PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger isn't counting on Le'Veon Bell

Shoes
09-25-2013, 08:15 AM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that rookie running back Le’Veon Bell (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8390/leveon-bell)
is on track (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/24/mike-tomlin-confirms-leveon-bell-expected-to-play-against-vikings/)
to make his regular season debut in London against the Vikings this week, a return that some are looking to as a way for the Steelers running game in gear after three dismal weeks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/25/ben-roethlisberger-isnt-counting-on-leveon-bell/

NJarhead
09-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Now, why would Ben be calling out his rookie RB in public like that? Trying to motivate him? I don't think that was a good decision by Ben.

steeldawg
09-25-2013, 09:41 AM
One thing that is known, our running game sucks. The guy is coming back before they expected him back that shows me he wants on the field. Ben should be looking for all the help he can get.

XxKnightxX
09-25-2013, 09:51 AM
So Far Bell is panning out to be another great Big 10 running back. Injured all the time. Might as well give him the Duce Staley jump suit. http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/26/268150.jpg

katmandu
09-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Now, why would Ben be calling out his rookie RB in public like that? Trying to motivate him? I don't think that was a good decision by Ben.I disagree.

IF Bell is indeed a slacker, calling him out in a Public way is great way to motivate him!

Perhaps Bell needs a "sit down" with the Bus! I can see Jerome now....... "Come on man!"

NJarhead
09-25-2013, 10:23 AM
I disagree.

IF Bell is indeed a slacker, calling him out in a Public way is great way to motivate him!

Perhaps Bell needs a "sit down" with the Bus! I can see Jerome now....... "Come on man!"

Ya never call out a teammate through the media. Plus, since Ben doesn't know him all that well, he doesn't know what will motivate him or de-motivate him. Everyone is different. Ben's leadership skills have never really wow'd me to begin with. His words also conflicted with Coach Tomlin's.

steelreserve
09-25-2013, 11:02 AM
It does strike me as kind of a dick move.

On the other hand, I'm not with these guys in practice every day, so maybe there's more to it. If the guy really is half-assing it, I'm glad he's hearing about it from someone. Especially since I think our performance so far reflects an overall lack of discipline, which means they may not be hearing the things they need from the coaching staff.

NJarhead
09-25-2013, 11:12 AM
It does strike me as kind of a dick move.

On the other hand, I'm not with these guys in practice every day, so maybe there's more to it. If the guy really is half-assing it, I'm glad he's hearing about it from someone. Especially since I think our performance so far reflects an overall lack of discipline, which means they may not be hearing the things they need from the coaching staff.

I'm not either, but it seemed to me that with Bell going all out every other day, it may be part of the recovery plan (full practice one day/other rehab or rest the next).

Craic
09-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Sounds to me like Ben is just taking a page out of Cowher's notebook for keeping a Rookie humble and motivating him. Only difference was that Ben was actually playing, and playing well while Cowher was doing it.

Spike
09-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Now, why would Ben be calling out his rookie RB in public like that? Trying to motivate him? I don't think that was a good decision by Ben.

poor guy, he's being viewed as though he's some kind of savior by some, and he's walking into an absolute shit storm of a season

My advice, don't fumble the ball young man

steel striker
09-25-2013, 02:43 PM
I don't know why Ben is calling out Bell like this but, he said it now we have to live with it. I don't like like but, let's hope for the best.

HollywoodSteel
09-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Sounds to me like Ben is just taking a page out of Cowher's notebook for keeping a Rookie humble and motivating him. Only difference was that Ben was actually playing, and playing well while Cowher was doing it.

The other difference is that it is not Ben's job to humble the kid in the media. Especially since he says he doesn't really know him. That tells me that he hasn't said anything remotely motivating to Bell in private.

