PDA

View Full Version : Steelers GM Kevin Colbert refining his strategy

stillers4me
09-02-2013, 04:45 PM
The release of Ta’amu and Dwyer may be a sign that GM Kevin Colbert has re-defined his strategy, but it remains centered on the “now”.

The reaction was mixed to the news of the release of NT Alameda Ta'amu (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/155023/alameda-ta-amu) and RB Jonathan Dwyer (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108581/jonathan-dwyer). As BTSC's own Steel34D and Ivan Cole out, the pros and cons of Dwyer's performance after three years of film on this 6th round draft pick was not convincing enough to outweigh the financial leverage the acquisition of Felix Jones (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34525/felix-jones) brought to the equation...........

Read more @ http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/9/2/4686066/steelers-roster-cuts-kevin-colbert-2013

steeldawg
09-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Damn, did I write that?:lol:

Craic
09-02-2013, 05:44 PM

This was written after camp when there was legitimate reason to make judgements, and it seems as if it was due to the pickup of Felix Jones, not an unproven draft pick being given the position. So I doubt you wrote it.

steeldawg
09-02-2013, 05:47 PM
This was written after camp when there was legitimate reason to make judgements, and it seems as if it was due to the pickup of Felix Jones, not an unproven draft pick being given the position. So I doubt you wrote it.

Ya I was joking I know I didn't write it, I was just saying that because he said exactly what I was saying about dwyer in the other thread. I never get tired of being right!

Steeldude
09-02-2013, 06:28 PM

No. If you wrote it then it would have read, "It's not a RB's job to fight for yards. If there is no hole he doesn't need to try". Your entire outlook on Dwyer is skewed because you dislike the fact he unseated Mendenhall.

It appears the Steelers have a group of fragile RBs. Bell has yet to prove a single thing in the NFL.

steeldawg
09-02-2013, 06:36 PM
No. If you wrote it then it would have read, "It's not a RB's job to fight for yards. If there is no hole he doesn't need to try". Your entire outlook on Dwyer is skewed because you dislike the fact he unseated Mendenhall.

It appears the Steelers have a group of fragile RBs. Bell has yet to prove a single thing in the NFL.

Lol, keep crying as everything I said was going to happen continues to happen! The fact you favor dwyer over mendenhall, bell, jones, and howlings shows just how little you know about football. Don't mess with the champ!

Count Steeler
09-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Lol, keep crying as everything I said was going to happen continues to happen! The fact you favor dwyer over mendenhall, bell, jones, and howlings shows just how little you know about football. Don't mess with champ!

Don't get personal. Content deleted.

Steeldude
09-03-2013, 03:58 AM
Lol, keep crying as everything I said was going to happen continues to happen! The fact you favor dwyer over mendenhall, bell, jones, and howlings shows just how little you know about football. Don't mess with the champ!

I don't care that Dwyer was cut.

How is Mendenhall doing on the Steelers? Wait, how could they let him go? You said he was the best back? Where is Wallace? If he was so great why did the Steelers let him walk?

shows just how little you know about football

Yet you are the one who says a WR doesn't have to fight for a jump ball if jumping is not his skill-set...lol. You also confirmed that if you were the GM you wouldn't care if a player tried or not. Now what were you saying about football knowledge?

You judge players on personal feelings.

steeldawg
09-03-2013, 05:51 AM
I don't care that Dwyer was cut.

How is Mendenhall doing on the Steelers? Wait, how could they let him go? You said he was the best back? Where is Wallace? If he was so great why did the Steelers let him walk?

Yet you are the one who says a WR doesn't have to fight for a jump ball if jumping is not his skill-set...lol. You also confirmed that if you were the GM you wouldn't care if a player tried or not. Now what were you saying about football knowledge?

You judge players on personal feelings.

