PDA

View Full Version : Why the heck are we throwing more to Sanders than Brown?

Psycho Ward 86
09-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Brown has been targeted 29 times thus far. Sanders has been targeted 30 times. It was even worse through 2 games: Sanders had 22 targets to Brown's 16. If you ask me, he doesnt even deserve half of those targets. Brown's great performance last night only further adds to mystery. He did it all yesterday. Deep catches, combatative ball skills beating Jennings (a pro bowlers), and maybe the catch of the year later in the game. And all of it while the game was still relevant (except for his last little 6 yard catch).

Just give him the damn ball?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTargets

st33lersguy
09-23-2013, 08:47 PM
It's Mike Tomlin and Todd Haley, do you expect any logic coming from those two?

Craic
09-23-2013, 09:08 PM
It's Mike Tomlin and Todd Haley, do you expect any logic coming from those two?

Ahh, the pitchfork approach rather than the "what might be going on" approach.

My guess is that Brown has been under a lot more double-coverage now that he's the number 1 receiver. That, and Sanders is probably the hot-route receiver since we want Brown to get up field a bit more.

LLT
09-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Brown has been targeted 29 times thus far. Sanders has been targeted 30 times. It was even worse through 2 games: Sanders had 22 targets to Brown's 16. If you ask me, he doesnt even deserve half of those targets. Brown's great performance last night only further adds to mystery. He did it all yesterday. Deep catches, combatative ball skills beating Jennings (a pro bowlers), and maybe the catch of the year later in the game. And all of it while the game was still relevant (except for his last little 6 yard catch).

Just give him the damn ball?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTargets

I wrote this last week.

. There isn't a team in the league that plays pressman on every play. And even when they do, the Free Safety often doesnt have a WR, but rather has the responsibilty to look for the run OR provide deep coverage in their "zone" or area.

To be specific. The slant...fade...hitch.. and option..are all 3 step routes. Every other route breaks between 12-15 yards. The CB were reading the 3-step and if there is was no break...they looked for the post...dig...flag... and the comeback (especially if Ben comes out of the pocket). So when Antonio didnt break at 3, the safety was looking for two things: He got ready for the double move if he broke at 12-15 and covered high just in case the CB got burnt.... or if he didnt see the break, he turned and ran, because it was going long and they made Ben throw into double coverage.

The safety "cheated" very often because they didnt respect our ability to run and because we never established a short passing game.

Pretty much what Preacher alluded to. In the first two games our inability to establish a legitimate short passing game and/or running game allowed the other teams defense to cheat the FS towards Brown...

The return of Miller and our semi-respectable running game made the Bears play center field honestly or we would have had a heyday with our TE and/or sending Jones/Dwyer up the gut. Establishing those two elements of the game allowed Brown to see more one-on-one opportunities. Even when I did see the Safety cheat, there was enough of a "hesitation" for Ben to exploit the matchup.

Psycho Ward 86
09-23-2013, 09:34 PM
I wrote this last week.

Pretty much what Preacher alluded to. In the first two games our inability to establish a legitimate short passing game and/or running game allowed the other teams defense to cheat the FS towards Brown...

The return of Miller and our semi-respectable running game made the Bears play center field honestly or we would have had a heyday with our TE and/or sending Jones/Dwyer up the gut. Establishing those two elements of the game allowed Brown more one on one opportunities and even when I did see the Safety cheat, there was enough of a "hesitation" for Ben to exploit the matchup.

the bears played plenty of cover 2 shell. the bears defense is imo the best defense we've faced so far, yet the one we've had the most success against (which isnt saying much). so im not sure what to think of this. even though this wasnt brought up in the thread yet, i think brown had every right to get upset with haley

LLT
09-23-2013, 09:51 PM
the bears played plenty of cover 2 shell. the bears defense is imo the best defense we've faced so far, yet the one we've had the most success against (which isnt saying much). so im not sure what to think of this. even though this wasnt brought up in the thread yet, i think brown had every right to get upset with haley

Your right on every acoount....But in the cover two the strong safety has reciever responsibility (more often then not) while the FS has run and deep pass responsibility. The return of Miller in THIS game...and our semi successful run game...forced the Bears to play the middle honestly and therefore created more opportunities for Brown.

Even against VERY good corners...Brown was simply amazing.

I may be mistaken and I'll have to look at the game again...but it seemed there were several plays in which the Bears decided to "gamble" and pulled the FS over at the risk of Miller or one of the RB's breaking a long play. Those are the matchups that we have to exploit EVERY time. Golden opportunites for long plays when the center fielder is missing.

Psycho Ward 86
09-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Golden opportunites for long plays when the center fielder is missing.

is it bad that the first thing that popped into my head is robert golden getting trucked by cutler? :lol:

LLT
09-23-2013, 10:45 PM
is it bad that the first thing that popped into my head is robert golden getting trucked by cutler? :lol:

:rofl: