PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits 2.0

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Spike
03-11-2014, 11:32 AM
back to back on NBCS tonight...crush the Caps

Orpik looked like he wanted a piece of Ovie all night - it's good he had a focus, he plays better when he does

Adams can block shots like a lead wall, he can't be killed with conventional weapons

Congrats to Kunitz! - our newest 30+ goal scorer.

Spike
03-12-2014, 12:57 AM
Sid owns Ovie, Malkin plays good against Russians

everybody deserves an A

Fleury gets an A+

of course by knocking the Caps out we might be playing the Flyers in the 1st rd

salamander
03-12-2014, 01:38 AM
Sid owns Ovie, Malkin plays good against Russians

everybody deserves an A

Fleury gets an A+

of course by knocking the Caps out we might be playing the Flyers in the 1st rd

If that happens come playoff time, I'm sure Philly would love nothing more than to knock out the top seeded Penguins.

Spike
03-12-2014, 09:05 AM
If that happens come playoff time, I'm sure Philly would love nothing more than to knock out the top seeded Penguins.

playoff time is right around the corner, and we would be playing the Flyers "if the playoffs started today"

it's a dogfight for those last wildcard spots

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/

Spike
03-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Home and home against the Flyers this weekend, both early games, off till then - nice schedule

X-Terminator
03-12-2014, 01:29 PM

The Flyers are the last team I want the Pens to play. They have problems with New Jersey too, but I'd still rather play them than the Flyers. I am not convinced the Pens will be able to keep their emotions in check against them, and the Flyers play very well in Pittsburgh. Having home ice would mean nothing in that series.

venom
03-12-2014, 03:21 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/qzq1rxzkeyppapc6teci.jpg

zulater
03-12-2014, 03:49 PM
playoff time is right around the corner, and we would be playing the Flyers "if the playoffs started today"

it's a dogfight for those last wildcard spots

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/

Not the series I would choose, but if we win that series to me that's a mini Stanley Cup! Beating the Flyers would satisfy me enough that I could accept a playoff run that fell short of the cup.

In other words I hate the fucking Flyers, and beating those pukes in and of itself is a celebratory moment.

X-Terminator
03-12-2014, 05:34 PM
The upcoming series with the Flyers this weekend well tell a lot about which Penguins team we will see against them should they meet in the first round. The undisciplined crybaby cheap shot artists from 2012, or the focused, hard-working and responsible team we saw last night.

Spike
03-12-2014, 06:04 PM
After watching Kunitz almost snapping his leg in half on the goal post I would rather we lose if we can keep everyone healthy right now

zulater
03-12-2014, 06:18 PM
Orpik played a pretty strong couple games against the Caps. Pairing him with Maata might prove to be what the doctor ordered.

steelerdude15
03-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Orpik played a pretty strong couple games against the Caps. Pairing him with Maata might prove to be what the doctor ordered.

I think he had a bigger impact in the first of the two games, but he was good these past two games. I hope that he can keep it up.

Spike
03-13-2014, 10:09 AM
see? I told you Malkin was moping after Sochi

Malkin Interviewed by Dmitry Chesnokov while walking to the team bus on Monday night

Could you describe your feelings after the exit in Sochi?

“There were no feelings. Emptiness sets it right away. You just don’t understand what is going on. But you do understand this is the end… And again, you see Sid the Olympic champion in the locker room… But a big thank you to them than they came, that they didn’t have their noses up, didn’t show off their medals, that it was all respectful. They understand that today they won. But maybe tomorrow it will be us. They were very respectful and showed a lot of support, because at first [my] mood was non-existent. And I thank them for it.”

Did the Olympics take away from your desire to play hockey?

“It did. But thank God there are games, and I know that wins will come. Maybe I will win with Pittsburg and that will somehow smooth over my disappointment. It’s good that there are a lot of games. We played tonight, playing again tomorrow. It helps. You start forgetting a little bit.”

A lot is expected from your team, and the Penguins didn’t land any big names at the deadline.

“A lot is expected from us every year. And we are currently in first place. Last year we got stronger at the deadline but that didn’t help. So maybe we drew some conclusions this year. At the same time we are planning to have Martin and Letang back. We have a good team. Throughout the season we have been very consistent, in first place. But there is a salary cap. We can’t just buy everyone!”

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/evgeni-malkin-denies-sochi-olympics-rift-with-alex-ovechkin-193827235.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

vader29
03-13-2014, 10:46 PM

vader29
03-14-2014, 11:36 AM

X-Terminator
03-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Well, that's just wonderful. At this point, I might just have to give ol' Dan a pass if they do nothing in the postseason. This has gotten way past the point of ridiculousness.

salamander
03-14-2014, 02:30 PM
The Pens have lost more man-games due to injury than any other team.

Bluecoat96
03-15-2014, 03:53 AM
Is Marcus Gilbert playing hockey now?

salamander
03-15-2014, 12:21 PM
The Flyers just scored a PP goal off of Orpik's stick.

salamander
03-15-2014, 12:33 PM
And now the Pens just gave up a shorthanded goal. I know Neal and Kunitz are out, but come on man...

salamander
03-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Flyers winning 4-0 in the 3rd period.

X-Terminator
03-15-2014, 03:14 PM
Eh, I'll give them a pass on this one, even though I fucking HATE losing to the Flyers. They could build an All-Star team just from the players who are out of the lineup. Hopefully they'll have a better go of it at home tomorrow.

salamander
03-15-2014, 03:21 PM
Eh, I'll give them a pass on this one, even though I fucking HATE losing to the Flyers. They could build an All-Star team just from the players who are out of the lineup. Hopefully they'll have a better go of it at home tomorrow.

I know, and I do agree with you but I'm surrounded by flyers fans where I live and I hate giving them the satisfaction of beating the Pens.

vader29
03-15-2014, 03:25 PM

:chuckle:

steelerdude15
03-15-2014, 03:42 PM
I didn't get to see the game because it was blacked out, but from the Trib's review, it sounds like they were dominated.

salamander
03-16-2014, 11:55 AM
I hate these 12:30 starts. The Pens are already down 2-0 at home against the Flyers.

salamander
03-16-2014, 12:04 PM
Make that 3-0. :doh:

X-Terminator
03-16-2014, 12:13 PM
Well, the Pens finally scored a goal at least. Yesterday I gave them a pass...today is just freaking embarrassing. Does ANYONE on this team have any heart? Any at all??

salamander
03-16-2014, 12:45 PM
They pulled Fleury and now it's 3-2.

zulater
03-16-2014, 01:02 PM
I was listening to the David Todd show the other day and they were talking about how teams like the Flyers and Bruins match lines with the Penguins to get their best unit's out against Sid. They say Blysma never bothers to try to manage Sid away from the other team's best line as he considers Sid better than their best. Which very well may be true. But when you have the last change shouldn't you try to get your best line on against their worst? I mean 9 out of 10 times your best, no matter how good they are, against the other guy's best will cancel out. Maybe you net one this way. But if you can get a mismatch aren't your chances of scoring that much greater? I mean Mario never seemed to care which line he torched. Get some mismatches Dan and maybe Sid can score a few rather than just cancel the other team's best unit out!

Blysma has pictures on someone obviously. Another one and done coming up! :frusty:

X-Terminator
03-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Bylsma, match lines? Surely you jest! I'm still mystified as to how the guy managed to keep his job. Starting Fleury instead of Zatkoff today was also beyond freaking stupid.

The Pens will be one-and-done because of their injury problems. Having an idiot for a head coach only makes it worse.

zulater
03-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Bylsma, match lines? Surely you jest! I'm still mystified as to how the guy managed to keep his job. Starting Fleury instead of Zatkoff today was also beyond freaking stupid.

The Pens will be one-and-done because of their injury problems. Having an idiot for a head coach only makes it worse.

I'm starting to think it's a combination of Blysma and the two Super Star center model just doesn't work. In a salary cap driven league I don't think you can invest that kind of money in one position for similar type players. Eventually they're going to need to trade Malkin. Because in my opinion the current climate just wont work again.

X-Terminator
03-16-2014, 01:33 PM
I'm starting to think it's a combination of Blysma and the two Super Star center model just doesn't work. In a salary cap driven league I don't think you can invest that kind of money in one position for similar type players. Eventually they're going to need to trade Malkin. Because in my opinion the current climate just wont work again.

I disagree with that. It can work if they have the right supporting cast around them. That is also a large part of the problem. If the Pens can win the Cup with guys like Ruslan Fedotenko and Max Talbot playing on the 2nd line, then they can win with the current incarnation. They also need to strengthen their 3rd line with something other than AHL castoffs, and that can be done with something as simple as keeping Stempniak and Goc, and moving Dupuis to the 3rd line next season. A 3rd line of Goc - Sutter - Dupuis would be pretty damn good IMO.

They should ONLY consider a Malkin trade if they get a legitimate and established superstar winger in return. Otherwise, it should not even cross their minds, and even then, I probably would not support it. IMO, they should have traded Letang last summer and gotten a huge return, especially now considering his health issues (sorry to bring this up, but...) and the development of Olli Maatta. His contract is really the one that is going to cripple the team moving forward.

Any coach worth his salt in the league will tell you that having 2 superstar centers creates matchup nightmares. But if they are being coached by a nimrod who doesn't believe in that sort of thing, then it's pretty much useless having that model. That's why Bylsma needs to go.

zulater
03-16-2014, 01:55 PM
Swept by the Flyers! :doh: What a garbage weekend. :frusty:

zulater
03-16-2014, 02:02 PM
2 games, 6 period's of hockey. The Pens showed up for the last period, and that was pretty much it. 5 periods of total shit hockey! Fuck the injury excuses. That's all they are is excuses. The Pens weren't prepared to play. Didn't match the Flyers intensity or wits. The Flyers had a plan and executed it. The Pens were lost and duped at every turn into playing Flyers hockey.

It's a case of one team having a coach and the other having a best buddy.

X-Terminator
03-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Swept by the Flyers! :doh: What a garbage weekend. :frusty:

Better hope they don't meet in the first round, otherwise you'll be saying that again. The Flyers are 100% in the Penguins' heads, and it certainly doesn't help when you have your 3rd and 4th leading scorers and top 2 puck-moving defensemen out of the lineup.

