PDA

View Full Version : Re: Jadeveon Clowney would look good in black and gold...

Lambert_Loonie
09-22-2013, 11:12 PM
... don't you think? Because at this rate, the Steelers are getting the #1 draft pick.

JayC
09-22-2013, 11:14 PM
i'll take teddy bridgewater or johnny manziel instead

Shoes
09-22-2013, 11:16 PM

Manziel wouldn't last one game with our OL.

SteelerFanInStl
09-22-2013, 11:16 PM
no on all 3. The position that this team needs worse than anything is LT.

zulater
09-22-2013, 11:17 PM

You can get Johhny Football in the 3rd round. And Jacksonville will take Teddy Bridgewater 1st overall.

So yeah maybe we can get Clowney, but I doubt it. We'll end up winning 6, just enough that we can't get that guy who could turn things around in one year.

Lambert_Loonie
09-22-2013, 11:18 PM
no on all 3. The position that this team needs worse than anything is LT.

I don't see a LT worthy of the #1 pick in this year's draft. Might as well take Clowney. maybe trade him after one year if the Steelers play bad enough? [/Trent Richardson]

SteelerFanInStl
09-22-2013, 11:27 PM
I don't see a LT worthy of the #1 pick in this year's draft. Might as well take Clowney. maybe trade him after one year if the Steelers play bad enough? [/Trent Richardson]

Maybe not. We'll see at the end of the season. Clowney doesn't fit the 3-4. That would be a complete waste of talent.

Steeldude
09-22-2013, 11:52 PM

Why? What a waste of a pick. The Steelers have a QB.

Clowney would be a good pick as would the top rated LT.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe not. We'll see at the end of the season. Clowney doesn't fit the 3-4. That would be a complete waste of talent.

How does he not fit a 3-4?

salamander
09-23-2013, 05:04 AM
If it comes to that, the Steelers will manage to find a way to just miss out on a good draft pick.

SteelerFanInStl
09-23-2013, 07:51 AM
Why? What a waste of a pick. The Steelers have a QB.

Clowney would be a good pick as would the top rated LT.

- - - Updated - - -

How does he not fit a 3-4?

That depends on if you think he's going to play DE or OLBer in the NFL. His talent would be wasted as a 3-4 DE. Why would you draft a player with that much talent to basically just occupy blockers?

I don't see him as an OLBer.

st33lersguy
09-23-2013, 09:19 AM
I heard that Clowney was taking off in practice just because he has more flexibility, no thanks, he's a low effort guy who will bust in the pros, and that is the last thing this team needs. How about Jake Matthews?

86WARD
09-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Manziel? He's a mental nightmare and there's talk he may not even be NFL material. Can he play OL?

Count Steeler
09-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Manziel? He's a mental nightmare and there's talk he may not even be NFL material. Can he play OL?

Bu,bu, but he won the Heisman. Surely he has elite football talent. He might end up being a bigger bust than Tebow.

1992 Gino Torretta Miami (Fla) QB Sr. 1,400
1993 Charlie Ward Florida State QB Sr. 2,310
1994 Rashaan Salaam Colorado RB Jr. 1,743
1995 Eddie George Ohio State RB Sr. 1,460
1996 Danny Wuerffel Florida QB Sr. 1,363
1997 Charles Woodson Michigan CB Jr. 1,815
1998 Ricky Williams Texas RB Sr. 2,355
1999 Ron Dayne Wisconsin RB Sr. 2,042
2000 Chris Weinke Florida State QB Sr. 1,628
2001 Eric Crouch Nebraska QB Sr. 770
2002 Carson Palmer USC QB Sr. 1,328
2003 Jason White Oklahoma QB Jr. 1,481
2004 Matt Leinart USC QB Jr. 1,325
2006 Troy Smith Ohio State QB Sr. 2,540
2007 Tim Tebow Florida QB Sop 1,957
2008 Sam Bradford Oklahoma QB Sop 1,726
2009 Mark Ingram Alabama RB Sop 1,304
2010 Cam Newton Auburn QB Jr. 2,263
2011 Robert Griffin III Baylor University QB Jr. 1,687
2012 Johnny Manziel Texas A&M QB Fr. 2,029

While the Heisman is not the kiss of death, it is certainly not a guarantee of success.

steelerdude15
09-23-2013, 07:04 PM
I highly doubt Clowney will be available by the time the Steelers will be on the clock. Someone that could be interesting to look into for the DE position would be Danielle Hunter of LSU. I'm not sure if he's going into the draft since he's only in his second year of college, but he would be a good DE. Explosive, can tackle, and can read plays well.

