PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Tomlin looks to extinguish flames of doubt in 7th season

stillers4me
09-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Amid the howling winds and roaring thunder, Mike Tomlin barely flinched as diehard Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/) fans sprinted for cover during a rainstorm on the first weekend of training camp at St. Vincent.

The usually stoic Tomlin was far too focused to dodge the raindrops. He spent the offseason trying to figure out how to plug the leaks of a proud organization that staggered to an 8-8 record after posting consecutive 12-4 seasons.
With the exception of his first season in 2007, Tomlin begins opening day Sunday unlike any other — with more questions than answers about a team most expect to jockey for position in the middle of the AFC. .........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4654849-74/tomlin-coach-season#ixzz2eJS7kHHV

salamander
09-08-2013, 10:44 AM
He's a bum... FIRE HIM!!!

:chuckle:

fansince'76
09-08-2013, 10:45 AM
He's a bum... FIRE HIM!!!

:chuckle:

He's just another Barry Switzer! :chuckle:

ALLD
09-08-2013, 04:05 PM
The don't look organized or disciplined on anything except defense as usual. Still the same holes on O & STs.

fansince'76
09-08-2013, 04:13 PM
I think it's become painfully apparent that Arians wasn't the issue with the offense...

X-Terminator
09-08-2013, 04:15 PM
I think it's become painfully apparent that Arians wasn't the issue with the offense...

It is, and has always been, the lack of a competent running game. It hurt Arians' offense, and now it's hurting Haley's. Also, not having Heath Miller may turn out to be an even bigger loss than we anticipated.

stillers4me
09-08-2013, 04:17 PM
How can it be so hard to put together a line capable of protecting your 2 time superbowl winning QB that you waited 25 years for? :frusty:

st33lersguy
09-08-2013, 04:22 PM
This is how he plans to extinguish doubts, by making it clear as day that he didn't have his team prepared to play the flippin Titans? Coach Tomlin is all talk.

60_MINUTES
09-08-2013, 04:40 PM
According to Tomlin couple years ago he planned on protection by using speed at the WR position. Lol. What a joke

steeldawg
09-08-2013, 04:45 PM
the problem is we don't have any threats on our offense and when our o line struggles defenses are just coming after us. couple that with a dink and dunk offense and you get what saw on the field today. only reason we scored is because they sat back and rushed three and left the middle and the underneath routes open.

Master Blaster
09-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Tomlin only fanned the flames instead of extinguishing them.

HollywoodSteel
09-08-2013, 06:22 PM
It is, and has always been, the lack of a competent running game. It hurt Arians' offense, and now it's hurting Haley's. Also, not having Heath Miller may turn out to be an even bigger loss than we anticipated.

Okay but how do you get a competent running game? Luck? At some point isn't coaching a factor?

tube517
09-08-2013, 06:41 PM

Also, Willie Colon was a beast in the running game until he got hurt last year.

X-Terminator
09-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Okay but how do you get a competent running game? Luck? At some point isn't coaching a factor?

First of all, I have never said that coaching couldn't be criticized. I am simply referring to the constant knee-jerk reactions of "FIRE (insert coach here)" after every loss.

Now that that's out of the way, yes, coaching is certainly a factor as to why the running game has struggled. It certainly isn't talent, because I believe it's there. The running game really hasn't been good since 2007.

steeldawg
09-08-2013, 07:23 PM

well first we need an o line second we need a good gameplan and third we need some kind of threat in the passing game to keep the safety's out of the box.

zulater
09-09-2013, 12:51 PM
First of all, I have never said that coaching couldn't be criticized. I am simply referring to the constant knee-jerk reactions of "FIRE (insert coach here)" after every loss.

Now that that's out of the way, yes, coaching is certainly a factor as to why the running game has struggled. It certainly isn't talent, because I believe it's there. The running game really hasn't been good since 2007.

Gee what happened in 2007 to change things?:noidea:

Master Blaster
09-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Gee what happened in 2007 to change things?:noidea:
Umm. Tomlin got hired and he signed Sean Mahan to replace all pro, Jeff Hartings at center?