That said, it would be nice if they had a head coach who knew how to come up with a real game plan and make adjustments, rather than make bonehead decisions like starting Fleury in a back-to-back situation only to end up pulling him after the first period. Brilliant!

steelerdude15
03-16-2014, 05:16 PM
I think the Pens came out more aggressive in the beginning of the game. Once the Flyers scored the first goal, the Flyers took control of the first period up until the last few minutes. The Pens were playing sloppy and I really don't put the blame on Marc for a couple of the goals scored on him. The first goal could have easily been prevented if Robert controlled the puck instead of letting it get away from him. Then the Flyer got behind him and burned him. This also happened on one of their power play goals. This is something I've noticed through out the year. The Pens are allowing wingers of opposite teams to get behind them and have a clear and easy chance to get a goal. The Pens did have their moments tonight and had some good chances. It would be nice if some of the passes were on target, that could have helped get the puck in the net. There were a few times when someone would make a cross ice pass and it would be off target, allowing the Flyers to gain possession of the puck back in their zone. All in all, both teams were inconsistent today, but the Flyers were the better team. There is no doubt that the Flyers know how to get in their heads. The Pens can and have beaten them. They have to relax and not let them get in their heads, but it seems its so easy for the Flyers to do it.

salamander
03-16-2014, 05:24 PM
Can we please get rid of Bylsma?

SteelMember
03-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Well, that was pretty good. The Pens score 7 goals. Too bad only 4 were in the right net.

Probably lucky we even got a point in that one. A 5:00 min. PP that ended the 3rd and rolled about a minute and a half into overtime, where we don't even register a shot. Then, to top it off, the jerk Alfredsson scores the winner off Scuderi with 0.4 left on the clock... deflating. We should have finished that in regulation.

salamander
03-21-2014, 12:36 PM
Apparently Beau Bennett will be playing down in WBS on a conditioning stint. Maybe they can send Letang and Vokoun down here on conditioning stints as well...we can use the publicity and the attendance boost it would bring.

X-Terminator
03-21-2014, 03:48 PM
I'd rather just pretend last night's game didn't happen.

Moving on...

salamander
03-23-2014, 03:15 PM
I didn't watch the game but I'm just gonna guess that Bylsma still refuses to make adjustments and that's why we couldn't score?

X-Terminator
03-23-2014, 04:18 PM
I didn't watch the game but I'm just gonna guess that Bylsma still refuses to make adjustments and that's why we couldn't score?

They played pretty well overall, but they couldn't take advantage of the few scoring chances they got or score on the PP. Too much one-and-done. The team doesn't have the mentality or the desire to go to the net and create havoc for the opposing goalie, and that is what I blame Bylsma for.

vader29
03-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Seriously this team has got a huge curse on it.

salamander
03-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Because why the hell not? Jayson Megna was called up from WBS also.

X-Terminator
03-25-2014, 04:07 PM
*throws hands in the air and gives up*

salamander
03-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Should the Pittsburgh Penguins fire Dan Bylsma?

In 1998-99, the New Jersey Devils posted 105 points and finished first place in the Eastern Conference, but were knocked out in the first round by the Pittsburgh Penguins in seven games. The next season, on March 23, 2000, the Devils had a 41-20-8-5 record and sat first place in the Eastern Conference. And though there were only eight games left in the season, New Jersey had dropped 10 of its past 16, so GM Lou Lamoriello fired coach Robbie Ftorek (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/nhl/news/2000/03/23/ftorek_devils_ap/#more) and replaced him with assistant Larry Robinson.

The Devils won the Cup that season.

When Lamoriello talked to the media about the surprising decision to cut his coach so late in the season, he said “I did not see the light at the end of the tunnel. I did not think we would come out of this slump…and go forward.”

Ftorek’s situation isn’t the same as Dan Bylsma’s currently is in Pittsburgh. Unlike Ftorek (http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2000-03-26/sports/0003280348_1_lamoriello-ken-daneyko-devils), Bylsma has the backing of his players and a Jack Adams on his resume. He’s also dealt with a slew of injuries this year as the Penguins lead the NHL in man-games lost. But in the 14 games since the Olympic break ended, the Penguins have only won six and dropped back-to-back games to division rival Philadelphia. Over that time Kris Letang was obviously missing, but Chris Kunitz, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and James Neal combined to miss only five games. Most of the heavy hitters were playing through most of this stretch.

more: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/should-the-pittsburgh-penguins-fire-dan-bylsma/

X-Terminator
03-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Duh. Of COURSE they should fire him. If Lou Lamoriello could do it, Ray Shero certainly can.

salamander
03-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Well, just like their parent club, the Baby Pens can't seem to beat the Bruins (the Providence Bruins that is). Even the P-Bruins play a very physical, defensive game and the Baby Pens couldn't score if their lives depended on it last night. Don't mind me, this is mostly out of frustration because WBS is in an arms race for playoff positioning and need every point they can get with only 9 games left.

salamander
03-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Apparently the rumor is out there. Hopefully it happens before we get embarrassed in the playoffs again.

Top Line: Penguins coach Bylsma, five Maple Leafs on hot seat...• Rob Rossi explains what’s behind the Penguins’ lackluster 6-6-2 record (http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/5831018-74/penguins-niskanen-maatta#axzz2x9yHzsGx) since the Olympic break. Rossi’s reasons all seem like valid explanations, but they’re not quieting rumors that Pittsburgh may consider a coaching change before the playoffs.

more: http://nhl.si.com/2014/03/27/top-line-penguins-coach-bylsma-five-maple-leafs-on-hot-seat-more-links/

X-Terminator
03-27-2014, 01:35 PM
They don't have the balls.

X-Terminator
03-27-2014, 09:14 PM
And now Goc is injured, and from the looks of it, might be done for the season. All they need now is for Crosby to have his annual injury, and finally put an end to this pathetic waste of a season.

zulater
03-27-2014, 09:20 PM
They actually played a good game tonight against a good team. But got screwed on a disallowed goal that somehow ignored multiple cross checks against Sutter that virtually forced him into the goalie interference they somehow called after review, even though that's not a call subject to review?

salamander
03-29-2014, 06:26 PM
In lieu of the traditional playoff "white out," the WBS Pens have asked their fans to start wearing gold in the playoffs. They're looking to start a new tradition that they're calling a "gold rush."

oneforthetoe
03-31-2014, 10:59 AM
Went to the game last night. Pens out played most of the game but still won. Thank you Flower. Great legal hit by Orpik. Mike Milbury once again proves why he is an idiot. Only thing that would have made the game better would have been winning the 50/50 for 20 thousand.

SteelMember
03-31-2014, 11:14 AM
Nice little article on YaHoo (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/mike-milbury--brooks-oprik-and-the-idiocy-of-retribution-143725598.html) this morning about Milbury's big yapper...

oneforthetoe
03-31-2014, 11:17 AM
Nice little article on YaHoo (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/mike-milbury--brooks-oprik-and-the-idiocy-of-retribution-143725598.html) this morning about Milbury's big yapper...

Yea read that good article.

SteelMember
03-31-2014, 11:31 AM
Went to the game last night. Pens out played most of the game but still won. Thank you Flower. Great legal hit by Orpik. Mike Milbury once again proves why he is an idiot. Only thing that would have made the game better would have been winning the 50/50 for 20 thousand.

I would agree on the "outplayed"... at least until the 3rd when Crosby got his 2nd chance on a turnover/oddman rush... which he buried. Once we went up by 2 again, the D got in the way enough with their stick checking to let Fleury breathe a little more. I think it was a typical night from Fleury. He made some great saves, and f*cked up a few hand offs when he went behind the cage.

X-Terminator
03-31-2014, 11:53 AM
Of course, I have to weigh in on the Orpik hit. It was most definitely a clean hit, but when you hit the other team's star and captain like that, I believe you should be ready to drop the gloves. Orpik does not give quarter to anyone, and does not care if you are a superstar or a 4th-liner. I would feel the same way if Orpik was a Hawk and hit Crosby like that. Call me what you want - neanderthal, whatever - but I'm an old-school fan who believes in old-school justice. Star players should have the room they need to do what they do best and not have to worry about being obliterated by huge body checks, because they impact the team's ability to win.

So I guess you can say I disagree with the Yahoo article.

As for the game itself, I did like the physical play from the Pens, but they are still an adventure to watch in their own zone. They're lucky Fleury was on his game and they caught the Hawks at the right time, or it would have been a completely different game.

SteelMember
03-31-2014, 12:29 PM
Yeah, Yeah... we got that the last time Orpik layed a hit and faced the "old school" critics. He gets a slew foot and a cheap shot after a big hit, and he's probably lucky to come back and play and yet he doesn't change his game one bit. Lesson learned?

X-Terminator
03-31-2014, 02:45 PM
Why should he change his game? He has no reason to, since the league has pretty much banned any sort of retaliation thanks to the instigator penalty and - today - long suspensions, so he and other players like him are protected by the league. 25 years ago, he would have had an entire team going after him and would have been forced to drop the gloves, especially after hitting their best player. Even 10 years ago, someone would have hounded him all night long. Fans today want to see superstars and skill so much these days...well, superstars are useless if they're sitting on the trainer's table because players are being allowed to run them without any fear of retribution.

But whatever, new-age fans dominate the sport nowadays, just like the NFL, and as such the league is being ruined because they're doing too much to cater to them while taking away from the essence of the game.

SteelMember
03-31-2014, 03:51 PM
I can understand you point of protecting your star players, but you even said yourself "it was a clean hit" and so was the one in Boston. I don't think you should have to defend yourself for playing the game within the rules, and within the whistles. Sure, he don't fight... but I don't think he should he have to "defend" himself for dishing it out legally. I don't think Orpik "targets/runs" anyone just because they might have an extra letter on the front of their sweater either.

