PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Wallace facing difficult transition

LLT
08-07-2010, 04:45 AM
On the Steelers: Wallace facing difficult transition
Saturday, August 07, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201008/20100807wallace_500.jpg

It all came so easily for Mike Wallace last season. See Mike Run. See Mike Run Fast. Throw Mike the Ball. See Mike Catch.

Everyone noticed, too, from the start of training camp through the final game of the season at Miami when he caught a 54-yard touchdown pass in a six-point Steelers victory against the Dolphins. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had to adjust in camp to release his deep passes to Wallace more quickly or else Wallace would outrun them.

As a rookie, Wallace caught 39 passes for 756 yards, tied for the team lead with six touchdown receptions, and he led the NFL with a 19.4-yard average per catch.

"He had a role that for a rookie was very easy: Go deep, clear the field, run certain routes that you ran well and understood," said Bruce Arians, the Steelers' offensive coordinator.

It was simple math compared to the trigonometry assignment Wallace has this season. He moves from being the receiver who runs deep all the time against man-to-man coverage by the opponent's No. 3 cornerback, to replacing Santonio Holmes at split end, where double coverage, shutdown corners and more complicated routes are the norm.

"You're not getting that third corner anymore," Hines Ward said. "You're getting that No. 1 corner who will try to shut you down."

There also are things such as breaking off routes when the quarterback is under siege, the so-called "hot" routes that, if gone unrecognized, can lead to interceptions for touchdowns that can lose a game (re: Santonio Holmes, Cincinnati Bengals, 2009).

"He had no 'hot,' no sight adjustments that he was solely responsible for, to now he has the whole package," Arians explained. "He has to run the entire route tree. He's the backside receiver, he has to be able to sight adjust and know all the protections and on the front side he's now involved in a lot of hots.

"It's like going from 30 percent of the offense to 100 percent."

Having explained the giant leap Wallace must make from his rookie season to this one, Arians and Ward like what they've seen so far.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10219/1078403-66.stm#ixzz0vub2LJU0

Galax Steeler
08-07-2010, 04:58 AM
That is all I am reading about Wallace is good things. I think he can and will beat some of the best corners out there man is season here yet can't wait.

HometownGal
08-07-2010, 06:29 AM
I have no doubt whatsoever that Wallace will make the transition just fine. He proved last season that he is a quality receiver with a plethora of talent all the way around. I'm really excited to watch him in TC this week and looking forward even more to him catching balls , burning the hell out of opposing corners and watching those corners shitting their pants. :thumbsup: :yay3:

Wallace is DA MAN!

SteelerSal
08-07-2010, 08:35 AM
There also are things such as breaking off routes when the quarterback is under siege, the so-called "hot" routes that, if gone unrecognized, can lead to interceptions for touchdowns that can lose a game (re: Santonio Holmes, Cincinnati Bengals, 2009).

"He had no 'hot,' no sight adjustments that he was solely responsible for, to now he has the whole package," Arians explained. "He has to run the entire route tree. He's the backside receiver, he has to be able to sight adjust and know all the protections and on the front side he's now involved in a lot of hots.

This will tell us if, along with his speed and catching ability, does Wallace have the smarts to read defenses and be on the same page with Ben.
I'm sure pushing for him to become our #1 wr for the next 10 plus years!

Having explained the giant leap Wallace must make from his rookie season to this one, Arians and Ward like what they've seen so far.

I read the whole article waiting to read what the final assesment is and the last line says it all.

Wallace108
08-07-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm sure pushing for him to become our #1 wr for the next 10 plus years!

Me too!! I'm trying not to build my expectations of him too high, but man, it's hard not to.

Aside from Wallace, here's something that caught my eye later in the article:

[Wallace] believes that, even with Holmes gone, the Steelers have quality depth at receiver with Ward, Antwaan Randle El, Arnaz Battle, tight end Heath Miller and rookie Emmanuel Sanders, who is, according to Wallace, "a lot further ahead than I was coming out of college, a lot further."

I'm lovin' it!!!

SteelerEmpire
08-07-2010, 10:31 AM
He's a quick study, been playing this game all his life, has superior hands and is physically superior (faster) than any defensive back in the league... therefore my conclusion is that he'll whip a$$...

solardave
08-07-2010, 02:52 PM
With Hines tutoring him I'm sure he will be outstanding this year just like he was last year. I'm expecting big things from him from now on. All corners take notice that Mike Wallace is showing up for the NEW 60 MINUTES!!!

Psycho Ward 86
08-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Even with all the love Santo got before that ugly departure, im surprised no one ever mentioned his inconsistency to pickup on the hot route. From 2007-2009, he's been a scapegoat for quite a few interceptions.

I hope Wallace does a better job.