PDA

View Full Version : Fire Tomlin, Fire Bicknell, Trade Ben, reboot

Mistah Q
09-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Probably fire Haley too. Get a nice high draft pick for Ben. Encourage Troy to retire. Hell... cut Gilbert too.

Yes friends I'm hitting the meltdown button. Might as well -- finish this season terrible, get a nice high draft pick and have plenty of cap room, the latter half of this season can be for adjusting to the new staff so we can start next season without the growing pains.

This doesn't need to be long and painful - rip off the bandage now, we'll be back next season.

siss
09-22-2013, 11:52 PM
Get a gripe and go read the optimist thread!

Mistah Q
09-22-2013, 11:56 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-r1cWwg5Dl0w/TY_SL3p5crI/AAAAAAAARb8/N2_Kdu7K0e4/s640/blog+212.jpg

steelreserve
09-23-2013, 12:21 AM
Probably fire Haley too. Get a nice high draft pick for Ben. Encourage Troy to retire. Hell... cut Gilbert too.

Yes friends I'm hitting the meltdown button. Might as well -- finish this season terrible, get a nice high draft pick and have plenty of cap room, the latter half of this season can be for adjusting to the new staff so we can start next season without the growing pains.

This doesn't need to be long and painful - rip off the bandage now, we'll be back next season.

I hate to break it to you, but no matter what we do, we're not going to have plenty of cap room. Something like $75 million is tied up in six guys next year, and if we cut or trade them, the cap hit becomes even WORSE.

Anyway, at least I'd fire the O-Line coach, because seriously, what the flying fuck are we doing out there with all the picks and money we've spent trying to fix it. The rest.. ahh, I don't know, but I'd suggest drinking.

Lambert_Loonie
09-23-2013, 12:34 AM
I'm not going to argue with you, but I would like to know who you'd like to replace Tomlin, Haley & Ben with.

siss
09-23-2013, 12:47 AM
We are not firing anyone...the answers to the Steelers problems are all within every single one of the guys on the team.

Mistah Q
09-23-2013, 01:03 AM
Trades, extra draft picks, and the expected salary cap increase will help us. We have to eat more of it sooner but I'd be glad to be free of this perpetual long-term cap hell. We're stuck (gladly) with Heath, but go ahead, move Ben, move LaMarr... eat it and pay some rookies peanuts.

I have no idea who you replace Tomlin with. Hey, maybe Cowher or Gruden wants back in... doubt it. We could have an interim guy and then hire Whisenhunt after the season. I would love Bob Stoops.

Who do we replace Ben with? Is Chris Chandler still around? Either give it to Gradkowski, or you bring in Volek or Carr (or Batch?!) to run a dummy offense until they know the system.

I do know the Rooneys won't tolerate this for too long... a losing season is one thing, but we start 0-8, or 1-7, we might see some changes, despite our reputation for stability.

Craic
09-23-2013, 01:16 AM
This thread is actually funny this week. Thanks for making me laugh.

Mistah Q
09-23-2013, 01:20 AM
The more I think about it... I wonder if Cowher would come back here. His daughter's done with school, he's got roots in the area; Rooneys give him all the control he wants. And then we pray we don't wind up with a Slash QB project...

salamander
09-23-2013, 04:59 AM
This thread is actually funny this week. Thanks for making me laugh.

I'm with you on this one.

GoSlash27
09-23-2013, 06:31 AM
I'm with you on this one.
As am I.

zulater
09-23-2013, 07:24 AM
To turn this team in the right direction it could very well start with replacing Colbert and Tomlin. But it's not going to happen anytime before the end of the 2015 season. In order to get fired Tomlin would have to post 3 straight losing seasons with no end in sight. Just the way it is, right or wrong.

silver & black
09-23-2013, 07:29 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way... I'm kinda finding all the threads in here funny............... and sadly, very familiar...lol.

Crow-Magnon
09-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way... I'm kinda finding all the threads in here funny............... and sadly, very familiar...lol.

Every fan forum is the same. The Ravens forum was in meltdown mode after the Denver Debacle, the Texans forum was approaching the China Syndrome yesterday....God only knows what the Niner forum looks like this morning. Predictable...yet totally understandable.

I do know I would NOT want to read all the "who deys" that must be getting posted in the Bengals forum today!

Mistah Q
09-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Let me tell you --

I was an Arians apologist until the day he was fired, and I wasn't even happy about that. I've always been a big supporter of the Front Office, the coaching staff. I even brushed off the first two losses this season - "the O-line will come together just fine..."

