PDA

View Full Version : Dwyer fined $21K for leading with helmet

steelreserve
09-27-2013, 06:10 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/09/report-steelers-rb-jonathan-dwyer-fined-21k/

Well, there it is; they've officially taken it to the next level. And not long ago, I thought that helmet-to-helmet, helmet-to-shoulder, helmet-to-whatever hits involving the ballcarrier were kind of accepted as part of the game that you can't do anything about? I don't know what this helps, except to add more flags and fines basically at random ... kill more drives, wipe out more big plays, add more frustration, and do nothing at all to improve player safety.

I guess for all the focus the NFL puts on making games more exciting for the fans, for some reason it also thinks that people enjoy going "YEAH!! YEAH!! -- AWW NO WAY, COME ON REF, THAT'S HORSESHIT!" as much as seeing actual big plays.

Technically, can't they stop making bullshit safety rules now? The big lawsuit was because people weren't aware of the risks of head injury. They're aware now, so you can stop. Not that they will; they'll just let the lawyers run with it, even though there's no need anymore.

SteelerFanInStl
09-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Completely ridiculous! Burfict gets fined $10k for grabbing the balls of a GB player after the play is over and Dwyer gets fined $21k for making a football play, which was his first offense? Fk Goofdell!

salamander
09-27-2013, 08:31 PM
They didn't penalize it in the game so they want to fine him $21K? Where do they come up with this shit?

fansince'76
09-27-2013, 09:45 PM
If the Steelers don't turn it around and soon, I'm simply not going to bother anymore. I've already tuned the rest of the league out completely.

Shoes
09-27-2013, 09:47 PM
If the Steelers don't turn it around and soon, I'm simply not going to bother anymore. I've already tuned the rest of the league out completely.

Expect a fine from Roger for that. :chuckle:

Texasteel
09-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Not to the point of giving up on football yet, but Goodell has made it less enjoyable.

WR lowers his head into the helmet of a tackler, at the moment of the tackle,,,,, fine.
RB lowers his body a the point of the tackle,,,,,,,,,, fine.
Ball carrier puts his hand on the face mask of a tackler, a legal football move,,,,,,,,, fine.
Tackler hits the QB a half second after he throws the ball,,,,,,,,,, fine.
Momentum carries a tackler into into the ball carrier at the moment he steps out of bounds,,,,,,,,,, fine.
Tackle SOME QBs too high, or to low,,,,,,,,, fine.

But you can still dive at the knees of a lineman, which can ended his playing days, and effect his ability to walk the rest of his life.

Goodell is like a nasty boil on your thigh. Hate the boil, but not ready to cut the leg of to get rid of it.

ALLD
09-28-2013, 09:31 AM
It's like somebody who never played a down making up rules for professionals.

tube517
09-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Not to the point of giving up on football yet, but Goodell has made it less enjoyable.

WR lowers his head into the helmet of a tackler, at the moment of the tackle,,,,, fine.
RB lowers his body a the point of the tackle,,,,,,,,,, fine.
Ball carrier puts his hand on the face mask of a tackler, a legal football move,,,,,,,,, fine.
Tackler hits the QB a half second after he throws the ball,,,,,,,,,, fine.
Momentum carries a tackler into into the ball carrier at the moment he steps out of bounds,,,,,,,,,, fine.
Tackle SOME QBs too high, or to low,,,,,,,,, fine.

But you can still dive at the knees of a lineman, which can ended his playing days, and effect his ability to walk the rest of his life.

Goodell is like a nasty boil on your thigh. Hate the boil, but not ready to cut the leg of to get rid of it.

Would you piss on the boil if it was on fire? :chuckle:

Sent from my SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4

Texasteel
09-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Would you piss on the boil if it was on fire? :chuckle:

Sent from my SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4

Not even if I set the fire.

katmandu
09-28-2013, 10:38 AM
They didn't penalize it in the game so they want to fine him $21K? Where do they come up with this shit?The amount of Fines dished out to players make Millions is an absolute JOKE ! I think the amounts are more of a 'showing' by God-dell to fans to saying "Look what I'm doing! I'm Fining them hard!"

Really ? Suh got $100,000 fine the other week. He got an $11,500,000 signing bonus. $100,000 fine is a .1% hit on him financially. A .(POINT) 1% fine to a person making $50,000 is $50 !! FIFTY BUCKS !!! What a freaking JOKE !

So Dwyer gets fined $21,000. He gets roughly $1,250,000 this year. $21,000 is a 1.6% hit on him. A 1.6% hit on a person making $50,000 is $800 !!! I don't know about you and your finances, but $800 will definitely hurt me more that a $50 fine would!

My numbers for the player's compensation is not close to being exact, but you get my point.

steelreserve
09-28-2013, 10:55 AM
The amount of Fines dished out to players make Millions is an absolute JOKE ! I think the amounts are more of a 'showing' by God-dell to fans to saying "Look what I'm doing! I'm Fining them hard!"

Really ? Suh got $100,000 fine the other week. He got an $11,500,000 signing bonus. $100,000 fine is a .1% hit on him financially. A .(POINT) 1% fine to a person making $50,000 is $50 !! FIFTY BUCKS !!! What a freaking JOKE !

So Dwyer gets fined $21,000. He gets roughly $1,250,000 this year. $21,000 is a 1.6% hit on him. A 1.6% hit on a person making $50,000 is $800 !!! I don't know about you and your finances, but $800 will definitely hurt me more that a $50 fine would!

My numbers for the player's compensation is not close to being exact, but you get my point.

Actually, $100,000 is 1% of $10,000,000; you were off by a decimal point. Personally, I don't think Suh should've gotten fined for that play at all; flag maybe, but even that I'd say was borderline and only because they put in a new rule this year. And for that matter, Dwyer shouldn't have been fined either. The real joke is that they're doing it at all.

86WARD
09-28-2013, 07:42 PM
http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/df5o4m.gif

Definitely a penalty. $21000 worth? Probably not...