SteelerFanInStl
09-23-2013, 07:13 PM
No way in Hell do I want a DE in the first round again.

steelerdude15
09-23-2013, 07:15 PM
No way in Hell do I want a DE in the first round again.

Why? Just because one doesn't work out doesn't mean another won't.

SteelerFanInStl
09-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Why? Just because one doesn't work out doesn't mean another won't.

2 recent ones. Add to that the fact that a 1st round pick is a waste on a DE in our 3-4 where the DE is supposed to mainly just occupy blockers so that the LBers can make the plays.

We have much bigger needs than DE.

st33lersguy
09-23-2013, 07:55 PM
I am certain that the Jaguars will get the #1 overall pick. With that and how they looked the first 3 games, they are on track for picks 2-4. Picks 3-4 will likely be Jake Matthews OT from Texas A&M, but pick 2, I see Clowney as the pick even though I have concerns about his work ethic and think they should select Matthews if he is available regardless of draft position

SteelerFanInStl
09-23-2013, 08:06 PM
I'd love to have Matthews. Hard to beat that bloodline.

Nadroj 20
09-23-2013, 09:45 PM
I'm sorry but clowney is so overrated. You never heard of the guy until his one big play in a bowl game last year and if he didn't play in the SEC who gets covered by espn more then anything people wouldn't notice him as much. He's good but nothing special like they make him out to be

Dwinsgames
09-24-2013, 08:49 AM
far to early to predict or even project IMO ...

1) no telling what this Steelers team will end up doing ( probably 6-10 and not a top tier pick )

2) to much college ball left this season to see who rises to the top , gets hurt or fizzles and plummets

zulater
09-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Offensive tackle, inside linebacker, and safety will be the Steelers biggest needs in this draft. Or, hate to say it, but if a can't miss quarterback were to fall into our lap ( which obviously is very doubtful) it would be hard to pass on him ( no pun intended) in my opinion.

ALLD
09-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Offensive line. If we cannot score points, no matter how good our D is, at best we could hope to tie.

Devilsdancefloor
09-24-2013, 11:35 AM
what really gets me going is the oline are a bunch of 1st and 2nd round guys (except foster). they should be playing lights out, but instead we have 2 RT and one cant stay on his feet and the other wiffs a alot. as far as io can tell id really look elsewhere and not get him we need other positions

steelerdude15
09-25-2013, 07:18 PM
2 recent ones. Add to that the fact that a 1st round pick is a waste on a DE in our 3-4 where the DE is supposed to mainly just occupy blockers so that the LBers can make the plays.

We have much bigger needs than DE.

I can understand the argument because of Ziggy, but when it comes to Cam, that's another story. The media and fans are labeling him a bust and that he isn't good, but the fact of the matter is, he really hasn't played until now. Now that he is playing, he is being the most disruptive DE on our team IMO. I think he should start over Ziggy. He's the better DE.

Also, our defensive philosophy has changed and Lebeau wants our DEs to get after the quarterback now. So drafting an athletic DE in the draft makes sense if that is the direction the coaching staff wants the defense to go.

I do agree that we have a bigger need and that's tackle.

Here are my top five positions of need:
1)Tackle
2)Defensive end
3)Inside linebacker
4)Running back
5)Tight end

Texasteel
09-26-2013, 07:15 AM
I'm not comfortable a LT. If the year does continue going south on us I'm looking a Lewan from Michigan.

LLT
09-26-2013, 03:18 PM
I'm not comfortable a LT. If the year does continue going south on us I'm looking a Lewan from Michigan.

Agreed...as you and I have discussed, Lewan has some of the best feet of this next years crop and has that mean streak you want in a blind side tackle. I think ILB and TE are out next two needs.

Shoes
09-26-2013, 11:19 PM
Who's on your mind for ILB & TE LLT?

