PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Steelers sign C/G Fernando Valesco

Shoes
09-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Tomlin appears comfortable with Beachum stepping into the lineup. “He did an admirable job under the circumstances,” Tomlin said.
Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/-topstories/4654544-74/offensive-pouncey-steelers#ixzz2ePyrbER9

I hope Tomlin's thoughts aren't to make Beachum the Center this season. We must find a real center or it will surely lead to Ben getting knocked out before mid season. Who is available? I heard Matt Birk say the had thoughts of returning if needed. Anyone?

zulater
09-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Beachum may be ok at center once he gets more reps in practice and learns the nuance of the position. But now we don't have anything close to resembling a third tackle and we have two injury prone tackles as starters. Also with Beachum as a center we lose the last month of practice where the team made it a point of emphasis to use Beachum as the 3rd tight end to help establish the edge in the running game. So now who replaces Beachum? Whimpy? :frusty: This season's going to hell in a handbasket in a hurry! :doh:

Dwinsgames
09-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Beachum may be ok at center once he gets more reps in practice and learns the nuance of the position. But now we don't have anything close to resembling a third tackle and we have two injury prone tackles as starters. Also with Beachum as a center we lose the last month of practice where the team made it a point of emphasis to use Beachum as the 3rd tight end to help establish the edge in the running game. So now who replaces Beachum? Whimpy? :frusty: This season's going to hell in a handbasket in a hurry! :doh:

this , EXACTLY no need to edit or change a word its spot on

Shoes
09-09-2013, 02:02 PM
I like Beachum, but there has to be a vet center out there we can pick up. My skin crawls every time I hear the word *Whimpy*

Mojouw
09-09-2013, 02:08 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5493/fernando-velasco

Looks like we signed a guy that grade out as Pro Football Focus's #11 center last year. I have no idea what that means, but it has to be better than what happened Sunday.

Now if Adams and Foster can stop passing guys off to no one and blocking air instead of rushers....maybe things get better.

Master Blaster
09-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Tomlin appears comfortable with Beachum stepping into the lineup. “He did an admirable job under the circumstances,” Tomlin said.
Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/-topstories/4654544-74/offensive-pouncey-steelers#ixzz2ePyrbER9

I hope Tomlin's thoughts aren't to make Beachum the Center this season. We must find a real center or it will surely lead to Ben getting knocked out before mid season. Who is available? I heard Matt Birk say the had thoughts of returning if needed. Anyone?

Tomlin's comment can also be attributed to the equipment guys.

The fact of the matter is Beachum has no experience playing center, in college or the pros. Therefore, claiming he did an admirable job does nothing to hide the fact that he is unqualified to man the most vital spot on the line. It is inexcusable for this team to be so woefully inept and undermanned at the OL backup positions, especially at the center position with a player, Pouncey, that has yet to play a full season since being drafted. Colbert has a majority of the team's cap space tied up in a handful of players with one of them, Woodley, not justifying his bloated salary since he received an extension.

Shoes
09-09-2013, 02:29 PM

The fact of the matter is Beachum has no experience playing center, in college or the pros. Therefore, claiming he did an admirable job does nothing to hide the fact that he is unqualified to man the most vital spot on the line. It is inexcusable for this team to be so woefully inept and undermanned at the OL backup positions, especially at the center position with a player, Pouncey, that has yet to play a full season since being drafted. Colbert has a majority of the team's cap space tied up in a handful of players with one of them, Woodley, not justifying his bloated salary since he received an extension.

Amen. :chuckle:

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5493/fernando-velasco

Looks like we signed a guy that grade out as Pro Football Focus's #11 center last year. I have no idea what that means, but it has to be better than what happened Sunday.

Now if Adams and Foster can stop passing guys off to no one and blocking air instead of rushers....maybe things get better.

That makes me feel a bit better.

stillers4me
09-09-2013, 02:32 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Shoes
09-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Thanks Sue!

Dwinsgames
09-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Steelers agreed to terms with C Fernando Velasco, formerly of the Titans, on a one-year contract.
Coming off a 16-start 2012 where he graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 11 center, Velasco was easily the best center on the open market, and could immediately slide into Maurkice Pouncey's (ACL) vacated starting role. Kelvin Beachum got thrown around by the Titans following Pouncey's departure on Sunday. It's still a terrible situation for the Steelers, who just can't keep their offensive line healthy. Sep 9 - 2:37 PM

in other words he graded out 5 spots better than Pouncey did

steeldevil
09-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Love the move. Just because it keeps beachum as the TE/ backup for a 5 role.

