PDA

View Full Version : Great Interview with Rod Woodson - Man to Man with Rod Woodson

BlastFurnace
08-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Great Interview with Rod Woodson - Man to Man with Rod Woodson
[/URL]
The Steelers legend is working behind enemy lines, but does he still have a black-and-gold heart?

BY SEAN CONBOY
It’s the miserable thick of summer in wet-hot central Kentucky, and the 45-year-old man with the graying goatee and creaky stride is giving some stick to the 25-year-old second-team All-Pro—the one with muscle striations that run through his biceps like the nearby Red River. The air horn has just sounded to signal the end of a grueling training camp workout, and exhausted defensive linemen are showering themselves with water bottles on the sidelines. Some hop on golf carts and haul-ass to the promise land of air-conditioning like Steve McQueen in a 68’ Mustang.

Yet the young cornerback stays on the field to listen to the wisdom of his team’s new “intern coach.” The trainee schools the young buck about pursuit angles, drawing geometric pattens in the air with the animated hand gestures of an Italian shopkeeper.

The kid hangs on every word, because this is no ordinary advice. This is a masterclass from Professor Rod Woodson, arguably the best defensive back to ever play the game.
So why should this scene concern Steelers fans? Because the young player being lectured is not wearing black-and-gold, but tiger stripes. It's Leon Hall of the rival Cincinnati Bengals, the defending AFC North champs who already have “the best cornerback tandem in the league,” according to Woodson.

Read more: [url]http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Best-of-the-Burgh-Blogs/Pulling-No-Punches/August-2010/Man-to-Man-with-Rod-Woodson/ (http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Be...h-Rod-Woodson/)

SteelerSal
08-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Great article!!

I read something a few years ago that you were also studying to become a minister.

I spent two years in my church’s school of ministry, and now I’m involved in our prison ministry. We’ll go to San Quentin Prison and minister the guys and just talk to them about life.

Wow...I learn something new everyday. Good for Rod.

CantStop85
08-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Always thought Rod Woodson seemed liked a great guy. Sound like he is doing a great job with Leon Hall, too.

After playing for the Steelers and Ravens, I'm just glad that I can finally root for him rather than against him. :chuckle:

SteelerSal
08-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Always thought Rod Woodson seemed liked a great guy. Sound like he is doing a great job with Leon Hall, too.

After playing for the Steelers and Ravens, I'm just glad that I can finally root for him rather than against him. :chuckle:

Well as you read, Woodson is a great character guy.....don't let your boys ruin him.

solardave
08-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Well as you read, Woodson is a great character guy.....don't let your boys ruin him.

Rod's a true Steeler. I'm not worried about the Bengals effect on him. My real concern is his effect on the corners because like it or not that is probably the only area where Cinci has us beat in consistency. Our corners have to play better this year.

HometownGal
08-08-2010, 05:25 PM

:lol: :thumbsup: :lol:

I loved Woodson as a player and to me, he'll be a Steeler until the day he dies. I wasn't really happy with the way he left Pittsburgh and some of the things he said (which ended up ruining his restaurant in Station Square), but he did some simply amazing things on that field that I'll never forget. :drink:

SMR
08-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Cool article! I'm more proud now to have his authentic Starter jersey from '95!

SteelerSal
08-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Cool article! I'm more proud now to have his authentic Starter jersey from '95!

I have both his authentic home and away jersey that I used to wear when he played for us.
My brother and I had a bet on which cornerback would succeed with the Steelers and we ordered the jerseys........my brothers was #44 for DJ Johnson. Best known for kicking an Oiler in the head and getting ejected from a playoff game early for doing it. LOL

SMR
08-08-2010, 05:38 PM
I have both his authentic home and away jersey that I used to wear when he played for us.
My brother and I had a bet on which cornerback would succeed with the Steelers and we ordered the jerseys........my brothers was #44 for DJ Johnson. Best known for kicking an Oiler in the head and getting ejected from a playoff game early for doing it. LOL

Do you still have Woodson's home Starter?? I have his away one. What size is your black one? :grin: