PDA

View Full Version : LeBeau, the player, was anything but paper lion

LLT
08-07-2010, 04:42 AM
LeBeau, the player, was anything but paper lion
Saturday, August 07, 2010
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201008/20100807lebeau2_500.jpg

Lebeau, currently the Steelers' defensive coordinator will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame today.Modern-day professional football fans, especially those in Pittsburgh, have a keen understanding of Dick LeBeau's contributions to the game as a coach. He is regarded as one of the finest defensive coordinators of all time and is credited with perfecting the zone-blitz defense that has revolutionized the way teams have played the past generation.

But how many of those same fans have a true appreciation for Ricky LeBeau, the defensive back for the Detroit Lions from 1959-72 who was regarded as one of the finest players of his time?

LeBeau was known as Ricky, or sometimes Dickie-Bird, among his Lions teammates. In George Plimpton's best-selling book, "Paper Lion: Confessions of a Last-String Quarterback," LeBeau is described as a young player in the following passage:

"Thin-hipped, built like a high school basketball player, his hair worn longer than most of the others', he was called Ricky, less a diminutive of Richard than derived from a crop of teenage movie stars and singers of the time, all of that name, whose manner and attitude he seemed to cultivate," Plimpton wrote.

It is hard to picture the humble and reserved LeBeau, who will turn 73 next month, in that context, but it is one glimpse into a long forgotten playing career that will finally be recognized today with the game's highest honor: induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

LeBeau and six others, including former Pitt stars Russ Grimm and Rickey Jackson, will be honored in a ceremony today in Canton, Ohio.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10219/1078421-66.stm#ixzz0vuaDp5b4

solardave
08-07-2010, 02:54 PM
I honestly believe he could have covered the best of today's receivers.

Burghfan58
08-07-2010, 03:09 PM
The 171 consecutive games streak is ridiculous. Can't wait to watch tonight and see not only Lebeau but the team and Steeler fans that have invaded Canton.

:tt03::tt02::tt03::tt03::tt02::tt03:

Shea
08-07-2010, 04:15 PM
The 171 consecutive games streak is ridiculous. Can't wait to watch tonight and see not only Lebeau but the team and Steeler fans that have invaded Canton.

:tt03::tt02::tt03::tt03::tt02::tt03:

You and me both.

I'm taping it too because it's gonna be a keeper.

Killer
08-07-2010, 04:48 PM
The whole team is at Canton with him.

QB's - LeBeau had his most int's against Bart Starr and Johnny U - 7 picks each.

12 straight years with at least 3 picks.....and Ike can't get one? It must not rub off.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Nice the see the guys are sporting their terrible towel for Coach LeBeau that was awesome seeing everyone there. :tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

oneforthetoe
08-07-2010, 06:33 PM
That was awesome. Nice to see Franco there on stage. Anybody else spot any other Steelers' Hall of famers?

SteelerSal
08-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Hope you all taped LeBeau's speech....great stuff.!!!!!!

oneforthetoe
08-07-2010, 07:12 PM

It was a great speech. I'm sure some fans of other teams won't like it because of all the present day Steelers' references, but who cares about them. The speech was classic Dick Lebeau - everything was about everybody else instead of himself. A true genuine person. Congrats again.

Now, John Randall's turn. A very good player in his own right.

Burghfan58
08-07-2010, 09:08 PM
That was awesome. Nice to see Franco there on stage. Anybody else spot any other Steelers' Hall of famers?

Joe Greene was there.

Butch
08-07-2010, 09:17 PM
The whole team is at Canton with him.

QB's - LeBeau had his most int's against Bart Starr and Johnny U - 7 picks each.

12 straight years with at least 3 picks.....and Ike can't get one? It must not rub off.

No Ike can't get one but the way Dick spoke of Ike makes you think Ike has a pretty special spot on his Defense. I gotta say even though he can't catch I Like Ike!!!

Killer
08-08-2010, 12:07 AM

I DVR'd the LeBeau segment on the NFL Network presentation It's a keeper.

Awesome - a Steeler's love fest!

He praised the whole defense by name, practically.

did you hear all the moans from the audience when he talked about the 6 SB rings?

ha ha

too cool

tihmtahm
08-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Pretty sure I saw Rod Woodson out there too.