The truth is I doubt there is any strategy behind it. Sometimes Ben's problem is that he has no filter when talking to the press and just says what is honestly going through his head. It's hard to know for sure without hearing the tone of his voice but I'm going to guess that it was matter of fact with no malice behind it. Ben is probably genuinely confused by the practice sessions he's seen and is trying to say that if it were Heath he wouldn't question it because he knows that Heath would be doing all he possibly can to get back on the field, whereas with Bell he just doesn't know him well enough to make that same leap. Seeing how it looks in print will probably make Ben regret the way he said it and perhaps he'll clarify later.

zulater
09-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Steelers veterans don't want young players getting comfortable

That was the message sent by the Steelers' veterans to their younger players when they took away their locker room recreation privileges, including access to the shuffleboard deck and the ping pong and pool tables, according to Ben Roethlisberger.
“We wanted to get that across to the guys, they can't just take that for granted, just get too comfortable,” Roethlisberger said Tuesday. “We wanted to push the envelope on the comfort.”
During a meeting of those remaining from the 2008 Super Bowl team, the veterans decided that too many players with four years of experience or less weren't being serious enough with their work.
“We wanted to set the tone, the older guys, don't get comfortable. If you're a young guy, a rookie, who isn't playing and isn't practicing, instead of going down and playing pool, come down and get in your (play) book or ask a guy a question or get treatment,” Roethlisberger said on his 93.7 FM radio show. “That's the thing we wanted to make sure the guys understood: It's about football.
“If you're a guy who's not out there and not performing, you need to find a way to get on the field and perform.”
Part of the problem, Roethlisberger said, is that “a lot of these guys come in and they're the man on their (college) teams. ... When you come to an NFL team, you're one of many guys. Your attitude, your mentality needs to be that: I've got to work.”
Roethlisberger, coming off the second-worst home loss of his 10-year career, didn't single out any individuals.
The crackdown, endorsed by coach Mike Tomlin, didn't show any tangible results Sunday as the still-winless Steelers lost to the Bears, 40-23, at Heinz Field.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4758573-74/steelers-vikings-bell#ixzz2fwBIPQxe
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Looks to me as if it's nothing personal directed towards Bell and just a change of attitude towards the younger players endorsed by all the remaining veterans from the Super Bowl teams. Not saying I agree or disagree, but it doesn't make Ben a dick, any more than it does Troy, Heath,Keisel, Timmons, etc...

tube517
09-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Get the rookies ass in gear. Mean Joe got pissed off when they were losing. Can't take anything for granted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4

HollywoodSteel
09-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Steelers veterans don't want young players getting comfortable

That was the message sent by the Steelers' veterans to their younger players when they took away their locker room recreation privileges, including access to the shuffleboard deck and the ping pong and pool tables, according to Ben Roethlisberger.
“We wanted to get that across to the guys, they can't just take that for granted, just get too comfortable,” Roethlisberger said Tuesday. “We wanted to push the envelope on the comfort.”
During a meeting of those remaining from the 2008 Super Bowl team, the veterans decided that too many players with four years of experience or less weren't being serious enough with their work.
“We wanted to set the tone, the older guys, don't get comfortable. If you're a young guy, a rookie, who isn't playing and isn't practicing, instead of going down and playing pool, come down and get in your (play) book or ask a guy a question or get treatment,” Roethlisberger said on his 93.7 FM radio show. “That's the thing we wanted to make sure the guys understood: It's about football.
“If you're a guy who's not out there and not performing, you need to find a way to get on the field and perform.”
Part of the problem, Roethlisberger said, is that “a lot of these guys come in and they're the man on their (college) teams. ... When you come to an NFL team, you're one of many guys. Your attitude, your mentality needs to be that: I've got to work.”
Roethlisberger, coming off the second-worst home loss of his 10-year career, didn't single out any individuals.
The crackdown, endorsed by coach Mike Tomlin, didn't show any tangible results Sunday as the still-winless Steelers lost to the Bears, 40-23, at Heinz Field.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4758573-74/steelers-vikings-bell#ixzz2fwBIPQxe
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Looks to me as if it's nothing personal directed towards Bell and just a change of attitude towards the younger players endorsed by all the remaining veterans from the Super Bowl teams. Not saying I agree or disagree, but it doesn't make Ben a dick, any more than it does Troy, Heath,Keisel, Timmons, etc...

I think Ben should be taking away his own shuffleboard privileges this week. Show the rest of the team that you can throw 100 accurate passes in a row before you say shit about anyone else. And after you do that, throw 100 more. Is your footwork in the pocket perfect, Ben? No? Peyton Manning worked on his own footwork over, and over, and over during the off-season and it was already ten times better than yours to begin with. Are you so good at reading defenses that you shouldn't be in the film room longer? Yeah, I know Ben was the only reason we had a chance to come back... after he buried us in a hole with his sloppy ball handling and missed throws. I love you, Ben. You're great. Now get better. Because that's the only chance we have to turn the season around.

steeldawg
09-25-2013, 04:16 PM
He had an injury that keeps people sidelined for quite awhile, ben is not a doctor and if in case hadn't noticed heath has had a whole offseason to rehab. Bell is rehabbing and trying to practice without further injuring himself. HOnestly I don't want to hear anyone on our offense questioning anyone elses preparation because they are currently one of the worst in the league.

GoSlash27
09-25-2013, 04:46 PM
This doesn't strike me as typical "Ben" behavior. Something's up, but I don't know what.
Maybe Bell has been a serious slack-ass (even worse than Ben suggests) or maybe it's part of an elaborate ruse to lull Minnesota into a false sense of security.
Who knows?

Hawkman
09-25-2013, 04:50 PM
poor guy, he's being viewed as though he's some kind of savior by some, and he's walking into an absolute shit storm of a season

My advice, don't fumble the ball young man

Wouldn't that be perfect......fumble on his first carry.

SteelerFanInStl
09-25-2013, 06:12 PM
The reactions to what Ben said are pretty funny to me. Why does anyone think that Ben SHOULD count on Bell? He hasn't played a single down in the NFL and barely played in the preseason. No one knows what he's capable of when he gets healthy. To be counting on him would be foolish.

We also don't see what Ben sees in practice every day. Maybe Bell has been slacking and Ben thought that he needed a little inspiration. We really don't know because we're not there.

steelerdude15
09-25-2013, 07:11 PM
I think the media is doing what it does best, making nothing into something.

zulater
09-25-2013, 07:20 PM
I think the media is doing what it does best, making nothing into something.

Bingo!

NCSteeler
09-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Last time a vet had a problem not trusting a rookie in the media , I believe it worked out ok. Faneca talking bad about Ben? This is a BS non story, I feel the same way We have no damn idea if Bell is the savior or another Limassol Sweed.

steeldawg
09-25-2013, 07:49 PM
The reactions to what Ben said are pretty funny to me. Why does anyone think that Ben SHOULD count on Bell? He hasn't played a single down in the NFL and barely played in the preseason. No one knows what he's capable of when he gets healthy. To be counting on him would be foolish.

We also don't see what Ben sees in practice every day. Maybe Bell has been slacking and Ben thought that he needed a little inspiration. We really don't know because we're not there.

Well I think the steelers are counting on him, lets face it we need a running game and stability in the backfield. We drafted him to be that guy this is not, we are going to sit this guy and let him learn, this is we brought you in to turn this running attack around so into the fire you go.

Texasteel
09-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Well I think the steelers are counting on him, lets face it we need a running game and stability in the backfield. We drafted him to be that guy this is not, we are going to sit this guy and let him learn, this is we brought you in to turn this running attack around so into the fire you go.

That's like saying the Titanic was counting on a shallow spot. Hopefully the blocking will get better, and Bell will turn out to what we are hoping he will be. I just hope we are not rushing him back trying to turn this season around. By the way I do still think we can turn this thing around, only time will tell.

SteelerFanInStl
09-25-2013, 09:07 PM

That's not counting on him. That's hoping that he is what we think he is. The fate of this team doesn't revolve around Bell. He's a piece of the puzzle, nothing more.

