pro Bowler today.

How many sacks/hurries were on him in this game ?

Adams is slow as molasses in his pass blocking skills. Absolutely horrible!

SteelerFanInStl
09-29-2013, 04:24 PM
They both suck at LT. We should've brought Max back. He looks like an All Pro compared to those 2. Now it's too late.

st33lersguy
09-29-2013, 04:28 PM
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120117222923/napoleondynamite/images/0/04/Kip_Dynamite.jpg

Would be an upgrade over both those bums

blackngldblood
09-29-2013, 04:36 PM
If foster doesn't blow out a boob in this game, I'm thinking that Beachum takes the field on the left and never leaves it.

vader29
09-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Adams shouldn't be on an NFL roster.

http://i41.tinypic.com/drcc3q.jpg

Texasteel
09-29-2013, 05:02 PM
I still believe that Adams is simply playing out of position. He just can not handle the left side, and this make him look worse that he really is. If we could find a LT and move Adams back to RT this would be twice the line we have now. IMO. Gilbert is a quandary to me. I am starting to wonder, if we moved him inside where he doesn't have to worry about the edge he might be better off. I am really beginning to wonder just how bright he is.

katmandu
09-29-2013, 05:08 PM
I still believe that Adams is simply playing out of position. He just can not handle the left side, and this make him look worse that he really is. If we could find a LT and move Adams back to RT this would be twice the line we have now. IMO. Gilbert is a quandary to me. I am starting to wonder, if we moved him inside where he doesn't have to worry about the edge he might be better off. I am really beginning to wonder just how bright he is.I totally agree except for moving Gibert inside, let's see if Beachum can handle LT. "If" he works out, move Adams back over to RT and make Gilbert the Utility/Backup lineman.

Count Steeler
09-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Foster is no slouch in the under performing category. He is much better on the right.

One thing this line needs is some nastiness. Maybe they shouldn't shower after Thursday's practice until. Let them get nice and smelly and grimy. Maybe then they will play mean.

Shoes
09-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Foster is no slouch in the under performing category. He is much better on the right.

One thing this line needs is some nastiness. Maybe they shouldn't shower after Thursday's practice until. Let them get nice and smelly and grimy. Maybe then they will play mean.

Unfortunately, you can't teach nastiness, Count. You have it or you don't.....and they don't. :chuckle:

ALLD
09-29-2013, 06:03 PM
I have seen James Harrison long snap better than those two play OL.

LLT
09-29-2013, 06:10 PM
I still believe that Adams is simply playing out of position. He just can not handle the left side, and this make him look worse that he really is. If we could find a LT and move Adams back to RT this would be twice the line we have now. IMO. Gilbert is a quandary to me. I am starting to wonder, if we moved him inside where he doesn't have to worry about the edge he might be better off. I am really beginning to wonder just how bright he is.

Agreed...as you and I discussed before...Draft a nasty Left tackle...Move Adams to the Right side...and use Gilbert as a backup.

Mistah Q
09-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Whose worse what?

katmandu
09-29-2013, 06:33 PM
Whose worse what?Ummmm.......playing pool and ping pong in the locker room.

What the hell do you think we're talking about ? LOL!

Mistah Q
09-29-2013, 06:48 PM
Whose is a possessive.

KeiselPower99
09-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Adams should be the RT only and Max shouldve been resigned to play LT. They are not bad players they are both out of position. Wasnt the zone scheme supposed to help them this year?

zulater
09-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Neither Adams or Gilbert are good enough to play left tacker in the NFL. Kevin Beachum is the Steelers best OT and should be given the start at LT for the next game. You can find a swing man on the waiver wire tio do what Kevin's been doing.

Regardless this is on the coaching. ?The best tackle on the team isn't a starter. Insane!

- - - Updated - - -

Adams should be the RT only and Max shouldve been resigned to play LT. They are not bad players they are both out of position. Wasnt the zone scheme supposed to help them this year?

Max is done.

Dwinsgames
09-29-2013, 07:41 PM
I was an advocate for Adams on the left side , however all I had to choose from was him or Gilbert ... I knew Gilbert would be a liability on the left side , Adams I held out a little hope for .... that hope is gone ...

Adams is a better RT than Gilbert is ( I know that is not saying much ) but he is decent enough on the right side he may not be a total bust .....

Gilbert is and has been a Liability since his rookie year in some spot starts where he played pretty well ( for a rookie ) but he has regressed with the more exposure he gets where as he should be doing much better ... he is IMO a wash out .... ( I like that term better than bust )

we pretty much as we line them up right now , do not have a starting quality RT or LT , may as well move Adams to the right side and only be short 1 tackle instead of 2 ... Try Beachum out , call up Max ...do something because what we are doing is Einsteins definition of insanity ( doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ) ....