But I have to tell you, in 30 years this is the sloppiest team I've ever seen. I'm not sure what you see to make you think the season is going to turn around or the discipline is going to improve at this point. I'm not abandoning the team, but I surely believe some staff changes are on order. I'd just rather get them over with sooner than later.

Psycho Ward 86
09-23-2013, 10:44 AM

lol

steel striker
09-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Lord helps us if the steelers lose to the vikings.

GoSlash27
09-23-2013, 04:37 PM

There will be great wailing and gnashing of teeth :D Perhaps even a few kicked puppies.
/ won't somebody think of the puppies??

zulater
09-23-2013, 05:54 PM

We're a 7 point underdog to the 0-3 Vikings believe it or not.

ALLD
09-23-2013, 06:16 PM
And make Haley HC!

Mistah Q
09-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Can we fire Bicknell now?

st33lersguy
09-29-2013, 04:20 PM

From you personally?

silver & black
09-29-2013, 04:45 PM
From you personally?

Yea.

Mistah Q
11-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Now can we fire him? :lol:

st33lersguy
11-03-2013, 08:13 PM
We should force LeBeau to resign too, he is clearly past his prime

stillers4me
11-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Remember when Marvin Lewis was considered a laughing stock in Cinci? Look at the 2013 Bengals under Lewis now......

Be careful what you wish for.

Shoes
11-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Remember when Marvin Lewis was considered a laughing stock in Cinci? Look at the 2013 Bengals under Lewis now......

Tomlin isn't a laughing stock tho….the sports media has protected him like the news media protected Obama. Zu had it right in calling him Teflon Tom.

Count Steeler
11-03-2013, 08:50 PM
So what do you think? Does Haley feel like the offense gelled today?

Shoes
11-03-2013, 08:53 PM

Not sure, Bro. But I'm sure Bicknell does. :chuckle:

zulater
11-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Funny how the Eagles had no trouble with the Raiders defense today.

Count Steeler
11-03-2013, 09:02 PM

Foles with 7 TDs. Yup, we are on the right road.

Mistah Q
11-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Considering we managed to put up some points despite the horrible O-line, ran the ball, maybe even had a chance if Ben doesn't miss Heath...

I think Haley is the least of our problems right now. Bicknell sure needs to be canned though.

Lambert_Loonie
11-03-2013, 09:08 PM

I wouldn't go as far as saying I'd rather have Marvin Lewis, but I'd sure as hell would rather have Jay Gruden as OC and Mike Zimmer as DC.

Butch
11-03-2013, 09:08 PM
I have one question who is the guy/guys who are making player personel decisions? Let go of Dwyer on the last day of cuts then bring him back in just a week later??? Cut Butler as our punter to bring in a guy who is more expensive and has about the same talent. Then cut the punter we brought in??? This is as bad as the losses we have had. You wonder why this team is so inconsistant look at these decisions...it starts at the top.

zulater
11-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Considering we managed to put up some points despite the horrible O-line, ran the ball, maybe even had a chance if Ben doesn't miss Heath...

I think Haley is the least of our problems right now. Bicknell sure needs to be canned though.

0 points in the 4th quarter again. And notice the Eagles had no trouble with the Raiders defense today. Plus Ben hates the SOB. His sorry ass should have been fired weeks ago.

Count Steeler
11-03-2013, 09:34 PM
I have one question who is the guy/guys who are making player personel decisions? Let go of Dwyer on the last day of cuts then bring him back in just a week later??? Cut Butler as our punter to bring in a guy who is more expensive and has about the same talent. Then cut the punter we brought in??? This is as bad as the losses we have had. You wonder why this team is so inconsistant look at these decisions...it starts at the top.

Yup. Maybe the fans should run the team for a month.

Mistah Q
11-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Plus Ben hates the SOB.
Maybe but Ben has maybe three years of career left. This organization as it is can't offer him a decent shot within that timeframe. It might be in both parties best interest to trade him, as much as I hate the idea... it may be decades before we have another QB like him.

Count Steeler
11-03-2013, 09:42 PM

That is the problem. Just because they put up 31 points, doesn't mean the offensive wows have ended. This was against a sub-par NE defense in a run and gun game. Still lots of problems on O. Still look disorganized and ill prepared. Ben's sandlot play aside.