Anyway...

zulater
03-31-2014, 05:38 PM
Of course, I have to weigh in on the Orpik hit. It was most definitely a clean hit, but when you hit the other team's star and captain like that, I believe you should be ready to drop the gloves. Orpik does not give quarter to anyone, and does not care if you are a superstar or a 4th-liner. I would feel the same way if Orpik was a Hawk and hit Crosby like that. Call me what you want - neanderthal, whatever - but I'm an old-school fan who believes in old-school justice. Star players should have the room they need to do what they do best and not have to worry about being obliterated by huge body checks, because they impact the team's ability to win.

So I guess you can say I disagree with the Yahoo article.

As for the game itself, I did like the physical play from the Pens, but they are still an adventure to watch in their own zone. They're lucky Fleury was on his game and they caught the Hawks at the right time, or it would have been a completely different game.

So every time Orpik ( or anyone else) levels a guy with a clean hit he should be ready to fight? So say he does, he goes off for 5 minutes, and then 1 minute later the opponents go on the power play, now you don't have one of your top penalty killers available to kill a critical penalty. Yeah that makes sense. :doh: :frusty:

Or say he gets hurt in the fight, happens often enough, now you're down a defenseman the rest of the game. Again real clever.

Hard clean legal checks are exactly that and shouldn't require you to fight to defend your actions.

Jeez I guess every time Faneca pancaked a linebacker on a sweep he should have had to fight afterwards. Yeah I know different sport, but it's an insane thought process that would have you willingly put yourself out of game action when your services could prove critical, all because you delivered a legal check.

- - - Updated - - -

Why should he change his game? He has no reason to, since the league has pretty much banned any sort of retaliation thanks to the instigator penalty and - today - long suspensions, so he and other players like him are protected by the league. 25 years ago, he would have had an entire team going after him and would have been forced to drop the gloves, especially after hitting their best player. Even 10 years ago, someone would have hounded him all night long. Fans today want to see superstars and skill so much these days...well, superstars are useless if they're sitting on the trainer's table because players are being allowed to run them without any fear of retribution.

But whatever, new-age fans dominate the sport nowadays, just like the NFL, and as such the league is being ruined because they're doing too much to cater to them while taking away from the essence of the game.

Ulfie didn't fight. I don't recall it ruining the game back then. :coffee:

X-Terminator
03-31-2014, 06:07 PM
Actually, Ulf did fight - quite a bit, actually - especially earlier in his career. He also had a reputation as a dirty player, which Orpik also had early in his career with many hits from behind. He broke Erik Cole's (then with Carolina) neck in 2006 on a hit from behind, as a matter of fact. Orpik changed that part of his game, to his credit.

But aside from that, my point is that I would not want my star players taking those kinds of big hits from anyone, and I would make damn sure that message was sent. It wouldn't matter if the hit was clean. Like I said, superstars are much more useful when they are actually playing, rather than in the trainer's room, because new-age fans don't think they should have any kind of protection on the ice.

zulater
03-31-2014, 07:16 PM
Actually, Ulf did fight - quite a bit, actually - especially earlier in his career. He also had a reputation as a dirty player, which Orpik also had early in his career with many hits from behind. He broke Erik Cole's (then with Carolina) neck in 2006 on a hit from behind, as a matter of fact. Orpik changed that part of his game, to his credit.

But aside from that, my point is that I would not want my star players taking those kinds of big hits from anyone, and I would make damn sure that message was sent. It wouldn't matter if the hit was clean. Like I said, superstars are much more useful when they are actually playing, rather than in the trainer's room, because new-age fans don't think they should have any kind of protection on the ice.

Ulfie rarely fought as a Penguin. But he sure rocked a lot of boats in the ocean.

X-Terminator
03-31-2014, 09:41 PM
Ulfie rarely fought as a Penguin. But he sure rocked a lot of boats in the ocean.

11 fights in 4+ seasons as a Penguin. Not a lot, but more than Orpik has dropped the gloves in the past 10 years, and only 3 less than Orpik has in his entire career.

SteelMember
04-01-2014, 09:47 AM
So, Orpik can't fight. Maybe he didn't see Youngblood... :rolleyes:

Still don't understand why it would be necessary for him to answer the bell and take an ass beating for a hard, legal play. Just to make the other team feel better about it? Stupid.
Then we could send a guy out the to beat that guys ass. and so on. and so on. Welcome back to goon hockey! We demand entertainment! :rulez:

MrPgh
04-01-2014, 10:49 AM
So the Penguins get hemmed in their own end a lot against Chicago, and what does Bylsma do? He continues to play a marginal player, Engelland, over a young puck-moving defeseman, Despres. Engelland was a turnover machine against Chicago, but he continues to play because Bylsma loves marginal players. Meanwhile Despres took one phantom penalty against Columbus on Friday and he's scratched for it. Under Bylsma, only young players with pedigree are held accountable. Washed-up vets and AHL scrubs can play as poorly as they want.

It was a mistake for them to bring Bylsma back this year.

X-Terminator
04-01-2014, 12:19 PM
So, Orpik can't fight. Maybe he didn't see Youngblood... :rolleyes:

Still don't understand why it would be necessary for him to answer the bell and take an ass beating for a hard, legal play. Just to make the other team feel better about it? Stupid.
Then we could send a guy out the to beat that guys ass. and so on. and so on. Welcome back to goon hockey! We demand entertainment! :rulez:

Listen, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I'm not going to change your mind, you aren't going to change mine. I am very passionate about keeping fighting in the game, fighting's role in the game, and understand that I am among the last of the dinosaurs when it comes to that. Don't worry, guys - there will be no fighting in 10 years, and you'll get your wish of European-style hockey. But until then, I WILL strongly defend it and it's place in the game.

However, just to put an exclamation point on exactly what I've been trying to explain to you the past 2 days, I give you this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ0F_WbZcyk

THAT is how it's done.

X-Terminator
04-01-2014, 01:30 PM
So the Penguins get hemmed in their own end a lot against Chicago, and what does Bylsma do? He continues to play a marginal player, Engelland, over a young puck-moving defeseman, Despres. Engelland was a turnover machine against Chicago, but he continues to play because Bylsma loves marginal players. Meanwhile Despres took one phantom penalty against Columbus on Friday and he's scratched for it. Under Bylsma, only young players with pedigree are held accountable. Washed-up vets and AHL scrubs can play as poorly as they want.

It was a mistake for them to bring Bylsma back this year.

The team is disappointed with Despres' development. Well, how can he develop properly if he has to play on eggshells every night? One mistake, and it's nachos in the press box for him. Maatta has managed to escape that kind of treatment, thankfully.

Bylsma is simply terrible at utilizing talent. His complete misuse of Jarome Iginla last season should have sealed his doom, but no...he's brought back once again so that the "country club" stays intact. Good one, Ray. Iggy sure proved he was washed up with his 30 goals in Boston this season.

Anyway, the Pens can clinch the Metro Division title tonight with a win or Flyers regulation loss or OT/SO loss + Flyers loss in any fashion. Golf claps all around!

MrPgh
04-01-2014, 01:46 PM
The team is disappointed with Despres' development. Well, how can he develop properly if he has to play on eggshells every night? One mistake, and it's nachos in the press box for him. Maatta has managed to escape that kind of treatment, thankfully.

Bylsma is simply terrible at utilizing talent. His complete misuse of Jarome Iginla last season should have sealed his doom, but no...he's brought back once again so that the "country club" stays intact. Good one, Ray. Iggy sure proved he was washed up with his 30 goals in Boston this season.

Anyway, the Pens can clinch the Metro Division title tonight with a win or Flyers regulation loss or OT/SO loss + Flyers loss in any fashion. Golf claps all around!

Bylsma is awful with young talented players because he himself was a marginal NHLer at best. That's why Bylsma prefers guys like Deryk Engelland and Craig Adams because they remind Bylsma of himself as a player.

I just don't understand how Shero isn't absolutely LIVID with Bylsma after his misuse of Iginla last year and his overall horrible line-up decisions. The only logical explanation is that Shero is buddy-buddy with Bylsma and has blind faith in him no matter how often he fucks up. Even if the Penguins have another playoff flame-out this year I doubt Shero will want to fire Bylsma, Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle will have to do it.

SteelMember
04-01-2014, 02:41 PM
However, just to put an exclamation point on exactly what I've been trying to explain to you the past 2 days, I give you this:

Hey, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm trying to understand the reasoning. Not even fighting as a whole. Just these instances where there is a perception that you have to fight if you're going to play physically. The hits weren't cheap. They weren't illegal. Just hard play.

Even in your example, I see a hard hit. Inginla upset he was hit. Then he gets it handed to him... again. So what, he just wanted his chance for instant retribution? That's the code? A chance to save face? That's how it's done?

If you don't want to help explain your point, then fine... don't. That's you prerogative. Agree to disagree, but don't just throw out "new-age" fan like it's some kind of insult then give no reasoning outside of you don't want your stars hurt.

- - - Updated - - -

If we get bounced in the 1st round again this year, Bylsma "should" be fired. He should have been fired last year, but instead got an extension. :doh:

X-Terminator
04-01-2014, 02:49 PM
Hey, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm trying to understand the reasoning. Not even fighting as a whole. Just these instances where there is a perception that you have to fight if you're going to play physically. The hits weren't cheap. They weren't illegal. Just hard play.

Even in your example, I see a hard hit. Inginla upset he was hit. Then he gets it handed to him... again. So what, he just wanted his chance for instant retribution? That's the code? A chance to save face? That's how it's done?

If you don't want to help explain your point, then fine... don't. That's you prerogative. Agree to disagree, but don't just throw out "new-age" fan like it's some kind of insult then give no reasoning outside of you don't want your stars hurt.

Because even clean hits have consequences.

If a guy is going to run around like he's King Kong, throwing big hits at star players, then he should expect someone to take offense to it, either from the guy who was hit or another member of the team. It's about settling the game down and sending a message to the other team that those hits will not be tolerated against anyone on the team, especially if it's a superstar involved. It's about PROTECTION.

You probably still won't get it, but whatever.

I throw out the term "new-age fan" because those are the ones who constantly whine about fighting in the game or want it only in certain situations, when what they really want is for it to be eliminated from the game. Admittedly, I really don't know what kind of fan you are, but I REALLY get pissed when anyone talks about not understanding any aspect of fighting and why it happens. No fight happens without a reason behind it, not even the so-called "staged fights."

