PDA

View Full Version : Steelers rookie rusher Dwyer struggling to make transition

tony hipchest
08-08-2010, 11:39 PM
all reports are in addition to being injured, he is really blowing goats when he gets on the field.

when your competition is summers, redman, and the eagles dud, you really wanna show more to earn a roster spot. this quote from the article makes me think he may come around, but makes me wonder if he has what it takes to work on a pro level in the first place.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_694056.html

During voluntary workouts, Dwyer, who starred at Georgia Tech, made several impressive runs and looked like a potential backup to starter Rashard Mendenhall.
Once training camp began, Dwyer looked like a different player -- out of sorts, and perhaps, even a little out of shape.
Dwyer said he arrived to camp in good shape, although hamstring injuries, especially with a rookie, can indicate a lack of conditioning.
"I felt like I did enough, but being hurt is a setback for anybody,'' Dwyer said. "I'm just trying to get back in shape. This is a learning experience for me how to take care of my body better, to realize what it takes to become a professional.
"Everybody goes through trials and tribulations in their lives. This will make me stronger. It's not about getting through each day. It's about doing your best each day and figure out what you did wrong and improving the next day.''

kmsteelerwr15
08-09-2010, 12:03 AM
all reports are in addition to being injured, he is really blowing goats when he gets on the field.

when your competition is summers, redman, and the eagles dud, you really wanna show more to earn a roster spot. this quote from the article makes me think he may come around, but makes me wonder if he has what it takes to work on a pro level in the first place.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_694056.html

He has the right attitude about it all and I'm confident he will begin to turn it around.

Galax Steeler
08-09-2010, 03:26 AM
I think he will be fine just needs more playing time and learn the system. If I remember right Mendenhall struggled some as well.

Austin87
08-09-2010, 05:03 AM
He is a rookie and most rookies will struggle in training camp. Given time he should improve.

zulater
08-09-2010, 05:07 AM
I hope he gets some sort of injury late in preseason so he can be stashed on IR for a season. I think the talent is there, he's just not quite ready for the league.

Redman is the guy by all accounts who's earned the job. It's going to be hard to keep him off the final 53 this year.

vrabinec
08-09-2010, 08:09 AM
I hope he gets some sort of injury late in preseason so he can be stashed on IR for a season. I think the talent is there, he's just not quite ready for the league.

Redman is the guy by all accounts who's earned the job. It's going to be hard to keep him off the final 53 this year.

Screw that. Stick him on the roster and let him work his way into the groove. You put him on IR and you can't touch him all year. Moore's getting older and who knows how durable Mendy will be over a 16 game season. Who are you gonna carry as the 4th back if it's not him? Vincent? Vincent's a decent enough player, but I'd rather have Dwyer as an option come mid-season.

steelpride12
08-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Hey not great players in the league came out and shined their rookie season. I think over time he will learn the system and begin to turn some heads, we all know his talent is NFL worthy and once he get's his TC feet Im sure he will be impressing.

Killer
08-09-2010, 08:39 AM
You can't make the team in the tub.

Better show up quick.

LLT
08-09-2010, 09:02 AM
I'm getting mixed signals with Dwyer.

I hear the talking heads say how he isnt doing very well then I read that he had an impressive goal line run....did well against Thadeus Gibson (after whiffing on the first try)...and he is making no excuses.

I am wondering if the FO is selectively giving reporters information so as to light a fire under Dwyers rookie ass.

SteelMember
08-09-2010, 10:29 AM

I hear the talking heads say how he isnt doing very well then I read that he had an impressive goal line run....did well against Thadeus Gibson (after whiffing on the first try)...and he is making no excuses.

I am wondering if the FO is selectively giving reporters information so as to light a fire under Dwyers rookie ass.

I liked the kid in college, but you can't be 100% on how a player might transition to the NFL. It would be a shame, imo, to somehow prove those other 31 teams right about why he was still there in those later rounds. He seemed to really come in with a chip on his shoulder to prove the doubters wrong. Now, if what your saying about the FO has any merit, it wouldn't be the fire under his ass that would worry me... It's the one in his chest (heart). I know it's there, but he's just got to start making the most of this opportunity. And if he came into it out of shape to begin with... that's not a good 1st impression. I hope he will turn it around, or UP... whichever the case may be, but sitting on the sideline certainly won't help.

Psycho Ward 86
08-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Screw that. Stick him on the roster and let him work his way into the groove. You put him on IR and you can't touch him all year. Moore's getting older and who knows how durable Mendy will be over a 16 game season. Who are you gonna carry as the 4th back if it's not him? Vincent? Vincent's a decent enough player, but I'd rather have Dwyer as an option come mid-season.

There arent a lot of teams that carry 4 runningbacks

Shoes
08-09-2010, 11:13 AM
I have mixed feelings, but I think he'll get it together. Wasn't too long ago some said Mendy was a bust.

Stlrs4Life
08-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Still have hopes for him. He can turn it around.

MULLDOG24
08-09-2010, 11:41 AM
I think he just needs time to adjust to the pro level. I'd say it's harder than people think to get used to the conditioning and complexities of the pros. He is just going through his rookie growing pains and just needs a little time, if he uses his time well we will have to wait and see.

vrabinec
08-09-2010, 12:52 PM

Tomlin is free to use whatever method of manipulation he can on these guys to get the most out of them, and he frequently does (such as putting Big Snack on the PUP list last year). It's only freakin' day 10 of camp. Let's see how he does in the pre-season games. My guess is that he will be the Steelers' leading rusher (if he's healthy) in the preseason. I know that doesn't mean a lot, but that'll show what he's got to offer, and that'll be enough to get him on the team.

vrabinec
08-09-2010, 01:08 PM
There arent a lot of teams that carry 4 runningbacks

The Steelers will keep 3 dressed and 1 at their fingertips for the times that one of the other backs is banged up. Whether they keep 4 and only dress 3 or keep 3 and stick one on the PS, that last spot is what we're talking about. That's the one that's up for grabs. I think the first 3 backs are set as Mendy, Moore and Redman, unless Dwyer blows up in the preseason games and either Redman or Moore stinks it up. Point is, you can't stick him on IR unless you're comfortable that you're not gonna touch him all year. I don't think we can do that. Mendy missed the whole year two years ago, Moore isn't getting any younger, and I think it's a guarantee that we'll need a 4th back this year. Who do you want that 4th back to be when we need him, Dwyer or Vincent? Are we ready to write Dwyer off at this point? Is Vincent clearly better? No way. Tomlin's playing head games with Dwyer to light a fire under his ass. Let's see if it works.

Shoes
08-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Actually, Mike T. said he liked the way Dwyer was hitting the holes.

at about the 39 second mark..
http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Mike-Tomlin---Training-Camp---August-8th/08242b39-2835-4292-9df5-dc89d8065d77

SMR
08-09-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm sorry but I'm still 50/50 on Dwyer.

SteelMember
08-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Who do you want that 4th back to be when we need him, Dwyer or Vincent? Are we ready to write Dwyer off at this point? Is Vincent clearly better? No way. Tomlin's playing head games with Dwyer to light a fire under his ass. Let's see if it works.

I don't think Vincent ever has been, or ever will be ready for the NFL... on a Steelers roster awyway.

He's been barely hanging on as PS material for the past 4 years. Meaning no one else sees much there either. :noidea:

Right now I'd say it's between Redman and Dwyer, with a possibility of the FB/RB from philly (Wright).

LLT
08-10-2010, 10:26 AM
I don't think Vincent ever has been, or ever will be ready for the NFL... on a Steelers roster awyway.

He's been barely hanging on as PS material for the past 4 years. Meaning no one else sees much there either. :noidea:

Right now I'd say it's between Redman and Dwyer, with a possibility of the FB/RB from philly (Wright).

There is a small possibility that we let Moore go (Mendy was doing most of the third down back responsibilities by the end of the year) and we keep both Redman and Dwyer...or Redman and Summers, with Dwyer going to the PS. (could all the negativity about Dwyer be misinformation so as to keep him from being snatched off the PS?) I think that Wright is a darkhorse to make the team.

I think we keep Moore...but he has lost some value due to Mendy's versatility. If Redman/Dwyer/Summers show good hands out of the backfield then there is a possibility that we go with youth.

Killer
08-10-2010, 10:29 AM
There is a small possibility that we let Moore go...

... and the Steelers give me a call to be the 4th QB.

put me in coach

LLT
08-10-2010, 10:36 AM
... and the Steelers give me a call to be the 4th QB.

put me in coach

Hmmmmm

Have you ever...or do you ever intend to share a bathroom stall with a college soriety chick?

Killer
08-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Buy me shots, bitches - I could be a QB!

Ben has a lot to learn about bars - there are plenty of chicks around that want to buy drinks for YOU.

LLT
08-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Buy me shots, bitches - I could be a QB!

Ben has a lot to learn about bars - there are plenty of chicks around that want to buy drinks for YOU.

You have been watching OchoCinco on VH1...havn't you?

Killer
08-10-2010, 11:36 AM
People watch VH1 ?

Next you'll be telling me MTV still plays music.

LLT
08-10-2010, 11:50 AM
People watch VH1 ?

MTV once played music?

No, Like I said...its unlikely we let Moore go, but his value as a third down back did diminish due to Mendy's ability. I think that Redman has a very good chance of making the team. Remember also that not only Dwyer... but Summers is also still eligible for the PS. So there are alot of possibilities.

