PDA

View Full Version : Al Woods Already Paying Dividends In Steelers Defensive Line Rotati0n

stillers4me
09-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Last year, in his first full season with the Pittsburgh Steelers, reserve defensive lineman Al Woods played all of 30 snaps on defense. In the season opener last Sunday against the Tennessee Titans, Woods, a former fourth-round draft pick of the New Orleans Saints, played a third of that 2012 amount and he will likely surpass that number by the time the team reaches their bye week.

"Al is in our rotation now. He is going to get his snaps," said Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau on Thursday. "He virtually has the role that Steve McLendon had last year. Like Chris Hoke did for us, Al can play end and nose. He’s a valuable guy for us. He played well against Tennessee. We are going to give him snaps, particularly early in the season when the weather is hot. It’s good to roll your linemen if you have the people you can roll with.".......

read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/09/al-woods-dividends-steelers-defensive-line-rotatation/

Count Steeler
09-15-2013, 10:44 AM
This should have started last year. McLendon and Woods were ready to unseat Big Snack. That whole situation remains a big question mark on the FO/coaches from last season.

salamander
09-15-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm glad to see that we're starting to rotate guys in. I think that'll benefit the defense later in the year.

tube517
09-15-2013, 02:43 PM
If Woods is another Hoke, that's a definite plus.

Master Blaster
09-16-2013, 06:21 AM
At least the DL has quality depth. They also have Fangupo, whom they kept over Ta'amu.

NJarhead
09-16-2013, 08:08 AM
This should have started last year. McLendon and Woods were ready to unseat Big Snack. That whole situation remains a big question mark on the FO/coaches from last season.

I'm inclined to agree. McLendon made things happen seemingly every time he stepped in for Big Snack. I was thinking, at the time, that it might have been better to start McLendon and bring Hampton in on third downs, etc. Would have kept the big guy fresh the whole year.