I want fighting to be left alone, without any restrictions or exclusions outside of the rules against bench-clearing brawls and 3rd-man in. This is hockey, not psychology class. If two grown men want to drop the gloves to settle their differences, let them.

salamander
04-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Which a chance to clinch the division, the Pens are playing like shit against the Canes.

X-Terminator
04-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Of course they are. That team is just pathetic anymore. Follows up a win over the Hawks with this shit.

Let's just get their early exit over with so I can move on to Pirates baseball. Sick of this bullshit from them.

zulater
04-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Because even clean hits have consequences.

If a guy is going to run around like he's King Kong, throwing big hits at star players, then he should expect someone to take offense to it, either from the guy who was hit or another member of the team. It's about settling the game down and sending a message to the other team that those hits will not be tolerated against anyone on the team, especially if it's a superstar involved. It's about PROTECTION.

You probably still won't get it, but whatever.

I throw out the term "new-age fan" because those are the ones who constantly whine about fighting in the game or want it only in certain situations, when what they really want is for it to be eliminated from the game. Admittedly, I really don't know what kind of fan you are, but I REALLY get pissed when anyone talks about not understanding any aspect of fighting and why it happens. No fight happens without a reason behind it, not even the so-called "staged fights."

I want fighting to be left alone, without any restrictions or exclusions outside of the rules against bench-clearing brawls and 3rd-man in. This is hockey, not psychology class. If two grown men want to drop the gloves to settle their differences, let them.

I'm no "New age fan". Attended my very first Penguin game in 75 and been hooked since. Never been a fan of Flyer knuckle dragging hockey. When I want to see a fight I'll turn on boxing or MMA.

And I know why fights happen. I just don't think they are essential to the product.

X-Terminator
04-01-2014, 09:13 PM
I'm no "New age fan". Attended my very first Penguin game in 75 and been hooked since. Never been a fan of Flyer knuckle dragging hockey. When I want to see a fight I'll turn on boxing or MMA.

And I know why fights happen. I just don't think they are essential to the product.

Don't worry, you will eventually get your wish. And at that point, I will probably be checking out, because even though the sport will look like hockey, it won't be. It will be a boring shell of what it once was. Hell, most games are barely watchable now, including the soft as shit Penguins.

If I want to watch figure skating, I'll turn on ESPN2.

zulater
04-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Which a chance to clinch the division, the Pens are playing like shit against the Canes. Get it out of the way now. Todays game has no bearing on how they will perform in the playoffs. By the time the playoffs starts this team will feed on all the negativity and doubt surrounding them. Nothing like an us against the world chip on your shoulder to take into the playoffs.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't worry, you will eventually get your wish. And at that point, I will probably be checking out, because even though the sport will look like hockey, it won't be. It will be a boring shell of what it once was. Hell, most games are barely watchable now, including the soft as shit Penguins.

If I want to watch figure skating, I'll turn on ESPN2.

Stupid is as stupid does. :coffee: Yeah that was meant to offend because I sure as fuck took offense at your last post.

X-Terminator
04-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Stupid is as stupid does. :coffee: Yeah that was meant to offend because I sure as fuck took offense at your last post.

Well hey, sorry. That's how I feel about the pacifist non-fighting crowd trying to ruin the game I have loved for over a generation. I actually tried to bow out of this conversation earlier because of my feelings on this subject, but I got sucked back in. But the bottom line is I have had it up to here with them.

Leave the fucking game alone.

zulater
04-01-2014, 09:31 PM
Well hey, sorry. That's how I feel about the pacifist non-fighting crowd trying to ruin the game I have loved for over a generation. I actually tried to bow out of this conversation earlier because of my feelings on this subject, but I got sucked back in. But the bottom line is I have had it up to here with them.

Leave the fucking game alone.

Fighting is on it's way out of hockey, but it's not because of who you're blaming. Most hockey fans are fine with it in a limited role as are the league's governors. It's the concussion lawsuit threat that will make it go away in the end.

Regardless if a man makes a legal check and doesn't want to fight that's his right. If your stars don't want to be hit tell them to keep their head on a swivel.

Steelerette
04-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Fire Bylsma

X-Terminator
04-01-2014, 09:44 PM
Fighting is on it's way out of hockey, but it's not because of who you're blaming. Most hockey fans are fine with it in a limited role as are the league's governors. It's the concussion lawsuit threat that will make it go away in the end.

Don't kid yourself, the push to ban fighting by the anti-fighting crowd has been going on long before the concussion lawsuit happened (which is BS in and of itself, but that's for another discussion). The lawsuit is simply a convenient excuse. It doesn't matter if the vast majority of the fans and players don't want to see it banned. The league could end up losing millions of dollars, and that trumps all. Same exact thing that's happened in the NFL and everything they have done to take as much physicality out of the sport as they can, while still calling it "football."

Regardless if a man makes a legal check and doesn't want to fight that's his right. If your stars don't want to be hit tell them to keep their head on a swivel.

You are correct. However, I also believe that if another team thinks your legal check crosses the line and wants you to answer for it, you should be a man and own up. Don't pussy out and hide behind the refs or the league. Settle it right then and there. If you don't, then you risk your own star players getting harassed and hit hard all night long, and if they get hurt, well, that's too bad.

zulater
04-01-2014, 09:47 PM
Fire Bylsma

Should have been done last year. Truth be told even before that. He won with Therrian's team. Yeah they hated Therrian, but he gave the team structure. And they rode that structure to the Cup. The further they get away from Therrian the worse they've become, despite all their talent.

Of course the injuries will save him again this year. To some extent that's legit, but this team under perform's when healthy too.

Steelerette
04-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Should have been done last year. Truth be told even before that. He won with Therrian's team. Yeah they hated Therrian, but he gave the team structure. And they rode that structure to the Cup. The further they get away from Therrian the worse they've become, despite all their talent.

Of course the injuries will save him again this year. To some extent that's legit, but this team under perform's when healthy too.
I'd almost rather have a mediocre hockey team than have an elite team that keeps losing down the stretch and ultimately blows up in the playoffs. Frustrating.

zulater
04-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Don't kid yourself, the push to ban fighting by the anti-fighting crowd has been going on long before the concussion lawsuit happened (which is BS in and of itself, but that's for another discussion). The lawsuit is simply a convenient excuse. It doesn't matter if the vast majority of the fans and players don't want to see it banned. The league could end up losing millions of dollars, and that trumps all. Same exact thing that's happened in the NFL and everything they have done to take as much physicality out of the sport as they can, while still calling it "football."

You are correct. However, I also believe that if another team thinks your legal check crosses the line and wants you to answer for it, you should be a man and own up. Don't pussy out and hide behind the refs or the league. Settle it right then and there. If you don't, then you risk your own star players getting harassed and hit hard all night long, and if they get hurt, well, that's too bad.

So Oprik fighting means the other teams top checkers are going to pull up on Sid and Geno when they have a chance to legally lay them out? Sorry, I don't see that. Too many examples of Flyers and Bruins taking legal and illegal liberties with them both for me to buy that argument.

X-Terminator
04-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Fire Bylsma

That's why I'm rooting for a first round exit. Because that is the only way they will even consider firing him. Unfortunately, as zulater said, he has a built-in excuse to keep his job with the injury situation. But bottom line, the team will never compete for or win the Cup again with him behind the bench.

So Oprik fighting means the other teams top checkers are going to pull up on Sid and Geno when they have a chance to legally lay them out? Sorry, I don't see that. Too many examples of Flyers and Bruins taking legal and illegal liberties with them both for me to buy that argument.

They do that because they know the Pens don't have an answer for any of it, nor do they have the discipline to ignore it and keep playing their game. They don't have guys who will harass or go after their stars. It's smart strategy on their part.

And yes, Orpik fighting lessens the chance that the game gets out of hand. Some of the Islanders players blamed Max Talbot refusing to fight after a hit on one of their players for sparking the huge brawl 3 years ago. Orpik fighting when he was challenged by Shawn Thornton after hitting Loui Eriksson would have prevented him from being attacked by Thornton later on in the game. For people who don't like seeing goonery and thuggish behavior, those are prime examples of how a fight can put an end to those things before they even get started.

MrPgh
04-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Bylsma once again dresses Engelland over Despres, and look what happened. This just can't be said enough: They should not have brought Bylsma back after last year's playoff exit. He is past his expiration date.

Steelerette
04-01-2014, 10:04 PM
The enforcer is my favorite part of the game... when everyone else was sporting Lemieux and Coffey, I was sporting Troy Loney.

zulater
04-01-2014, 10:05 PM
That's why I'm rooting for a first round exit. Because that is the only way they will even consider firing him. Unfortunately, as zulater said, he has a built-in excuse to keep his job with the injury situation. But bottom line, the team will never compete for or win the Cup again with him behind the bench.

What's amazing to me is the double standard they displayed. Therrian coming off a Stanley Cup Final appearance gets canned midseason the next year because they weren't playing up to standards. So how do we excuse season after season of losing to lower seeded teams in the playoffs every year since they won the Cup by Blysma? :frusty:

Steelerette
04-01-2014, 10:10 PM
What's amazing to me is the double standard they displayed. Therrian coming off a Stanley Cup Final appearance gets canned midseason the next year because they weren't playing up to standards. So how do we excuse season after season of losing to lower seeded teams in the playoffs every year since they won the Cup by Blysma? :frusty:

They probably painted themselves into a corner by firing Therrien so hastily. Now they can't fire Bylsma until popular sentiment is on their side or they risk becoming the Browns...

zulater
04-01-2014, 10:15 PM
They probably painted themselves into a corner by firing Therrien so hastily. Now they can't fire Bylsma until popular sentiment is on their side or they risk becoming the Browns...

When you have the two best centers in the sport, both in their prime you can't settle for one Cup in that window of time. Something needs to be done before the window closes.

X-Terminator
04-01-2014, 10:25 PM

There is none. Which makes their whole spiel about "anything less than competing for the Stanley Cup is unacceptable" a complete crock of shit. Their actions say otherwise.

If the Devils could fire the head coach of a conference-leading team with less than 10 games left in the season, the Penguins certainly could have done the same. But they don't have the balls and have WAY too much loyalty.