Seven
09-25-2013, 10:29 PM
I don't understand this. I don't see where Ben "called him out."

vader29
09-25-2013, 10:36 PM
I don't understand this. I don't see where Ben "called him out."
Was taken out of context by the media once again: http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/18395-Everything-OK-between-Roethlisberger-Bell?p=397954&viewfull=1#post397954

Steeldude
09-26-2013, 04:26 AM

It's starts with the O-line. If Bell isn't given holes then he isn't going anywhere.

steeldawg
09-26-2013, 05:31 AM
That's not counting on him. That's hoping that he is what we think he is. The fate of this team doesn't revolve around Bell. He's a piece of the puzzle, nothing more.

Well we are paying him and there is no plan B so I would say we are counting on him. If we weren't counting on him there would be no need to rush him out there before the bye for an 0-3 squad behind a dreadful offensive line. Im not saying the steelers are counting on him to save the the team, Im saying they are counting on him to stabilize the running game, which will help improve other areas.

ALLD
09-26-2013, 06:50 AM
This doesn't strike me as typical "Ben" behavior. Something's up, but I don't know what.
Maybe Bell has been a serious slack-ass (even worse than Ben suggests) or maybe it's part of an elaborate ruse to lull Minnesota into a false sense of security.
Who knows?

That's it, we are going to fake them out with our sandbagged running attack to gain the edge needed to put us over the top for our first win. While Minnesota will conventionally not post a starting QB and rely on their regular starting RB to carry them to victory. I forgot his name again...

stillers4me
09-26-2013, 07:05 AM
That's it, we are going to fake them out with our sandbagged running attack to gain the edge needed to put us over the top for our first win. While Minnesota will conventionally not post a starting QB and rely on their regular starting RB to carry them to victory. I forgot his name again...

Do you mean this guy?

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d813aff42_gallery_600.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=9ATiUqh0GB6nPM&tbnid=-5e0bEYkCgkC1M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftemple3.wordpress.com%2F2009%2F10 %2F26%2F2009-nfl-season-a-look-back-at-week-7%2F&ei=xCJEUs7YDY6NrQHAmoGACg&bvm=bv.53217764,d.aWM&psig=AFQjCNHW0BElpe1z4LpdaXHvRtqgTSB87g&ust=1380283452681122)

zulater
09-26-2013, 07:19 AM
The only problem I have with Ben is the same problem I have with all the vets from the 08 team who collectively got together and decided the best way to fix this team was to keep the 4 year and under vets off the pool and ping pong table! :doh: How did Tomlin let them enact such a divisive bullshit act to begin with? All they'e doing is dividing the team with that stupid power play! If there's a specific player or two or three this was aimed at let the coaches take them aside and tell them they need to pay attention to on field matters more. If the 08 vets can't reach someone they needed to tell the coaches who and why they had a problem. But right now the way it stands you'll have the younger guys resenting the vets, and that's no way to turn around a team!:crazy:

Dwinsgames
09-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Ben isn't counting on Bell ...

I am not counting on Ben ....

when Ben tries to do to much we normally lose .... FACT

when Ben throws for 300+ yards we normally lose ..... FACT

Ben is not build to be a 30+ throw a game QB .... when held to under 30 passes a game we are damn near unbeatable in Ben's era , over 30 we rarely win ... FACT

the clock stops here ...... 29 or less

anything more EXPECT to lose

ALLD
09-26-2013, 02:59 PM
LaDainian Tomlinson is going to do his best Secretariat impression. It will be like the second coming of Gayle Sayers. Hopefully they do not let him return punts.

Craic
09-26-2013, 03:33 PM
LaDainian Tomlinson is going to do his best Secretariat impression. It will be like the second coming of Gayle Sayers. Hopefully they do not let him return punts.

Who? He's retiring as Steeler http://profootballmock.com/ladainian-tomlinson-signs-one-day-contract-to-retire-as-a-pittsburgh-steeler/

:chuckle:

smokin3000gt
09-26-2013, 07:00 PM
LeVeon must really be fucking off for Ben to say anything at all. I'm more disappointed that Ben has to say anything to him then I am for him saying it.