Texasteel
09-28-2013, 10:40 AM

Perry and I have talk about a particular ILB, but I will let him mention the name. As for TE, I like Fiedorowics from Iowa, but I don't think he will last past the 3rd round, and didn't we trade away our 3rd round pick. I am wondering about any comp. picks we may get, but not sure how that will work out.

steeldawg
09-28-2013, 02:38 PM
I'm sorry but clowney is so overrated. You never heard of the guy until his one big play in a bowl game last year and if he didn't play in the SEC who gets covered by espn more then anything people wouldn't notice him as much. He's good but nothing special like they make him out to be

Clowney is a Defensive end who runs a 4.5 40yrd dash at 270 pounds that type of speed and size combo is extremely rare. Clowney was the SEC Freshman of the Year and a Second-Team All-SEC selection in 2011. He totaled 36 tackles with eight sacks, 12 tackles for a loss and five forced fumbles. Clowney did well against top competition including a great game with two sacks against Georgia's Cordy Glenn (currently the Bills starting left tackle).

Clowney was one of the best players in college football in 2012. The sophomore amassed 54 tackles, 23.5 tackles for a loss, three forced fumbles, two passes batted and 13 sacks. He finished sixth for the Heisman Trophy. He is described in his scouting report as being "a once in a generation type defender" don't see that to often in a guys scouting report.

Nadroj 20
09-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Clowney is a Defensive end who runs a 4.5 40yrd dash at 270 pounds that type of speed and size combo is extremely rare. Clowney was the SEC Freshman of the Year and a Second-Team All-SEC selection in 2011. He totaled 36 tackles with eight sacks, 12 tackles for a loss and five forced fumbles. Clowney did well against top competition including a great game with two sacks against Georgia's Cordy Glenn (currently the Bills starting left tackle).

Clowney was one of the best players in college football in 2012. The sophomore amassed 54 tackles, 23.5 tackles for a loss, three forced fumbles, two passes batted and 13 sacks. He finished sixth for the Heisman Trophy. He is described in his scouting report as being "a once in a generation type defender" don't see that to often in a guys scouting report.

SEC hype. He's good but if he played in the big ten he wouldn't be covered like this and it all took off after that one play. Last 3 games he has 8 tackles total.

steeldawg
09-29-2013, 12:55 AM
SEC hype. He's good but if he played in the big ten he wouldn't be covered like this and it all took off after that one play. Last 3 games he has 8 tackles total.

Clowney was being scouted since high school, he was in the running for the Heisman last season before he made that hit. That hit just made your casual football fan notice him but this kid has had the eye of football teams and scouts for awhile. Yes he has 8 tackles the last three games because he is double teamed constantly and when teams run the ball they run it away from him also he is playing on a bad foot which he chose to put off surgery till the offseason.

Texasteel
09-29-2013, 10:41 AM
I believe Clowney will be a great Pro player, but there are two things that I have to keep in my mind. 1. We would have to have a horrendous year to be able to get him. 2. Is our defensive line really the reason we are not winning games. I think Adams would make a very good RT, I was hoping that he could handle the left side, but the more that I see him, the less I like him at LT. A great LT is hard to find, and I believe that, if the year continues south, and we end up with the 10 pick or lower, we would have a good chance of finding one.

Now, having said that, things could take a drastic turn, the little light in Adams head could come on, and he could develop into the LT we where hoping he could become. How ever, for now, I'm looking at OT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, right at the moment.

steeldawg
09-29-2013, 10:53 AM
I believe Clowney will be a great Pro player, but there are two things that I have to keep in my mind. 1. We would have to have a horrendous year to be able to get him. 2. Is our defensive line really the reason we are not winning games. I think Adams would make a very good RT, I was hoping that he could handle the left side, but the more that I see him, the less I like him at LT. A great LT is hard to find, and I believe that, if the year continues south, and we end up with the 10 pick or lower, we would have a good chance of finding one.

Now, having said that, things could take a drastic turn, the little light in Adams head could come on, and he could develop into the LT we where hoping he could become. How ever, for now, I'm looking at OT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, right at the moment.

No D-line is not really a "need" for us but it would be an interesting dilemma if we where picking with clowney on the board, its a classic need vs. best player available.

Texasteel
09-29-2013, 10:58 AM
No D-line is not really a "need" for us but it would be an interesting dilemma if we where picking with clowney on the board, its a classic need vs. best player available.