MrPgh
04-01-2014, 10:55 PM

Part of the problem is that Ray Shero seems to be too buddy-buddy with Bylsma. No matter how often Bylsma makes mind-numbingly bad decisions, Shero will continue to back him and put blind faith in him. It was easy to fire Therrien in 2009 because a) the Penguins were fading out of the Eastern Conference playoff picture at the time, and b) Therrien was never really Shero's "guy" as Therrien was hired in the middle of the 2005-06 season when Craig Patrick was still the GM.

I don't think it's all that surprising that Shero was a better GM before Bylsma was the coach. He probably shared a more professional relationship with Therrien rather than a buddy-buddy relationship like he has with Bylsma. I'm not advocating bringing Therrien back. He hit his expiration date in 2009 and he's coaching in Montreal now anyways. What I am suggesting is that Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle need to step in and separate those two by means of firing Bylsma.

X-Terminator
04-03-2014, 12:43 AM
The Bucs have already shown more grit in 2 games than the Pens have shown all season, and that's pretty damn sad. If they played with even half of their heart and determination, they'd be unstoppable.

SteelMember
04-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Martin back tonight.

salamander
04-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Nice win tonight. Metro Division champs.

X-Terminator
04-04-2014, 12:52 AM
Watching the replay of the game right now...I'm only halfway through the first period and I feel like I want to go to sleep.

Good. That's exactly the kind of boring as shit hockey the Pens need to play in the postseason.

May as well rest some guys now, because they aren't catching the Bruins for the top seed. The way they've sleepwalked through the past 2 months, I wouldn't notice the difference anyway.

salamander
04-04-2014, 08:29 AM
BTW, I still think "Metropolitan" is the dumbest name for a division...ever.

X-Terminator
04-04-2014, 11:54 AM
BTW, I still think "Metropolitan" is the dumbest name for a division...ever.

I agree. Just dumb. I just shorten it to "Metro", but it's still dumb.

vader29
04-04-2014, 12:14 PM
I call it the Neapolitan division, but then I get the urge for some Ice Cream. :(

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/03/74/98/24/0003749824102_500X500.jpg

steelerdude15
04-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Last night's victory was a good one. It was nice to see Paul back in the line up and this is the best I've seen Bennett play since he's come back from his wrist injury. He's definitely more noticeable. He's around the net more, shoots more, and seems to be battling more than ever before.

X-Terminator
04-05-2014, 08:30 PM
Pens down 4-0 to the Wild in the 2nd period, showing little to no effort. They may as well forfeit the rest of the regular season games, because they obviously have no interest in playing them. Besides, I want them as healthy as possible going into the first round, because I want ZERO excuses when the inevitable flame-out happens.

zulater
04-06-2014, 12:42 AM
Pens down 4-0 to the Wild in the 2nd period, showing little to no effort. They may as well forfeit the rest of the regular season games, because they obviously have no interest in playing them. Besides, I want them as healthy as possible going into the first round, because I want ZERO excuses when the inevitable flame-out happens.

You really enjoy this stuff don't you? :chuckle:

X-Terminator
04-06-2014, 02:35 AM
You really enjoy this stuff don't you? :chuckle:

I'd like for them to prove me dead wrong, actually. But I'm not counting on it.

zulater
04-06-2014, 07:05 AM
I'd like for them to prove me dead wrong, actually. But I'm not counting on it.

It's probably wrong for me to say this, because I've got some of it in me too. But it seems to me as if you've become a joyless sports "follower" as opposed to fan. When your team wins it's expected, there's little or no pleasure derived from it, because they're just doing what they're supposed to do. The only satisfaction that can ever be found is the delivery of a championship.

If you're being paid to coach the team, be it's star player, or it's architect then that's probably the attitude you should take. But otherwise I think maybe we need to reexamine our priorities at times and figure out why we're sports fans?

If you're getting more misery than pleasure out of what's supposed to be a source of leisure and entertainment then is it really worth having in your life, or at least occupying such a significant portion of it?

salamander
04-06-2014, 09:56 AM
The Pens called up Adam Payerl from the WBS Pens.

X-Terminator
04-06-2014, 11:16 AM
It's probably wrong for me to say this, because I've got some of it in me too. But it seems to me as if you've become a joyless sports "follower" as opposed to fan. When your team wins it's expected, there's little or no pleasure derived from it, because they're just doing what they're supposed to do. The only satisfaction that can ever be found is the delivery of a championship.

If you're being paid to coach the team, be it's star player, or it's architect then that's probably the attitude you should take. But otherwise I think maybe we need to reexamine our priorities at times and figure out why we're sports fans?

If you're getting more misery than pleasure out of what's supposed to be a source of leisure and entertainment then is it really worth having in your life, or at least occupying such a significant portion of it?

I'm only that way with the Penguins, because a considerable amount of talent is being flushed down the toilet thanks to terrible coaching, a laissez-faire attitude among the coaches and players, and a poor organizational philosophy on what it takes to win championships. I'm not this way with the Steelers or, now, the Pirates. In fact, the Pirates truly are a pleasure to watch, because that team gives you an honest effort every single game. I don't care if they don't win a championship, as long as they play hard and stay competitive. I'd complain a LOT less about the Penguins if they played with that same kind of intensity and determination, because if you put it together with their talent, they would be extremely difficult to beat.

vader29
04-06-2014, 01:34 PM
What gets me is that they play a great game defensively and then follow that up in the next game by shitting the bed looking like a minor league team, and I too blame that on the coaching staff and management and their country club attitude, that has to change if they ever expect to win another cup.

salamander
04-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Crosby, Kunitz, Orpik and Mattaa are all out tonight by the way. Pens up 1-0 in the 2nd.

zulater
04-06-2014, 08:30 PM
I'm only that way with the Penguins, because a considerable amount of talent is being flushed down the toilet thanks to terrible coaching, a laissez-faire attitude among the coaches and players, and a poor organizational philosophy on what it takes to win championships. I'm not this way with the Steelers or, now, the Pirates. In fact, the Pirates truly are a pleasure to watch, because that team gives you an honest effort every single game. I don't care if they don't win a championship, as long as they play hard and stay competitive. I'd complain a LOT less about the Penguins if they played with that same kind of intensity and determination, because if you put it together with their talent, they would be extremely difficult to beat.

This goes back to Mario in my opinion. Mario wasn't big on overbearing coaches when he played, and he seems to be of the same mindset as a CEO. Let the stars play and things will work themselves out seems to be the way of the Penguin since they chased Scotty Bowman, and then Micheal Therrian off the bench.

X-Terminator
04-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Pens leading the Avs 2-1 in the 3rd. If they win this game with all of those players out of the lineup, even I will be impressed.

EDIT: Avs tie it up, game is now in OT.

EDIT #2: Pens win 3-2 in a SO. Yep, I'm impressed.

salamander
04-07-2014, 12:11 AM
Wait, so the AHLers showed more heart and grit than the regular guys? Definitely not surprised by that whatsoever.

salamander
04-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Penguins Roundup: Vokoun, Malkin Updates

Penguins goaltender Tomas Vokoun will be re-assigned on a conditioning stint to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League starting Wednesday, coach Dan Bylsma announced following Tuesday’s practice at Southpointe.

Vokoun, 37, has not played this season after undergoing surgery to dissolve a blood clot on Sept. 21. He was on blood thinners immediately following his surgery.

Vokoun was taken off the blood thinners in mid-January and skated for the first time in four months on Jan. 22. Vokoun began taking shots for the first time Jan. 28, returned to full team practice on Feb. 19 and has been skating with the teamever since.

“In his effort to get back, he has increased his intensity level in practice,” Bylsma said. “He does have some body soreness, he does have some things he’s dealing with. But at this point in time, we have to see if he can do it. He’ll get that opportunity in Wilkes-Barre this weekend.”

WBS’ schedule this weekend is as follows: Friday, April 11 at Syracuse; Saturday, April 12 vs. Binghamton; and Sunday, April 13 vs. Toronto. Bylsma did not specify which game(s) Vokoun will play.

Vokoun played 20 regular season games for the Penguins last season, going 13-4 with a 2.45 goals-against average. He appeared in 11 playoff games and was 6-5 with a 2.10 GAA.

more: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=713435&navid=DL|PIT|home

I'll finally be able to (hopefully) chant KOOOOUUUNNNN in person. :chuckle:

salamander
04-09-2014, 09:49 AM
The Pens announced that Kris Letang will return to the lineup tonight.

X-Terminator
04-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Well, that just came out of the clear blue sky. I certainly did not expect Letang to play again this season. I hope he and the Pens know what they're doing - I don't want a repeat of the Rich Peverley incident.

zulater
04-10-2014, 01:46 AM
The worst thing that ever happened to the Pens is the shootout. The fact they excel at shootouts gives them a false sense of worth.

salamander
04-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Tomas Vokoun won his first outing with the WBS Pens in a shoot out tonight. The Baby Pens won 3-2 and they clinched their 12th consecutive trip to the AHL playoffs (if I remember correctly.)

Edit: I lied. WBS needs a point tomorrow night to clinch a playoff spot.

X-Terminator
04-11-2014, 09:37 PM
The worst thing that ever happened to the Pens is the shootout. The fact they excel at shootouts gives them a false sense of worth.

The New Jersey Devils dislike this post.

0-13 this season in the shootout. That may be the single biggest reason why they will not make the playoffs.

salamander
04-12-2014, 09:14 PM
The WBS Pens officially clinched their 12th consecutive trip to the AHL playoffs tonight.

X-Terminator
04-12-2014, 09:22 PM
The WBS Pens officially clinched their 12th consecutive trip to the AHL playoffs tonight.

Congrats! Too bad their leading scorer is still in Pittsburgh.

Anyway, Flyers win, Blue Jackets win, Canadiens win, so the matchups are set in the East: Pens vs. Jackets, Bruins vs. Wings, Rangers vs. Flyers and Canadiens vs. Lightning.

salamander
04-12-2014, 11:48 PM
Congrats! Too bad their leading scorer is still in Pittsburgh.

