PDA

View Full Version : Steelers not happy with tripping call on Gilbert, 1 of 4 momentum changing plays

zulater
09-17-2013, 05:48 AM
The first word that came to Marcus Gilbert's mind was “insane.”
Sure, the Steelers' work-in-progress offense made its share of mistakes to bog down more than a handful of drives during Monday's 20-10 loss to the Bengals at Paul Brown Stadium, but, how they look at it, the Steelers don't need the referees to help that process along.
A controversial tripping call on Gilbert early in the third quarter of a 10-10 game erased an Antonio Brown 33-yard gain down to the Bengals' 30-yard line.
“That was a big play,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. “We had all the momentum in the world right there, and the next thing you know, you are backed up.”

Gilbert sat at his locker with his hands in his face still in disbelief.
“I can't believe they made that call,” Gilbert said. “If I was intentionally throwing my leg out there it would've been so obvious. They blew that call bad. We had the momentum going.”
Gilbert wasn't the only one in the Steelers' locker room pointing toward that one play as being a difference-maker.
“I looked at the JumboTron, and I didn't think that was tripping,” receiver Emmanuel Sanders said. “That was one of those plays where AB went 40 yards and we were in field-goal range. That was one of four key plays in the game that determined the outcome of the game. It didn't go in our favor.”

Those other key plays were self-inflicted.
David Paulson's fumble inside the 20-yard line early in the game marked the second consecutive game that the Steelers fumbled inside the red zone in the first quarter of an eventual loss.
Two critical defensive miscues were the others.
Clark took the blame for jumping a route on tight end Tyler Eifert moments after Paulson's fumble that resulted in a 64-yard play and an eventual Bernard touchdown run.
“Last year playing Andy and watching the film I felt like when he looked somewhere that is where he was going,” Clark said. “I was waiting for a hitch-and-go. That was an extremely good play call, but I have to be better than that.”
The other was Bernard's 27-yard touchdown after Gilbert's tripping call. Bernard got lost on space on a Cover 3 underneath coverage call by defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4718912-74/yard-call-gilbert#ixzz2f96d0SGb
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

NJarhead
09-17-2013, 07:00 AM
That sums it up right there:

1). Driving down to score - Paulson fumbles and
2). The Bengals respond with a TD (14 point swing)
3). Get some momentum going and dipshit in stripes calls BS tripping penalty / Bengals respond with a TD.
4). STILL in position to get back in it and Ben throws his 10th pass too high for the WR and it gets tipped and the Bengals make a great play on it. Drive/Momentum gone.

Sickening. Yea, we should have been more stout against the run and we have our obvious offensive woes, but we were in that damn game.

/rant.

Craic
09-17-2013, 04:44 PM
It was definitely the wrong call, but depending on where it was called from, I can understand how a ref thought it was tripping. One of the replay reviews showed him extending his legs just before he got the DLmen. From another position, it was all reaction to him going down and momentum, but if the ref that called it didn't have that perspective, it's an understandable call, though in hindsight, still wrong.

The sad thing is on Paulson's fumble, was that not just two seconds before, I yelled at the TV, HOLD ON TO THE BALL! I just had a feeling that fumble was coming. Don't know why, but I did.

steelreserve
09-17-2013, 05:05 PM
I hate to break it to you, but there were about 50 other "momentum-changing" plays, by which I mean our offense screwing up royally 90% of the time. I'm amazed the game was as close as it was, the way they stunk up the joint.

- - - Updated - - -

The sad thing is on Paulson's fumble, was that not just two seconds before, I yelled at the TV, HOLD ON TO THE BALL! I just had a feeling that fumble was coming. Don't know why, but I did.

I had the exact same feeling, and shouted something similar, like "crap, don't fumble! ... aw, crap, he fumbled." It was just that kind of a game.

SteelerFanInStl
09-17-2013, 06:06 PM
They shouldn't be happy with it. It was a B.S. call. Tripping is only supposed to be called when the intention is obvious. That clearly wasn't. It was an official who's just looking to throw a flag for anything.

zulater
09-17-2013, 06:16 PM
They shouldn't be happy with it. It was a B.S. call. Tripping is only supposed to be called when the intention is obvious. That clearly wasn't. It was an official who's just looking to throw a flag for anything.

He seemed quite capable of keeping his flag in his pocket on the multitude of times Woodley and Jones were being held by the Bengals OT's.

Count Steeler
09-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Ancient history. Game over. We stunk. Period. We are not at #32 offensively because of a tripping penalty!

Focus coaches. Get your shit together and let's start playing some football!

SteelerFanInStl
09-17-2013, 06:18 PM
He seemed quite capable of keeping his flag in his pocket on the multitude of times Woodley and Jones were being held by the Bengals OT's.

Par for the course. McClendon got mugged a number of times too.

GoSlash27
09-17-2013, 06:30 PM
No reason to be happy with what was obviously a shit call, but bad calls come with the territory. Good football teams overcome them and win anyway.

Shoes
09-17-2013, 07:54 PM
It was definitely the wrong call, but depending on where it was called from, I can understand how a ref thought it was tripping. One of the replay reviews showed him extending his legs just before he got the DLmen. From another position, it was all reaction to him going down and momentum, but if the ref that called it didn't have that perspective, it's an understandable call, though in hindsight, still wrong.

Same here .......the ball just looked like it was there for the taking.

zulater
09-18-2013, 12:08 AM
Tomlin on the tripping call against Marcus Gilbert: “It wasn't a trip. But the reality is that those guys are going to miss calls. We have to be good enough to overcome it.”
Take: Well said. The Steelers aren't good enough to overcome bad breaks these days. But let this also be said: That ridiculous call irrevocably changed the complexion of the game. Inexcusable over-officiating.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/4717450-74/steelers-tomlin-game#ixzz2fDZGC8md
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Master Blaster
09-18-2013, 02:39 PM
I hate to break it to you, but there were about 50 other "momentum-changing" plays, by which I mean our offense screwing up royally 90% of the time. I'm amazed the game was as close as it was, the way they stunk up the joint.

- - - Updated - - -

I had the exact same feeling, and shouted something similar, like "crap, don't fumble! ... aw, crap, he fumbled." It was just that kind of a game.
Pre fumble, I was thinking, "secure that ball better before... Dang it!" Post fumble, I was thinking "what a complete waste of a roster spot!"