I agree with that. That card would not get to the front in a big hurry. I do think that the Steeler would be talking with several team, and the cost would be high.

LLT
09-29-2013, 02:35 PM

Well...as of now...

I like a LT in the first round but dont really agree with some of the "experts".

I am enamored with OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan 6’7 315 ...as a first round pick. Very good feet and a can play nasty when needed, so my first three picks right now would be

Round 1: OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan 6’7 315
Round 2: ILB Christian Jones, Florida State 6’3 232 ....(who has a red flag and will have to be watched)

If we get a third round comp pick, I would be interested in C.J. Fiedorowicz of Iowa ...6'6 265 lbs
If not... In the 4th, I'd take TE Xavier Grimble from Southern California... 6'5 250 lbs.

st33lersguy
09-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Right now, only the Jaguars look worse than the Steelers. Jaguars will take Bridgewater, making Clowney available. In that situation, I would take Matthews, but Clowney will be perceived as BPA so Colbert will be ecstatic to take Clowney

Godfather
09-29-2013, 03:18 PM
I made a custom Clowney jersey after the Week 1 debacle. Unfortunately I couldn't link to it on the NFL Shop website.

LLT
09-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Right now, only the Jaguars look worse than the Steelers. Jaguars will take Bridgewater, making Clowney available. In that situation, I would take Matthews, but Clowney will be perceived as BPA so Colbert will be ecstatic to take Clowney

Matthews worries me a bit. Not sure if he has the feet for the left side. I have Taylor Lewan as my #11 best player (as of now) and in my humble opionion is the #1 left tackle if nothing changes. I think we will pick in the 5-11 slot, so when looking at the Need/BPA ratio...I would take Lewan over Clowney.

I know some will disagree with that....but I think Lewan will rise on most boards before the year is over.

steelerdude15
09-29-2013, 03:26 PM

I guess no one has followed the Giants? They look even worse then the Steelers.

LLT
09-29-2013, 03:34 PM
I guess no one has followed the Giants? They look even worse then the Steelers.

Agreed, also think that the Cardinals, Rams, Bucs, and Redskins are in the running for that #1 pick.

steelerdude15
09-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Agreed, also think that the Cardinals, Rams, Bucs, and Redskins are in the running for that #1 pick.

Lets be real here, we all know the Jaguars will have the number one pick. If the Steelers have a couple of down years, they do and there is nothing we can do about it. Just support them through thick and thin.

Texasteel
09-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Matthews worries me a bit. Not sure if he has the feet for the left side. I have Taylor Lewan as my #11 best player (as of now) and in my humble opionion is the #1 left tackle if nothing changes. I think we will pick in the 5-11 slot, so when looking at the Need/BPA ratio...I would take Lewan over Clowney.

I know some will disagree with that....but I think Lewan will rise on most boards before the year is over.

I'm thinking the same as LLT. Who ever takes Matthews will likely have one heck of a RT, but IMO, not a LT. We need a LT. I am even more convinced of this after watching Adams fumble his way through this last game. Clowney will likely be a hell of a player, and have several teams foaming at the mouth. If we do slide bad enough to have the 2nd, or 3rd pick that pick will be very valuable. I personally would be thinking about trading down in the 8 to 10 range targeting Lewan. That could give us the picks to grab a stud TE, ILB, or WR. ( I'm thinking Sanders will be gone.)

Dwinsgames
09-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Well...as of now...

I like a LT in the first round but dont really agree with some of the "experts".

I am enamored with OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan 6’7 315 ...as a first round pick. Very good feet and a can play nasty when needed, so my first three picks right now would be

Round 1: OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan 6’7 315
Round 2: ILB Christian Jones, Florida State 6’3 232 ....(who has a red flag and will have to be watched)

If we get a third round comp pick, I would be interested in C.J. Fiedorowicz of Iowa ...6'6 265 lbs
If not... In the 4th, I'd take TE Xavier Grimble from Southern California... 6'5 250 lbs.

Heath Millers twin ..... I love this kid

NJarhead
09-30-2013, 08:53 AM
How depressing is it that we're discussing next years draft in September?

:frusty:

Texasteel
09-30-2013, 09:26 AM

Some of us talk draft year round. Don't fret it, the sun will still come up, and the cowboys will still be jealous of the Steelers team, just not this Steelers team.

NJarhead
09-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Some of us talk draft year round. Don't fret it, the sun will still come up, and the cowboys will still be jealous of the Steelers team, just not this Steelers team.

Well that makes me feel better. haha. Guess I never noticed.

Not to be blinded by black & gold glasses, but we're only 2 games out of first and two of our losses were against NFC teams. Just sayin.

st33lersguy
09-30-2013, 12:20 PM

It's depressing that we are talking about having a top 5 pick and discussing draft prospects slated to go in the top 10

NJarhead
09-30-2013, 12:21 PM
It's depressing that we are talking about having a top 5 pick and discussing draft prospects slated to go in the top 10

I guess that's what I was getting at. Oh well.

Shoes
10-06-2013, 12:25 AM
No, we don't need him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/steve-spurrier-frustrated-star-jadeveon-clowney-034343634--ncaaf.html

steeldawg
10-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Ya he is prepping for the draft this is nothing more than Im sitting on a payday and all I need to do is not get injured. Im sorry but these guys are giving these kids nothing if he doesn't want to risk his future for a south Carolina team that's not that good and steve spurriers next contract I cant say I blame him. It reminds me of what happened to sam Bradford when everyone told him to not come out as the number 1 pick, to stay in school and get an education. First play of the season out with shoulder injury, now luckily for Bradford he was ok and still signed his big deal the next season, but wow what bad advice.

Texasteel
10-06-2013, 11:41 AM
If he or anyone else thinks he can help his draft status by laying back hoping not to be injured he's may have a surprise coming. I wouldn't think that he would be faking minor injuries, but if it's true that the coach didn't even know he was not playing till the player told him it doesn't sound good. I've seen many a player start a draft day slide just that way.

st33lersguy
10-06-2013, 02:03 PM
No, we don't need him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/steve-spurrier-frustrated-star-jadeveon-clowney-034343634--ncaaf.html

Future bust. He cannot be counted on to give the full effort required to be great

steeldawg
10-06-2013, 03:22 PM
If he or anyone else thinks he can help his draft status by laying back hoping not to be injured he's may have a surprise coming. I wouldn't think that he would be faking minor injuries, but if it's true that the coach didn't even know he was not playing till the player told him it doesn't sound good. I've seen many a player start a draft day slide just that way.

I don't think clowney has much to worry about as far as showing what he can do. Teams that need a pass rusher are not passing on him.

Steeldude
10-06-2013, 04:07 PM

Didn't you know? Players prove they can hang in the NFL without having to play...lol.

Texasteel
10-06-2013, 05:18 PM
I don't think clowney has much to worry about as far as showing what he can do. Teams that need a pass rusher are not passing on him.

If he go all year telling the coach, " I can't play today, I'vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv got a sore hip, that it, a sore hip." That is going to get the attention of the nfl teams, and I think it will play into their decisions.

steeldawg
10-06-2013, 06:21 PM
If he go all year telling the coach, " I can't play today, I'vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv got a sore hip, that it, a sore hip." That is going to get the attention of the nfl teams, and I think it will play into their decisions.

Clowney is going to be a top pick, nothing outside of a catastrophic injury was going to change that. So I understand not putting yourself at risk I wouldn't either, there is much more at stake if he plays banged up than if he sits .

Count Steeler
10-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Clowney is going to be a top pick, nothing outside of a catastrophic injury was going to change that. So I understand not putting yourself at risk I wouldn't either, there is much more at stake if he plays banged up than if he sits .

But why was that a surprise to the coaching staff? Injury is one thing, not wanting to help your team and put out 100% is another. However, you have already stated that you are OK with that level of non-commitment.

steeldawg
10-06-2013, 06:59 PM
But why was that a surprise to the coaching staff? Injury is one thing, not wanting to help your team and put out 100% is another. However, you have already stated that you are OK with that level of non-commitment.

Its not just not wanting to help his teammates, im sure he does but it comes down to the risk. Your risking a career, a position in the nfl, and millions of dollars in contract money and endorsements. What does he get if he helps his teammates and he blows out a knee? Are his teammates going to help him? is south Carolina going to help him? Its easy to say he should go out and play and it sounds nice to say he should do it for his teammates and all of that love of the game stuff but the harsh reality is he needs to protect himself and do whats best for him because his future depends on it.

