PDA

View Full Version : 15 cuts made today

polamalubeast
08-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Bob Labriola ‏@BobLabriola 53s
Justin Cheadle and DeMarcus Van Dyke waived injured; baron batch and Stevenson Sylvester waived

https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot

The Steelers have released offensive tackle D’Anthony Batiste, running back Baron Batch, offensive tackle Mike Farrell, wide receiver David Gilreath, wide receiver Tyler Shaw, cornerback Ryan Steed, linebacker Stevenson Sylvester, tight end Peter Tuitupou, quarterback John Parker Wilson, wide receiver J.D. Woods and running back Jeremy Wright.

read more

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Make-Roster-Moves-Trim-Roster-to-75/c0eded43-be8e-4999-aa45-ec3b5f48e11e

KeiselPower99
08-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Wow a RB got released. Slyvester had to know his days were about done. In a show something scenario hasnt played due to an injury

KeiselPower99
08-25-2013, 06:33 PM
The Steelers made 15 roster moves today, reducing their roster to the league-mandated 75 players prior to Tuesday’s 4 p.m. deadline.

The Steelers have placed linebacker Sean Spence on the team’s Reserve/Physically Unable To Perform (PUP) List. In addition, the team has placed offensive guard Justin Cheadle and cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke on the team’s Waived/Injured List.

The Steelers have released offensive tackle D’Anthony Batiste, running back Baron Batch, offensive tackle Mike Farrell, wide receiver David Gilreath, wide receiver Tyler Shaw, cornerback Ryan Steed, linebacker Stevenson Sylvester, tight end Peter Tuitupou, quarterback John Parker Wilson, wide receiver J.D. Woods and running back Jeremy Wright.

The Steelers have also placed rookie defensive end Nick Williams on the Reserve/Injured List.

The Steelers conclude their preseason slate at the Carolina Panthers on Thursday night. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. at Bank of America Stadium.

Pittsburgh must reduce its roster to 53 players by Saturday at 6 p.m.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Make-Roster-Moves-Trim-Roster-to-75/c0eded43-be8e-4999-aa45-ec3b5f48e11e

Dwinsgames
08-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Woods is a mild shocker , other than that nothing here I did not expect ...

I thought Woods would hang around till the end and they would try and sneak him onto the practice squad ... perhaps they are thinking lets NOT keep him to put up numbers vs the Panthers in the final game and he may be easier to sneak onto the PS ?

or maybe they just are not interested /shrug

KeiselPower99
08-25-2013, 06:38 PM
I was thinking the same thing with Woods. Guess we will find out.

zulater
08-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Golic Jr wasn't cut yet, which suggests to me that they're going to sign him to the practice squad after the final cut.

tube517
08-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Damn, Mosi Tatupu and Joel Steed got released. Also, BJ from MASH got released. Final cuts this Saturday

oneforthetoe
08-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Wow Batch already. Good luck to him catching on somewhere.

No Spence this year or probably ever. Sad situation.

KeiselPower99
08-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Spence could play this year but has to wait till after Week 6

Hindes204
08-25-2013, 06:51 PM
Hope the best for Batch, great story there

Chidi29
08-25-2013, 07:36 PM
So what does the OT situation look like? Do we keep three? Hold onto Joe Long?

salamander
08-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Can't say I'm overly surprised by any of those cuts. Good luck to all of them whatever the future holds. Also, good to see that Spence was put on the PUP list instead of IR.

Chidi29
08-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Can't say I'm overly surprised by any of those cuts. Good luck to all of then whatever the future holds. Also, good to see that Spence was put on the PUP list instead of IR.

Doesn't really mean much though. Might as well use that option and get to re-evaluate in six-nine weeks instead of definitely losing him for the year if he went on IR. Still a longshot to play IMO.

Count Steeler
08-25-2013, 07:38 PM
So what does the OT situation look like? Do we keep three? Hold onto Joe Long?

Maybe they are waiting to see if Jonathon Scott comes available?

Chidi29
08-25-2013, 07:40 PM

I'd take his "butt block" over Guy Whimper playing tackle.

steelreserve
08-25-2013, 07:46 PM
I was a bit surprised to see Batch go already, thought he might make it until the final round. But I guess the guy just did not have a real high ceiling in this league. Woods I was also surprised by, but everyone else was honestly destined to be cut anyway. I didn't really stick around to watch much of John Parker Wilson, but by all accounts I'd heard he was outplaying Landry. Did that change, or just the numbers worked against him?

Also, if it came down to Scott vs. Whimper, I'd just as soon not have a left tackle and make up a new offense on the fly. That's how bad both of those guys are.

st33lersguy
08-25-2013, 07:49 PM
They should have cut Josh Victorian, after that fail dive on KCs kickoff return TD

Chidi29
08-25-2013, 07:55 PM
I was a bit surprised to see Batch go already, thought he might make it until the final round. But I guess the guy just did not have a real high ceiling in this league. Woods I was also surprised by, but everyone else was honestly destined to be cut anyway. I didn't really stick around to watch much of John Parker Wilson, but by all accounts I'd heard he was outplaying Landry. Did that change, or just the numbers worked against him?

Also, if it came down to Scott vs. Whimper, I'd just as soon not have a left tackle and make up a new offense on the fly. That's how bad both of those guys are.

Just purely speculating but may have cut Batch and Sly go as a courtesy so they can start finding work a little sooner and not get caught up in the madness of the next cutdown day. Just a thought.

Godfather
08-25-2013, 08:11 PM
I didn't really stick around to watch much of John Parker Wilson, but by all accounts I'd heard he was outplaying Landry. Did that change, or just the numbers worked against him?

Landry has an upside. JPW will never be more than a third stringer.

86WARD
08-25-2013, 08:29 PM
Glad to see Batch gone. Liked the guy but he would've been a wasted roster spot as a special teamer. Thought Sylvester may have hung around a bit longer.

TomlinSteelTribe
08-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Just purely speculating but may have cut Batch and Sly go as a courtesy so they can start finding work a little sooner and not get caught up in the madness of the next cutdown day. Just a thought.

I think you're right. Courtesy cuts.

oneforthetoe
08-25-2013, 10:41 PM

I am sure you are correct Chidi29, but I'd imagine what a strange conversation that would be. "Son, we are going to do you a favor and cut you now since we have no interest in you....... no ,no don't thank us, it is the least we can do for a player of your caliber."

zulater
08-26-2013, 05:38 AM
Why would the Steelers release veteran inside linebacker Stevenson Sylvester, who has been with them the past three seasons after they drafted him in the fifth round in 2010?

Because he did not make enough progress, did not play well enough on special teams and they have a slew of young linebackers on the inside and outside they believe can help them more, both on special teams and possible at the position in the future.

The Steelers were disappointed in Sylvester’s performance on special teams last season, when they credited him with just one tackle and nothing else. He had no stats on defense. Backup linebackers simply have to excel on special teams and Sylvester hardly performed at all.

As for Baron Batch, it’s obvious the Steelers believe Felix Jones possibly could give them more than he could. Batch just hasn’t been the same since his ACL was torn in his rookie training camp two years ago.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/122432-ed-why-did-steelers-cut-sylvester-batch

TheRuneMeister
08-26-2013, 06:27 AM
Looks about right. Wish Woods could have worked out, but others have flashed, and I agree with the cuts.

Master Blaster
08-26-2013, 06:46 AM
Why would the Steelers release veteran inside linebacker Stevenson Sylvester, who has been with them the past three seasons after they drafted him in the fifth round in 2010?

Because he did not make enough progress, did not play well enough on special teams and they have a slew of young linebackers on the inside and outside they believe can help them more, both on special teams and possible at the position in the future.

The Steelers were disappointed in Sylvester’s performance on special teams last season, when they credited him with just one tackle and nothing else. He had no stats on defense. Backup linebackers simply have to excel on special teams and Sylvester hardly performed at all.

As for Baron Batch, it’s obvious the Steelers believe Felix Jones possibly could give them more than he could. Batch just hasn’t been the same since his ACL was torn in his rookie training camp two years ago.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/122432-ed-why-did-steelers-cut-sylvester-batch
It's about time they cut Sylvester. He was given every opportunity to develop into the player they hoped he would be. After three years of futility he failed to meet the standard. I regarded him as the invisible man because he was rarely seen on the field or heard from in the locker room after games.