It certainly helps that we were able to get a guy that has recent starting experience.

Good job FO

Master Blaster
09-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Amen. :chuckle:

- - - Updated - - -

That makes me feel a bit better.
Can I get a collective AMEN?!

Shoes
09-09-2013, 02:42 PM
in other words he graded out 5 spots better than Pouncey did

Well, that makes me feel even better, Dwins!

stillers4me
09-09-2013, 02:42 PM

vader29
09-09-2013, 02:51 PM
There was something in the air that night, the stars were bright, Fernando. :chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv_-6XQyIq0

SteelerFanInStl
09-09-2013, 02:53 PM
I like this pick up.

stillers4me
09-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Fernando and He Shall be LeVeon.............does this mean we are back to 70's Steeler football?? :high5:

- - - Updated - - -

st33lersguy
09-09-2013, 03:15 PM
At first I was like "Who?", but now this looks better

stillers4me
09-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Animated GIF: #Steelers C Fernando Velasco goes second level against the #Bengals
The Steelers came to terms with former Titans center Fernando Velasco on Monday and below is an animated gif from the preseason game against the Bengals several weeks ago. This play shows Velasco getting off the line and to the second level.
http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/16f18bdb-0caa-4ddb-ace6-e10f6dbbbd81/?source=fb

http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/dcr72i.gif

salamander
09-09-2013, 04:56 PM
I had no idea who the hell this guy was but I definitely feel a little better now. Save Beachum for the other spots.

tube517
09-09-2013, 05:50 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Y2jPfFxVTZo/TGc5sqwiXfI/AAAAAAAAFOI/3XToGCqbZHI/s1600/fernandovalenzuela.jpg

Master Blaster
09-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Animated GIF: #Steelers C Fernando Velasco goes second level against the #Bengals
The Steelers came to terms with former Titans center Fernando Velasco on Monday and below is an animated gif from the preseason game against the Bengals several weeks ago. This play shows Velasco getting off the line and to the second level.
http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/16f18bdb-0caa-4ddb-ace6-e10f6dbbbd81/?source=fb

http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/dcr72i.gif

that's the kind of hustle and aggression I like to see. This guy could actually give the rest of the offense a sense that they all is not lost with Pouncey out. This could prove to be a blessing in disguise and the answer to this team's hopes of making the post season.

86WARD
09-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Titans fans don't miss him...

NCSteeler
09-09-2013, 06:10 PM
How was a guy like this sitting on the couch? I guess the veteran guarantee? Now , it proves worthy of cutting Dwyer to save that money for this guy.

Dwinsgames
09-09-2013, 06:11 PM
honestly find it hard to believe he was a street Free agent ............

Master Blaster
09-09-2013, 06:19 PM
That's why they're Titans fans.

- - - Updated - - -

honestly find it hard to believe he was a street Free agent ............
I agree, especially since he graded out so high.

zulater
09-09-2013, 07:23 PM

You just made Steeldude's Christmas card list. :chuckle:

zulater
09-09-2013, 07:31 PM

Maybe not. But he still improves this team.

Master Blaster
09-09-2013, 07:35 PM
You just made Steeldude's Christmas card list. :chuckle:
I'm so thrilled.

SteelerFanInStl
09-09-2013, 08:47 PM

Not so sure about that. Here's what Pro Football Focus had to say about the performance of their current center, Robert Turner against the Steelers:

From their first offensive play, it was evident thatTitans center Robert Turner (-5.5)was going to have a rough game. A play action fake did little to slow down Steve McLendon, as he beat Turner center left to land a hit on Jake Locker. It didn’t stop there, as a few plays later the Steelers’ nose tackle won on a run and picked up the stop on 1st-and-10, en route to a grade of +3.7. Turner went on to give up three more pressures – not a good total, considering he only pass blocked 25 times – and looked overmatched the entire game against a strong Pittsburgh line, whether he was failing to stay in front of defenders (2Q, 3:40) or getting completely overpowered (3Q, 9:07).

