PDA

View Full Version : The optimist thread

siss
09-22-2013, 11:42 PM
Look, we might not:mad2:be very good this year. We don't have a running game :censored:and our defense sucks :frusty:and we will go 0-16 and Ben will be in traction at the end of the year:rip:And (*(&#^ turnovers, I hate (#&$^ turnovers (I wanna ring Ben's neck:thumbdown:)! The Steelers may take sucking to whole new level this year:puke:.

:alcohol::frusty::frusty::alcoholic:

On the other hand 0-3 could turn into 13-3:crossed:, Ben is declared MVP:cheer2: and our running game finds its ability again and the defense could remember they are the ($&#& Pittsburgh *#&@^ Steelers and knock a *#&@ QB to the *$&@( ground:tt02::tt02::tt02:.

Either way, your gonna have pry the Terrible Towel out of my cold dead hand!:tt02:

IF you still believe, wave your towel!:tt02:

We might suck the chrome off a door knob, but the Steelers are my team!:tt02:

:applaudit::tt03::peace::cheer2::tt02::tt02::tt02:

blackngldblood
09-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Agreed. I hate every other team in this league with a passion. I will never not be a Steeler fan. Period. On that note, pass me the bottle. Daddies fallin' off the wagon tonight........................................... ................

siss
09-22-2013, 11:49 PM
Lots of Alcohol might be the way to get through this season!
:alcoholic:

blackngldblood
09-22-2013, 11:53 PM
.............But alas, I am a recovering alcoholic......... At least my job doesn't suck, oh wait......

siss
09-23-2013, 12:04 AM
.............But alas, I am a recovering alcoholic......... At least my job doesn't suck, oh wait......

Root beer...lots of root beer for you my friend...

AND CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SOBRIETY....THERE ARE SOMETHINGS WAAAAYYYY MORE IMPORTANT THAN A STEELER LOSS (or their inability to NOT PLAY DEFENSE!)!!!!!!!!

blackngldblood
09-23-2013, 12:17 AM
Root beer...lots of root beer for you my friend...

AND CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SOBRIETY....THERE ARE SOMETHINGS WAAAAYYYY MORE IMPORTANT THAN A STEELER LOSS (or their inability to NOT PLAY DEFENSE!)!!!!!!!!
You are correct! You may be my new favorite person around here, not being all doomy and whatnot! We can just ride this storm out together.

- - - Updated - - -

And I am being pretty doomy tonight, and for that I apologize.

steelreserve
09-23-2013, 12:23 AM

This season? WTH are you talking about? Lots of alcohol is the way through EVERY season.

Steeldude
09-23-2013, 12:24 AM
How is this optimism?

siss
09-23-2013, 12:37 AM
Watch this clip while waving your terrible towel with Big Bens drive in the Super Bowl...Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vtWB4owdE

This situation requires a really futile and stupid gesture!

GoSlash27
09-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Very serious optimism:
Our big problems this year have been 1) offensive (literally) line play 2) no running game, and 3) turnovers. Problem #1 has been steadily improving and problem #2 looked to be fixed last night. So all we're dealing with now is a team that's beating themselves with turnovers, and we've seen/ fixed that before.
I think we're at the turning point.

Dwinsgames
09-23-2013, 07:04 AM
what is the difference in having your ass handed to you and not being competitive and having your ass handed to you and being competitive ......

the word NOT , they are the same exact thing in every other way ...

a loss is a loss being competitive only leave you open to hope and gives you a bigger heart ache when its over

HollywoodSteel
09-23-2013, 09:11 AM
what is the difference in having your ass handed to you and not being competitive and having your ass handed to you and being competitive ......

the word NOT , they are the same exact thing in every other way ...

a loss is a loss being competitive only leave you open to hope and gives you a bigger heart ache when its over

In a way it's even worse because we could easily be 2-1 or even 3-0 had a few choice plays gone differently. To me when all those plays go the other way that's a sign of bad coaching and bad practicing. Honestly, I put this loss on Ben's shoulders. Our line is what it is but he made it worse than it had to be. He will never be Tom Brady or Peyton Mnning because he doesn't put in the work that they do. Can you imagine one of them having a game with those kinds of mistakes? They'd be sleeping at the facility, never leaving until they had their aim and timing perfect. But of course, they do that leading up to the season and every week in practice so this kind of thing doesnt happen. Ben thinks he can just want it bad enough and rely on his natural physical ability to be enough because that's worked for him in the past. Imagine if he had the work ethic of the real hall of famers of the current QB crop. He could be one of the best ever.

