PDA

View Full Version : Steelers practice squad announced

Spike
09-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Steelers Sign Eight Players to Practice Squad

The Steelers have signed eight players to their practice squad, the team announced today.

The eight players include offensive linemen Chris Hubbard and Joe Long, running back Alvester Alexander, defensive end Brian Arnfelt, linebackers Alan Baxter and Terence Garvin, defensive back Devin Smith and wide receiver Justin Brown.

The Steelers resume practice on Monday, September 2, in preparation for their Week 1 matchup against the Tennessee Titans. Kickoff at Heinz Field is set for 1 p.m.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Sign-Eight-Players-to-Practice-Squad/942239e9-74a2-4bf0-a459-01ce377171f1

-----------------------

finally - the end to all the squawking about who made the team

Let the games begin!

Shoes
09-01-2013, 01:16 PM
I'm happy to seen Arnfelt, Baxter and Brown made it.

Chidi29
09-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Wonder if Hawthorne will be back if/when Spaeth goes to the return to play list. Would be surprised if he was gone altogether.

SteelerFanInStl
09-01-2013, 02:31 PM
With as bad as our DBs are, Hawthorne needs to be on the PS.

TheRuneMeister
09-01-2013, 03:33 PM
I'm just happy that guys like Baxter an Brown cleared waivers. I was worried about Baxter. Makes a lot of sense signing Alexander too with RB health issues.

HollywoodSteel
09-01-2013, 05:35 PM
I'm not sure if Ta'amu was still PS eligible but he's gone. Cardinals signed him.

Chidi29
09-01-2013, 05:38 PM
I'm not sure if Ta'amu was still PS eligible but he's gone. Cardinals signed him.

He was. I seriously doubt we were going to even sign him there though. Think we just wanted to move on.

- - - Updated - - -

So both of our 2nd team ILBs pretty much all of camp, McFadden/Rolle, couldn't crack the top 61.

tube517
09-01-2013, 06:19 PM

Surprised they didn't sign Dwyer

Chidi29
09-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Surprised they didn't sign Dwyer

That's one position they're stocked up on.

Steeldude
09-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Wonder if Hawthorne will be back if/when Spaeth goes to the return to play list. Would be surprised if he was gone altogether.

Ditto

salamander
09-01-2013, 07:39 PM

Pittsburgh west strikes again!

KeiselPower99
09-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Dwyer wasnt eligible for the PS. Happy to see Long back. I feel he could be better than Gilbert.

steelreserve
09-01-2013, 09:28 PM

With as bad as our DBs are, Hawthorne needs to be on the PS.

Seriously, I hope that guy is back. Beyond our starting two CBs, we don't even have anyone worth putting on the field. If Allen or Ike gets hurt, we seriously would be better off just saying screw it, leave Taylor to cover everyone and rush the other 10 guys. That's how well most of those Bozos cover. We hardly got a look at Hawthorne, but he can't be any worse.

Also, I hope Spaeth goes on the regular IR, not designated for return; the team will probably be better. Waste of a roster spot IMO.

Psycho Ward 86
09-02-2013, 01:51 AM
Also, I hope Spaeth goes on the regular IR, not designated for return; the team will probably be better. Waste of a roster spot IMO.

agreed. i feel like with our lack of luck in the injury department, we'll snag an injury bug to a more important player and need to use it on him instead

stillers4me
09-02-2013, 09:08 AM

Count Steeler
09-02-2013, 10:40 AM

Perhaps there is hope in Raiderland.

Bluecoat96
09-02-2013, 03:52 PM

Poor kid. Nobody deserves that. Lol

NCSteeler
09-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Seriously, I hope that guy is back. Beyond our starting two CBs, we don't even have anyone worth putting on the field. If Allen or Ike gets hurt, we seriously would be better off just saying screw it, leave Taylor to cover everyone and rush the other 10 guys. That's how well most of those Bozos cover. We hardly got a look at Hawthorne, but he can't be any worse.

Here's your waste of spaeth... I mean space. I just don't see him helping this team mid as a mid season replacement. Total dumb move

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/04/steelers-place-matt-spaeth-on-injured-reserve-with-ability-to-return/

Craic
09-04-2013, 03:46 PM
I just don't get the Spaeth Hate.

I mean, when we're talking about a second TE, what do you want? Someone that can block, someone that can catch the occasional ball, and someone that can protect the ball when it's thrown to them.

