PDA

View Full Version : Yep - looks like Dwyer is back

Spike
09-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Steelers will re-sign RB Jonathan Dwyer

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5709

Master Blaster
09-09-2013, 07:55 AM
It is the prudent thing to do because Dwyer knows the offense.

ALLD
09-09-2013, 08:01 AM
I expect big changes next season which will probably include neither of these two coming back.

st33lersguy
09-09-2013, 08:52 AM
He couldn't possibly perform worse than the other two RBs did yesterday?

Master Blaster
09-09-2013, 09:22 AM
He couldn't possibly perform worse than the other two RBs did yesterday?
On the contrary, if the O.L. continues to play as they did yesterday not even a young Jerome Bettis would have faired better. There were no holes to run through.

steeldawg
09-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Omg wonder if they will cut redman, is howlings out?

fansince'76
09-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Welp, Dwyer can fail to see creases, run into the backs of his O-linemen and fall down for little-to-no gain as well as anybody, I suppose...

Master Blaster
09-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Omg wonder if they will cut redman, is howlings out?
Howlings tore an ACLU and will be out for the season.

They won't cut Redman because it wasn't his fault that the OL failed to open any holes. No running back was able to find daylight.

Devilsdancefloor
09-09-2013, 10:10 AM
wonder if he will still have a chip on his shoulder? He did have a good game last year against the bungles

Master Blaster
09-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Welp, Dwyer can fail to see creases, run into the backs of his O-linemen and fall down for little-to-no gain as well as anybody, I suppose...
He can also realize, like Redman did, that they had the wrong personnel group for the play they called that ended up with a botched handoff and the resulting fumble.

- - - Updated - - -

wonder if he will still have a chip on his shoulder? He did have a good game last year against the bungles
He has no right to have a chip on his shoulder. It's his fault for losing his job.

Psycho Ward 86
09-09-2013, 10:45 AM
like itll make a difference. dwyer reads holes worse than any of the backs on the roster right now. and the way our O_line is blocking, that flaw will only be magnified. O-line needs to step it up without Pouncey. Now thats a tall order

salamander
09-09-2013, 11:13 AM
We'll still average less than 2 ypc.

stillers4me
09-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Garbage in, garbage out. That's the Steeler way.

steeldawg
09-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Omg howlings is gone, I would just go to Felix maybe not knowing the offense will be a positive.

Shoes
09-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Garbage in, garbage out. That's the Steeler way.

........and sadly that thinking is going to cost Ben this year.

whodat1
09-09-2013, 02:25 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000241225/article/jonathan-dwyer-to-resign-with-pittsburgh-steelers

stillers4me
09-09-2013, 02:50 PM

vader29
09-09-2013, 02:53 PM
After his week off, I think he ate the chip.

Shoes
09-09-2013, 02:54 PM

:chuckle:

Master Blaster
09-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Now I don't care what you say, THAT'S funny right there.

Count Steeler
09-09-2013, 03:05 PM
It is the prudent thing to do because Dwyer knows the offense.
As does every defender we face. Time to change the script.

Texasteel
09-09-2013, 03:19 PM
After the last game I would hope the whole team shows up with a bit of a chip on their shoulders. I have seen the Steelers written off so many times, only to come back and have a decent year. We will have to wait and see if this team can do the same.

steeldawg
09-09-2013, 03:30 PM

I agree with this we are very predictable.

86WARD
09-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Cut Garbageman and just go with 2 backs. Not like they need these two for the passing game.

Craic
09-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Cut Garbageman and just go with 2 backs. Not like they need these two for the passing game.

If that's what they're going to do for the passing game, then might as well keep Dwyer and Redman since they're the best blockers. Felix Jones's whiff was sad.