Shoes
09-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Tomlin said today that Beachum will start at center. I hope he changes his mind by Monday.

Dwinsgames
09-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Tomlin said today that Beachum will start at center. I hope he changes his mind by Monday.

then either Tomlin is an idiot or Valesco is out of shape and to be honest the way decisions have been made around this team as of late I am not sure which is the case and even money would probably be the line

LLT
09-10-2013, 07:51 PM
then either Tomlin is an idiot or Valesco is out of shape and to be honest the way decisions have been made around this team as of late I am not sure which is the case and even money would probably be the line

Possibly a stop-gap until Valesco learns the offense.

Dwinsgames
09-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Possibly a stop-gap until Valesco learns the offense.

Hopefully but I must wonder ....

would it be harder to learn the system or how to play the position ?

Beachum never played Center in his life till training camp . seems to me it would be easier to learn the system or even simplify it some by letting Ben make the line calls ( he did that before )

Shoes
09-10-2013, 07:58 PM

Beachum never played Center in his life till training camp . seems to me it would be easier to learn the system or even simplify it some by letting Ben make the line calls ( he did that before )

Amen,

Tomlin also said in his news conference, he supports (and stressed) the *legal* type blocking on the play Pouncey was hurt. @ the 17:24 mark.

Dwinsgames
09-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Amen,

Tomlin also said in his news conference, he supports (and stressed) the *legal* type blocking on the play Pouncey was hurt.

Piss on Tomlin then , he is a piss poor ambassador of the game and no friend of the players careers league wide ....

there is NO PLACE in the game for such classless , dirty , underhanded play ( legal or not ) that can end careers of men who have works so hard to accomplish what they have for him to endorse the kind of play that can end it all with 1 block ...

disgusting

edit...

I realize other teams have been employing chop block schemes for years , I have also been bitching about them for years ....

that being said you CAN zone block without chop blocking

LLT
09-10-2013, 08:08 PM

I understand what you are saying. Its just probably a safer bet to have Beachum, who understands the blocking assignments, play for one more week then to have Valesco double teaming a DL while HIS guy is wiping his cleats on Bens Jersey.
I would guess Valesco is going to be on a crash course to learn the blocking system.

zulater
09-10-2013, 08:41 PM
So if the eventual plan isn't for Valesco to be the starting center then why the hell haven't they signed a tackle to take the place of Beachum as swingman OT and 3rd TE?

LLT
09-10-2013, 08:44 PM
So if the eventual plan isn't for Valesco to be the starting center then why the hell haven't they signed a tackle to take the place of Beachum as swingman OT and 3rd TE?

As I said...I think Valesco will be the center after a Steelers playbook "crash course".

Master Blaster
09-11-2013, 03:57 PM
One thing has been bothering me since Beachum made the team. When have we ever seen a Steelers' team draft an OLman, in the seventh round, and had him not only learn, practice and back up every offensive line position, but to also be asked to play the TE position, to boot? Talk about putting all of one's eggs in one basket...

st33lersguy
09-11-2013, 04:37 PM
As I said...I think Valesco will be the center after a Steelers playbook "crash course".

From what I've read about Valesco, he would still probably perform better without learning the playbook than Beachum having learned the playbook

LLT
09-11-2013, 06:22 PM
From what I've read about Valesco, he would still probably perform better without learning the playbook than Beachum having learned the playbook

Probably so...but if Ben gets hurt with Beachum under center...its on Beachum. If he got hurt with Valesco under center (at this point)...it would be on the coaches. They are going to err on the side of caution.

Shoes
09-11-2013, 06:41 PM
This coaching staff has been playing Russian roulette with Ben for some years now. At some point everything is going to line up...when it does I'll be back in Pittsburgh with my pitchfork! No chuckles on this one.

zulater
09-11-2013, 06:58 PM
One thing has been bothering me since Beachum made the team. When have we ever seen a Steelers' team draft an OLman, in the seventh round, and had him not only learn, practice and back up every offensive line position, but to also be asked to play the TE position, to boot? Talk about putting all of one's eggs in one basket...

It was a good plan since we never have any trouble with o-lineman getting injured. :sarcasm:

Master Blaster
09-11-2013, 07:32 PM
It was a good plan since we never have any trouble with o-lineman getting injured. :sarcasm:
It goes without saying that Colbert took a high risk gamble that Pouncey would make it through the season and lost. To not have a legitimate backup at center is reprehensible and bordering on criminal.