Mendy is the starter in Arizona and last year he was the best back on this team but he was sidelined with a pretty big injury. And in case you haven't noticed every back is gone from last season except Isaac Redman. "The steelers let Wallace walk", lol how can you even say that with a straight face the steelers offered Wallace a 50 million dollar contract and he turned them down,so you where saying?????? That is not what I said and I do not judge players on personal feelings if your going to sit there and tell me that rashard mendenhall and mike Wallace where not productive players then you have no idea what your talking about. I said I don't expect Wallace to come down with jump balls because that's not his skill set its not what he does well, I don't think anybody who knows anything about football would expect mike Wallace to be a jump ball receiver. Just as I don't think you will see us throwing jump ball fades to Antonio brown and manny sanders, because due to their size and skill set the chances of that being successful are very slim. Again come back when you learn something about football if you need help you can email me, until then stop tugging on supermans cape!

GoSlash27
09-03-2013, 06:17 AM

I doubt it. It's got too much punctuation. :boink:

Steeldude
09-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Mendy is the starter in Arizona and last year he was the best back on this team but he was sidelined with a pretty big injury. And in case you haven't noticed every back is gone from last season except Isaac Redman. "The steelers let Wallace walk", lol how can you even say that with a straight face the steelers offered Wallace a 50 million dollar contract and he turned them down,so you where saying?????? That is not what I said and I do not judge players on personal feelings if your going to sit there and tell me that rashard mendenhall and mike Wallace where not productive players then you have no idea what your talking about. I said I don't expect Wallace to come down with jump balls because that's not his skill set its not what he does well, I don't think anybody who knows anything about football would expect mike Wallace to be a jump ball receiver. Just as I don't think you will see us throwing jump ball fades to Antonio brown and manny sanders, because due to their size and skill set the chances of that being successful are very slim. Again come back when you learn something about football if you need help you can email me, until then stop tugging on supermans cape!

According to the games and stats Dwyer was the best back last year.

Mendenhall: 51 carries, 182 yards, 3.6YPC
Dwyer: 156 carries, 623 yards, 4.0YPC

Explain to me and everyone else how Mendenhall was the best RB on the team in 2012.

the steelers offered Wallace a 50 million dollar contract

Exactly, so the Steelers didn't see him being worth over $50 million. Didn't you say he was worth much, much more? If you want to bring up cap money then the same can be said for Dwyer. Jones is a cheaper option. You said he is better than Brown. So why have they retained Brown?

Again come back when you learn something about football

Like your belief that WRs don't have to fight for passes or try? Or rookies do not need to play a single down to be given starter status? Is that the knowledge you speak of...lol?

Mendenhall was an average RB. His career in Pittsburgh shows it. Wallace is a WR with a poor work ethic on the field and poor hands/fundamentals. He was a one-trick pony. You admitted all he brings is a good 40-time.

because due to their size

Aren't Brown and Wallace both 6' or over? How tall do you think DBs are in the NFL?

steeldawg
09-03-2013, 05:01 PM
I doubt it. It's got too much punctuation. :boink:

Lol, touché!

steeldawg
09-03-2013, 05:14 PM
According to the games and stats Dwyer was the best back last year.

Mendenhall: 51 carries, 182 yards, 3.6YPC
Dwyer: 156 carries, 623 yards, 4.0YPC

Explain to me and everyone else how Mendenhall was the best RB on the team in 2012.

Exactly, so the Steelers didn't see him being worth over $50 million. Didn't you say he was worth much, much more? If you want to bring up cap money then the same can be said for Dwyer. Jones is a cheaper option. You said he is better than Brown. So why have they retained Brown?

Like your belief that WRs don't have to fight for passes or try? Or rookies do not need to play a single down to be given starter status? Is that the knowledge you speak of...lol?

Mendenhall was an average RB. His career in Pittsburgh shows it. Wallace is a WR with a poor work ethic on the field and poor hands/fundamentals. He was a one-trick pony. You admitted all he brings is a good 40-time.

Aren't Brown and Wallace both 6' or over? How tall do you think DBs are in the NFL?

We offered Wallace 50 million dollars because we were cap strapped and couldn't afford to go higher! We didn't go higher not because we didn't think he was worth it but because we simply could not go higher. Brown is 5'10 and posted one of the worst vertical jumps at his combine ,Wallace is 6'0 not a great leaper, Nfl Db's heights range from 5'9''- 6'2'' they are the same size. Wallace has world class speed, why in the hell would teams want him covered trying to jump over guys to catch footballs that is a ridiculous strategy for a guy with that speed. You think the dolphins signed him to that contract so he could slow down to out jump people, no way no how case closed. wallaces game is based on speed not size or physicality that's what makes him dangerous that's what you pay him to do.

Steeldude
09-04-2013, 11:40 AM
We offered Wallace 50 million dollars because we were cap strapped and couldn't afford to go higher! We didn't go higher not because we didn't think he was worth it but because we simply could not go higher. Brown is 5'10 and posted one of the worst vertical jumps at his combine ,Wallace is 6'0 not a great leaper, Nfl Db's heights range from 5'9''- 6'2'' they are the same size. Wallace has world class speed, why in the hell would teams want him covered trying to jump over guys to catch footballs that is a ridiculous strategy for a guy with that speed. You think the dolphins signed him to that contract so he could slow down to out jump people, no way no how case closed. wallaces game is based on speed not size or physicality that's what makes him dangerous that's what you pay him to do.

Ah, but if he is as great as you claim he is then why didn't the Steelers snub Brown's contract or make other arrangements?

why in the hell would teams want him covered trying to jump over guys to catch footballs that is a ridiculous strategy

Again, you fail to understand this simple concept. Is every pass on target? No. So if one sails high the WR has to do everything he can do to catch the pass. No one has said or implied that the strategy with Wallace would be to throw him jump balls. You said he doesn't have to try for them. So DBs, in general, are not very tall. This doesn't mean a WR can disregard passes that are not on target. Fyi - Brown has a 33.5" vertical while Wallace has a 40" vertical.

So you agree again that Wallace only has a good 40-time, nothing more.

Dwinsgames
09-04-2013, 11:48 AM

steeldawg 's logic is because he was drafted in the first round ...

other than that NOTHING points towards that conclusion

Master Blaster
09-05-2013, 07:22 AM
Ah, but if he is as great as you claim he is then why didn't the Steelers snub Brown's contract or make other arrangements?

Again, you fail to understand this simple concept. Is every pass on target? No. So if one sails high the WR has to do everything he can do to catch the pass. No one has said or implied that the strategy with Wallace would be to throw him jump balls. You said he doesn't have to try for them. So DBs, in general, are not very tall. This doesn't mean a WR can disregard passes that are not on target. Fyi - Brown has a 33.5" vertical while Wallace has a 40" vertical.

So you agree again that Wallace only has a good 40-time, nothing more.

I'd love to read his reasoning for why he thinks Mendenhall was the best RB on the team
least season. It seems to me that it has more to do with Mendenhall's draft status and pre injury stats than the reality of his being on injured reserve to start the season. In addition, when Mendenhall returned to the lineup he was awful. In fact, he fumbled his way back to the bench and eventually out the door.

I laughed out loud when I read steeldawg's comment on Wallace's role as a receiver, especially as it relates to his fighting for passes by jumping. It is patently ridiculous to say that it is not in Wallace's job description to jump for high passes. It sure as heck is in his job description. Receivers are expected to catch any ball that is near them even the ones that are high, yet catchable. That's what separates the elite receivers from the rest. It's also why they get paid millions as professionals. if I was a coach and saw my receiver refusing to jump and fight for position on a pass he'd get his butt reamed for being a gutless wimp.

steeldawg
09-05-2013, 09:41 AM
I'd love to read his reasoning for why he thinks Mendenhall was the best RB on the team
least season. It seems to me that it has more to do with Mendenhall's draft status and pre injury stats than the reality of his being on injured reserve to start the season. In addition, when Mendenhall returned to the lineup he was awful. In fact, he fumbled his way back to the bench and eventually out the door.

I laughed out loud when I read steeldawg's comment on Wallace's role as a receiver, especially as it relates to his fighting for passes by jumping. It is patently ridiculous to say that it is not in Wallace's job description to jump for high passes. It sure as heck is in his job description. Receivers are expected to catch any ball that is near them even the ones that are high, yet catchable. That's what separates the elite receivers from the rest. It's also why they get paid millions as professionals. if I was a coach and saw my receiver refusing to jump and fight for position on a pass he'd get his butt reamed for being a gutless wimp.

I said it wasn't in his job description to fight for passes? Would you care to quote that? What I said is expecting wallace to be successful in jump ball situations is dumb because its not a strong point of his game. So therefore a team signing wallace would not pay him with the expectation of him out muscling DBS for jump balls. Also mendenhall was the best option at Rb last season any one that would argue that any back we had on our roster last season is a better back than mendenhall is clueless.

Master Blaster
09-05-2013, 11:48 AM
I said it wasn't in his job description to fight for passes? Would you care to quote that? What I said is expecting wallace to be successful in jump ball situations is dumb because its not a strong point of his game. So therefore a team signing wallace would not pay him with the expectation of him out muscling DBS for jump balls. Also mendenhall was the best option at Rb last season any one that would argue that any back we had on our roster last season is a better back than mendenhall is clueless.
Obviously, you are the clueless one because Mendenhall did nothing to prove that nonsense right. What about what I said about his having fumblitise did you not understand? He got benched because of it. What did he do better than any of the other backs that makes you think that he was their best option? What game or body of work are you basing your opinion on?

As for Wallace your logic is seriously flawed. He was signed on the fact that he has blazing speed, but that does not, in any way, obsolve him of his unwillingness to fight for jump balls. He is a professional and to sit there and say that he was not expected to out muscle DB's for jump balls is splitting hairs. He may not out muscle DB's, but rest assured that he was most certainly expected to use his forty inch vertical jump ability to out jump DB's for the ball. Hence the reason why, during the combine, a premium is placed on a receiver's vertical jump ability.

Steeldude
09-05-2013, 03:12 PM

Check out his answer to this question I asked him...

Steeldude: You are the GM. You just signed a WR to a multi-million dollar contract. Do you expect him to try to catch every pass thrown his way?

Steeldawg: No I dont.

Don't forget his blind Mendenhall support is also based on his bitterness over Dwyer taking his spot.

Steeldude
09-05-2013, 03:23 PM
I said it wasn't in his job description to fight for passes?

You need to review your comments again. Also, don't you remember saying if he has a defender beat by 10 yards then why should he have to fight for the ball? Because it's his job. Again, for the hundredth time, not every pass is going to be on target. No one has said or implied that Wallace should be used as a jump ball WR.

steeldawg
09-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Wallace greatest receiver on the planet 235 rec 4042yds 17.2ypc 32tds pro bowler leads the league in catches over 40yds and he has done all of this without trying! Steeldude your right if this is what you can do not trying maybe we should convince all of our receivers not to try also! Lol yep not trying at all and apparently a big market for guys who don't try too lets look at the free agency offers, steelers 50 million, dolphins 60 million, Vikings 70 million. I heard also the dolphins are really going to utilize wallaces speed by throwing jump balls, appearently he is faster when he stops. As far as mendy fumbling well lets look at the numbers mendy 9 fumbles in 864 carries and 77 receptions that's 941 touches , dwyer 2 fumbles 181 carries 19 receptions that's 200 touches, Mendy in a much larger body of work actually fumbles less frequently than dwyer. We also saw dwyer put the ball on the ground again in preason.

- - - Updated - - -

You need to review your comments again. Also, don't you remember saying if he has a defender beat by 10 yards then why should he have to fight for the ball? Because it's his job. Again, for the hundredth time, not every pass is going to be on target. No one has said or implied that Wallace should be used as a jump ball WR.

Ok I will review them what thread are they in?

steeldawg
09-05-2013, 04:02 PM

Ya why should he have to fight for passes if he has a guy beat by ten yards that ball should be put on him, Im not saying he wont fight for the ball or don't fight for the ball, im saying he shouldn't have too because he is wide open. Its not easy to run full tilt with your head down look up and try to adjust and catch a pass 40-60yds down the field let alone to now have to stop run back and jump over somebody to make a catch. But like I said Wallace leads the league in deep catches so nobody has been doing it as well as him.

Dwinsgames
09-05-2013, 04:17 PM
trying to rationalize with stealdawg is an exercise in/of futility ......

steeldawg
09-05-2013, 04:32 PM
trying to rationalize with stealdawg is an exercise in/of futility ......

Then stop trying.

Craic
09-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Then stop trying.

http://johndohrmann.com/Yahoo_status_gallery/assets/images/emoticons/raised_eyebrows.png Did I really just read that?