TomlinSteelTribe
09-09-2013, 04:29 PM
I don't have a problem with going outside the box, but that play was kinda silly. "Well, we'll line up our TE/FB as the HB and put our HB at FB and then hand-off to the FB spot... Genius!" (*sarcasm alert) Remember when the Bus threw that pass near the goal line during the Jets game? An ugly duck, for sure, but it got the job done b/c the Jets had no idea it was coming. The kind of "trick" play they ran yesterday, didn't trick anybody but Redman, as the timing was off. Who woulda thunk it, a guy used to the timing of a hand-off from the HB spot, wouldn't be used to the different timing of taking a hand-off from the FB spot? Man, oh how I've changed my mind about the Arians firing/Haley hiring.

Spike
09-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Steelers officially IR Pouncey, Foote and Stephens-Howling. C Fernando Velasco, RB Jonathan Dwyer and K Shayne Graham take their spots

https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala

Master Blaster
09-09-2013, 07:15 PM
What needs to happen is for the players to actually follow and adhere to the script. I know that I'm tired of hearing the players say they lost because of communications breakdowns. My answer to that is, "Well, what are doing about rectifying that problem?"

- - - Updated - - -

Steelers officially IR Pouncey, Foote and Stephens-Howling. C Fernando Velasco, RB Jonathan Dwyer and K Shayne Graham take their spots

https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala
Graham is almost as old as Tomlin is and he's kicked for thirteen different teams. The last being the bungles.

Dwinsgames
09-09-2013, 07:24 PM
What needs to happen is for the players to actually follow and adhere to the script. I know that I'm tired of hearing the players say they lost because of communications breakdowns. My answer to that is, "Well, what are doing about rectifying that problem?"

- - - Updated - - -

Graham is almost as old as Tomlin is and he's kicked for thirteen different teams. The last being the bungles.

old but fairly steady 7th most accurate of all time I believe

- - - Updated - - -

He has no right to have a chip on his shoulder. It's his fault for losing his job.

I disagree , the wrong man was cut it should have been Redman and that should not have been a difficult decision from men who are supposed to be professional football talent scouts and coaches ...

they got it wrong , they will never admit it but they did get it wrong ....

Master Blaster
09-09-2013, 07:38 PM
old but fairly steady 7th most accurate of all time I believe

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree , the wrong man was cut it should have been Redman and that should not have been a difficult decision from men who are supposed to be professional football talent scouts and coaches ...

That's your opinion... and you're sticking to it. LOL.

HollywoodSteel
09-09-2013, 07:42 PM

I think this is a valid decision, however it seems to me that what they got wrong was the playcalling. If you are going to keep Redman over Dwyer it should not be as an every down back. In that regard Dwyer is better. Redman should never be given the ball on first down except to run out the clock or something. I liked the idea of running Jones until the wheels came off or Bell came back. Maybe he's just too crappy a blocker or doesn't know the protections. Otherwise the move made no sense.

Dwinsgames
09-09-2013, 07:52 PM
I think this is a valid decision, however it seems to me that what they got wrong was the playcalling. If you are going to keep Redman over Dwyer it should not be as an every down back. In that regard Dwyer is better. Redman should never be given the ball on first down except to run out the clock or something. I liked the idea of running Jones until the wheels came off or Bell came back. Maybe he's just too crappy a blocker or doesn't know the protections. Otherwise the move made no sense.

I can also see Redman as the short yardage guy if he still has that in his game , I for one am not convinced he does ...

1) reportedly 20 pounds lighter than last seasons playing weight

2) nursing a stinger ( hard to lower your shoulder when you know dam well its going to hurt like hell when you make contact )

so those two reasons in themselves take away anything you hope to achieve by keeping Redman to begin with ...

why was this coaching staff not astute enough to see this , I haven't a clue

steeldawg
09-09-2013, 07:54 PM

Well they didn't want to use redman as an every down back but when bell got injured it was dwyer or redman, they wanted redman for their short yardage game so they couldn't keep dwyer. If dwyer was on the roster week one his contract would of been guaranteed for the season, now if they cut dwyer later on they don't have to pay him.

vader29
09-10-2013, 11:04 AM

Psycho Ward 86
09-10-2013, 11:35 AM
I can also see Redman as the short yardage guy if he still has that in his game , I for one am not convinced he does ...

