PDA

View Full Version : Who will be starting in Larry Foote's vacant ILB spot?

Psycho Ward 86
09-09-2013, 04:38 PM
any word? vince williams and kion wilson cant seriously be our best options.

And also, is sean spence on PUP?

vader29
09-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Steelers website shows Spence as the only player on the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform list.

tube517
09-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Bryan Hinkle and David Little are being called right now

ALLD
09-09-2013, 06:10 PM
We are so short of players we can't even got to a 2-4.

Master Blaster
09-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Kion Wilson looks to be the guy to replace Larry.

Craic
09-09-2013, 06:25 PM
That is a good question. It seems as thought that position isn't one that we want a stud LB at but rather, a wily old veteran type LB. They are the ones that seem to play the best there. Are there any that we could pick up? ONly problem is that the position is a key LB/DL playcaller. IIRC

Master Blaster
09-09-2013, 06:30 PM
That is a good question. It seems as thought that position isn't one that we want a stud LB at but rather, a wily old veteran type LB. They are the ones that seem to play the best there. Are there any that we could pick up? ONly problem is that the position is a key LB/DL playcaller. IIRC
They won't go outside to find a replacement because they don't need to. Go to the Steelers official site and listen to Timmons' interview. In it you will hear Theresa Varley elude to Kion Wilson as being Foote's replacement. You will also hear Timmons say that he is capable of calling the plays.

Seven
09-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Kion Wilson should be the guy. If he has his head wrapped around our schemes well enough, he'll probably play better than Foote. He showed some good ability this summer. And I believe he does have a decent amount of playing time under his belt from his days with the Chargers.

ALLD
09-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Maybe Cotchery will play both sides?

steel9guy
09-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Personally I'd like to see Worilds moved inside and let Jarvis start.

86WARD
09-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Vince Williams has showed some promise...I wouldn't mind throwing him to the wolves to see what he's got.

Steeldude
09-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Personally I'd like to see Worilds moved inside and let Jarvis start.

I would rather see Worilds take Woodley's spot.

steeldawg
09-10-2013, 05:14 PM
I would rather not see worilds at all.

Steeldude
09-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Better than Woodley's absurd contract

LLT
09-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Kion Wilson will be the starting ILB with Vince Williams as the backup.

steelreserve
09-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Better than Woodley's absurd contract

We're kind of stuck eating that shit sandwich whether Woodley is physically on the team or not. We've restructured his deal so many times that I'd guess almost all of what's remaining would be dead money if we cut him.

Count Steeler
09-11-2013, 05:00 AM
We're kind of stuck eating that shit sandwich whether Woodley is physically on the team or not. We've restructured his deal so many times that I'd guess almost all of what's remaining would be dead money if we cut him.

And this is the primary factor of where we are today. I think I would have preferred a full rebuild or 2-3 years instead of this declining into a forced rebuild. The cap has not been friendly to us, but it has been the same for every team. Yes, they were expecting increases instead of a stagnant cap over the last 3 seasons. They rolled the dice and lost big time.

86WARD
09-11-2013, 06:13 AM
I would rather see Worilds take Woodley's spot.

Pffft...lol.

Psycho Ward 86
09-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Kion Wilson should be the guy. If he has his head wrapped around our schemes well enough, he'll probably play better than Foote. He showed some good ability this summer. And I believe he does have a decent amount of playing time under his belt from his days with the Chargers.

if that isnt hyperbolic overoptimism, i dont know what is. what has kion wilson ever done in his entire life that would make you think he'll play better than foote?

SteelerFanInStl
09-11-2013, 02:33 PM
I keep thinking back to us passing over Aurthur Brown in the last draft. I'd feel much better about this if we had a guy like him on our roster.

steelreserve
09-11-2013, 03:01 PM
I keep thinking back to us passing over Aurthur Brown in the last draft. I'd feel much better about this if we had a guy like him on our roster.

I keep thinking of both James Laurinaitis and Rey Maualuga being on the board when we drafted Ziggy Hood. Or for that matter, all the players at multiple positions still there when we made our WTF pick on Worilds the next year. I believe Navorro Bowman was one of them, although you can't really say that was an easy one to predict. I was about ready to overturn the table for what we passed up to get Hood, though.

Master Blaster
09-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Vince Williams has showed some promise...I wouldn't mind throwing him to the wolves to see what he's got.
In my opinion, Williams may turn out to be one of the best draft picks they made this off season.

steelreserve
09-11-2013, 04:58 PM

If there's any time to try that, it's now. The position we're in, we're not going to gain anything by sitting back and playing it safe. That leads straight toward missing the playoffs.

SteelerFanInStl
09-11-2013, 06:11 PM
I keep thinking of both James Laurinaitis and Rey Maualuga being on the board when we drafted Ziggy Hood. Or for that matter, all the players at multiple positions still there when we made our WTF pick on Worilds the next year. I believe Navorro Bowman was one of them, although you can't really say that was an easy one to predict. I was about ready to overturn the table for what we passed up to get Hood, though.

