PDA

View Full Version : Cut blocks again under fire in wake of Pouncey injury

zulater
09-13-2013, 05:27 AM
Brett Keisel knew it was friendly fire that ended All-Pro center Maurkice Pouncey's season eight plays into the opening game. But to Keisel, that's not an excuse.
The Steelers' defensive end called David DeCastro's ill-judged cut-block attempt on the Titans' Sammie Hill, which tore Pouncey's right ACL and MCL, “ridiculous” after Sunday's loss. That reignited the discussion of how the cut block is not only legal in the safety-conscience NFL but also endorsed by many decision-makers, including Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.
“I like the rule as it is,” said Tomlin, a member of the eight-person competition committee that decides on rule changes in the offseason.
Other low blocks have been legislated out of late, including all on special teams. Crack-back and peel-back blocks are no longer permitted, but the cut block remains.
Keisel this week remained upset with the legality of the cut block this week in preparation for Monday's game at Cincinnati.
“I am not saying all cut blocks, but when someone is engaged, then I don't feel like it is a safe play,” he said. “Every year guys get hurt. You wonder how many guys have to go down before something happens.”
Texans linebacker Brian Cushing was a cut blocked last season and missed the remainder of the year. The NFL promised to look at the rule in the offseason, but no change was made.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4689690-74/cut-block-steelers#ixzz2elcHBOZ8
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

It bothers me that the Steelers are going to employ this dirty tactic this season. If DeCastro would have ended Sammie Hill's season instead of Pouncey's it would still leave a foul stench in my mouth. That this doesn't bother Tomlin, jumping on the back of the legs of an already engaged defender, makes me lose a lot of respect for him.

Master Blaster
09-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Brett Keisel knew it was friendly fire that ended All-Pro center Maurkice Pouncey's season eight plays into the opening game. But to Keisel, that's not an excuse.
The Steelers' defensive end called David DeCastro's ill-judged cut-block attempt on the Titans' Sammie Hill, which tore Pouncey's right ACL and MCL, “ridiculous” after Sunday's loss. That reignited the discussion of how the cut block is not only legal in the safety-conscience NFL but also endorsed by many decision-makers, including Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.
“I like the rule as it is,” said Tomlin, a member of the eight-person competition committee that decides on rule changes in the offseason.
Other low blocks have been legislated out of late, including all on special teams. Crack-back and peel-back blocks are no longer permitted, but the cut block remains.
Keisel this week remained upset with the legality of the cut block this week in preparation for Monday's game at Cincinnati.
“I am not saying all cut blocks, but when someone is engaged, then I don't feel like it is a safe play,” he said. “Every year guys get hurt. You wonder how many guys have to go down before something happens.”
Texans linebacker Brian Cushing was a cut blocked last season and missed the remainder of the year. The NFL promised to look at the rule in the offseason, but no change was made.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4689690-74/cut-block-steelers#ixzz2elcHBOZ8
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

It bothers me that the Steelers are going to employ this dirty tactic this season. If DeCastro would have ended Sammie Hill's season instead of Pouncey's it would still leave a foul stench in my mouth. That this doesn't bother Tomlin, jumping on the back of the legs of an already engaged defender, makes me lose a lot of respect for him.
I couldn't agree more, Zu. The willingness of the owners, the league and some coaches to not only allow, but to endorse the use of such a despicable tactic lays bare the hypocrisy of the league's professed desire to make the game safer. The NFL's double standards mirror those of the current administration.

Steeldude
09-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Of course it will be illegal now. Why? Because the Steelers are using it.