Spaeth—total career games started = 55

Protecting the football
Total fumbles 1
Fumbles lost 0
Fumbles recovered 1
Receptions
Targeted 79 times
Receptions 49
Percent = 62%

That number puts him in the company of Antonio Brown, Dallas Clark, Roddy White, Aaron Hernandez, and better than Antonio Gates, Victor Cruz, and Anquan Bolden. For a second string TE, that's dang good company to be in. Granted, it's not Heath Miller's 70.3% reception rate, but Heath Miller should not be held out as the standard. He's one of the best NFL TE's in the game.

Blocking
This has always been his forte, and he is a very good Run blocker and decent pass blocking, something we absolutely need on this line.

So yeah, exactly what is up with Spaeth hate? Seems to me that for the position he's asked to play, a second team TE, he's a pretty good role player.

Dwinsgames
09-04-2013, 04:08 PM

I mean, when we're talking about a second TE, what do you want? Someone that can block, someone that can catch the occasional ball, and someone that can protect the ball when it's thrown to them.

Protecting the football
Total fumbles 1
Fumbles lost 0
Fumbles recovered 1
Receptions
Targeted 79 times
Receptions 49
Percent = 62%

That number puts him in the company of Antonio Brown, Dallas Clark, Roddy White, Aaron Hernandez, and better than Antonio Gates, Victor Cruz, and Anquan Bolden. For a second string TE, that's dang good company to be in. Granted, it's not Heath Miller's 70.3% reception rate, but Heath Miller should not be held out as the standard. He's one of the best NFL TE's in the game.

Blocking
This has always been his forte, and he is a very good Run blocker and decent pass blocking, something we absolutely need on this line.

So yeah, exactly what is up with Spaeth hate? Seems to me that for the position he's asked to play, a second team TE, he's a pretty good role player.

guessing its this ....

He Can STRETCH the field " Kevin Colbert " on Matt Spaeth right after they drafted him

and the fact we at the time had much more pressing needs and NOBODY seen him as BPA or even BPA at his pos left on the board

couple them together with a player who never really did much to merit his draft status and you have player hate ....

salamander
09-04-2013, 04:42 PM

Protecting the football
Total fumbles 1
Fumbles lost 0
Fumbles recovered 1
Receptions
Targeted 79 times
Receptions 49
Percent = 62%

Blocking

I'm with you. I don't understand all the hate either.

NCSteeler
09-04-2013, 04:44 PM
I've never seen him as more than average. Average is not the kind of player I waste my special IR exemption on. If he was more than average we would have not let him leave to Chitown, if he was more than average he would still be in Chitown. He's just another TE on a long list of 2nd and 3rd string TEs.

Craic
09-04-2013, 04:47 PM
guessing its this ....

He Can STRETCH the field " Kevin Colbert " on Matt Spaeth right after they drafted him

and the fact we at the time had much more pressing needs and NOBODY seen him as BPA or even BPA at his pos left on the board

couple them together with a player who never really did much to merit his draft status and you have player hate ....

Third round? Yeah, I think that's a little high for him. In hindsight, I'd see that as fourth round, or more likely bottom fourth round numbers. So I can see what you're saying. That doesn't, however (and I know you weren't saying this, Dwins, so I'm speaking in general here), negate what he's done on the field for the role he's been asked to play. Was he a disappointing third round pick? Yeah, I can say that. But a waste of a roster spot? You have to be kidding me. Not with those numbers for a number two TE.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never seen him as more than average. Average is not the kind of player I waste my special IR exemption on. If he was more than average we would have not let him leave to Chitown, if he was more than average he would still be in Chitown. He's just another TE on a long list of 2nd and 3rd string TEs.

Okay, that's fair . . . but I'd disagree with you on him being average. Remember that our biggest problem is run blocking, followed closely by pass blocking, and he is most definitely above average in both of those categories. That makes him more important to a team that is wanting to re-establish a run game.

steeldawg
09-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Its hard to make a judgement on speath one way or the other we really haven't used him in the way we use heath miller so its hard to compare. Of course a guy is going look average in the passing game when you only use him to run block.

ALLD
09-04-2013, 05:57 PM
The be back players never work out. When they leave they should be gone for good.

SteelerFanInStl
09-04-2013, 06:04 PM

This.

86WARD
09-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Spaeth is good for the OLine and blocking. He's not here for his hands. If he catches one pass, that's more than what he's in Pittsburgh for. Blocker and that's pretty much the story on why he was signed.