0 points in the 4th quarter again. And notice the Eagles had no trouble with the Raiders defense today. Plus Ben hates the SOB. His sorry ass should have been fired weeks ago.

Zu, I think you meant the 1st quarter. 0 points.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe but Ben has maybe three years of career left. This organization as it is can't offer him a decent shot within that timeframe. It might be in both parties best interest to trade him, as much as I hate the idea... it may be decades before we have another QB like him.

That is what I am thinking. Stockpile the draft picks, you never know.

GBMelBlount
11-03-2013, 10:11 PM
I hate to break it to you, but no matter what we do, we're not going to have plenty of cap room.

Something like $75 million is tied up in six guys next year, and if we cut or trade them, the cap hit becomes even WORSE.

Anyway, at least I'd fire the O-Line coach, because seriously, what the flying fuck are we doing out there with all the picks and money we've spent trying to fix it. The rest.. ahh, I don't know, but I'd suggest drinking.

THIS.

We are probably stuck between a rock and a hard place for the next few years.

st33lersguy
11-03-2013, 10:13 PM
This team is only going to get worse if we don't clean house

Mistah Q
11-03-2013, 10:47 PM
As far as I'm concerned, rookies and backups should play the rest of the season. Find out what you have, who to keep and whom to expend.

smokin3000gt
11-03-2013, 10:56 PM
The more I think about it... I wonder if Cowher would come back here. His daughter's done with school, he's got roots in the area; Rooneys give him all the control he wants. And then we pray we don't wind up with a Slash QB project...

Cowher's tank has been on empty for a long time. Besides that, his life is on auto pilot. He gets paid a bunch of cash to hang out and talk football. I doubt he or anyone would want to trade that in just to stick their head in the oven.

Dwinsgames
11-03-2013, 10:58 PM
I wont defend Haley but fact of the matter is as horrid as the line is playing we really do not know what he may have accomplished its been doomed before it ever starts ..... this team has more issues than carter has liver pills

tube517
11-04-2013, 02:58 AM

Because we are that bad.

silver & black
11-04-2013, 04:43 AM
And notice the Eagles had no trouble with the Raiders defense today.
What defense? Back to to being the Raiders of the last decade.:rolleyes:

SteelerFanInStl
11-04-2013, 08:02 AM
I wouldn't go as far as saying I'd rather have Marvin Lewis, but I'd sure as hell would rather have Jay Gruden as OC and Mike Zimmer as DC.

That's exactly what has made Lewis a "better" coach. The Bengals hired good coaches to help him. The Steelers have done a poor job of hiring coaches, mainly just hiring guys with ties to the Steelers or the Pittsburgh area.

dislocatedday
11-04-2013, 08:37 AM
While I am not making excuses for the coaching staff, does anybody else think the bigger problem is an overall lack of talented football players on this squad? Outside of the older veterans who are still playing excellent football (Troy, Ben, Ike, Heath, Timmons), the only young guys who are consistently excelling IMO and look like very good football players today are Antonio Brown, David DeCastro, and Fernando Velasco (I'm excepting Maurkice Pouncey due to injury). Cam Heyward and Leveon Bell have high-level talent and look like they are on the path to becoming excellent to great players.

There are very young guys still learning as well who I think will get it going for this team in the future (Shamarko Thomas, Jarvis Jones, Cortez Allen), but that is about it. Everywhere else I see mediocrity at best, and pitiful play more often than not.

I do think Haley is a mismatch for this squad. However, when the O-line was intact and playing consistently well in the middle of last season, the offense looked productive for a few games in a row and Ben was playing lights out............so maybe his offense is not the problem, but the injuries and talent of the tackles on this O-line are the bigger problem for this offense.

plenewken
11-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Do you really think our older veterans are still playing excellent football? C'mon! Troy is pretty much inexistant in coverage, misses a bunch of tackles and commits stupid penalties, Ike is directly responsible for at least 2 big plays by the opponent week in and week out, Ben consistently puts us in a deep hole right from the get go, oh and don't even get me started with Woodley.
This team is a wreck on both sides of the ball, no ifs ands or buts, and our veterans are not playing up to the standard we expect from them, much less considering the $$$ we pay them.

dislocatedday
11-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Do you really think our older veterans are still playing excellent football? C'mon! Troy is pretty much inexistant in coverage, misses a bunch of tackles and commits stupid penalties, Ike is directly responsible for at least 2 big plays by the opponent week in and week out, Ben consistently puts us in a deep hole right from the get go, oh and don't even get me started with Woodley.
This team is a wreck on both sides of the ball, no ifs ands or buts, and our veterans are not playing up to the standard we expect from them, much less considering the $$$ we pay them.