Baron Batch lost his mojo after his knee injury and as a consequence, he lost his job. The signing of LaRod Stephens-Howling signaled the end of Batch's Steelers career.

Seven
08-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Sad to see both of those guys go. I know Sly loved playing here and it seemed like Batch did too. I wish we could have kept them both and hope they find a home quickly.

Psycho Ward 86
08-26-2013, 10:14 PM
what exactly does "waived injured" mean

Seven
08-26-2013, 10:23 PM

I'm pretty sure it means the player is waived, but unless he is picked up by another team the organization that waived him is responsible for paying his rehab expenses until he's back to playing shape. I could be wrong but I think it's a fairly new designation. I thought it used to be that a team simply couldn't release a player who was injured. Maybe it came about during the new labor agreement. Regardless I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Chidi29
08-26-2013, 10:46 PM
I am sure you are correct Chidi29, but I'd imagine what a strange conversation that would be. "Son, we are going to do you a favor and cut you now since we have no interest in you....... no ,no don't thank us, it is the least we can do for a player of your caliber."

Haha.

"Such is life in the National Football League"

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure it means the player is waived, but unless he is picked up by another team the organization that waived him is responsible for paying his rehab expenses until he's back to playing shape. I could be wrong but I think it's a fairly new designation. I thought it used to be that a team simply couldn't release a player who was injured. Maybe it came about during the new labor agreement. Regardless I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

All it means is that the team wants to send a player to injured reserved. It applies for non-veterans I believe (DvD and Nick Williams examples). So the player has to first pass through waivers and if unclaimed, he can then go to Injured Reserve.

I think what you're talking about is more in line with an injury settlement which is a prorated payment based on the estimated time the player would have been out for. That is an outright release.

steelreserve
08-26-2013, 10:53 PM

Before the start of the regular season, you can't put someone on IR; he has to clear waivers first. So basically, if you try to IR a player, if he's any good, other teams can claim him unless you carry him on the roster all the way to the last round of cuts like you normally would. It keeps teams from stockpiling talent, and also probably a bunch of other ways you could abuse the IR list.

I think once the player clears waivers, you have the option to either put him on IR or buy out his contract and go your separate ways.

Seven
08-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the clarifications

Psycho Ward 86
08-26-2013, 11:38 PM
so since demarcus van dyke is currently on waived injured, we can keep him, just IR him for the regular season?

Craic
08-27-2013, 02:00 AM

That's actually a good thought. I really like the kid and am saddened that he couldn't do more for the Steelers, but he didn't produce when given the chances. Good luck somewhere else. The one that did surprise me however was Wood. Moye seems to have stolen the spotlight a bit, but I'm not sure he was better than Wood. Either way, it seems like we're going to go into the season with a pretty decent set of receivers again. Funny how that used to always be a problem for us and now, it really is nothing of the sort.

TheRuneMeister
08-27-2013, 02:21 AM
The one that did surprise me however was Wood. Moye seems to have stolen the spotlight a bit, but I'm not sure he was better than Wood.
I agree. However if they looked similar in the talent department, you can't really blame them for sticking with the 6'4+ guy. I just loved watching Woods catch the ball.

Count Steeler
08-27-2013, 04:48 AM
That's actually a good thought. I really like the kid and am saddened that he couldn't do more for the Steelers, but he didn't produce when given the chances. Good luck somewhere else. The one that did surprise me however was Wood. Moye seems to have stolen the spotlight a bit, but I'm not sure he was better than Wood. Either way, it seems like we're going to go into the season with a pretty decent set of receivers again. Funny how that used to always be a problem for us and now, it really is nothing of the sort.

Our woes have seemed to turn to the OLine. Not overly confident with our depth. I am hoping they gel as a unit, sooner rather than later and they keep Ben upright, or at least give him 1/2 second to throw the ball.

Chidi29
08-27-2013, 08:49 AM
so since demarcus van dyke is currently on waived injured, we can keep him, just IR him for the regular season?

Yes. Once he goes through waivers unclaimed, he will then be moved to Injured Reserve.

Psycho Ward 86
08-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Yes. Once he goes through waivers unclaimed, he will then be moved to Injured Reserve.

can he also be designated as that special IR guy, that gets to come back and play? dont actually love Dyke that much, just curious as to how this works

Chidi29
08-27-2013, 02:57 PM
can he also be designated as that special IR guy, that gets to come back and play? dont actually love Dyke that much, just curious as to how this works

Yes, anyone player not on the PUP can have that special designation. The team could have done that to DvD if they really wanted to. Obviously, was never an actual option.

HollywoodSteel
08-27-2013, 04:45 PM
They should have cut Josh Victorian, after that fail dive on KCs kickoff return TD

I was thinking the same thing but then I reconsidered. Tomlin can torture him way more if he keeps him around. That clip of him whiffing should be on a continual loop in the weight room.

- - - Updated - - -

I am one of the biggest J. Scott haters out there, and I'd rather have Ben sit than have to play with J.S. at left tackle, but the truth is he isn't that horrible at RT. He might be better than any back up RT we currently have on the roster.

TomlinSteelTribe
08-27-2013, 06:13 PM
I am one of the biggest J. Scott haters out there, and I'd rather have Ben sit than have to play with J.S. at left tackle, but the truth is he isn't that horrible at RT. He might be better than any back up RT we currently have on the roster.

Completely agree with this. Should Adams miss time, you swing Gilbert over to left and insert Scott at RT.

Chidi29
08-27-2013, 06:33 PM
Completely agree with this. Should Adams miss time, you swing Gilbert over to left and insert Scott at RT.

Beachum > Scott

tube517
08-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Beachum > Scott

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought I saw Whimpy, not Beachum. Disregard.

Dwinsgames
08-27-2013, 07:32 PM
truth be told I am not sure it is fair to lay all the blame on the players for sucking .... most of these guys comprised a starting spot at some point last season and did ok ( not great but ok ) .....

what has changed ?

it is not a trick question but an honest one ... what has changed ?

is Beachum still the same guy ?

How about Adams ?

Pouncey ? ( and yes he has not looked good either thus far this year )

Gilbert ?

they are all the same guys with all the same ability they had a year ago ....

what has changed ???

I know I keep asking this simple question , I think the answer is just as simple ....

Count Steeler
08-27-2013, 09:26 PM
truth be told I am not sure it is fair to lay all the blame on the players for sucking .... most of these guys comprised a starting spot at some point last season and did ok ( not great but ok ) .....

what has changed ?

it is not a trick question but an honest one ... what has changed ?

is Beachum still the same guy ?

How about Adams ?

Pouncey ? ( and yes he has not looked good either thus far this year )

Gilbert ?

they are all the same guys with all the same ability they had a year ago ....

what has changed ???

I know I keep asking this simple question , I think the answer is just as simple ....

Give me a B B
Give me an I I
Give me a C C
Give me a K K

Need I go on?

Dwinsgames
08-27-2013, 09:55 PM
Give me a B B
Give me an I I
Give me a C C
Give me a K K

Need I go on?

someone figured it out :alcohol:

that is not to say things will not improve , ( they damn well better ) there is no place to go but up right ?

my biggest concern is last year we got more out of the players than they ordinarily where capable of ( coached them up as the cliche )

now the coach has changed as has the philosophy and it just might be a square peg round hole syndrome taking place ....

we have 2 lineman that are known for mobility , 1 that has average mobility and 2 that really are not that mobile at all so to a degree you have set yourself up to fail before you start ( or at the very least struggle ) ...

we have a lot invested in our starting Tackles at the tune of two second round draft picks in back to back drafts over the past 2 of 3 drafts and the system put in place does not lend itself to the strengths of the personnel ...

does it mean it can not work ... NO
but it is cause for concern and to this point we have not seen much to ease that concern ...

TomlinSteelTribe
08-27-2013, 11:32 PM
Beachum > Scott

I agree. Problem is the way our line has been the last few years, one decent option as a back-up ain't 'nuff for 16+ games.