The only problem I have with Ben is the same problem I have with all the vets from the 08 team who collectively got together and decided the best way to fix this team was to keep the 4 year and under vets off the pool and ping pong table! :doh: How did Tomlin let them enact such a divisive bullshit act to begin with? All they'e doing is dividing the team with that stupid power play! If there's a specific player or two or three this was aimed at let the coaches take them aside and tell them they need to pay attention to on field matters more. If the 08 vets can't reach someone they needed to tell the coaches who and why they had a problem. But right now the way it stands you'll have the younger guys resenting the vets, and that's no way to turn around a team!:crazy:

I agree, in fact I think that none of them should be on the pool table. You win as a team, you lose as a team. Right now they are all losers. They should all focus more. It doesn't matter how many years you've been on the team. Lead by example.

86WARD
09-26-2013, 10:36 PM
It's true...they can't depend on him yet. Another "meh story."

zulater
09-27-2013, 02:59 AM
LeVeon must really be fucking off for Ben to say anything at all. I'm more disappointed that Ben has to say anything to him then I am for him saying it.

I agree, in fact I think that none of them should be on the pool table. You win as a team, you lose as a team. Right now they are all losers. They should all focus more. It doesn't matter how many years you've been on the team. Lead by example.

If there's an issue Tomlin should confiscate the damn pool and ping pong table's. It's either there for everyone or no one. A team divided amongst itself isn't likely to get untracked.

Seven
09-27-2013, 04:37 AM
You know who we need to sign who would fix all of our problems..? T.J. Duckett. :chuckle:

steeldawg
09-27-2013, 05:43 AM
If there's an issue Tomlin should confiscate the damn pool and ping pong table's. It's either there for everyone or no one. A team divided amongst itself isn't likely to get untracked.

It really seems like a desperate attempt at leadership, taking away pool and ping pong tables? Really? Also calling out injured players is ridiculous, I don't see how a guy who cant play or practice reading his playbook more would have made the difference in 3 straight losses. Maybe Ben should be paying more attention to pre snap reads instead of rehab assignments.

HollywoodSteel
09-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Ben isn't counting on Bell ...

I am not counting on Ben ....

when Ben tries to do to much we normally lose .... FACT

when Ben throws for 300+ yards we normally lose ..... FACT

Ben is not build to be a 30+ throw a game QB .... when held to under 30 passes a game we are damn near unbeatable in Ben's era , over 30 we rarely win ... FACT

the clock stops here ...... 29 or less

anything more EXPECT to lose

D, I know exactly what you are trying to say and your point that we need a solid running game is of course valid, but I think the misleading nature (in a correlation = causation way) of pass attempts stats is reason enough not to use it to make your point. For example:

Teams that employ the "victory formation" play win pretty much 100% of the time... FACT.

See what I'm saying? :)

BnG_Hevn
09-27-2013, 03:44 PM
This is not good.

I'm not one to want a coaching change b/c I like stability, but this smacks of Tomlin's ineptness.

Think about it, at the end of Noll's era, he probably slacked off quite a bit which contributed to down years. Cowher comes in and takes a no-nonsense approach so the players that came in under his watch learned discipline.

As the players learned discipline, they taught the rookies so they learned what to do and what not to do.

In comes Tomlin and now, in the middle of the Tomlin-era, players drafted on his watch don't have discipline?

Ben came in at the end of Cowher so he would have been taught by Bettis, Ward, Porter etc. If the players with 4 years and less experience need to be banned from the playroom b/c they are slackers, that SCREAMS lack of leadership.

The problem is, if the new players have no leadership, they don't develop it so who is going to teach the draft classes for the next X years?

This is absolutely inexcusable IMO. And I'm not taking a "the sky is falling" attitude either, I'm just looking at the facts.

When I was at 8th&I Marine Barracks, it was a 2 year duty station. You basically learned from the marines before you and when they left for the fleet, you assumed leadership over the newbies. If you have a "class" that doesn't learn proper, they can't teach the next class and sooner or later the shit hits the fan.

I have a feeling we are in for a long and bumpy road folks.