I do not see 4 ( for sure ) wins on the schedule , Hell we may not win 2 unless wholesale changes take place ... it all starts up front !!!

KeiselPower99
09-29-2013, 07:44 PM
What about bring Joe Long from the PS and seeing what he can do. Cant be much worse.

pepsyman1
09-29-2013, 09:07 PM
I don't know if Adams is really any good for the right side either, but it's OBVIOUS he can't play left tackle. He was a complete joke today. On multiple occasions he either ignored Allen and looked to block someone else or simply whiffed trying (I think?) to make any contact with him. He looked like he had absolutely NO IDEA what he was doing

Dwinsgames
09-29-2013, 09:18 PM
I don't know if Adams is really any good for the right side either, but it's OBVIOUS he can't play left tackle. He was a complete joke today. On multiple occasions he either ignored Allen and looked to block someone else or simply whiffed trying (I think?) to make any contact with him. He looked like he had absolutely NO IDEA what he was doing

he played pretty well last year on the right side , but then again so did Gilbert his rookie year and it has been downhill since ......

salamander
09-29-2013, 09:30 PM
I thought Adams did pretty well on the right side last year. Maybe that's where he belongs.

katmandu
09-29-2013, 09:32 PM
I don't know if Adams is really any good for the right side either, but it's OBVIOUS he can't play left tackle. He was a complete joke today. On multiple occasions he either ignored Allen and looked to block someone else or simply whiffed trying (I think?) to make any contact with him. He looked like he had absolutely NO IDEA what he was doingHe looked totally flabbergasted and frustrated out there. He knows deep inside his ass is getting whipped and there's not a damn thing he can do about it. I feel sorry for him really.

Dwinsgames
09-29-2013, 09:38 PM
well he is not the first LT in history to be embarrassed by Allen and probably won't be the last that being said it was a pretty damned ugly outing for Adams

SteelerFanInStl
09-29-2013, 09:38 PM
he played pretty well last year on the right side , but then again so did Gilbert his rookie year and it has been downhill since ......

Why does that seem to be the standard for our OL? It seems like the more coaching these guys get, the worse they get.

Shoes
09-29-2013, 09:41 PM
Like I said last week, send Gilbert and Adams down the Ohio on a river barge with Tomlin at the controls.

Dwinsgames
09-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Why does that seem to be the standard for our OL? It seems like the more coaching these guys get, the worse they get.

they have square peg round hole syndrome ....

Adams has regressed in many areas since scheme change as has Foster whom is question better suited for a power blocking scheme , Pouncey was sucking until injured as well .... Dilbert has been a complete mess to the point of comic relief (for fans of any other team in the division ) ....

and right now our best O-Lineman was out of work just a few short weeks ago ( says all I need to know about the player evaluation of this team from the scouting department to the coaching staff )

teams that win consistently play to their strengths and that would be to game plan to put your players in the best possible position to succeed this team does not ( to me anyways ) seem to be doing that , they have the mentality of this is how we are going to go about our business and you ( the players ) need to figure out how to do that ..instead of this is what we can do and be successful and go out and do that 1 thing well and build off of it ....

Decastro can pull at a very high level ... LET HIM and run behind him when doing so !! that is an example of playing to your strengths but we do not do that sort of thing anymore ....

today inside the redzone they brought in Paulson and ran the football .... WHY do you do that ????? clearly Miller and David Johnson are the best blocking TE's on the roster yet Paulson came on the field STUPID !!!

the decisions made by this coaching staff are bordering CRIMINAL IMO

st33lersguy
09-29-2013, 10:00 PM
It is so sad that these 2 bums were our 2nd round picks back to back years. They might as well have just passed on the pick all together

Mistah Q
09-29-2013, 10:08 PM
While we do lack an elite LT we have the potential for good RT and adequate LT play, and potential to have among the best mid-OL in the league. Not to say we've been playing that way nor that we should expect to see it - but I have a feeling our personnel are not nearly as terrible as our coaching have been making them look.

On the other hand a guy I know from another board might say that the league is fixed - thanks to our huge fan/revenue base we had a nice long time in the sun but right now it's our turn to suck, hence the utterly baffling management going on right now :noidea:

steeldawg
09-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Adams was absolutely horrible today, I understand playing out of position but he looked like he had never blocked anyone before.

