PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben or Troy P whos more important to team

Carolina Steelers
05-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Big Ben had a great yr last yr over 4,000 yds passing, 2 WR over 1,000 yds and a RB over 1,000 yds. And still no playoffs. Troy is the QB of the defense when he's not playing we give up an extra TD per game. With Troy healthy and Ben sidelined at least for 4 gms I like our chances of at least going .500 or maybe 1 game above. I think our defense will get back on track this yr with Troy and McFadden back at CB

SteelerSal
05-31-2010, 03:24 PM
I'd have to go with Troy.

SteelerEmpire
05-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Ben can have an outstanding year like he did last season and if Troy would have played we make the playoffs. If Ben has an outstanding season (like last year) and Troy DOES NOT play... we miss the playoffs.

Troy's more important.

ChosenOne
05-31-2010, 04:00 PM
Troy Polamalu.

Nadroj 20
05-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Ben can have an outstanding year like he did last season and if Troy would have played we make the playoffs. If Ben has an outstanding season (like last year) and Troy DOES NOT play... we miss the playoffs.

Troy's more important.

This....i agree completely

tony hipchest
05-31-2010, 04:05 PM
if this is a difficult question for anyone to answer just ask yourself this question...

who would you rather be without for the 1st 6 games for next season, ben or troy?

would you bench troy if it meant rescinding bens suspension?

i think the majority answer would be "no".

tony hipchest
05-31-2010, 04:06 PM
ben is one of the best QB's in the league.

troy is one of the best players in the league (all positions) and perhaps the best athelete.

Godfather
05-31-2010, 04:08 PM
My first instinct was to say Ben based on the record between him and Bradshaw, a time period when we had a lot of great defensive backs.

But as others have pointed out above, Ben had a record-breaking year and we missed the playoffs because we didn't have Troy. Whereas a mediocre quarterback can win a Super Bowl (Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Eli Manning--it just hasn't happened for us).

xX-TSK-Xx
05-31-2010, 04:09 PM
if this is a difficult question for anyone to answer just ask yourself this question...

who would you rather be without for the 1st 6 games for next season, ben or troy?

True. I think without Ben we are able to atleast stay afloat but man a Troy-less secondary last season just sucked. Putting up 99 points is worthless when you give up 100.

Godfather
05-31-2010, 04:09 PM
Hey!! I have more posts than Hipcheese!!

:yay3:

steelpride12
05-31-2010, 04:10 PM
Well speaking the Steelers are a defense based team I think Troy is more important. We all know if he was not injured a lot of last season our secondary would have not been a sore thumb and we would have made the playoffs, where Ben had a mediocre season and a 4,000 yard one and we missed it.

SteelerEmpire
05-31-2010, 04:11 PM
In addition... we've won every game in which Lefty has played in place of Ben when Troy was also playing... if I'm not mistaken...

SteelGhost
05-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Both :chuckle:

Seriously guys, IMHO we need them both to go in the playoffs AND win :noidea:

polamalubeast
05-31-2010, 04:44 PM

:drink:

To win a super bowl, the position of QB is the most important, but Polamalu is very important to the steelers.

Rod Woodson did not win a super bowl with the steelers since the team had no QB.

It's rare that a team wins a super bowl with Trent Dilfer.

I say that without Polamalu and Roethlisberger, the Steelers have not won two Super Bowl, since to his two very special players.

Psycho Ward 86
05-31-2010, 04:51 PM
I really dont think you know shit about football if you think Troy is more important, really. Oh boohoo, Ben made some bad choices and he had a pro-bowl caliber year and we still didnt get in the playoffs, that doesnt make him any less important to the team. He's the 2nd best if not the best QB we've ever had, and we've only found 2 good ones in our 75+ year history. A franchise QB aint a dime a dozen. Replacing Ben with mediocrity would be a lot worse than replacing Troy with mediocrity. Troy isnt the only reason for failure last year. Our entire defense was riddled with injuries, not just Troy.......Brett Keisel, Aaron Smith, Lawrence Timmons, all stalwarts for us.

Troy is a better football player without a doubt, the undisputed finest at his position and possibly every position. But he's not more important.