Psycho Ward 86
09-23-2013, 10:43 AM
lol @ our O-line play steadily improving. As if that means anything at all

HollywoodSteel
09-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Okay, if this is the optimist thread then I herby invoke an unprecedented early season Pimply Dan! We can loose no more...

fansince'76
09-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Honestly, I put this loss on Ben's shoulders. Our line is what it is but he made it worse than it had to be. He will never be Tom Brady or Peyton Mnning because he doesn't put in the work that they do. Can you imagine one of them having a game with those kinds of mistakes? They'd be sleeping at the facility, never leaving until they had their aim and timing perfect. But of course, they do that leading up to the season and every week in practice so this kind of thing doesnt happen.

I'd like to add a caveat - have 'em do it behind this OL. And when they're carted off the field on a stretcher after Adams/Gilbert once again stood by cluelessly with their thumb up their ass while a DE/LB runs by them unmolested for the hit/sack, then we'll see. Especially the Mighty Metrosexual, who throws a goddamn hissy fit and screams at the refs to throw a flag every time a defender so much gets into the same ZIP code as he's in.

The box score only shows 2 sacks for the game last night. But I guarantee you, Ben is feeling the effects of DOZENS of hits all the same while he sits in the Whirlpool today.

Hawkman
09-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Special teams seem to be improving. No splash, but coverage was good, and SS was solid. Still not sure about the punter. Was he really better than Butler and the other guy (sorry can't remember his name).

stillers4me
09-23-2013, 04:13 PM
At least we aren't as bad as the Browns........

Never mind.

GoSlash27
09-23-2013, 04:34 PM
lol @ our O-line play steadily improving. As if that means anything at all

It does, actually. Week 1 we were on fire, flooding, and dead in the water. Week 2, the fire was out. Now the flooding's stopped and we're just dead in the water.

As of today the only thing that's keeping us from winning is turnovers. We've been here before and we know how to fix it.

ALLD
09-23-2013, 04:36 PM
We will have a great draft pick if we keep it up!

Count Steeler
09-23-2013, 04:46 PM
The sun will come out tomorrow.

HollywoodSteel
09-23-2013, 06:18 PM
It does, actually. Week 1 we were on fire, flooding, and dead in the water. Week 2, the fire was out. Now the flooding's stopped and we're just dead in the water.

As of today the only thing that's keeping us from winning is turnovers. We've been here before and we know how to fix it.

Who exactly do you think knows how to fix it? And how does that work? I'm being serious. Do you see someone working with Ben on his accuracy? Do you see someone teaching the O-line how to do their job better in such a way that, for some reason, hasn't accord to that teacher before now? Do you see Tomlin just willing these fixes into existence by his sheer presence?

I certainly can see Ben improving, but only if he takes it on himself to do so and puts in the extra work. Perhaps the same is true with the individual running backs and members of the O-line, but right now I don't see any offensive guru on the staff who can teach these guys how to do things any better. If so, why have they been keeping this precious info from the players for the past couple of months?

As far as the defense goes, it's hard to teach guys how to generate turnovers. You can teach them how to do their jobs, and hopefully the turnovers will come. Maybe some of the defenders should be trusting their instincts more and jumping routes and such. I'm not sure, but the one guy on the coaching staff I trust with actually teaching guys how to do their jobs is LaBeau. We know for a fact that his plays and playcalling in the right hands will generate the turnovers. Without a (healthy) James Harrison maybe he needs Jarvis Jones to get a lot better very quickly. Also, it seems just sick how deflections never seem to bounce the right way for us, even going back to all of last year.

- - - Updated - - -

We will have a great draft pick if we keep it up!

If we trade down, maybe even several! How bad do you think the Browns will want to get Bridgewater before the Jags get a chance to take him?

I'm (mostly) kidding.

siss
11-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Watch this clip while waving your terrible towel with Big Bens drive in the Super Bowl...Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vtWB4owdE

This situation requires a really futile and stupid gesture!

I just re-read this post and I just want to say thank you to Ian Rappaport. He was just the stupid gesture we needed!

zulater
11-18-2013, 09:45 PM
I just re-read this post and I just want to say thank you to Ian Rappaport. He was just the stupid gesture we needed!

The only gesture that was needed was exactly opposite of stupid, that being turn the offense over to Ben right from the start of the game, and let him run his preferred no huddle offense and throwing out Todd Haley's stupid fucking script. Had we figured this out say oh 9 games ago, our record is probably no worse than 6-4, possibly even 7-3 right now.

X-Terminator
11-18-2013, 09:55 PM
The only gesture that was needed was exactly opposite of stupid, that being turn the offense over to Ben right from the start of the game, and let him run his preferred no huddle offense and throwing out Todd Haley's stupid fucking script. Had we figured this out say oh 9 games ago, our record is probably no worse than 6-4, possibly even 7-3 right now.

+1

Looking at the play-by-play of the game yesterday and seeing "No Huddle, Shotgun" so many times put a smile on my face. Todd Haley needs to play the role of Peyton Manning's OC in Denver. Just show up for work every day, look at some film, come up with a plan and then hand the reigns over to Ben.

Dwinsgames
11-18-2013, 09:56 PM
In a way it's even worse because we could easily be 2-1 or even 3-0 had a few choice plays gone differently. To me when all those plays go the other way that's a sign of bad coaching and bad practicing. Honestly, I put this loss on Ben's shoulders. Our line is what it is but he made it worse than it had to be. He will never be Tom Brady or Peyton Manning because he doesn't put in the work that they do. Can you imagine one of them having a game with those kinds of mistakes? They'd be sleeping at the facility, never leaving until they had their aim and timing perfect. But of course, they do that leading up to the season and every week in practice so this kind of thing doesnt happen. Ben thinks he can just want it bad enough and rely on his natural physical ability to be enough because that's worked for him in the past. Imagine if he had the work ethic of the real hall of famers of the current QB crop. He could be one of the best ever.

and we wonder where these " journalists" get their material from ?

this was posted nearly a month before we see the article about Ben not putting in the work Manning does .....

( not picking on ya Hollywood )

some people are ahead of the curve , some people behind the curve and others just get hit by the curve

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9980185/ben-roethlisberger-reiterates-commitment-pittsburgh-steelers

way to feed em Hollywood , did they even bother to send you a royalty check ?

siss
11-18-2013, 10:19 PM
That was a quote from the movie!

Seven
11-18-2013, 10:20 PM
+1

Looking at the play-by-play of the game yesterday and seeing "No Huddle, Shotgun" so many times put a smile on my face. Todd Haley needs to play the role of Peyton Manning's OC in Denver. Just show up for work every day, look at some film, come up with a plan and then hand the reigns over to Ben.

I've been saying this for years. Just let Ben go out there and play football. Run Haley's offense, Arians' offense, whatever. Just let one of the best quarterbacks in history play quarterback. Does anyone seriously think Todd Haley is a significantly better in game play caller than Ben?

Dwinsgames
11-18-2013, 10:23 PM
I've been saying this for years. Just let Ben go out there and play football. Run Haley's offense, Arians' offense, whatever. Just let one of the best quarterbacks in history play quarterback. Does anyone seriously think Todd Haley is a significantly better in game play caller than Ben?

honestly I think that can be said for a lot of QBs .... nobody has a better feel for the ebb and flow of a game than someone actually playing it

GoSlash27
11-19-2013, 06:28 AM
Revisiting the earlier comments in this thread :D

We started this season a 1-4 team. We got our act together and have since gone 3-2. I expect us to continue improving over the season, though not as dramatically.