1) reportedly 20 pounds lighter than last seasons playing weight

2) nursing a stinger ( hard to lower your shoulder when you know dam well its going to hurt like hell when you make contact )

so those two reasons in themselves take away anything you hope to achieve by keeping Redman to begin with ...

why was this coaching staff not astute enough to see this , I haven't a clue

because they dont get to make decisions in hindsight like you always do lol

Master Blaster
09-10-2013, 12:09 PM
That's an unfair and uncalled for response.

Psycho Ward 86
09-10-2013, 12:15 PM
That's an unfair and uncalled for response.

because its true?

steeldawg
09-10-2013, 12:18 PM
because its true?

I thought it was funny!

Master Blaster
09-10-2013, 12:19 PM
because its true?
Because it's uncalled for. There is no justification to be relentlessly sarcastic.

steeldawg
09-10-2013, 12:30 PM
That comment was relentless? wow you should see what I have to put up with.

Dwinsgames
09-10-2013, 12:41 PM

hey dickhead , its not hindsight I have said all along Dwyer is superior to Redman open your fucking eyes ...

but what else should I expect from an asshole other than shitty sounds on a daily basis

you have been taking pop shots at me for weeks on end I have had it , now I am calling YOU out

where is the hindsight asshole ???

note the post dates , all PRIOR to Redman being a total piece of shit week 1
post 77 in this thread http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/18112-Isaac-Redman-remains-ahead-of-Dwyer-in-PIT/page8

someone gets the ax or is traded ( Giants need a RB but the waiver wire may be the tool used to fill it )

I would cut Redman before Dwyer , for me Dwyer is the more complete Back ..... but I think the team views Redman ( for reasons unbeknownst to me ) as a higher priority ....

post 94 in same thread

the tape is only as good as the guy interpreting what he sees ....

if the guy sees 4.0 YPC from one player and sees another guy deliver less results and makes them out to be one in the same he did not utilize that tape very well .....

results at the end of the day is what makes the difference in winners and losers ... I take the guy who gets the best results

post 142 in same thread ...

wasnt redman supposed to have dropped 20 plus pounds ?

would that not put him at around 210 ?

do we have any evidence that a 210 pound RB can be a short yardage back ?

do we have any evidence his stinger will be ok for week 1 ?

what makes anyone believe he will be able to get and remain healthy for a full season he has not been able to do that thus far

more questions than answers IMO

there are plenty more but I would not want to bore you with FACTS

as for the moderation , please do not ask me to modify this post because I won't if you want it modified you will have to do it yourself when the truth is altered what good is it ?

I have zero issue being called out on what I post but be accurate when doing so !!

Seven
09-10-2013, 12:44 PM
The fact that Dwyer is ahead of Jones speaks volumes to me. I'll be surprised if he isn't ahead of Redman in a week or two as well. I think Bell as the starter with Dwyer spelling him is our best chance at a good running game. That's how I saw it all offseason and nothing has happened since to change my mind.

Redman has had multiple chances to prove he can be the guy for this team and has shown he isn't capable on every occasion. It's time to move on.

steeldawg
09-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Dwyer is ahead of jones because Dwyer knows the offense and the protections better. They would have not cut Dwyer in the first place if they thought he was better and also he's still behind redman.

Seven
09-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Dwyer is ahead of jones because Dwyer knows the offense and the protections better. They would have not cut Dwyer in the first place if they thought he was better and also he's still behind redman.

That might have worked last week. Not anymore. There is no reason Jones shouldn't know this offense in and out by now. I'm guessing Jones is taking over the Stephens-Howling role.

Dwyer won't be behind Redman for long. Without the extra weight Redman isn't the same short yardage guy he has been in the past. And without that skill, he's nothing. He's a fumble or two away from being at the bottom of the depth chart. It will happen soon enough.

Dwinsgames
09-10-2013, 01:36 PM

and that should tell you all you need to know about their ability to evaluate talent

Master Blaster
09-10-2013, 02:00 PM
The underlying issue here is Redman was never viewed by the coaching staff as an every down back. I'd like to know what body of work he has produced to change their minds because he's never proved he can do it on a consistent basis. There are two knowns with Redman: (1) He's injury prone and (2) He's not an every down back, no matter how much the coaching staff attempts to delude themselves into thinking he is. Jones is the only healthy back with the pedigree to fill that role until Bell returns. Redman and Dwyer are what they are, situational players.