If you guys thought having a great safety out for most of the year sucked, try recalling the 90's when we had no QB's. BLEH :pout:

SteelGhost
05-31-2010, 04:55 PM
Hey polamalubeast ... here comes the second round :drink:

Burghfan58
05-31-2010, 05:36 PM
My original thought was Troy but Super Bowl 43 would be Arizonas without Ben.

Psycho Ward 86
05-31-2010, 05:41 PM
My original thought was Troy but Super Bowl 43 would be Arizonas without Ben.

Every Steelers squad since 2004 would be reminiscent of the 90's if it weren't for Ben. I think that's the most accurate way to put it.

Polamalu Princess
05-31-2010, 06:20 PM

Troy is my man, but I agree with you on this.

tony hipchest
05-31-2010, 06:29 PM
If you guys thought having a great safety out for most of the year sucked, try recalling the 90's when we had no QB's. BLEH :pout:

multiple afcc games and a sb appearance? there are still teams who would kill for that in a single decade, let alone their entire history.

Psycho Ward 86
05-31-2010, 06:49 PM
multiple afcc games and a sb appearance? there are still teams who would kill for that in a single decade, let alone their entire history.

Winning it all saves you from asking yourselves the nightmarish question "What if?" The greatest organization in the league doesn't need to settle for mediocrity.

And also, welcome back Tony!

Bluecoat96
05-31-2010, 07:47 PM
ben is one of the best QB's in the league.

troy is one of the best players in the league (all positions) and perhaps the best athelete.

This sums it up very nicely. I agree 100%

BuddhaBus
05-31-2010, 07:56 PM
Troy. That man is super-human! Big Ben is great, but Troy is the heartbeat of the defense.

VTsteel
05-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Ben.

Seriously, Troy is my favorite current player . . . totally freaking amazing - But Ben is (in my opinion) more vital to winning it all.

And yes, I think we'd have a better chance of success this year without Troy than without Ben . . .

Please God don't let that happen.

86WARD
05-31-2010, 08:03 PM
Ben. This teams not winning with Byron, Chuck or Dennie at the helm. Period.

KATK9
05-31-2010, 08:05 PM
Troy without a doubt.

JoeCactus
05-31-2010, 08:26 PM
Big Ben had a great yr last yr over 4,000 yds passing, 2 WR over 1,000 yds and a RB over 1,000 yds. And still no playoffs. Troy is the QB of the defense when he's not playing we give up an extra TD per game. With Troy healthy and Ben sidelined at least for 4 gms I like our chances of at least going .500 or maybe 1 game above. I think our defense will get back on track this yr with Troy and McFadden back at CB

Still waiting for a Safety or CB to make a TD pass and drive the team 90 yards to win a game.........no contest Ben

further defense does not win championships offense does.......the greatest defensive team ever (Steelers) never made it to the super bowl

86WARD
05-31-2010, 08:44 PM
still waiting for a safety or cb to make a td pass and drive the team 90 yards to win a game.........no contest ben

further defense does not win championships offense does.......the greatest defensive team ever (steelers) never made it to the super bowl

qft

Psycho Ward 86
05-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Troy's just a better player, not as important

The Duke
05-31-2010, 09:31 PM
Sorry, no QB no win. simple as that

Troy's just a better player, not as important

Yep, it may sound weird but it's true

kmsteelerwr15
05-31-2010, 09:42 PM

Very good point. While I do believe Ben is important, last year showed what happens when Troy isn't active, and it wasn't pretty.

Psycho Ward 86
05-31-2010, 09:46 PM

I would drop the hammer on that decision in an instant and scream yes. The fall of the defense wasn't just because of Troy's injury, it was a accumulation of other injuries on defense too: Brett Keisel, Lawrence Timmons, Aaron Smith, and William Gay wasn't anywhere close to ready to handle starting duties.

86WARD
05-31-2010, 09:56 PM
I would say yes to that in a second...bench Troy for Ben...absolutely.

steel9guy
05-31-2010, 10:26 PM
Great question but I can't really give an answer. In the playoffs last year Troy dominated in the AFC championship and we all know what Ben did in the Superbowl.

tube517
05-31-2010, 11:26 PM
#43.....if he starts 16 games, we make at least the AFC Championship game. If not, the Steelers don't get that far. Except for his rookie season, every time he starts the whole season, they have made it to the AFC Championship game.

Wallace108
05-31-2010, 11:57 PM
I hate to be without either of them, but I'm going with Troy. The defense looked lost last year.

steelerrob
06-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Troy without a doubt.....if we rock the D like 2 years ago, we can get by with even a mediocre QB.

ricardisimo
06-01-2010, 12:46 AM
I choose: the Patriots suck, and I lust for Tom Brady's wife.

Why is there no poll on this poll?
:hmm:

steelpride12
06-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Troy is injured and out for over 4 games last season and the Steelers miss the playoffs and the secondary and overall defense struggles. That should be a hint.

vasteeler
06-01-2010, 10:57 AM
i look at our two superbowl runs ,with out ben we make neither

BigNastyDefense
06-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Troy makes the defense work because he is so multi-talented.

Without Ben we can just pound Mendy and Moore until Ben comes back if that's what we have to do.

Indo
06-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Troy

steelax04
06-01-2010, 11:34 AM

This is why I'd say Troy.

Sweets
06-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Losing Troy has already hurt your team immensely, I don't think losing Ben for a few games this season will make the team skip a beat. If Goodell takes back his original suspension and gives Ben only 4 games the Ravens are the only team in your division you'll play.

SteelerSal
06-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Troy makes the defense work because he is so multi-talented.

Without Ben we can just pound Mendy and Moore until Ben comes back if that's what we have to do.

I agree. With Troy on the field, it leaves opposing QB's second guessing where he will be.

Prok
06-01-2010, 02:15 PM
I just hope we get through the suspension OK then get to keep BOTH players healthy the rest of the way. We'll need em' both to contend for the playoffs and Sb IMO.

BuddhaBus
06-01-2010, 02:45 PM
I don't see opposing teams slapping Big Ben wigs on defensive players' melons and having them run drills in practice.

steelax04
06-01-2010, 02:51 PM
I don't see opposing teams slapping Big Ben wigs on defensive players' melons and having them run drills in practice.

No they slap ugly mustaches on the QBs instead...

Prok
06-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Well considering you have LeBeau in charge of the defense and Arians in charge of the offense i think it would be fair to say doing 6 games without Ben would hurt more. Especially with the FA upgrades we've had.

And, no, i'm still not a big LeBeau supporter. lol

Prok
06-01-2010, 03:29 PM
BTW Welcome aboard Hipchest. As you can see i did not choke on my pillow the other night. :p

stlrtruck
06-01-2010, 03:37 PM
It was proven last year that this team needs Troy more than they need Ben. I'm not taking anything away from Ben, but Troy just has a greater impact on the game plan that other team's build.

Psycho Ward 86
06-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Troy without a doubt.....if we rock the D like 2 years ago, we can get by with even a mediocre QB.

If Bill Cowher were sitting here reading that, he would laugh his ass off. You should look back at the 90's and think on that again.

Yeah we tried that and ended up 19th in rushing. As long as Ben's gone, (Plus one Santonio Holmes) defenses aren't going to respect our passing attack and our run game is going to get attacked.

JayC
06-01-2010, 09:40 PM
tough question, but im going with troy for the fact that our whole defense collapsed without him. i think the steelers could get by with an average qb as long as our running game is good.

but the fact is, without both of them healthy, we have no chance at winning a championship, we need both to stay healthy

Galax Steeler
06-02-2010, 04:29 AM
I would have to say Troy the man is an all around player and makes play he is the cog of the defense. He will have no problem making the hall of fame. A player of his caliber only comes around every so often. Ben is a good quarteback but can be replaced how do you replace a player like Troy you don't.

Canadian Steeler Nation
06-02-2010, 05:22 AM
its pretty tough to say the Safety spot is more important than the qb on any team but, Troy is the only safety in the world who can make it an interesting conversation. However just by the nature of the QB i'd take Ben