Anyway, Flyers win, Blue Jackets win, Canadiens win, so the matchups are set in the East: Pens vs. Jackets, Bruins vs. Wings, Rangers vs. Flyers and Canadiens vs. Lightning.

Tom Kostopolous is our leading scorer this season and is safe and sound right here in Wilkes-Barre.

I also forgot to mention that since being sent to WBS, Chuck Kobesew has double digit goals scored.

X-Terminator
04-12-2014, 11:52 PM
Tom Kostopolous is our leading scorer this season and is safe and sound right here in Wilkes-Barre.

I also forgot to mention that since being sent to WBS, Chuck Kobesew has double digit goals scored.

He's only the leading scorer because Brian Gibbons has been in Pittsburgh half the season. And it really says a lot about how few goals they score, not to mention the lack of a top-notch forward prospect, when Tom Kostopoulos is the team's leading scorer.

salamander
04-13-2014, 12:03 AM
He's only the leading scorer because Brian Gibbons has been in Pittsburgh half the season. And it really says a lot about how few goals they score, not to mention the lack of a top-notch forward prospect, when Tom Kostopoulos is the team's leading scorer.

You're right, I forgot about Gibby. TK is the only skater on our team who has more than 20 goals this season with 21 goals. You're right - that isn't saying much. Goaltending & defense is what gets us to 90+ points in the standings every year.

86WARD
04-13-2014, 08:59 AM
Pens might be in trouble if the Flyers get past the Rangers...lol. Could be a big IF...

salamander
04-13-2014, 12:10 PM
Pens might be in trouble if the Flyers get past the Rangers...lol. Could be a big IF...

I fully expect the Blue Jackets to give the Pens trouble in the first round, let alone worrying about the Flyers. They've been playing well lately and we all know how the Pens have been in the post season.

X-Terminator
04-13-2014, 01:00 PM

I was hoping they'd play them in the first round, so that they'd eliminate the Pens and hopefully being long-overdue changes to the organization. Now, it wouldn't matter, because even if they beat the Blue Jackets and lose in the second round, it's justification for them to keep the status quo again.

Fuck.

Count Steeler
04-13-2014, 09:30 PM
I was hoping they'd play them in the first round, so that they'd eliminate the Pens and hopefully being long-overdue changes to the organization. Now, it wouldn't matter, because even if they beat the Blue Jackets and lose in the second round, it's justification for them to keep the status quo again.

Fuck.

Not if the Flyers embarrass them in the second. I'm hoping the Jackets give them a tough go.

stillers4me
04-16-2014, 09:19 PM
Pens win game 1!!!

Edman
04-16-2014, 09:33 PM
Penguins Flub to a 4-3 victory in Game 1 over the Jackets.

Yep, postseason form for the Penguins.

X-Terminator
04-16-2014, 10:47 PM
Penguins Flub to a 4-3 victory in Game 1 over the Jackets.

Yep, postseason form for the Penguins.

I could only listen to it since I'm working, but no, it was not a good game. Typical sloppy and undisciplined play. And just what in the blue hell was Letang thinking when he flubbed that puck and gave up a SHG? He is the classic description of a million-dollar talent with a ten-cent brain. Good job by Dan to pull his sorry ass off the top PP unit in favor of Niskanen.

They had better come up with a better effort than that on Saturday. The Jackets will be getting Foligno and Umberger back, and you know the team will be coming on strong.

salamander
04-17-2014, 10:15 AM
The Jackets are definitely going to push the Pens to the brink. So long as Bylsma is here you're going to continue to see the same old, undisciplined crap we've come to expect in the playoffs.

Edman
04-19-2014, 08:58 PM
Penguins blow a 3-1 lead. Game 2 is tied at 3 and going into OT.

salamander
04-19-2014, 09:31 PM
Going into 2nd OT now.

Edman
04-19-2014, 09:48 PM
Columbus scores GW Goal. Going to Columbus Tied.

Yep, typical postseason Penguins.

X-Terminator
04-19-2014, 09:58 PM
3 more losses, and Bylsma's tenure in Pittsburgh comes to an end. Come on, Columbus!

And if I hear one more person sing Letang's praises after tonight, they're getting punched in the face.

Edman
04-19-2014, 10:04 PM
The Jackets are definitely going to push the Pens to the brink. So long as Bylsma is here you're going to continue to see the same old, undisciplined crap we've come to expect in the playoffs.

Sadly, it looks like you're right.

Columbus may not be all that talented compared to the Pens, but they have the three H's. Hitting, Hustle, and Heart. They've been out hitting and outhustling the Penguins, with more of it tonight.

The other sad fact is that this is what we all expected.

salamander
04-19-2014, 10:25 PM
3 more losses, and Bylsma's tenure in Pittsburgh comes to an end. Come on, Columbus!

And if I hear one more person sing Letang's praises after tonight, they're getting punched in the face.

I heard "Letang with another turnover" multiple times tonight.

zulater
04-20-2014, 01:57 PM
I think the Pens will end up winning this series. But that's more about who they're playing than who they are. Outside of the Blue Jackets I don't think there's another team in the NHL playoffs the Penguins could take as many as two games from in a best of seven series. And it's not a lack of talent, it's a lack of discipline. You can't leave a team run free of discipline and structure for 5 seasons and then think it can be fixed in the playoffs. Blysma's has ruined Letang, and is doing the same to Crosby, Neal, and Malkin who have all become turnover machines, as likely to commit a crucial gaffe than make a positive game changing play. And ultimately I blame Mario, who didn't like a tough task master type of a coach as a player, and has continued on with that policy as a CEO. How many more Cups might have the Pens won in the 90's if Mario hadn't chased Scotty Bowman out the door, so he could instill everyone's favorite lap dog Grandpa Munster ( Eddie Johnson) as the coach? Meanwhile Bowman goes on and wins 3 more Cups as the Red Wings coach.

Anyway as we've all known for some time all hope is lost until Blysma is not only fired, but replaced with a coach who is willing to stand up to the stars on this team and put them in their proper place both on the ice and in the overall structure of the team.

X-Terminator
04-20-2014, 06:09 PM
I think the Pens will end up winning this series. But that's more about who they're playing than who they are. Outside of the Blue Jackets I don't think there's another team in the NHL playoffs the Penguins could take as many as two games from in a best of seven series. And it's not a lack of talent, it's a lack of discipline. You can't leave a team run free of discipline and structure for 5 seasons and then think it can be fixed in the playoffs. Blysma's has ruined Letang, and is doing the same to Crosby, Neal, and Malkin who have all become turnover machines, as likely to commit a crucial gaffe than make a positive game changing play. And ultimately I blame Mario, who didn't like a tough task master type of a coach as a player, and has continued on with that policy as a CEO. How many more Cups might have the Pens won in the 90's if Mario hadn't chased Scotty Bowman out the door, so he could instill everyone's favorite lap dog Grandpa Munster ( Eddie Johnson) as the coach? Meanwhile Bowman goes on and wins 3 more Cups as the Red Wings coach.

Anyway as we've all known for some time all hope is lost until Blysma is not only fired, but replaced with a coach who is willing to stand up to the stars on this team and put them in their proper place both on the ice and in the overall structure of the team.

Right on.

Barry Trotz is available after 15 seasons in Nashville. Think he wouldn't love a chance to coach a team with this kind of top-end talent, something he never had during his entire tenure with the Preds? He isn't a taskmaster in the mold of Bowman or Therrien, but I highly doubt he'd put up with the lack of discipline that the Pens repeatedly display.

X-Terminator
04-21-2014, 01:11 PM
"Defense" under Dan Bylsma:

https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/v/t35.0-12/10269948_10101406743661447_543649717_o.jpg?oh=80d4 3a9f39892e5461b70b413c8609d1&oe=535704F1

vader29
04-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Their nonexistant defense is just sickening to watch at times. Scuderi has been a major disappointment in his return and Orpik has been bad for the last two seasons. The only good thing to come out of an early playoff exit will be if Bylsma gets canned although I still don't see how he survived after last years complete failure against the Bruins and his colossal misuse of Iginla.

salamander
04-21-2014, 06:32 PM
Fuck this. No passion, no discipline. Just end the misery.

zulater
04-21-2014, 06:57 PM
If the Penguins were an old time race horse, we already would have shot them.

Count Steeler
04-21-2014, 07:41 PM
Mario should really shock the hockey world and can Danny boy tonight.

salamander
04-21-2014, 08:47 PM
Pens win. They got lucky...again.

X-Terminator
04-21-2014, 10:48 PM
Unbelievable. They play like shit the entire game, and then in one 2 and a half minute stretch, they take the game away from the Jackets that they had absolutely no business winning. On the flip side, that is the kind of loss that can devastate a team, so we'll see how the Jackets respond on Wednesday.

The Pens may just win this series after all, thereby guaranteeing that Overrated Dan stays in Pittsburgh. SMH... :doh:

SteelMember
04-22-2014, 09:27 AM
I don't know what caught their asses on fire in the 3rd, but it was something to watch. They were really buzzing after the Sutter goal.

The energy and speed was definitely up more than the last game where they looked slow and plodding. They still seemed to let the Jackets go straight through the middle of the neutral zone instead of squeezing to the boards. Watching them go right at the goal all night was a little frustrating to watch, but a win none-the-less.

Many of tonight's goals were just prime examples of "get the puck to the net"... for both sides. Pucks off arms, legs, hips, defensemen. Pretty or not, they all count the same.

salamander
04-22-2014, 11:12 AM
Considering Crosby and Malkin disappear in the playoffs we need all the "not so pretty" goals we can get.

zulater
04-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Unbelievable. They play like shit the entire game, and then in one 2 and a half minute stretch, they take the game away from the Jackets that they had absolutely no business winning. On the flip side, that is the kind of loss that can devastate a team, so we'll see how the Jackets respond on Wednesday.

The Pens may just win this series after all, thereby guaranteeing that Overrated Dan stays in Pittsburgh. SMH... :doh:

Not necessarily. If they get annihilated in the 2nd round I think he'll be fired. And I can't envision any second round match-up where they'd win more than a game.

X-Terminator
04-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Not necessarily. If they get annihilated in the 2nd round I think he'll be fired. And I can't envision any second round match-up where they'd win more than a game.

