PDA

View Full Version : Steelers notebook: Jones not the only rookie to see significant playing time

stillers4me
09-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Rookie first-round pick Jarvis Jones will make his first NFL start Monday night against Cincinnati, but he won't be the only rookie playing extensively against the Bengals...............

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-notebook-jones-not-the-only-rookie-to-see-significant-playing-time-703459/#ixzz2eyIkiRUr

steeldawg
09-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Great gay going to give up a couple td's and then we are going to get into argument about how good he really played. Interested to see shamarko though, hope makes something happen out there. Another rookie I want more of is wheaton, if sanders plays like he did last week it wont be long before wheaton takes his spot.

SteelerFanInStl
09-15-2013, 10:36 AM
I want to see more of Wheaton too. He showed me a lot in the preseason.

steeldawg
09-15-2013, 11:10 AM
I want to see more of Wheaton too. He showed me a lot in the preseason.

I like sanders in that third receiver spot matched up on linebackers and safeties I don't like him going vertical. I think wheaton looked good going down the field, now of course that was preseason.

Dwinsgames
09-15-2013, 11:48 AM
who didn't like Wheaton in the preseason ... but what we have to remember is many of the guys he was playing against are now pushing shopping carts from the parking lots at the local walmarts and many others are flipping burgers at the local McDonalds , burger kings and whataburgers etc ....that is not to say he can not have success against the guys remaining standing but I think he showed why he is depth at this point on the ST gaff he made ... IMO he needs some more time spent on the mental aspects of the game so he is not letting poor judgment get in the way because of his desire to make things happen

Steel 36 Bus
09-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Didn't know much about Jones when he was drafted. listened to alot of naysayers on other Steelers mb's. claiming he wasn't fast and the Steelers wasted a 1st rd pick again. I have liked what I have seen from him so far. the kid is a ball magnet as evidence in the preseason. kid will only get better as he plays more.

Dwinsgames
09-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Didn't know much about Jones when he was drafted. listened to alot of naysayers on other Steelers mb's. claiming he wasn't fast and the Steelers wasted a 1st rd pick again. I have liked what I have seen from him so far. the kid is a ball magnet as evidence in the preseason. kid will only get better as he plays more.

should have read some of what me and some others here said about him ... we loved him ...

problem with many people is they put far to much stock in timed 40s in gym shorts on a track ... I have not seen anyone play football that way pads and mission make a difference in players and track athletes

salamander
09-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Yeah, most (if not all) of us here were ecstatic when the Steelers drafted Jones.

Anyways, I'm glad to see this team is finally giving its rookies a chance. If they can play well and contribute, there is no reason they shouldn't get any playing time.

steelreserve
09-15-2013, 12:38 PM
I'll be excited to see more of Thomas, but wish it wasn't because Gay had to start at CB. That could get ugly.

I wondered where the hell Wheaton was last game. They draft him obviously for a reason, he does well in preseason, and then while everyone else stinks it up in the opener, they have him on the field for like one play returning kicks. Come on, you guys can do better than that.

Steeldude
09-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Allen only played 29 snaps before exiting the opener against Tennessee with a sprained ankle. Gay stepped in and performed well. He played 48 snaps and received the second-highest grade of any Steelers defender in Week 1, according to Pro Football Focus. Only nose tackle Steve McLendon had a higher grade.

Gay is a good/decent nickel and backup CB. I don't know why so many fans are down on him. You need players like Gay. He's not the greatest, but he isn't the worst either. It's better than having McFadden at CB. That was horrendous from day 1.

Psycho Ward 86
09-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Gay is a good/decent nickel and backup CB. I don't know why so many fans are down on him. You need players like Gay. He's not the greatest, but he isn't the worst either. It's better than having McFadden at CB. That was horrendous from day 1.

because just like the superbowl rings and appearances, steeler fans dont know how to move on. most steeler fans only remember the william gay of 2009.