PDA

View Full Version : Should We Be Concerned If The Steelers Go Winless In The Preseason?

polamalubeast
08-29-2013, 03:25 PM
If the Pittsburgh Steelers wind up losing their preseason finale Thursday night against the Carolina Panthers, it will mark only the fourth time in the last 48 seasons that have finished winless in their exhibition games.

In each of the three previous years that the Steelers have gone winless, they have failed to make the playoffs with the last time being 2006. So, should we be concerned if they fail to come out on top on the scoreboard against the Panthers?

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/08/steelers-winless-2013-preseason-history/

Count Steeler
08-29-2013, 03:35 PM
No.

polamalubeast
08-29-2013, 03:38 PM
The last time the Steelers were 0-4 in pre-season(2006), the Steelers have started the season 2-6

Chidi29
08-29-2013, 03:46 PM
No.

This.

tube517
08-29-2013, 03:50 PM
This.

This.

HollywoodSteel
08-29-2013, 04:12 PM
My only concern is for the health of the two starting quarter backs in this final game, should their coaches chose to play them. They are both on my fantasy football team.

steeldawg
08-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Wins and losses don't mean a whole lot in the preseason, im more concerned with the lack of preparation and execution from our starters.

salamander
08-29-2013, 04:38 PM
In 2008, the Lions went 4-0 in the preseason then proceeded to go 0-16 that year. I don't put much stock into preseason records.

GoSlash27
08-29-2013, 04:42 PM
Nope. Winning isn't a priority in the preseason.

silver & black
08-29-2013, 05:06 PM
In 2006 the Raiders went 4-1 in pre season. They went on to 2-14 for the season. Pre season is meaningless to everyone except the coaches and the players trying make the roster.

steelreserve
08-29-2013, 05:30 PM
I'd be moderately concerned. There isn't much correlation between an undefeated preseason and your regular-season success, but historically, there's a very real trend that most teams that went 0-4 haven't done very well. If you really, honest to god don't have your shit together, it makes sense that that would happen. A few teams have bucked that pattern in recent years, but in general the odds are against you.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/672/history-shows-odds-are-against-0-4-patriots

Does that mean we're one of those teams? I don't know. We've shown just enough sloppiness to make me worry that it might be for real.

tube517
08-29-2013, 05:40 PM
2005 Colts went 0-5 in the preseason and then went 13-0 and breezed through the regular season to a 14-2 record. Steelers usually go 2-2 in the preseason so who knows what any of this means.

polamalubeast
08-29-2013, 05:42 PM
2005 Colts went 0-5 in the preseason and then went 13-0 and breezed through the regular season to a 14-2 record. Steelers usually go 2-2 in the preseason so who knows what any of this means.

The Steelers were 19-6 in preseason under Tomlin before this year

polamalubeast
08-29-2013, 05:50 PM
29 teams were 0-4 or 0-5 in the preseason since 1998....Only six teams made the playoffs

The last team to win a Super Bowl after being winless in preseason, it was the redskins in 1982

Chidi29
08-29-2013, 06:24 PM
29 teams were 0-4 or 0-5 in the preseason since 1998....Only six teams made the playoffs

The last team to win a Super Bowl after being winless in preseason, it was the redskins in 1982

Correlation =/= causation

Craic
08-29-2013, 07:15 PM
We have a lot of new guys on the team. Most of them have to get used to the positions, even more so for the backups. That means even more playing time for the second and third string guys, not to mention the QB who is getting used to a system. There's only two important stats to preseason: (1) some kind of numerical stat for how each player played given his opportunity, (2) how many injuries happened in the preseason?

The greater the difference between the first and second is the only statistic that is necessary to pay attention to.

Shoes
08-29-2013, 07:30 PM
No.

zulater
08-29-2013, 07:54 PM
We'll be 0-0 after tonight, just like everyone else. So no.

SteelMayhem72
08-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Preseason all it does is separate the men from the boys...thats all it does!!! No concern here...I saw enough last week from 1st string on offense and defense!

st33lersguy
08-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Win-loss record isn't a concern, what is a concern is how the starters do and they haven't done well, especially the O-line

fansince'76
08-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Win-loss record isn't a concern, what is a concern is how the starters do and they haven't done well, especially the O-line

They looked good in the third game, and that's the only one that even halfway matters.

steelerdude15
08-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Not in the slightest.

st33lersguy
08-29-2013, 08:56 PM
2005 Colts went 0-5 in the preseason and then went 13-0 and breezed through the regular season to a 14-2 record.

Funny about that team going winless in the preseason, they also went winless in the postseason :) (Sorry couldn't resist)

oneforthetoe
08-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Let's put it like this: If they would have won tonight it wouldn't have changed my outlook one bit.

Texasteel
08-29-2013, 09:59 PM
In the preseason I look for improvement in the starting lineup, and I think we saw that. The last game is mostly to fine what names will show up on the final cut list, and the players that are likely to see any playing time after this game did pretty well. No I'm not worried about wins and losses in preseason.

Seven
08-29-2013, 10:02 PM
no

TheRuneMeister
08-29-2013, 10:34 PM
The only reason to worry would be if one was certain that winning the preseason games was the number one priority, and player evaluation took a back seat to that. You might have a situation where you are basically putting players on the field, and doing play calls based on what would be the most benefitial for player evaluation, and in tha case the preseason record goes down the drain.
It does however sound like the players really do want to win these games, so hopefully it doesn't shake their confidence too much.