I do think Troy and Ike are having great years. Ike consistently shuts down the opposing team's top receiver, and has done so for years including this one. No matter how good a CB is, he is going to get beat sometimes. Ike is no exception in that regard. I don't think there are many CBs better than him in this league, and I feel Ike has been under-appreciated for years IMO. Troy is asked to do everything for this D and he nearly does. I've seen him break up plenty of pass plays this year. Yesterday was a sub-par game for him, but yes overall he has been stellar this season.

While Ben's play seems to be a point of debate among fans, I wholeheartedly think Ben is still an elite player at his position. Many disagree, but I think Ben is not one of the problems on this team. With this Oline (primarily the tackles) he is consistently trying to squeeze lemonade out of lemons while under durress. I also think the playcalling is suspect this year and not varied enough. Why does this team hardly run any quick slant patterns with the receivers? The quick passes are always bubble screens to the wide receivers.

steeldawg
11-04-2013, 11:01 AM
I do think Troy and Ike are having great years. Ike consistently shuts down the opposing team's top receiver, and has done so for years including this one. No matter how good a CB is, he is going to get beat sometimes. Ike is no exception in that regard. I don't think there are many CBs better than him in this league, and I feel Ike has been under-appreciated for years IMO. Troy is asked to do everything for this D and he nearly does. I've seen him break up plenty of pass plays this year. Yesterday was a sub-par game for him, but yes overall he has been stellar this season.

While Ben's play seems to be a point of debate among fans, I wholeheartedly think Ben is still an elite player at his position. Many disagree, but I think Ben is not one of the problems on this team. With this Oline (primarily the tackles) he is consistently trying to squeeze lemonade out of lemons while under durress. I also think the playcalling is suspect this year and not varied enough. Why does this team hardly run any quick slant patterns with the receivers? The quick passes are always bubble screens to the wide receivers.

Ben has been playing well this year, I think the problem is we are not real strong at wide receiver, Which is why you don't see us start moving the ball till we are down by 2 or 3 touchdowns and the defense tends to back off. With our wide outs we are asking ben to complete more passes more consistently in order to sustain drives, then we put him behind a bad o-line and viola you have an inconsistent offense that puts up a lot of stats trying to dig themselves out of huge holes and also leads to more turnovers.

Psycho Ward 86
11-04-2013, 03:43 PM

"subpar" and "solid" have got to be the most overused and abused words around here. Troy was awful yesterday. 3 gut wrenching penalties, and getting roasted on a plethora of big plays. Yes, nice forced fumble troy, but im tired of hearing that "troy is back." The troy of 2004-2008 is looooong gone. Even in 2010 when he won dpoy, he wasnt nearly as good as he was from 2004-2008. Troy has lost many steps in pass coverage before this game against the patriots ever happened. Seemed very obvious to me, but i guess when people throw around troy compliments and nod in general agreement, people just pretend its true. He's still basically the same guy when blitzing and attacking the run. But thats it. He isnt feared like he used to. How many times have we seen Troy challenged in the past couple of years? There was a time when troy was truly invincible. Invincible players dont get challenged, especially not with frequency.

not saying troy is part of the problem. he just shouldnt be getting as much credit this season as he has been getting imo.

And this is slightly off topic but damn. Hindsight is a painful thing. If we knew we were going to be this bad this season, it wouldve been nice to let sanders go and cut ike and take the cap hit for this season so that we couldve locked up keenan for cheap. Keenan in new orleans. look how thats working out . sorry to beat a dead horse people

JayC
11-04-2013, 05:07 PM
keenan might not be a big time name but he should have been resigned for sure. unlike tomlin, i don't think the cowher regime would have let him walk like that

SteelerFanInStl
11-04-2013, 06:06 PM
keenan might not be a big time name but he should have been resigned for sure. unlike tomlin, i don't think the cowher regime would have let him walk like that

Keenan didn't want to stay in Pittsburgh. He wanted to go to New Orleans to be closer to his family.

st33lersguy
11-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Keenan didn't want to stay in Pittsburgh. He wanted to go to New Orleans to be closer to his family.

Bet Keenan sure is glad he didn't stay in this crap show