As for the OL's woes, that falls squarely Kevin Colbert's shoulders because it's his job to seek out the best talent available for the coaching staff to train. He has failed in that regard and here's why I say that:

* When did we ever see this team go into a season so egregiously and inexcusably depleted in depth, especially along the OL? Starting a season with the intent to rid itself of the stench of the previous 8-8 season, with a seventh round pick as their only viable option to back up every other OL position along the OL, with a free agent acquisition, Whimper, that has no business being on this roster, is ludicrous. In addition, they are asking that same seventh round pick to also play the tight end position because their starter and his primary back up are injured and the other TE's can't block to save their lives.
* The decision to cut Dwyer in favor of oft injured Redman, whom only had two carries in the preseason, was based on feelings instead of sound reasoning. That bad decision was magnified by another bad decision when they designated Redman as the starting RB, especially knowing that his body of work showed no signs to justify that decision.
* Does Tomlin place the same value in his O.L. that Cowher did? From the outside looking in one could assume that he doesn't.
* Tomlin's failures as a head coach were obvious this past Sunday. Poor clock management, poor game management, poor personnel management and a failure to adjust we're on full display. It is his job to make sure he has a grasp on all facets of his team and what is going on in the game. The botched handoff was Haley's fault for not having the right personnel package on the field, but that does not excuse Tomlin for not calling a time out right then when they still had three remaining.

steeldawg
09-10-2013, 05:00 PM
That might have worked last week. Not anymore. There is no reason Jones shouldn't know this offense in and out by now. I'm guessing Jones is taking over the Stephens-Howling role.

Dwyer won't be behind Redman for long. Without the extra weight Redman isn't the same short yardage guy he has been in the past. And without that skill, he's nothing. He's a fumble or two away from being at the bottom of the depth chart. It will happen soon enough.

Jones has been on the team 3 weeks do you really think you can learn all the plays, the protections, the audibles, and the terminology? When teams get a new coordinator it takes an entire offseason just to get the offense implemented and usually some growing pains during the season. How can you say redman is not the same short yardage back as the past, it was one bad game that is a complete overreaction and the one short yardage carry he got was a botched handoff. The only reason dwyer was resigned is because he knows the offense and we have a division game coming up.

Spike
09-10-2013, 05:02 PM
hahahahahaha

they get Dwyer - and bench him!

Tomlin says Redman will start - - how the fuck do you let fumblelicious Redman start?

Felix!

Felix!

Felix!

steeldawg
09-10-2013, 05:07 PM
hahahahahaha

they get Dwyer - and bench him!

Tomlin says Redman will start - - how the fuck do you let fumblelicious Redman start?

Felix!

Felix!

Felix!

Dwyer was signed to fill howlings spot not to replace redman, had redman had a good game and howlings blew out his acl we still would of signed dwyer.

Dwinsgames
09-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Dwyer was signed to fill howlings spot not to replace redman, had redman had a good game and howlings blew out his acl we still would of signed dwyer.

the old standard is the standard line is old for as long as " the standard" is said to be what we seen on Sunday in Redmans performance ( apparently because he is again starting ) we will suck as a football team ...

the Bar needs raised and raised by a LOT

Psycho Ward 86
09-10-2013, 05:51 PM
* When did we ever see this team go into a season so egregiously and inexcusably depleted in depth?

The answer is simple. about 4-5 years ago, when the front office decided to do a combination of the following 3:

1) Start drafting horridly
2) Develop young, promising talent, and then let them leave for greener pastures
3) Cling onto veterans for more money they are worth and past their prime because the back ups "arent ready" yet
4) Mismanage the shit out of the cap space by ranking #1 in the NFL in restructured money this past season (and no doubt possibly in the previous 4 years). Ill look for the link on this one

Hard to argue these imo. To people who think it was something else, i ask you then, how did we get here?

