PDA

View Full Version : Kovacevic: Will Steelers pass up another chance?

NJarhead
09-16-2013, 07:33 AM
I don't agree with everything he wrote, but I thought this was a good article (comical) with a few valid points. Enjoy!

"...you've got to coach to the talent at hand, and you've got to coach to the time at hand. This offense's strengths are almost entirely pass-based, and this era of the NFL and its rules that protect the quarterback and offer space to the receiver, that's no different.

It's well past time the Steelers get back to accepting that, even embracing it as they did not so long ago.

This isn't about being stubborn. It's about succeeding."

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/-topstories/4708041-74/story#ixzz2f3gnVPzr
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

zulater
09-16-2013, 10:59 AM
The Steelers' offensive plan will include, based on practices leading up to this game, Markus Wheaton watching from the sideline.
Again.
Because, you know, Wheaton tantalized all through camp and the preseason, drew thick praise from Ben Roethlisberger and others and was supposed to be part of a rookie class that helped shatter the stigma of 8-8.
The reason the Steelers' offensive plan will keep Wheaton out is that it'll be based on the standard three-receiver set with a tight end.
Because, you know, David Paulson.
The Steelers' offensive plan will keep utilizing all the usual screens and sideline routes, as if LaRod Stephens-Howling never left.
Because, you know, it's maximizing your best asset to have Roethlisberger throw 23 passes of less than 10 yards, compared to just nine longer than that.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/-topstories/4708041-74/story#ixzz2f4W3hkOg

Stupid is as stupid does. :doh:

steel striker
09-16-2013, 02:25 PM
To me for the Steelers to have a chance tonight is let Markus play and, most of all let Ben be Ben.

Moose
09-16-2013, 02:42 PM
To me for the Steelers to have a chance tonight is let Markus play and, most of all let Ben be Ben.

I tend to agree with this somewhat. Markus may be the hidden card. Hopefully Ben will have the option to call plays, he knows the bungholes !

Master Blaster
09-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/-topstories/4708041-74/story#ixzz2f4W3hkOg

You echoed my sentiments to a tee.

NCSteeler
09-16-2013, 04:37 PM
We need to do something, anything we are good at. BUT, I do think that becoming a running team right when everyone is doing the opposite has strong merit. 1st, teams are loading their defenses with smaller faster guys, carrying extra safety instead of LBers. 2nd, this is when better RBs will be able to be gotten at better draft positions at cheaper wages. I view it similar to when we were the only team running a 3-4 and we never had to compete for talent at OLB or NT. I don't think the offense will ever get that lucky but it should make for interesting times.

HollywoodSteel
09-16-2013, 05:09 PM
I think the article has merit. Ben is our best offensive weapon, but the thing is he isn't great cold. He needs to find a rhythm. I think that's one of the reasons why he is good in the fast paced, no huddle. It isn't so much that he's so wonderful at calling his own plays, it's that he is able to find a rhythm and a comfort zone. It might not be such a crazy notion to stick with a pass first approach for a while and let that set up the run.

I find it strange that you always hear "don't give up on the running game, even if it isn't working early" but you seldom hear the same thing about the passing game, then when the running game fails they just expect the passing game to be awesome and bail them out at the last minute.

Just a thought. Could be wrong, but I can't see how it could be much wronger than the we have been approaching it.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps I'm just being thick here but are you criticizing the coaches or the article?

ALLD
09-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Gotta have a good RB to be a running team. Running the ball up the middle for a yard or worse, a fumble, is not a strength.

zulater
09-16-2013, 05:25 PM
I think the article has merit. Ben is our best offensive weapon, but the thing is he isn't great cold. He needs to find a rhythm. I think that's one of the reasons why he is good in the fast paced, no huddle. It isn't so much that he's so wonderful at calling his own plays, it's that he is able to find a rhythm and a comfort zone. It might not be such a crazy notion to stick with a pass first approach for a while and let that set up the run.

I find it strange that you always hear "don't give up on the running game, even if it isn't working early" but you seldom hear the same thing about the passing game, then when the running game fails they just expect the passing game to be awesome and bail them out at the last minute.

Just a thought. Could be wrong, but I can't see how it could be much wronger than the we have been approaching it.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps I'm just being thick here but are you criticizing the coaches or the article?

Coaches.

Psycho Ward 86
09-16-2013, 07:02 PM
lol this is the truest article ive read in a long time.