SteelMember
08-10-2010, 12:01 PM
There is a small possibility that we let Moore go (Mendy was doing most of the third down back responsibilities by the end of the year) and we keep both Redman and Dwyer...or Redman and Summers, with Dwyer going to the PS. (could all the negativity about Dwyer be misinformation so as to keep him from being snatched off the PS?) I think that Wright is a darkhorse to make the team.

I think we keep Moore...but he has lost some value due to Mendy's versatility. If Redman/Dwyer/Summers show good hands out of the backfield then there is a possibility that we go with youth.

While you make a good point about Moore being a possibility to be cut, I will agree with your summation. Until someone proves they have the "hands" Moore does, he's gonna stick. And It can't be Mendy, imo because the guy is gonna need a blow sometime too. He can be out there every down. Even if he may be our best option at this point.

And Summers... I haven't seen, or heard anything to keep him in the discussion at this point. Other than the very cool nickname. Talk about over-hyped. He hasn't proved anything yet. And the times he has been in there, he's looked less than impressive... but that's just me I guess.

I think even though Dwyer has been struggling, he's still ahead of Summers in my book. :noidea:

LLT
08-10-2010, 12:21 PM
While you make a good point about Moore being a possibility to be cut, I will agree with your summation. Until someone proves they have the "hands" Moore does, he's gonna stick. And It can't be Mendy, imo because the guy is gonna need a blow sometime too. He can be out there every down. Even if he may be our best option at this point.

And Summers... I haven't seen, or heard anything to keep him in the discussion at this point. Other than the very cool nickname. Talk about over-hyped. He hasn't proved anything yet. And the times he has been in there, he's looked less than impressive... but that's just me I guess.

I think even though Dwyer has been struggling, he's still ahead of Summers in my book. :noidea:

Anyway we can just make Legursky the short yardage back/fullback.
:tongue1:

SteelMember
08-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Anyway we can just make Legursky the short yardage back/fullback.
:tongue1:

That could certainly alter some gameplans.

We know he can block, but I'd hope he dosen't run with the ball like Hampton. You'd never think a guy that big could go down so easily... He was no Fridge.

:chuckle:

BuddhaBus
08-10-2010, 02:12 PM

And if you believe that, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

I think that Redman has a very good chance of making the team.

On pure "suddenness and glide" alone! :wink02:

Craic
08-10-2010, 03:07 PM

IMO, there all probably true. He has strong points, he has week points. He is a rookie in his first camp. He is ADD, which means that if he is like most others, he is going to struggle with learning the playbook and incorporating new wrinkles at times (even on meds). However, how often have we seen rookies that fail to impress, that actually turn out pretty well thereafter. Either he has the basic athletic ability, and he gets developed, or he doesn't, and is dropped. Either way, I am ok with it.

vrabinec
08-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Well, fresh reports out of camp say he's gonna get a bunch of carries this week against the Lions. Sounds like whatever was wrong has healed and he's ready to rock. Let's see what he's got. I think he's gonna surprise the hell out of people. I don't know if he'll end up on our roster, but I'm willing to bet he ends up on an NFL roster somewhere this year. Unfortunately, he has a long way to go as far as picking up the blitz and that sort of mundane task, but he can run with it (if our line gets any kind of a hole)

GoSlash27
08-10-2010, 04:20 PM
This Dwyer guy would have to walk on water and turn loaves into fishes to convince me that he deserves a spot before Redman.

tony hipchest
08-10-2010, 11:50 PM
panic time is over... perhaps he is HOF bound once again-

Dwyer gets physical with block on Fox

LATROBE -- If there was one play that brought a smile to coach Mike Tomlin’s face on Tuesday, it was the one made by Jonathan Dwyer.
A rookie running back who gained over 1,395 yards in each of the past two seasons at Georgia Tech, Dwyer didn’t do anything special the few times he had the football in his hands.
But in a period of the afternoon practice when the Steelers worked on their hurry-up offense, Dwyer made a superb block on blitzing linebacker Keyaron Fox.
“He still has a ways to grow,” Tomlin said. “As you know, he’s missed some time (at training camp). But one element that you can’t deny is that he was consistently physical today. And if we start anywhere, that’s a great basis to begin.”

“That was definitely nice to see,” running backs coach Kirby Wilson said of Dwyer’s blitz pick-up block on Fox. “Those are the kinds of things we’re looking for from him. It’s early in the evaluation process. But we like what we see.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/august/10/dwyers-gets-physical-with-block-on-fox.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Craic
08-11-2010, 03:55 AM
panic time is over... perhaps he is HOF bound once again-

Dwyer gets physical with block on Fox

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/august/10/dwyers-gets-physical-with-block-on-fox.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

LOL how many other of our picks were HOF bound before ever putting on pads... only to be called a bust without ever playing in a game? Seems like every year there is one or two.