Count Steeler
09-11-2013, 07:45 PM
It goes without saying that Colbert took a high risk gamble that Pouncey would make it through the season and lost. To not have a legitimate backup at center is reprehensible and bordering on criminal.

One also has to start looking at player development, or lack thereof. I have less and less confidence in the coaching staff and the front office.

It might have been better to take a big hit after the 2010 SB loss and clear out the salary cap fiasco and start fresh. We would be in our 3rd year of rebuilding, with hopefully a friendly cap number and room to manuever in free agency or the ability to keep the younger talent.

Instead we are hamstrung by consistently hitting the cap.

The staff seems to be good at drafting/developing WRs and players in the secondary. The O line, RB and D Line are glaring weaknesses. With the picks used on the O Line and D Line in the past 4 seasons, they should be the most promising units on this team. Sadly, they have not improved.

vindrow
09-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Man, Geno Atkins is going to have Beachum for lunch and Ben for dessert.

Master Blaster
09-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Ben's wife after the game: "What are all of those hideous marks all over your torso?!"
Ben: "Geno Atkins' cleat marks."

Dwinsgames
09-11-2013, 08:11 PM

I fear for his safety

Master Blaster
09-11-2013, 08:24 PM
I fear for his safety
Yeah. Poor Geno. He had such potential.

Psycho Ward 86
09-11-2013, 08:55 PM

I think trying to run up the A and B gaps is officially out of the question with Pouncey's loss

Master Blaster
09-11-2013, 08:59 PM
I think trying to run up the A and B gaps is officially out of the question with Pouncey's loss
No it isn't. There is no certainty that Valesco won't pan out.

Shoes
09-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Denver's back-up center is doing really well, but they had a back-up.

Broncos signed C Manny Ramirez to a two-year extension through 2015.

A journeyman before landing in Denver, Ramirez has emerged as a rock-solid center after arriving as a guard out of Texas Tech in the 2007 draft. He was previously only signed through 2013. Ramirez has earned the trust of Peyton Manning and looks to be locked in as Denver's pivot for the foreseeable future.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

Psycho Ward 86
09-11-2013, 09:40 PM
No it isn't. There is no certainty that Valesco won't pan out.

didnt someone say beachum is getting the start at center?

Master Blaster
09-11-2013, 09:45 PM
didnt someone say beachum is getting the start at center?
That depends on Valesco's ability to absorb Bickell's and Haley's job assignments.

Count Steeler
09-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Experienced NFL center versus a utility O Lineman that played center for the first time in his career because of Pouncey's injury. Hmmm, I know who I would start.

Master Blaster
09-11-2013, 10:13 PM
http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Fernando-Velasco-on-joining-the-Steelers/c797fad2-b37e-41f3-9ab0-f414804b90ea

zulater
09-12-2013, 12:23 AM
• The center had never played center.
That was Kelvin Beachum, of course. He's the default starter for Cincinnati, per Mike Tomlin, but Fernando Velasco told me Wednesday he thinks he “should be ready.” Velasco started 13 games last season for the Titans in a similar scheme, and he actually graded higher than Pouncey in Pro Football Focus' 2012 ratings.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/4683750-74/foster-steelers-season#ixzz2eeY6slCS
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Seven
09-12-2013, 12:32 AM
I waited to comment on this until I went back and watched Valesco play some. My feelings: he should be a fine replacement for Pouncey. Hopefully the staff will start him instead of Beachum this week. Trial by fire is the way I would go with him. He's a veteran at the position who, if nothing else, shouldn't have any miscues snapping the football and throwing himself in front of a defender.