Mistah Q
09-29-2013, 10:20 PM
I think Tomlin is playing out of position tbh

steelerdude15
09-29-2013, 10:20 PM
I would like to see Mike play right tackle for a game or two. When Mike played right tackle last year, he was pretty good. I mean, it couldn't hurt to see what would happen if he was switched to the other side of the line. It could work out and be beneficial.

katmandu
09-29-2013, 10:24 PM
teams that win consistently play to their strengths and that would be to game plan to put your players in the best possible position to succeed this team does not ( to me anyways ) seem to be doing that , they have the mentality of this is how we are going to go about our business and you ( the players ) need to figure out how to do that ..instead of this is what we can do and be successful and go out and do that 1 thing well and build off of it ....

Decastro can pull at a very high level ... LET HIM and run behind him when doing so !! that is an example of playing to your strengths but we do not do that sort of thing anymore ....

today inside the redzone they brought in Paulson and ran the football .... WHY do you do that ????? clearly Miller and David Johnson are the best blocking TE's on the roster yet Paulson came on the field STUPID !!!

the decisions made by this coaching staff are bordering CRIMINAL IMOThis!

I get the feeling as well that Haley (with Tomlin's blessing) is still force feeding Ben and Co to do his will.

Let Ben loose and do his thing with the tools he has dammit !!

blackngldblood
09-29-2013, 11:15 PM
While we do lack an elite LT we have the potential for good RT and adequate LT play, and potential to have among the best mid-OL in the league. Not to say we've been playing that way nor that we should expect to see it - but I have a feeling our personnel are not nearly as terrible as our coaching have been making them look.

On the other hand a guy I know from another board might say that the league is fixed - thanks to our huge fan/revenue base we had a nice long time in the sun but right now it's our turn to suck, hence the utterly baffling management going on right now :noidea:
It is not hard for me to wrap my head around the possibility of the latter being the case. That is one explanation as to why they allow this to keep happening.....

steelreserve
09-29-2013, 11:34 PM
It doesn't help that each of them is playing on the opposite side from the one he's good at. Or at least respectable at, is maybe the better word choice.

Also, you know what really sucks? How none of our offensive linemen ever improve. However good they are when we acquire them, that's how good they are forever. Seems to me like our coaching has been piss-poor in that department. Who knows, Adams and Gilbert might actually be serviceable tackles if they were learning the ropes from someone who knew what the hell he was doing. But no, with our O-Line, it seems like you just play with the strength and instincts you have on your own, and that's that.

zulater
09-29-2013, 11:41 PM
I would like to see Mike play right tackle for a game or two. When Mike played right tackle last year, he was pretty good. I mean, it couldn't hurt to see what would happen if he was switched to the other side of the line. It could work out and be beneficial.

Beachum should be the starting left tackle and Adams and Gilbert should alternate at right tackle until one of them proves themselves best. Tunch Ilkin said it last week after watching the game film of the Bears game, the Steelers best tackle on the roster is Kevin Beachum.

Steeldude
09-30-2013, 01:45 AM
Adams is completely timid. You touch him and he backs off immediately. His problem isn't play LT instead of RT. His problem is he is a pussy. Look no further than the fumble/TD return by Peppers last week. Peppers pick up the fumble and gave Adams a weak stiff-arm. Adams immediately backed away.

- - - Updated - - -

Beachum should be the starting left tackle and Adams and Gilbert should alternate at right tackle until one of them proves themselves best. Tunch Ilkin said it last week after watching the game film of the Bears game, the Steelers best tackle on the roster is Kevin Beachum.

Which goes to show the Steelers do not have a tackle on the roster.

- - - Updated - - -

Adams was absolutely horrible today, I understand playing out of position but he looked like he had never blocked anyone before.

But he is a talented NFL player. Right?

NJarhead
09-30-2013, 06:38 AM
Re-post, but...

Seventy-six, seventy-SUCKS!

I don't recall Gilbert being that bad over on the left, but perhaps I'm mistaken. At this point, I think we could put a cardboard cut out of Wayne Gandy over there it would probably afford Ben an additional 2 seconds from what he's getting now

- - - Updated - - -

Adams is completely timid. You touch him and he backs off immediately. His problem isn't play LT instead of RT. His problem is he is a pussy. Look no further than the fumble/TD return by Peppers last week. Peppers pick up the fumble and gave Adams a weak stiff-arm. Adams immediately backed away.

- - - Updated - - -

Which goes to show the Steelers do not have a tackle on the roster.

- - - Updated - - -

But he is a talented NFL player. Right?

Funny, I texted those exact same words to a friend yesterday during the game. It's the truth. At this point, if he was flagged a time or two for being too aggressive and unnecessarily violent towards a defender, I'd be happy.

Texasteel
09-30-2013, 09:08 AM

I don't know bud. You may be right, we've both seen guys like that come and go, but I don't recall him being this bad on the right side. Adams looks to me to be lost and confused. He has to look of a player that is not sure what to do and that can cause a play to be timid. He has made one thing clear to me, he can not play on the left side.