PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on the Bengals game

steelreserve
09-17-2013, 01:58 AM
- Redman. What the fuck was he doing in the game at all? He's sidelined for a while, the guy who comes in (Jones) is the only guy who's been able to move the ball even a little bit so far this year, and then as soon as Redman's OK, we put him back in so he can gain his 1 yard per carry? Seriously. He has one positive quality at this point: If you need 1 yard, he'll get you 1 yard. If you need 4 yards, he'll get you 1 yard. I have no idea how the coaches didn't see he was ineffective and get him the hell out of there. I also don't even know why we bothered re-signing Dwyer.

- Ben. Come on, man. Dude was overthrowing everyone like he was having his own personal JaMarcus Russell tribute. Has he mellowed out too much since finding Jesus and getting married? You've got to do better than that. Jesus isn't going to win the game for you.

- Jones! That guy needs to be the starter now, and he proved it. Every time Worilds came in, it was no pressure, no run stopping, basically we were back on our heels. Jones is as disruptive as I've seen a rookie be. He made Woodley better, helped alter a ton of plays in our favor, seriously, just forget Worilds is even on the depth chart and get this guy in there. Let Worilds fight it out with Woodley.

- Speaking of Woodley, what the fuck was he good for tonight? An offsides that gave them a first down so they could eat up a bunch of time at the end of the game, a personal foul at the end of the game; great. Way to earn your massive contract. Oh good, it only goes up to $14 million next year! For those keeping score at home, I think that comes out to something like $20,000 per penalty yard. What a bargain.

- I didn't notice Hood at all until like 5 minutes to go in the game. Hell, I've hardly noticed him at all his entire career. I hope we are smart enough to move on from that disaster.

- You know how we draft a tight end that we don't need in the 7th round like EVERY year? What good has that ever done us? Oh, right - tonight it was good for a fumble that killed a scoring chance. I swear, as Paulson was running down the field, I said, "I KNOW he's going to fumble at the end of this, that's what happens when some random clown gets a chance at a big catch like this."

- I don't know if I've ever seen more inappropriate playcalling in my life. That quick-pass-as-a-run to the receiver only worked one time for like 8 yards. No need to keep doing it after they wised up. Running on third-and-9 when we were getting our asses handed to us in the run game. 5-yard dumpoffs in desperation time. Time to turn in your crack pipe, Haley, or figure out how to run this offense.

You know what, that's about all I got in me. It's late and I'm tired. Frigg'n team.

Seven
09-17-2013, 02:25 AM
I agree with most of what you have said here, but disagree with some points, too. I will address them individually.
- Redman. If you need 1 yard, he'll get you 1 yard. If you need 4 yards, he'll get you 1 yard. Probably the best description of Redman's game I've read.

- Ben. Come on, man. Dude was overthrowing everyone like he was having his own personal JaMarcus Russell tribute. Has he mellowed out too much since finding Jesus and getting married? You've got to do better than that. Jesus isn't going to win the game for you. Ben had a few poor passes, but overall I think the receivers are more to blame than he. They aren't playing well which makes it basically impossible for the quarterback to play well.

- Jones! That guy needs to be the starter now, and he proved it. Every time Worilds came in, it was no pressure, no run stopping, basically we were back on our heels. Jones is as disruptive as I've seen a rookie be. He made Woodley better, helped alter a ton of plays in our favor, seriously, just forget Worilds is even on the depth chart and get this guy in there. Let Worilds fight it out with Woodley. Jones still isn't totally at home out there, but he makes plays. He should be starting from this point out. Worilds belongs in this league, but he doesn't have the same impact Jones does. I agree we would be better served letting him push Woodley at this point.

- Speaking of Woodley, what the fuck was he good for tonight? An offsides that gave them a first down so they could eat up a bunch of time at the end of the game, a personal foul at the end of the game; great. Way to earn your massive contract. Oh good, it only goes up to $14 million next year! For those keeping score at home, I think that comes out to something like $20,000 per penalty yard. What a bargain. I think Woodley has looked better this year. But he had a poor game tonight, no doubt.

- I didn't notice Hood at all until like 5 minutes to go in the game. Hell, I've hardly noticed him at all his entire career. I hope we are smart enough to move on from that disaster. You haven't noticed a 3-4 defensive end for most of his career? Good. Hood doesn't have the ceiling Heyward does, but he can play. That said, I think Al Woods is probably just as good as Hood. So perhaps we will move on from him.

- You know how we draft a tight end that we don't need in the 7th round like EVERY year? What good has that ever done us? Oh, right - tonight it was good for a fumble that killed a scoring chance. I swear, as Paulson was running down the field, I said, "I KNOW he's going to fumble at the end of this, that's what happens when some random clown gets a chance at a big catch like this." Paulson is a good tight end. The fumble is unfortunate, but at least he was getting open tonight.

- I don't know if I've ever seen more inappropriate playcalling in my life. That quick-pass-as-a-run to the receiver only worked one time for like 8 yards. No need to keep doing it after they wised up. Running on third-and-9 when we were getting our asses handed to us in the run game. 5-yard dumpoffs in desperation time. Time to turn in your crack pipe, Haley, or figure out how to run this offense. I'm not a big fan of Todd Haley's offense, but that's nothing new. I've never liked his system. He runs the plays he likes regardless of what else is working and how the opposing defense responds to what he's calling. I never wanted us to fire Arians as I thought his offense fit Ben like a glove. But, the move to bring Haley in was made and I think we can win with him as our offensive coordinator. I just hope he breaks some the bad habits I think he has.

jb500ex
09-17-2013, 05:14 AM
It's so amazing you guys think woodley stunk and jones was good. I guarantee if we see the grades it's much different. Woodley got pressure all night while jones got completely pushed out of almost every play. Jones is no where close to a starting caliber olb yet. Woodley was far and away our best lb tonight and it wasn't close

Steeldude
09-17-2013, 05:26 AM
The O-line is really bad. This was pointed out in pre-season. Yes, I know, that's just pre-season and meanings nothing. Well, even in pre-season you are supposed to block. Now I didn't see every play up close. I didn't see each offensive lineman on each play. Now from what I did see it looked like our newest lineman, Velasco, played the best. After him it's all downhill. The O-line looked very weak, very slow, very timid and very confused. Am I panicking? No. This is not surprising at all.

The defense is not without its faults. There is no leader on that defense. No one is there to provide a tough image/swagger. Who would be afraid of Woodley? Who on that team strikes fear in opponents? I guess I would have to choose Polamalu, but I think that would go further if he was a DL or LB.

The team needs a lot of work done to it. Can Tomlin fix it? IMO, I doubt it, but we will have to see how the rest of the year plays out.

steeldawg
09-17-2013, 05:45 AM
I thought Woodley was very good also he was explosive, he collapsed the pocket on every pass play made and made some nice tackles. worilds I agree with but I said it at the beginning of the year the guy does nothing o the field, he is just there. The Defense has played so solid the last 2 games if we had any type of offense we win the last 2 games easily.

zulater
09-17-2013, 06:04 AM
Here's one other thought on the Bengals game from the Bengals perspective. The Bengals have the best overall talent in the AFC, but they have a shitty quarterback, so in the end they're just spinning their wheels. No way will they go to a Super Bowl with Andy Daulton. With a real quarterback the Bengals win that game by 20+ points.

Steeldude
09-17-2013, 06:09 AM
The defense did not play solid, Steeldawg.

No sacks

Very little QB pressure

No forced turnovers

Allowed over 400 yards offense

ALLD
09-17-2013, 06:12 AM
The fumble again, set the tone. The phantom tripping penalty killed the momentum of possibly pulling out a win. Good teams overcome those things, this is not a good team.

Seven
09-17-2013, 08:20 AM
It's so amazing you guys think woodley stunk and jones was good. I guarantee if we see the grades it's much different. Woodley got pressure all night while jones got completely pushed out of almost every play. Jones is no where close to a starting caliber olb yet. Woodley was far and away our best lb tonight and it wasn't close

Lol. I see why you've been labeled a troll.

NJarhead
09-17-2013, 08:25 AM
- Redman. What the fuck was he doing in the game at all? He's sidelined for a while, the guy who comes in (Jones) is the only guy who's been able to move the ball even a little bit so far this year, and then as soon as Redman's OK, we put him back in so he can gain his 1 yard per carry? Seriously. He has one positive quality at this point: If you need 1 yard, he'll get you 1 yard. If you need 4 yards, he'll get you 1 yard. I have no idea how the coaches didn't see he was ineffective and get him the hell out of there. I also don't even know why we bothered re-signing Dwyer.

- Ben. Come on, man. Dude was overthrowing everyone like he was having his own personal JaMarcus Russell tribute. Has he mellowed out too much since finding Jesus and getting married? You've got to do better than that. Jesus isn't going to win the game for you.

- Jones! That guy needs to be the starter now, and he proved it. Every time Worilds came in, it was no pressure, no run stopping, basically we were back on our heels. Jones is as disruptive as I've seen a rookie be. He made Woodley better, helped alter a ton of plays in our favor, seriously, just forget Worilds is even on the depth chart and get this guy in there. Let Worilds fight it out with Woodley.

- Speaking of Woodley, what the fuck was he good for tonight? An offsides that gave them a first down so they could eat up a bunch of time at the end of the game, a personal foul at the end of the game; great. Way to earn your massive contract. Oh good, it only goes up to $14 million next year! For those keeping score at home, I think that comes out to something like $20,000 per penalty yard. What a bargain.
- I didn't notice Hood at all until like 5 minutes to go in the game. Hell, I've hardly noticed him at all his entire career. I hope we are smart enough to move on from that disaster.