Dwinsgames
09-12-2013, 12:41 AM
Experienced NFL center versus a utility O Lineman that played center for the first time in his career because of Pouncey's injury. Hmmm, I know who I would start.

yep , we are on the same page .....

however Tomlin is from another planet at this point thus Far Beachum is named the starter so unless something changes Bens life is in danger ,,,

that is not intended to be a shot at beachum hell he never played the pos until a few weeks ago in practice now he is going to have to face a more than formatable D- Line

Psycho Ward 86
09-12-2013, 01:20 AM
im tired of this utility-linemen shit. seriously. who gives a shit how many positions a guy plays if he sucks at most or all of them? Someone needs to teach these linemen how to not fucking fall on each other or try to spear tackle the shit out of each other Goldberg-style. Beachum is the new Trai Essex except he actually has some potential as a tackle, but the fact that he is a back up to marcus gilbert makes a grown man want to cry

zulater
09-12-2013, 05:26 AM
im tired of this utility-linemen shit. seriously. who gives a shit how many positions a guy plays if he sucks at most or all of them? Someone needs to teach these linemen how to not fucking fall on each other or try to spear tackle the shit out of each other Goldberg-style. Beachum is the new Trai Essex except he actually has some potential as a tackle, but the fact that he is a back up to marcus gilbert makes a grown man want to cry

I think Gilbert and Adams are ahead of Beachum on the depth chart more on draft position than on merit. Don't be surprised if Beachum is starting on one side or the other before seasons end.

Master Blaster
09-12-2013, 07:28 AM
I think Gilbert and Adams are ahead of Beachum on the depth chart more on draft position than on merit. Don't be surprised if Beachum is starting on one side or the other before seasons end.
Adams temperament resembles Max Starks'. They are both devoid of the one attribute that Bruce Ariens said Max lacked and that was, a mean streak. Ariens didn't like Starks because of his laid back, Mr. nice guy personality. Ariens stated that he wanted his offensive lineman to have a killer instinct, guys who are road grading maulers that play angry. Adams, like Starks, doesn't embody those attributes.

Bluecoat96
09-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac (https://twitter.com/gerrydulac)10m (https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/378573997299867648)
New C Fernando Velasco will start in Cincy. Isaac Redman: “I’ve never seen anyone come in and look as comfortable in the offense so quick."

tube517
09-13-2013, 12:57 PM

And don't be surprised if its because one of them tripped each other or if they cut block each other by mistake

Sent from my SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4

Devilsdancefloor
09-13-2013, 01:05 PM
i really think adams is a RT and Beachum has really surprised me in games last year if he made a mistake he didnt make it again he was always trying to make his technique better, so that be said i think he is going to be our future LT, but for some reason they want to throw him into the middle?!

steelreserve
09-13-2013, 01:35 PM

Why would we be surprised? At least one of them will be injured!

I really hope Velasco works out, by the way. If he plays well this year, it gives us options - as in bringing him back for relatively cheap, rather than break our necks trying to re-sign Pouncey, who I really think we can't afford. If Velasco is above-average and costs $3-4M a year on a long-term deal instead of $8-10M, that's a huge win for us considering our cap situation.

Dwinsgames
09-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac (https://twitter.com/gerrydulac)10m (https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/378573997299867648)
New C Fernando Velasco will start in Cincy. Isaac Redman: “I’ve never seen anyone come in and look as comfortable in the offense so quick."

because you are not used to seeing real NFL linemen play football ( on your team )

Psycho Ward 86
09-13-2013, 02:24 PM

well we wont know what that looks like yet, but sounds like awesome news to me. Redman's comment is certainly comforting, but i still expect there to be a lot of struggles. That whole bengals D-line is vicious, especially Geno atkins.

Anyone know which RB is slated to start?

Mistah Q
09-15-2013, 01:55 AM
IK tjhikhns hne waill be a goiold shnoitl in thea sknhyr for then STgehnwlers Otline

steelreserve
09-15-2013, 04:19 AM
IK tjhikhns hne waill be a goiold shnoitl in thea sknhyr for then STgehnwlers Otline

Dmitry?

Dmitry?

Is that you? Was that English?

Дмитрий? ты там?

stillers4me
09-15-2013, 08:01 AM
http://media.skateboard.com.au/forum/images/drunkOnTheInternet5.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=VbPVCrxd_KzBSM&tbnid=YkbqyE3Ym15fCM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newschoolers.com%2Fns%2Fforum s%2Freadthread%2Fthread_id%2F680000%2F&ei=l681UozsGq2z4AP2rYD4Ag&bvm=bv.52164340,d.dmg&psig=AFQjCNH4_qz3PXDEReX0RUJTsNc-38fVMA&ust=1379336462641970)

SteelerFanInStl
09-15-2013, 08:33 AM

PUI? :alcohol: