PDA

View Full Version : After first week, Leftwich still is top quarterback

LLT
08-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Steelers Notebook: After first week, Leftwich still is top quarterback
Saturday, August 07, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201008/20100807leftwich_330.jpg

The Steelers completed their first week of training camp the way they began in the spring, with Byron Leftwich leading the way at quarterback.

Coach Mike Tomlin has not publicly announced his starting quarterback for the first four games that Ben Roethlisberger will miss but he has been consistent by his actions. Leftwich is No. 1, and although Dennis Dixon had an excellent first week throwing the ball in Latrobe, he is likely to remain there.

"I feel good, man. I love this system," Leftwich said of Bruce Arians' offense. "It allows the quarterback to make plays. It allows you to use your mind. You got to make decisions out there. There's a lot they put on the quarterback to make and I like being in that situation.

"I feel real good about it. I feel real good about this situation. I feel real good about this offense and I feel real good about this team."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10219/1078402-66.stm#ixzz0vubZOetU

fansince'76
08-07-2010, 04:52 AM
Does Dixon really look that bad? Because from what I've been reading, Leftwich has looked like crap.

LLT
08-07-2010, 04:55 AM
Does Dixon really look that bad? Because from what I've been reading, Leftwich has looked like crap.

In one drill yesterday...Dixon was 0-5 and threw an interception. But I wont judge his entire camp by one bad day.

HometownGal
08-07-2010, 06:35 AM
I've always loved Lefty's positive 'tude both out on the field and in the LR. :thumbsup: I'm going to spend some time focusing on him when XT and I are at TC on Monday, but I have every confidence in the world in him. I believe Coach T will give Dix his shot in some preseason games but I don't believe Dix's time is now and I'd much prefer having Lefty out there for those first 4 games. We'll be able to see in the preseason games, though, who is the better fit to replace Ben, but my money is still on Byron.

Kaeg
08-07-2010, 07:14 AM

Yea, that's what I find odd as well. Most things I've heard were a bit more positive about Dixon than Leftwich up until about yesterday or so.

SteelerSal
08-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Yea, that's what I find odd as well. Most things I've heard were a bit more positive about Dixon than Leftwich up until about yesterday or so.

I hear ya...we need more members here that have attended camp to update us with what they have seen with both Dixon and Lefty instead of us having to get info from the media.

Nadroj 20
08-07-2010, 10:42 AM

The day I was there he didnt look good at all...Dixon was ok.

The Duke
08-07-2010, 03:50 PM

Yeah, seems like Dixon's good in practice, but bad on game.... well scrimmage. And it was only one

Lefty has been the opposite

We need you ben!!

siss
08-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Ben can not be replaced. Lefty is nothing but a stunt double!!!

zulater
08-07-2010, 07:04 PM

I don't know if there's a quarterback in the league other than Ben who can look good behind our line in front of our defense. Leftwich will be able to win games for the Steelers. He wont look spectacular, but the guy's a pro and can get it done good enough to keep our season from evaporating in Ben's absense.