I hope you're right, but I can't see it. The FO will just say they won a round and the team was trying to come together after all of the injuries this season, and use that as an excuse to keep him.

SteelMember
04-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Considering Crosby and Malkin disappear in the playoffs we need all the "not so pretty" goals we can get.

Yeah. I don't get that. They did the same last year. All I hear is "Crosby's not falling for that this year". Being baited, I guess... but what's the big difference if he's still not producing? Maybe he needs to get more fired up at the opponents. idk. So far, neither approach is working.

Gibbons was the fire in the first game. He's goes out in #2... we fall flat. Orpik and Sutter get some emotion going on the bench the 3rd... we'll see if they just try to ride that as usual, or come out firing next game.

SteelMember
04-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Well, Neal just scores to make it 3 zip in the 1st.

salamander
04-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Well, Neal just scores to make it 3 zip in the 1st.

Given how this series has gone, I'm not satisfied yet.

X-Terminator
04-23-2014, 07:06 PM
Given how this series has gone, I'm not satisfied yet.

And right after you typed this, the Jackets made it 3-1, which means they now have the Pens right where they want them.

salamander
04-23-2014, 07:09 PM
And right after you typed this, the Jackets made it 3-1, which means they now have the Pens right where they want them.

I jinxed them. :doh:

salamander
04-23-2014, 07:37 PM
3-2. Here we go again.

Edman
04-23-2014, 07:37 PM
And now it's 3-2.

Good, Good. We're doing this all over again. Who says the Pens aren't consistent?

SteelMember
04-23-2014, 07:51 PM
And the undisciplined pens come out in the 2nd for 5 straight penalties. nice. I hope the 1st period team shows back up. Sheesh.

Edman
04-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Now we have a tie game because the Defense collapses in the final minutes! Excellent! Because I'm not tired of this yet!

Going into Overtime tied at 3...Again!

stillers4me
04-23-2014, 08:44 PM
My head is going to explode.

Edman
04-23-2014, 08:46 PM
Outshot 31-13 in the Second and Third Periods combined. Marc-Andre Goofball was caught with his pants down out of position and gives up the last goal.

Someone, anyone takes turns screwing up each and every night.

No Killer Instinct whatsoever.

X-Terminator
04-23-2014, 08:57 PM
Only the Pens can find a way to blow a 3-0 lead. I'm sorry, but they deserve to lose this game and eventually the series. This is ridiculous.

salamander
04-23-2014, 08:57 PM
Fleury is a fucking dumbass.

SteelMember
04-23-2014, 09:04 PM
Guess 3 goal leads arent safe either. Bonehead play by flower.

salamander
04-23-2014, 09:04 PM
Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

SteelMember
04-23-2014, 09:07 PM
Need a milk carton posting for Crosby and Malkin... Hello, have you seen me?

stillers4me
04-23-2014, 09:07 PM
#unpuckingbelievable

salamander
04-23-2014, 09:10 PM
I place the blame for this on Fleury. He was solid all night then shits himself with 20 freaking seconds left.

stillers4me
04-23-2014, 09:28 PM
I place the blame for this on Fleury. He was solid all night then shits himself with 20 freaking seconds left.

All the stupid penalties........

zulater
04-23-2014, 09:31 PM
If Mario had any brains he'd fire Blysma tonight. I don't give a fuck if he puts Iceberg behind the bench, he couldn't be any worse. Team totally unprepared. No discipline, no understanding of team hockey. Bunch of fucking losers! :frusty:

X-Terminator
04-23-2014, 09:33 PM
I'm about to get solidly behind the Blue Jackets to win this series, because it's time for this circus in Pittsburgh to be blown up for good. I have had more than enough of this bullshit.

zulater
04-23-2014, 09:35 PM

Fleury does that move all the time. You know why? Because he's allowed to. It's a fucking country club. They all do as they please. No other coach in the league could will the Pens talent to lose to the Blue Jackets. But they're not a team. Just a bunch of guys in the same uniform.

Look at what Therrien is doing in Montreal. Michel can coach circles around Disco Dan. Too bad he wont get his chance because this bunch of losers is destined for another first round exit.

salamander
04-23-2014, 10:02 PM
I understand there is a lot more blame to go around. The lack of defense. The penalties. The absence of our star players. The lack of a competent coach (you get it) but all they had to do was hang on for 22 seconds....22 fucking seconds....and they couldn't do it. As I said earlier in the thread, I fully expected the Jackets to push the Pens to the brink and that's exactly what's happening.

zulater
04-23-2014, 10:11 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bl89ft7IUAAyket.jpg

vader29
04-23-2014, 10:15 PM
What we need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agL3NHgb8Rk

What we will get is Bylsma giving the team the team two days off, no need to practice anything.

MrPgh
04-23-2014, 10:46 PM
They really made a huge mistake in bringing Bylsma back. They guy is past his sell-by date. It's time to move on.

vader29
04-23-2014, 10:47 PM

vader29
04-24-2014, 12:00 AM
:frusty:

X-Terminator
04-24-2014, 12:28 AM
Which, of course, should shock no one.

salamander
04-24-2014, 06:19 AM
And that is why I'm praying that the Jackets take this series. Bylsma has no freaking clue what the hell he's doing.

venom
04-24-2014, 12:34 PM
Now for a video break before the next game -----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjhzPXzdZ44

MrPgh
04-24-2014, 08:29 PM
So earlier today Bylsma called out the players, specifically Crosby, Malkin, and Fleury, saying better is expected from them. Then Bylsma went on to say practice was cancelled for today. Because you know, calling out the team then giving them the day off makes a lot of sense and really sends a message. :rolleyes:

It just can't be said enough: they should have fired Bylsma last summer.

salamander
04-25-2014, 01:12 PM
The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins think that social media is so cool that they are including a hashtag in their center ice logo as they begin their quest for the 2014 Calder Cup.

The Penguins have adopted a 'Gold Rush' theme for the postseason and are encouraging their fans to wear gold to all home contests (the team is planning on wearing their gold-based 2013-14 alternate jerseys during home games as well).

To go along with the theme, the team has come up with a special playoff logo which incorporates the hashtag #DigDeep. The Penguins are encouraging fans to use the hashtag in all of their social media posts and, in an effort to embrace the phrase even further, the team has installed the logo and hashtag at center ice for the duration of its playoff run.

We're not 100% sure, but this could be the first time a professional hockey team has featured a hashtag so prominently in their rink.

Thanks to First Keystone Community Bank and Eyewitness News for helping to make the new center ice logo a possibility.

#DigDeep #LetsGoPens

link: http://www.wbspenguins.com/articles/social-media-is-cool#

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Bu7Z1L_mauE/U1lUyK7szJI/AAAAAAAAAdE/1VrNS_2Ct2Q/s1600/IMG_1646.JPG

Steelerette
04-26-2014, 07:04 PM
Watching this game. It's pathetic. Bylsma has to go.

salamander
04-26-2014, 07:23 PM
You know it's bad when Pens fans start booing Crosby.

zulater
04-26-2014, 08:55 PM
They finally looked like the better team tonight. Better late than never

salamander
04-26-2014, 09:06 PM
Don't worry, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton took the job of blowing a 3-1 lead tonight and lost to the Binghamton Senators 4-3 in OT. That series is tied 1-1.

Edman
04-26-2014, 09:53 PM
The Penguins finally played above the level of the Blue Jackets.

Unfortunately, it only means the mediocre inconsistency under Bylsma will continue.

Steelerette
04-26-2014, 10:30 PM
They only looked like the better team for the second half of the game. And even then... outside a few nifty plays they kind of struggled to keep an attack together. Bobrovsky was spectacular too.

SteelMember
04-28-2014, 06:57 PM
And there's been a Malkin sighting....

stillers4me
04-28-2014, 07:36 PM
I guess Geno was saving them for tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stillers4me
04-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Exhale. Fleury stayed in the net.

SteelMember
04-28-2014, 08:54 PM
And there's the shaky finish we've come to know. They really looked like they didn't want to score again after number 4.

stillers4me
04-28-2014, 09:01 PM
https://twitter.com/dejan_kovacevic/status/460961577634504705

Steelerette
04-28-2014, 10:21 PM
Steelers, Penguins, we can never play a full 60 minutes. This is the torment of Pittsburgh Sports Fans.

X-Terminator
04-28-2014, 11:04 PM
Congratulations Dan, your job is safe...which is not good news for Pens fans.

Come on, no matter what happens in round 2, there's absolutely no way he gets canned, nor will there be a shake-up of the team and organization. Columbus could have done us all a favor, but nah. Oh well, hope their short game is good.

salamander
04-29-2014, 12:12 AM
I'm willing to bet that we get past the 2nd round only to get swept by the Bruins again in the conference final, just like last year.

X-Terminator
04-29-2014, 12:43 AM
I'm willing to bet that we get past the 2nd round only to get swept by the Bruins again in the conference final, just like last year.

Or Montreal.

Honestly, I don't see them making it past round 2. The only difference will be the length of the series. If it's the Rangers, they lose in 7. If it's the Flyers, they get swept.

oneforthetoe
04-29-2014, 11:09 AM
I figured they would beat the Jackets eventually. I actually think the Pens can beat the Rangers. That is hardly a prediction but I can see it happening. That will probably as far as they go. If it is Philly then plan for next year. I share some of the frustrating with the way Bylsma's teams play, but I just can't root for the pens to lose. Still hoping for a better effort nightly.

salamander
04-29-2014, 12:02 PM
No doubt in my mind that if Pittsburgh has to play the Flyers, the Pens will be going golfing soon thereafter.

SteelMember
04-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Its the Rangers. Should be interesting.

X-Terminator
04-30-2014, 09:03 PM
So how long before venom chimes in with the smack talk? ;)

Rangers in 6. The Pens proved nothing by barely beating Columbus.

salamander
04-30-2014, 09:51 PM
The Baby Pens won tonight in overtime and now hold a 2-1 series lead in the best-of-5 series against the Binghamton Senators in the opening round of the AHL playoffs. All three games this series have gone to OT.

vader29
04-30-2014, 10:45 PM
http://s23.postimg.org/g6mn4egez/Bmg6wkh_IAAA_Jk5.jpg

oneforthetoe
05-01-2014, 12:04 AM
I am going to say Pens in 7. I didn't watch all of the Flyers/ Rags series, but it didn't look like Lunquist was exactly unbeatable.