Texasteel
10-06-2013, 07:16 PM

High pick IMO is not the question. Going from 1 or 2, to a possible 8 or 9 could be. We both have seen this sort of thing happen. Nothing is more unpredictable than a team that says to itself, the kid looks great except for this one thing. It's like saying to a team in their interview, " I'm just in this for the money". You may think it, but it's a bad idea to say it.

By the way, I hope the young man isn't dogging it, and is truthful in what he is telling the coaches. He is a very good player.

steeldawg
10-06-2013, 07:25 PM
High pick IMO is not the question. Going from 1 or 2, to a possible 8 or 9 could be. We both have seen this sort of thing happen. Nothing is more unpredictable than a team that says to itself, the kid looks great except for this one thing. It's like saying to a team in their interview, " I'm just in this for the money". You may think it, but it's a bad idea to say it.

With the rookie wage scale dropping from 1 to 2 or 8 to 9 is not that big of difference. Clowney will not be a guy a team lets slide especially if a team is need of a pass rusher, I wouldn't even be surprised if he has some insight into which teams are looking to draft him. This is why guys should be able to enter the draft when they feel they are ready so they are not put into these situations .

Texasteel
10-06-2013, 07:29 PM
With the rookie wage scale dropping from 1 to 2 or 8 to 9 is not that big of difference. Clowney will not be a guy a team lets slide especially if a team is need of a pass rusher, I wouldn't even be surprised if he has some insight into which teams are looking to draft him. This is why guys should be able to enter the draft when they feel they are ready so they are not put into these situations .

That's no big trick. That would be any team drafting in the first 5 spots.

st33lersguy
10-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Its not just not wanting to help his teammates, im sure he does but it comes down to the risk. Your risking a career, a position in the nfl, and millions of dollars in contract money and endorsements. What does he get if he helps his teammates and he blows out a knee? Are his teammates going to help him? is south Carolina going to help him? Its easy to say he should go out and play and it sounds nice to say he should do it for his teammates and all of that love of the game stuff but the harsh reality is he needs to protect himself and do whats best for him because his future depends on it.

It's called character. Dogging it and hurting the team just for your own future shows selfishness and a lack of character. If I have a top 10 pick, I want a guy who will give me 100% all the time no matter what, not some guy who will slack off and hurt his team just because he sees a personal benefit.

steeldawg
10-06-2013, 07:41 PM
It's called character. Dogging it and hurting the team just for your own future shows selfishness and a lack of character. If I have a top 10 pick, I want a guy who will give me 100% all the time no matter what, not some guy who will slack off and hurt his team just because he sees a personal benefit.

Ya that sounds great and its easy to say that from your couch, Its not your future that's on the line. The only reason he is there is because of a rule making him be there, so he is supposed to risk his whole future for the greater good of the south Carolina football program? That's BS!!!

Count Steeler
10-06-2013, 07:42 PM

So by your logic, all pro prospect seniors and players that know they are declaring for the draft should abstain from playing. Else wise, the risk of injury is too great.

steeldawg
10-06-2013, 07:46 PM
So by your logic, all pro prospect seniors and players that know they are declaring for the draft should abstain from playing. Else wise, the risk of injury is too great.

No but a guy like clowney who is a sure top 5 pick why play banged up at all and risk injury. If your looking at being a 2nd 3rd or 4th round pick a good senior season could drastically effect your draft position, but for clowney even if he has a spectacular season wins the Heisman and national championship he is still getting drafted in the same spot. He can only hurt himself by playing.

Count Steeler
10-06-2013, 07:52 PM
No but a guy like clowney who is a sure top 5 pick why play banged up at all and risk injury. If your looking at being a 2nd 3rd or 4th round pick a good senior season could drastically effect your draft position, but for clowney even if he has a spectacular season wins the Heisman and national championship he is still getting drafted in the same spot. He can only hurt himself by playing.

Maybe reread the article and my post. IF he is banged up, why was the coach surprised? This is not about injuries, this is about a prima donna attitude and a lack of willingness to play. 2 characteristics that enamor you, for some reason.