Add Sean Lee to that if we're going back a few years. I was just thinking of this past year when we had a definite need for an ILBer.

Seven
09-11-2013, 10:36 PM
if that isnt hyperbolic overoptimism, i dont know what is. what has kion wilson ever done in his entire life that would make you think he'll play better than foote?

He played well for San Diego before hurting his ankle a few years ago. Ron Rivera loved this guy before his injury set him back. He looked to be back in form this preseason. If he knows the playbook well, there is no reason he shouldn't play as well or better than Foote. He's younger, faster and hungry. How is suggesting he could play superior to Foote "hyperbolic overoptimism?" We're talking about Larry Foote here, not Luke Kuechly. He couldn't make a tackle or get off a block to save his life last week.

Psycho Ward 86
09-11-2013, 11:01 PM
He played well for San Diego before hurting his ankle a few years ago. Ron Rivera loved this guy before his injury set him back. He looked to be back in form this preseason. If he knows the playbook well, there is no reason he shouldn't play as well or better than Foote. He's younger, faster and hungry. How is suggesting he could play superior to Foote "hyperbolic overoptimism?" We're talking about Larry Foote here, not Luke Kuechly. He couldn't make a tackle or get off a block to save his life last week.

He's played a grand total of 9 games in the NFL. He's made a grand total of 8 tackles in the NFL in 3 years. And Mark Kaboly says he was brought on the team to play special teams. At least Foote has been a stalwart on a plethora of top defenses before. And has the know-how of what he's doing in our defense even if he doesnt quite perform

Shoes
09-11-2013, 11:09 PM
He's played a grand total of 9 games in the NFL. He's made a grand total of 8 tackles in the NFL in 3 years. And Mark Kaboly says he was brought on the team to play special teams. At least Foote has been a stalwart on a plethora of top defenses before. And has the know-how of what he's doing in our defense even if he doesnt quite perform

:chuckle:

Seven
09-11-2013, 11:13 PM

The same Mark Kabloy that couldn't report the running back lineup correctly in training camp? Great. That must be the case then. Lol. I'm not going to get into a debate over something based on what a writer said, but your point is taken. However, regardless of what he was brought to the team for, he won the backup ILB job beating out decent competition. Sly had been here forever and Brian Rolle isn't a slouch. Foote played poorly last season and played maybe the worst game I've ever seen a Steelers linebacker play last week. In context, saying Kion Wilson could play better than Larry Foote isn't all that big a statement. It certainly isn't "hyperbolic overoptimism." We have a young guy who has shown some promise stepping in for an old guy whose best seasons are far, far behind him. Again, I don't see how a scenario where Wilson plays better than Foote is outrageous as you initially seemed to suggest.

Psycho Ward 86
09-12-2013, 01:13 AM
The same Mark Kabloy that couldn't report the running back lineup correctly in training camp? Great. That must be the case then. Lol. I'm not going to get into a debate over something based on what a writer said, but your point is taken. However, regardless of what he was brought to the team for, he won the backup ILB job beating out decent competition. Sly had been here forever and Brian Rolle isn't a slouch. Foote played poorly last season and played maybe the worst game I've ever seen a Steelers linebacker play last week. In context, saying Kion Wilson could play better than Larry Foote isn't all that big a statement. It certainly isn't "hyperbolic overoptimism." We have a young guy who has shown some promise stepping in for an old guy whose best seasons are far, far behind him. Again, I don't see how a scenario where Wilson plays better than Foote is outrageous as you initially seemed to suggest.

thats my only reason for keeping my hopes. I was surprised to see him beat out Rolle, McFadden, and Baxter but that definitely says something to me. i sure hope youre right. otherwise i feel that he's a stopgap that we'll hopefully be able to protect from exploitation. We did a good job of that in 2011 when we really hit the Pats in the mouth (Sly filled in for Farrior)

Seven
09-12-2013, 01:31 AM
thats my only reason for keeping my hopes. I was surprised to see him beat out Rolle, McFadden, and Baxter but that definitely says something to me. i sure hope youre right. otherwise i feel that he's a stopgap that we'll hopefully be able to protect from exploitation. We did a good job of that in 2011 when we really hit the Pats in the mouth (Sly filled in for Farrior)

I hope so too. I think Baxter should have made the team over Carter. I guess we'll see how Wilson does. It'll be a long season if he doesn't play well. Williams looks promising but I don't really think he'd be ready yet. Sure wish Spence wasn't injured.

Psycho Ward 86
09-12-2013, 01:43 AM
I hope so too. I think Baxter should have made the team over Carter. I guess we'll see how Wilson does. It'll be a long season if he doesn't play well. Williams looks promising but I don't really think he'd be ready yet. Sure wish Spence wasn't injured.

now if spence can get healthy coming off the PUP list. things could get really interesting

Master Blaster
09-12-2013, 10:33 AM
I would rather not see worilds at all.
Based on what reasoning?