PDA

View Full Version : Steelers defensive end Hood out for more 'splash plays'

stillers4me
09-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Ziggy Hood knows in the increasingly expansive world of social media, everything he does on the football field will be scrutinized.

The Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/) defensive end keeps his distance from cyberspace, in part, because he views it as a distraction.
It's not that Hood's skin isn't thick enough. It's about focusing on his responsibilities with football and family..........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4661016-74/hood-defensive-plays#ixzz2eDDghIM8

Texasteel
09-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Always a little suspect of a player that decides to have a brake out year in a contract years. Here's an idea. How about working hard and earning the money you are being paid from the start, then you doing need to talk about making a bigger splash when your looking for a new contract.

Shoes
09-07-2013, 10:50 AM
*Hood is ready to silence his critics.* A #1 pick in year 4 and youtube training videos.......silence on, Ziggy.

steelreserve
09-07-2013, 12:36 PM
I'd settle for not getting his ass handed to him, but if he actually wants to make an impact, fine by me.

HollywoodSteel
09-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Part of my screen was blocked, so at first I just read "Steelers defensive end Hood out." I guess I can think of scarier headlines, but still I wonder if journalists word their headlines like this on purpose to give fans a momentary scare.

Steeldude
09-07-2013, 03:10 PM
I don't care about the splash plays as much as I do with his gap assignments

HollywoodSteel
09-07-2013, 03:18 PM
After reading the article, not only is it a scary headline, it's flat out wrong. So is the line, "Hood is ready to silence his critics." Every quote from Hood says the exact opposite - he doesn't care what the critics think, and he isn't out to make splash plays specifically. He's out to do his job as a 3-4 DE and do exactly what the coaches tell him to do. He explains that his job is very different than a J.J. Watt and personal number s mean nothing to him. In our scheme the linebackers will get the big numbers (theoretically). Now you could argue that he hasn't been doing his job up to the level expected of him so far, but the article isn't about that.

steelreserve
09-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Part of my screen was blocked, so at first I just read "Steelers defensive end Hood out." I guess I can think of scarier headlines, but still I wonder if journalists word their headlines like this on purpose to give fans a momentary scare.

As one who used to do that, I can tell you that at a newspaper with a printed edition, they usually choose wording of headlines based on what will fill the entire line exactly at a reasonable font size, or if it's a two-line headline, what will fill the space with no awkward line breaks. Also for that reason, the people actually designing the page are the ones who pick the final headline; the writer sometimes suggests one, but since he usually has no idea which space it's going into.

I am willing to bet that in the printed edition, it lined up like:

Steelers defensive end Hood
out for more 'splash plays'

Anyway, like Steeldude said, it's not the splash plays I'm concerned about; 3-4 DEs aren't supposed to make a lot of splash plays. It's more about knowing your role and doing it well. Which makes me hope he's not going to go out there trying too hard and wind up getting out of position, running past the play, or otherwise playing into the opponent's hands. (edit: which the article, not the headline, explains pretty well. That is a bit misleading - I would've put something more like "Steelers' Hood hoping to make a bigger impact" or something. But you also have to remember that the people designing the page or the website often are not super-knowledgeable sports guys and might not know, for example, all the nuances of the role of the defensive line in the 3-4 defense.)