Craic
09-10-2013, 07:31 PM
The answer is simple. about 4-5 years ago, when the front office decided to do a combination of the following 3:

1) Start drafting horridly
2) Develop young, promising talent, and then let them leave for greener pastures
3) Cling onto veterans for more money they are worth and past their prime because the back ups "arent ready" yet
4) Mismanage the shit out of the cap space by ranking #1 in the NFL in restructured money this past season (and no doubt possibly in the previous 4 years). Ill look for the link on this one

Hard to argue these imo. To people who think it was something else, i ask you then, how did we get here?

Maybe, maybe, no, and no.

I'll give you the first two, though honestly, what players in the last few years have really gone on to have great careers in greener pastures?

For three and four, that's quite a bit of biased thinking, IMO. We were told exactly explicitly that the owners were holding on to players because they were a superbowl caliber team and the owners and coaches were hoping to squeeze another SB out of them. That was in the off-season after the 2010 SB run. If I remember correctly, most if not everyone on this board was okay with that, because of the level of talent this team continued to put on the field. It was therefore a decision that was made, and a decision that we are now paying for. Do I have a problem with that? Nope. Why? Because I willingly accepted the ability to get to another SB in the short term knowing that it would hamper this team for a few years in the medium term. It's something that a lot of people are forgetting, I think.

Dwinsgames
09-10-2013, 07:43 PM
http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/crickets.gif

psucho ward 86

Seven
09-11-2013, 01:35 AM

Redman to start? What the fuck. That's absolutely inexcusable.

Spike
09-11-2013, 05:32 AM

Exactly

Craic
09-11-2013, 05:47 AM

Exactly

The only way I see that making sense is if Tomlin was told that he's hurting players by yanking them after making a mistake. I like Tomlin quite a bit, but I do wonder if he contributed to the head problems our receivers and RBs had last year holding on to the ball, and for that matter, to a certain WR we drafted a three or four years ago that managed to drop a pass at the most inopportune time, ever.

tube517
09-11-2013, 06:13 AM
Tomlins getting Mad Cowher disease. I don't hate Tomlin like most do but he is channeling some Bill Cow her stubbornness here. However starting doesn't guarantee 25-30 carries

Sent from my SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4

Master Blaster
09-11-2013, 07:31 AM
From the outside looking in that makes as much sense as having the ball boy back up Ben. On the other hand, I have to believe that Redman will be on a short leash and there is no justifiable reason why he shouldn't be.

Dwinsgames
09-11-2013, 07:38 AM
From the outside looking in that makes as much sense as having the ball boy back up Ben. On the other hand, I have to believe that Redman will be on a short leash and there is no justifiable reason why he shouldn't be.

after the way he played their shouldn't be a leash , he should have been dropped off on a busy highway

Master Blaster
09-11-2013, 07:51 AM
after the way he played their shouldn't be a leash , he should have been dropped off on a busy highway
I can understand why Tomlin made that decision because it sends the message to the team that he believes in second chances. I think Tomlin will give Redman a predetermined number of snaps to prove he's worthy of starting. I also have to believe that Tomlin's mindset is, "fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, clear out your locker.

Dwinsgames
09-11-2013, 07:58 AM
I can understand why Tomlin made that decision because it sends the message to the team that he believes in second chances. I think Tomlin will give Redman a predetermined number of snaps to prove he's worthy of starting. I also have to believe that Tomlin's mindset is, "fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, clear out your locker.

problem is I see that as Tomlin speak ( he talks a good game and fancy cliches ) but actions speak louder than words ....stop telling me and show me !!!

Master Blaster
09-11-2013, 08:13 AM
problem is I see that as Tomlin speak ( he talks a good game and fancy cliches ) but actions speak louder than words ....stop telling me and show me !!!
Actually, if I had Tomlin in front of me I'd tell him, "Talk is cheap! Don't sing it. Bring it!"

tube517
09-11-2013, 09:09 AM

I agree about the predetermined snaps/short leash unless DeCastro takes out Bell Dwyer and FJones in practice

Sent from my SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4