- - - Updated - - -

To be clear I am talking about the link that Shoes posted:

Jadeveon Clowney’s ailments are starting to wear on South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier.

Clowney, a Heisman candidate, missed Saturday’s game against Kentucky because of bruised ribs. And Spurrier had no idea his supposed star player was going to miss the game until Clowney informed him.

"I will just say he told me he couldn’t play,” Spurrier said of how he learned Clowney wouldn’t dress.

Clowney missed practice on Thursday, but defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward told media he thought Clowney would play. Clowney was even announced with the starters prior to the game.

But he strolled out of the tunnel without his pads and Spurrier couldn’t help but sound off about Clowney’s decision.

"If he wants to play, we will welcome him to come play for the team if he wants," Spurrier said.

Can’t blame Spurrier for showing his frustration with Clowney. He was supposed to be a star defensive end that could compete for the Heisman Trophy. But through five games this season, Clowney has complained of various ailments. He was sick before the North Carolina and Central Florida games. He’s been working through bone spurs in his right foot, an injury he’s nursed since high school. And now he has bruised ribs.

steeldawg
10-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Maybe reread the article and my post. IF he is banged up, why was the coach surprised? This is not about injuries, this is about a prima donna attitude and a lack of willingness to play. 2 characteristics that enamor you, for some reason.

No this about a rule that makes a kid stay there so they can bank more money off him, not give him a dime and then expect him to go out and put his body on the line while he his on the verge of a lucrative career. Its glory of the game bs, he should give 100%, Its about the team, he's a prima donna, he's selfish. Its ridiculous for clowney to sacrifice his body for a school that's giving him nothing when there are nfl teams willing to pay him boat loads of money to do it, so you can spare me the its about the team crap.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

To be clear I am talking about the link that Shoes posted:

Jadeveon Clowney’s ailments are starting to wear on South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier.

Clowney, a Heisman candidate, missed Saturday’s game against Kentucky because of bruised ribs. And Spurrier had no idea his supposed star player was going to miss the game until Clowney informed him.

"I will just say he told me he couldn’t play,” Spurrier said of how he learned Clowney wouldn’t dress.

Clowney missed practice on Thursday, but defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward told media he thought Clowney would play. Clowney was even announced with the starters prior to the game.

But he strolled out of the tunnel without his pads and Spurrier couldn’t help but sound off about Clowney’s decision.

"If he wants to play, we will welcome him to come play for the team if he wants," Spurrier said.

Can’t blame Spurrier for showing his frustration with Clowney. He was supposed to be a star defensive end that could compete for the Heisman Trophy. But through five games this season, Clowney has complained of various ailments. He was sick before the North Carolina and Central Florida games. He’s been working through bone spurs in his right foot, an injury he’s nursed since high school. And now he has bruised ribs.

Yes I read the article and I said its nothing more than him saying eff this im not going to get hurt for spurrier or south Carolina I have bigger things on the horizon.

st33lersguy
Ya that sounds great and its easy to say that from your couch, Its not your future that's on the line. The only reason he is there is because of a rule making him be there, so he is supposed to risk his whole future for the greater good of the south Carolina football program? That's BS!!!

If NFL greats like Jim Brown, Jerry Rice, Dick Butkus, Joe Greene, Lawrence Taylor were in this kind of situation, you think they would just sit out games to avoid injury risks? NO WAY!

Count Steeler
No this about a rule that makes a kid stay there so they can bank more money off him, not give him a dime and then expect him to go out and put his body on the line while he his on the verge of a lucrative career. Its glory of the game bs, he should give 100%, Its about the team, he's a prima donna, he's selfish. Its ridiculous for clowney to sacrifice his body for a school that's giving him nothing when there are nfl teams willing to pay him boat loads of money to do it, so you can spare me the its about the team crap.

So where do you draw the line? Prospective 2nd or 3rd round NFL draftees should play? Only top ten prospects should not play?

steeldawg
10-06-2013, 08:10 PM
So where do you draw the line? Prospective 2nd or 3rd round NFL draftees should play? Only top ten prospects should not play?
No you eliminate they rule that keeps kids playing college ball when they should be drafted. Clowney wouldn't even be in this spot if the rule wasn't in place he would of been drafted last season.

Steeldude
10-07-2013, 06:57 AM

Exactly