- You know how we draft a tight end that we don't need in the 7th round like EVERY year? What good has that ever done us? Oh, right - tonight it was good for a fumble that killed a scoring chance. I swear, as Paulson was running down the field, I said, "I KNOW he's going to fumble at the end of this, that's what happens when some random clown gets a chance at a big catch like this."

- I don't know if I've ever seen more inappropriate playcalling in my life. That quick-pass-as-a-run to the receiver only worked one time for like 8 yards. No need to keep doing it after they wised up. Running on third-and-9 when we were getting our asses handed to us in the run game. 5-yard dumpoffs in desperation time. Time to turn in your crack pipe, Haley, or figure out how to run this offense.

You know what, that's about all I got in me. It's late and I'm tired. Frigg'n team.

I honestly don't think he was offsides. I never saw him break the plane of the neutral zone until after the ball was snapped. Also, that asshole Cincy LT should have been flagged too.

zulater
09-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Defensively our biggest issue's last night were coping with the loss of Foote and the league's legalization of offensive holding as it applies to the Cincinnati Bengals. I thought Woodley played a good game. Also hopefully Cortez Allen will be back soon. So that should help on that side of the ball.

zulater
09-17-2013, 11:49 PM
Linebacker LaMarr Woodley didn't have a sack, but did put a lot of pressure on Andy Dalton. Woodley had four pressures and a pair of hits on Dalton out of the 28 times he rushed the passer.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4717479-74/quarterback-steelers-dalton#ixzz2fDUV9zyQ
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Dwinsgames
09-18-2013, 02:39 PM

No sacks

Very little QB pressure

No forced turnovers

any def is going to give up 400 yards to the opposition when they are on the field for a few seconds short of 36 min ( both games thus far ) ...

as an offence in two games combined we have been on the field just 48 min while the opposition has been on the field 72 min. ( so our D has been forced to play tired because we can not sustain anything on O )

zulater
09-18-2013, 03:05 PM
any def is going to give up 400 yards to the opposition when they are on the field for a few seconds short of 36 min ( both games thus far ) ...

as an offence in two games combined we have been on the field just 48 min while the opposition has been on the field 72 min. ( so our D has been forced to play tired because we can not sustain anything on O )

The defense wasn't as terrible as the offense, but at the same token if Daulton had been a little more accurate that game would have been over much earlier.

steelreserve
09-18-2013, 03:28 PM
I guess I might have been a little harsh on Woodley. Not a terrible game, but for the amount we've invested in him ... you'd better be the most disruptive, game-changing pass rusher on the field, probably in the entire division or conference, and we're not getting that. So yeah, I'm not cutting him much slack.

Hood on the other hand ... it was said above "You didn't notice a 3-4 DE? Good." But that's not what "not noticed" is supposed to mean at all. No, I'm not under the mistaken impression that a 3-4 DE is supposed to be a flashy star who racks up lots of stats, but you are supposed to be involved in the play.

For example, Kiesel. He didn't have a ton of sacks or huge plays, but you noticed him. He was moving guys around instead of the opposite, he was right in the middle of things when the action was on his side - maybe not making the tackle himself but helping make it happen - and there were a number of times you would say to yourself, "Hey, even though it wasn't a sack, Kiesel did a good job on that play." Basically, you'd see him winning the battle on a semi-regular basis. Hood there was almost nothing to notice at all, unless you count things like, "Hmm, we're not really doing much to control the line," or "Wow, who's that guy who just let himself get blocked out of the play really easily." That's really all I've ever seen out of him. If it wasn't for his draft status, I have no doubt he wouldn't even be on the team at this point.

ALLD
09-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Kiesel is in a contract year, Woodley is not. Keisel will be a Cardinal next season.

steeldawg
09-18-2013, 03:50 PM

No sacks

Very little QB pressure

No forced turnovers

The defense was solid you cant expect them to keep making stop after stop while our offense goes 3 and out every possession. If we had an offense that could stay on the field our defense would have dominated the guys are exhausted.

steelreserve
09-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Kiesel is in a contract year, Woodley is not. Keisel will be a Cardinal next season.

I'm not so sure Kiesel is playing for a contract - because of his age, he's not going to get a big deal. If he kicks ass all season, the highest offer he gets will probably not be much different from the offers he gets if he just does OK, and in either case it will probably be less than what he makes now. It's more like, "can I keep playing in the league until age 36-37." Based on his performance so far, I'd say that's a resounding yes. If we don't have any other answers at DE, we might want to consider bringing him back as a good value for the money. Although our cap situation makes it hard, and if we did, I'm sure he'd promptly get injured, because that's just how these things work.