Count Steeler
09-05-2013, 07:34 PM
http://johndohrmann.com/Yahoo_status_gallery/assets/images/emoticons/raised_eyebrows.png Did I really just read that?

Unfortunately, yes.

Steeldude
09-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Ya why should he have to fight for passes if he has a guy beat by ten yards

This question has been answered too many times to count. Pay attention. It is a WR's JOB to catch every pass thrown his way.

Can anyone else explain this to Steeldawg?

Dwinsgames
09-06-2013, 06:37 AM
This question has been answered too many times to count. Pay attention. It is a WR's JOB to catch every pass thrown his way.

Can anyone else explain this to Steeldawg?

it would be energy wasted in pressing the keys on the keyboard

Master Blaster
09-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Wallace greatest receiver on the planet 235 rec 4042yds 17.2ypc 32tds pro bowler leads the league in catches over 40yds and he has done all of this without trying! Steeldude your right if this is what you can do not trying maybe we should convince all of our receivers not to try also! Lol yep not trying at all and apparently a big market for guys who don't try too lets look at the free agency offers, steelers 50 million, dolphins 60 million, Vikings 70 million. I heard also the dolphins are really going to utilize wallaces speed by throwing jump balls, appearently he is faster when he stops. As far as mendy fumbling well lets look at the numbers mendy 9 fumbles in 864 carries and 77 receptions that's 941 touches , dwyer 2 fumbles 181 carries 19 receptions that's 200 touches, Mendy in a much larger body of work actually fumbles less frequently than dwyer. We also saw dwyer put the ball on the ground again in preason.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I will review them what thread are they in?
That was a feeble attempt at avoiding my point regarding Mendenhall's fumbling problem, after he was cleared to return to play last season. At no time did I make a comparison to Mendenhall's fumble stats vs Dwyer's. The premis of my comment was based on your sycophantic and erroneous statement that Mendenhall's was their best option at R.B. Hence the reason why I challenged you to prove via his body of work that he was their best option. The fact of the matter is, you can't. You can't because you're basing your opinion on Mendenhall's pre injury stats and not the reality that existed with him at the beginning of last season and throughout. The film doesn't lie and once Mendenhall returned to the field it was obvious that he was not their best option at R.B. We saw a R.B. that was apprehensive, (still not 100% healed) and never regained his confidence because he was unsure if his knee would hold up. He fumbled twice in crucial moments. That and Mendenhall's apprehensiveness was all Tomlin needed to see for him to bench him. Mendenhall proved, beyond the shadow of doubt, that he clearly was not their best option at R.B.

steeldawg
09-06-2013, 02:16 PM
That was a feeble attempt at avoiding my point regarding Mendenhall's fumbling problem, after he was cleared to return to play last season. At no time did I make a comparison to Mendenhall's fumble stats vs Dwyer's. The premis of my comment was based on your sycophantic and erroneous statement that Mendenhall's was their best option at R.B. Hence the reason why I challenged you to prove via his body of work that he was their best option. The fact of the matter is, you can't. You can't because you're basing your opinion on Mendenhall's pre injury stats and not the reality that existed with him at the beginning of last season and throughout. The film doesn't lie and once Mendenhall returned to the field it was obvious that he was not their best option at R.B. We saw a R.B. that was apprehensive, (still not 100% healed) and never regained his confidence because he was unsure if his knee would hold up. He fumbled twice in crucial moments. That and Mendenhall's apprehensiveness was all Tomlin needed to see for him to bench him. Mendenhall proved, beyond the shadow of doubt, that he clearly was not their best option at R.B.

they all fumbled last season mendy by far the most talented back on the roster last season. we didn't play him we ended up with one of the worst rushing attacks in the league. /I think not playing him in the end only proved that he was best running back because without him in there we couldn't run it. nothing more to say his body of work proves he was the best back on our roster last season. Compare all the rbs body of work and tell me mendy wasn't the best running back on our roster. they didn't think we had a better option that's why we went running back by committee instead of sticking with one guy, and ya tomlin sat him at the end of the year but it wasn't because the other backs where better than him, and that was evident in the results.