X-Terminator
05-01-2014, 12:30 AM
http://s23.postimg.org/g6mn4egez/Bmg6wkh_IAAA_Jk5.jpg

It's an annual rite of spring!

Philadelphia Flyers: Losers since 1975! :heh:

venom
05-01-2014, 06:06 AM
So how long before venom chimes in with the smack talk? ;)

Rangers in 6. The Pens proved nothing by barely beating Columbus.

3...2....1.... NOW !!!

http://static1.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1774917.1398911379!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/index_635_390/rangers-flyers-garden.jpg

For the Rangers to win the series , they must stay out the penalty box . Pens will crush them on the PP . Also , the Rangers PP has been awful . Let the best team win !!!!

Lets Go Rangers !!!

salamander
05-01-2014, 01:09 PM
I'm guessing this was John Tortorella's response to being fired from the Canucks.

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10167986_642263685848121_6546306931314050863_n.jpg

:chuckle:

X-Terminator
05-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Yeah, pretty much :lol:

He might have a tough time finding another job, because he wore out his welcome so fast that rumor has it he was going to be fired even if they made the playoffs.

salamander
05-01-2014, 11:48 PM
Tort's an asshole, plain and simple.

SteelMember
05-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Collier has the same call (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/gene-collier/2014/05/02/Gene-Collier-Penguins-Rangers-meet-at-the-gap/stories/201405020054) as XT... I hope Sutter is going to play. We'll need him to even keep this close.

X-Terminator
05-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Collier has the same call (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/gene-collier/2014/05/02/Gene-Collier-Penguins-Rangers-meet-at-the-gap/stories/201405020054) as XT... I hope Sutter is going to play. We'll need him to even keep this close.

Both Sutter and Vitale practiced on Wednesday and yesterday, and are good to go for tonight.

venom
05-02-2014, 01:08 PM
Good Luck and let the best team win - talk on Monday !!!

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/097/1/f/new_york_rangers_clinch_playoffs_2_by_redzonefresh-d7dkkha.png

vader29
05-02-2014, 01:45 PM
For the Pens to have any chance against the Rangers they need Geno to pick up where he left off last game and also Sid to break out of his playoff goal scoring slump.

http://i58.tinypic.com/149toch.jpg

zulater
05-02-2014, 06:45 PM
I'll predict the Rangers in five. Crosby is playing like shit. Looks like he's allergic to the puck or something. It's early so maybe he'll get it together sooner or later? But regardless, the Penguins just don't play playoff hockey. Hopefully if they get thoroughly embarrassed by the Rangers Disco Dan will be fired.

Steelerette
05-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Great to see the Pens playing focused hockey...

I'm not sure what's worse, TOmlin having the Steelers ready for the season opener, or Bylsma having the Pens ready for the playoffs.

It's good to see these NBC commentators trashing our fundamentals instead of Fleury. Fleury does frustrate me every once in a while but what the hell kind of help does he get?

zulater
05-02-2014, 09:04 PM
This was the game the Penguins had to win. The Rangers just played their 3rd game in 4 nights in three different cities. The fatigue factor was so much in the Penguins favor that they had to gain strength as the game wore on. But didn't happen. They lost. This is not a good team.

Steelerette
05-02-2014, 09:10 PM
True. But the refs basically giving the Rangers a goal on that bogus call... didn't help.

Still this isn't a team that deserves to go deep into the playoffs.

Edman
05-02-2014, 09:57 PM
The Penguins should've lost the last series.

They won't be so lucky this time.

zulater
05-02-2014, 10:04 PM
The Penguins should've lost the last series.

They won't be so lucky this time.

Based on what? They were better than Columbus. Probably aren't better than the Rangers though. .

X-Terminator
05-02-2014, 10:08 PM
It's a good thing I'm off work next week. That way, I can mostly avoid even thinking about the Pens. I've pretty much tuned them out...not even going to bother watching or listening to the games. I don't even care about them enough to say something negative. The only way I'm going to know whether they win or lose is by reading this thread.

Unfortunately though, zulater, that first-round win guaranteed that Bylsma stays. I know I've said it before, but that's how it's going to be. And if Mario doesn't give a shit about winning Cups, then why should I put forth any effort into rooting for or against them?

They are still my team...always will be. But I really don't like them right now.

salamander
05-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Don't worry, guys. There's always the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and the Wheeling Nailers to cheer for in the Calder Cup and Kelly Cup playoffs, respectively. At least Pittsburgh's minor league teams play with some heart.

X-Terminator
05-04-2014, 02:38 AM
Don't worry, guys. There's always the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and the Wheeling Nailers to cheer for in the Calder Cup and Kelly Cup playoffs, respectively. At least Pittsburgh's minor league teams play with some heart.

Yeah, too bad I can't watch any of their games here. The Penguins have completely sucked any enthusiasm or passion I've had, right out of my body. They are totally unwatchable as far as I'm concerned. The Pirates may not be playing good baseball over the last month, but I'd still rather watch them play any day, because at least I know they are going to work hard and give an honest effort every night, win or lose.

salamander
05-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Yeah, too bad I can't watch any of their games here. The Penguins have completely sucked any enthusiasm or passion I've had, right out of my body. They are totally unwatchable as far as I'm concerned. The Pirates may not be playing good baseball over the last month, but I'd still rather watch them play any day, because at least I know they are going to work hard and give an honest effort every night, win or lose.

Honestly, even here the only way to see a WBS Pens game is usually online. So if you ever seriously want to catch a game, its a couple bucks on ahllive.com.

vader29
05-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Solid game from start to finish tonight for the Pens in a 3-0 win, off to New York tomorrow!

zulater
05-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Best game they've played all year. Best single game playoff performance since they won the Cup. Letang was my star of the game.

stillers4me
05-04-2014, 09:39 PM
Tanger and Flower....whodathunk!

venom
05-05-2014, 05:52 AM
I sure wish my team had a Power Play Unit

lilyoder6
05-05-2014, 12:55 PM
im glad they won last night.. so their wasn't a possibility of getting swept since i am going to da garden for game 4

venom
05-05-2014, 01:19 PM
im glad they won last night.. so their wasn't a possibility of getting swept since i am going to da garden for game 4

Ill be there tonight also - Section 117 !!

Lets Go Rangers !!

Polamalu Princess
05-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Let's go Pens!!!

Dodt
05-05-2014, 08:28 PM
the kid scores (took him long enought ).

stillers4me
05-05-2014, 08:34 PM

Dodt
05-05-2014, 09:11 PM
back 2 back shut out by fleury.http://img.fark.net/images/cache/850/s/sP/fark_sPJE_Yh455eaGYzNHkRnscA0QJ4.jpg?t=cWmxGZEa9w0 pEmvrtzmTxg&f=1399867200

zulater
05-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Letang has been great the last two games too.

vader29
05-05-2014, 11:02 PM
If they keep playing this well then they'll never fire Bylsma. :chuckle:

oneforthetoe
05-05-2014, 11:38 PM
If Fleury keeps playing like this the Pens could win in 6 and have a shot in the next round.

salamander
05-05-2014, 11:53 PM
If Fleury keeps playing like this the Pens could win in 6 and have a shot in the next round.

Only to get swept by Boston or Montreal. :heh:

:peep:

oneforthetoe
05-06-2014, 12:52 AM
Only to get swept by Boston or Montreal. :heh:

:peep:

If he plays like he has the last two games they won't be swept by anyone.

stillers4me
05-06-2014, 05:29 AM
The only thing that bothers me are the bonehead penalties. Boston would be up 4-0 before the first period is over.

venom
05-06-2014, 06:33 AM
I cant believe that the Rangers give up a total of 15 shots on goal ( 1 in the 3rd period ) and lose . Every team will take those shots against them any day. If they can get a PP goal here and there , they would win easy. Rangers beating themselves here

lilyoder6
05-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Ill be there tonight also - Section 117 !!

Lets Go Rangers !!

nice.. their will be 5 of us. we are leaving tonight around 1 am or so after work and driving up.. I have no clue where we are sitting, we had an inside man get us some tickets and he didn't even know where they be.. but we just have to pick them up at will call

X-Terminator
05-06-2014, 10:34 AM
I cant believe that the Rangers give up a total of 15 shots on goal ( 1 in the 3rd period ) and lose . Every team will take those shots against them any day. If they can get a PP goal here and there , they would win easy. Rangers beating themselves here

At least you can admit this. Some of your fellow Rangers fans...well, let's just say they whine as much as they think Crosby does.

SteelMember
05-06-2014, 11:51 AM
The only thing that bothers me are the bonehead penalties. Boston would be up 4-0 before the first period is over.

^This. The penalty kill has saved them, but they can't keep putting unneeded pressure it. The defense finally looks decent at even strength. Don't go a man down for bs retaliation. Fleury had to affectionately rub the crossbar on more than one occasion.

- - - Updated - - -

If they keep playing this well then they'll never fire Bylsma. :chuckle:

LMFAO!

steelerdude15
05-06-2014, 07:42 PM
The past two games have been great to see. I hope that the Pens will be able to keep playing at this high, dominate level like the past two games. If they play like that, they will advance into the Eastern Conference Final.

venom
05-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Last 3 30+ power play droughts in NHL playoffs: '07 Ducks 0-36, '11 Bruins 0-30, '12 Kings 0-30 - all 3 won the Cup ! I guess my Rangers have you guys right where they want you , lol .

Lets Go Rangers !!!!!

vader29
05-07-2014, 03:00 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/25gqejs.jpg

vader29
05-07-2014, 08:26 PM
:lol:

SteelMember
05-07-2014, 09:31 PM
I'm score more goal!

steelerdude15
05-08-2014, 09:18 PM
One more win and they're in the Eastern Conference Finals for the second straight year. It would be great if the Pens can win on home ice in front of our crowd. I think the Rangers will come out firing and will not make this game easy, but I think the Pens will finish this series with a win tomorrow. Lets go Pens!