PDA

View Full Version : Ron Cook: Personnel is biggest problem for Steelers, not Haley

Count Steeler
09-13-2013, 04:44 AM
Funny, isn't it? Bruce Arians never was this popular when he was calling plays for two Super Bowl teams. A lot of people couldn't wait for him to be out as Steelers offensive coordinator. He was too pass-happy. He was too close to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, too much his friend and not enough his coach. He let Roethlisberger do whatever he wanted. You remember that nonsense, right? It was total garbage. The Steelers made a horrible mistake when they fired Arians after the 2011 season.
But that's old news.
What's topical -- and comical -- is that many people already want new offensive coordinator Todd Haley replaced after just one season and one game and would be thrilled to see Arians come back. That's not because of a Deadspin.com report Wednesday that Haley was involved in an incident with a drunken, heckling fan Saturday night at the bar of an Upper St. Clair hotel where he and his family are staying while their home is being refurbished. Haley called it a "nonissue" after practice Thursday. "There were no words exchanged. There was no security involved. Nothing like that happened. Geez, I was out with my wife."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-personnel-is-biggest-problem-for-steelers-not-haley-703169/#ixzz2elSdQrKG

Master Blaster
09-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Haley being in the bar is a non issue because he has the right to be there. For the media to make it an issue, is the issue.

Hawkman
09-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Bold move on his part, but you're right Master.

steelreserve
09-13-2013, 05:59 PM
I haven't liked how the offense has looked under Haley, but I sure as hell don't want Arians back. For one reason after another, I don't think this team has lived up to its potential on offense for a good 10 years, the 2005 playoffs being the one exception. At least under Whisenhunt we got a lot of fleaflickers and stuff.

Actually, we might have lived up to our potential under him, except that Cowher always tried to start running out the clock with like 13 minutes to go in the third quarter.

We probably lived up to our potential in the Kordell/Maddox years, but the difference there is the offense just wasn't very good to begin with.

Count Steeler
09-13-2013, 06:04 PM
If Haley and Ben don't get on the same page, this offense will continue to flounder. Haley is the boss and it is time to let Ben know it. In the long run, it will be much better for Ben. It is time for everyone on this offense to put away the crap and execute their assignments.

KeiselPower99
09-13-2013, 06:17 PM
If you really think about it Cook is right. We dont have a Jamal Charles on this team and neither are Boldin and Fitzgerald. But we could still bring back Leonard Pope!!!!

ALLD
09-14-2013, 06:31 AM
Let Ben call the plays = more wins. They will be unconventional, but they will be Ws.

Master Blaster
09-14-2013, 06:54 AM
I haven't liked how the offense has looked under Haley, but I sure as hell don't want Arians back. For one reason after another, I don't think this team has lived up to its potential on offense for a good 10 years, the 2005 playoffs being the one exception. At least under Whisenhunt we got a lot of fleaflickers and stuff.

Actually, we might have lived up to our potential under him, except that Cowher always tried to start running out the clock with like 13 minutes to go in the third quarter.

We probably lived up to our potential in the Kordell/Maddox years, but the difference there is the offense just wasn't very good to begin with.
Haley's offense is not the issue. It's the player's execution of that offense that is the underlying problem. That fact that they have one of the youngest offensive lines in the league speaks volumes as to why they are struggling. The line needs time to develop into a cohesive unit. Their health is paramount in accomplishing that goal.