Obviously im talking about him when he's healthy, he was our best option at rb if he is injured then you got a running back by committee but that doesn't change the fact that he was the best and number 1 option. which brings me back to my original point that dwyer didn't unseat mendy injuries took him out his job, had he he not been injured he was our number 1 back.

Craic
09-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Obviously, you are the clueless one because Mendenhall did nothing to prove that nonsense right. What about what I said about his having fumblitise did you not understand? He got benched because of it. What did he do better than any of the other backs that makes you think that he was their best option? What game or body of work are you basing your opinion on?

This is just out and out wrong. Go back and check the numbers. Mendenhall was one of the better protectors of the football over his period with the Steelers. He protected it better than Bettis ever did. Those are the numbers and there's no way around that.

You can argue that Mendenhall had a propensity to fumble at the most inopportune times, but isn't every fumble done at an inopportune time?

Count Steeler
09-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Talent and head in the right place are both vital for a successful player. Mendenhall had more talent than any back on our team last year. However, his head checked out before the season. Partially because of the injury, partially because he is a jerk.

Dwyer, had shown flashes of brilliance in his career here, but lacks the commitment to be a winner. You can't be checking out after carrying the ball on 2 plays well into the season.

Redman can't get and stay healthy. It concerns me that he can't seem to go a long stretch without some physical problem.

Bell, hope the kid has it, cause we need it.

Jones and LSH can fill in, hopefully, as needed.

Craic
09-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Talent and head in the right place are both vital for a successful player. Mendenhall had more talent than any back on our team last year. However, his head checked out before the season. Partially because of the injury, partially because he is a jerk.

Dwyer, had shown flashes of brilliance in his career here, but lacks the commitment to be a winner. You can't be checking out after carrying the ball on 2 plays well into the season.

Redman can't get and stay healthy. It concerns me that he can't seem to go a long stretch without some physical problem.

Bell, hope the kid has it, cause we need it.

Jones and LSH can fill in, hopefully, as needed.

I'm really wondering if we're looking at our number one and two backs with these two. Bell? so far he hasn't even proven he can stay healthy at the level of NFL practice.

Count Steeler
09-06-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm really wondering if we're looking at our number one and two backs with these two. Bell? so far he hasn't even proven he can stay healthy at the level of NFL practice.

I think we will be, because I really don't see Redman lasting more than a game or 2. That leaves Jones and LSH to carry the load until Bell is ready. And when he gets ready, will he be able to stay on the field? And then, of course, how will our O Line hold up?

Master Blaster
09-06-2013, 04:13 PM
This is just out and out wrong. Go back and check the numbers. Mendenhall was one of the better protectors of the football over his period with the Steelers. He protected it better than Bettis ever did. Those are the numbers and there's no way around that.

You can argue that Mendenhall had a propensity to fumble at the most inopportune times, but isn't every fumble done at an inopportune time?
Again, my comment was not based on his career stats, but rather his 2012 season. Therefore, given he was coming off of a knee injury, (which I don't believe he was fully healed from), his lack of playing time, in a new offense, and his piss poor attitude, he was NOT the best RB on the roster last season. The fact that he got benched proved that he wasn't.

Craic
09-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Again, my comment was not based on his career stats, but rather his 2012 season. Therefore, given he was coming off of a knee injury, (which I don't believe he was fully healed from), his lack of playing time, in a new offense, and his piss poor attitude, he was NOT the best RB on the roster last season. The fact that he got benched proved that he wasn't.

Ah, if you're just going with last year, then it's a bit of a different ball game. However, he was still no worse in the ball control department than anyone else. Getting benched last year wasn't because he wasn't the best RB, it was because he wasn't the best fit. There is a major difference between the two, and it was mainly driven by his attitude.

Dwinsgames
09-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Ah, if you're just going with last year, then it's a bit of a different ball game. However, he was still no worse in the ball control department than anyone else. Getting benched last year wasn't because he wasn't the best RB, it was because he wasn't the best fit. There is a major difference between the two, and it was mainly driven by his attitude.

actually ....

I think he would be a good fit from a skill set perspective for this offense , he just did not have the mental makeup to be a Steeler RB and poor work ethic in this town buys you a ticket out of town on the fast train ...

he was benched over poor work ethic and poor results , he got further into the doghouse by not showing up on game day when the team suspended him for 1 week ..