HollywoodSteel
08-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Correlation =/= causation

No but correlation does = correlation. :)

I don't think anyone would argue that going winless in the preseason causes you to have a bad year, only that you might do badly in the preseason because you suck, which also happens to be why you don't do well in the regular season.

steelreserve
08-30-2013, 12:17 AM
No but correlation does = correlation. :)

I don't think anyone would argue that going winless in the preseason causes you to have a bad year, only that you might do badly in the preseason because you suck, which also happens to be why you don't do well in the regular season.

That's what I'm (moderately) worried about. Not whether you win or lose, but whether you look competent doing it. Two out of three games, the starters looked like crap. Then sort of got it together, but ... maybe. Oh well, nothing to do but wait and see which team really shows up.

Moose
08-30-2013, 06:40 AM
No, although I personnally would like to see at least 1 win. At least having the feeling of going into the regular season with a win under their belt. But, as we all know, preseason is just a way for the coaches to check out all the players, try some plays in the book, change up some of the player's, get game timing down, try things you wouldn't normally try during real game, etc.,etc..

tube517
08-30-2013, 06:48 AM
Funny about that team going winless in the preseason, they also went winless in the postseason :) (Sorry couldn't resist)

Which goes to show what you do in the regular season has little to do with the postseason. We've had some 9-7 or 10-6 SB champs in recent years.

NJarhead
08-30-2013, 07:17 AM
I could have sworn that we went winless in the pre-season in 2001, but apparently I was mistaken. Regardless, the pre-season is beyond meaningless if you're using it to predict what the regular season team will look like.

Dwinsgames
08-30-2013, 08:29 AM
I could have sworn that we went winless in the pre-season in 2001, but apparently I was mistaken. Regardless, the pre-season is beyond meaningless if you're using it to predict what the regular season team will look like.

this ...

the value of preseason is NOT gauging how your team will fair when the chips are down ....

the value is determining who you have as backup personnel ( who makes the team ) ...who is the game not to big for , who are the hidden gems ...separates the guys who are practice players and who are gamers

steelreserve
09-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Anybody remember this? Should we still not be concerned? The offense looked just as lost, if not more, as the preseason.

steeldawg
09-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Anybody remember this? Should we still not be concerned? The offense looked just as lost, if not more, as the preseason.

Lol I guess that really was our offense out there during the preseason

steelreserve
09-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Lol I guess that really was our offense out there during the preseason

That's what I was concerned about.

steeldawg
09-08-2013, 07:05 PM
That's what I was concerned about.

We are who we thought we were

Count Steeler
09-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Well, somebody better get Haley's head out his ass. OR GET A FRIGGIN' O LINE! I know it is going to take time to gel, but shit, the basics should be in place. And how on earth is Whimper now our #1 backup? Confident? Hell no!

Master Blaster
09-08-2013, 07:27 PM
I've never seen this offense make so many inexcusable mental errors. Redman admitted in his post game interview that there were communication break downs, especially on the play where he fumbled the ball. That is inexcusable! That falls squarely on the coaching staff's shoulders, especially Tomlin's and Haley's.

steeldawg
09-08-2013, 07:31 PM
I've never seen this offense make so many inexcusable mental errors. Redman admitted in his post game interview that there were communication break downs, especially on the play where he fumbled the ball. That is inexcusable! That falls squarely on the coaching staff's shoulders, especially Tomlin's and Haley's.

I didn't understand the strange handoff on that play and so close to the line of scrimmage, looked like a poorly designed play.

Heinz Hitman
09-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Maybe the mods should change the title of this thread to "Should we be concerned if the Steelers go winless in the REGULAR season?"

86WARD
09-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Well, somebody better get Haley's head out his ass. OR GET A FRIGGIN' O LINE! I know it is going to take time to gel, but shit, the basics should be in place. And how on earth is Whimper now our #1 backup? Confident? Hell no!

Starting with a Center and move Pouncey to Guard in 2014.

Master Blaster
09-08-2013, 07:44 PM
I didn't understand the strange handoff on that play and so close to the line of scrimmage, looked like a poorly designed play.
Go to the Steelers' official site and listen to what Redman had to say. Mental breakdowns and poor communication are the failure of the coaches to insure that their players know the plays.

steeldawg
09-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Go to the Steelers' official site and listen to what Redman had to say. Mental breakdowns and poor communication are the failure of the coaches to insure that their players know the plays.

Of course its a coaching failure that's what I mean why call such an odd handoff on the goaline its just an unnecessary risk to take.

steelreserve
09-29-2013, 04:52 PM
I'd be moderately concerned. There isn't much correlation between an undefeated preseason and your regular-season success, but historically, there's a very real trend that most teams that went 0-4 haven't done very well. If you really, honest to god don't have your shit together, it makes sense that that would happen. A few teams have bucked that pattern in recent years, but in general the odds are against you.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/672/history-shows-odds-are-against-0-4-patriots

Does that mean we're one of those teams? I don't know. We've shown just enough sloppiness to make me worry that it might be for real.

By the way ... I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and say we should have been worried.

blackngldblood
09-29-2013, 05:00 PM
By the way ... I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and say we should have been worried.

That limb you're on is that of a pretty sturdy oak tree, buddy........

Texasteel
09-29-2013, 05:09 PM
The preseason still doesn't bother me much, the last 4 game are another matter.

Steeldude
09-30-2013, 02:03 AM
It's not if you go winless during pre-season. It's why you went winless. Why are people surprised? They showed no O-line in pre-season. Even in pre-season you block.