PDA

View Full Version : players released we may want to look at

Dwinsgames
08-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Vinsanthe Shianco TE
Bruce Campbell OT/G
Will Shaw TE ( who I liked from YSU ) but is probably a developmental kind of guy

but we will probably look at Leonard Pope (http://www.nfl.com/player/leonardpope/2495931/profile) instead out of familiarity with the system ( yuck )

the most interesting cut is the guy Mel Kiper ( a few short years ago ) called a can't miss NFL prospect the often traveled and much maligned Aaron Curry

lots more cuts to come those are from the early reports

blackngldblood
08-25-2013, 05:36 PM
http://8tracks.imgix.net/i/000/426/687/c/Evil-Dead-bruce-campbell-ash-2673.jpg?fm=jpg&q=65&fit=maxWould love to have this guy as a backup!

KeiselPower99
08-25-2013, 06:21 PM
Curry wouldnt be bad if he would play special teams and learn the system. I saw where Pope was released and my first thought was bet he gets brought back til Spaeth gets healthy

st33lersguy
08-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Leonard Pope would not be a bad idea. Aaron Curry would be a bad idea. He is a major flop and bad NFL player. Given the talent in the backup LBing corp, he probably wouldn't make the team anyway

TomlinSteelTribe
08-25-2013, 08:28 PM
How much does Shiancoe have left in the tank? Probably would be the best pass-catching TE on the team, if healthy. But, yeah, familiarity, Leonard Pope, blegh.

Psycho Ward 86
08-25-2013, 08:34 PM
i originally thought shiancoe was a great option, but the ravens are down their top 2 tight ends and still cut him. so i think thats pretty telling of how little game he has left. oh boy.

Dwinsgames
08-25-2013, 08:36 PM
i originally thought shiancoe was a great option, but the ravens are down their top 2 tight ends and still cut him. so i think thats pretty telling of how little game he has left. oh boy.

you have a valid point ......

katmandu
08-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Any decent Tackles out there on the market ?

TomlinSteelTribe
08-25-2013, 08:49 PM

yeah, this is an excellent point. Probably nothing left in the tank.

- - - Updated - - -

Any decent Tackles out there on the market ?

Bruce Campbell was touted as a physical (albeit raw) freak at the combine a few years ago. I guess he hasn't fared that well in the pros so far. But with our tackle situation, I mean, maybe we should take a risk there. Not sure who else is on the market.

Dwinsgames
08-25-2013, 08:53 PM
Bruce Campbell was touted as a physical (albeit raw) freak at the combine a few years ago. I guess he hasn't fared that well in the pros so far. But with our tackle situation, I mean, maybe we should take a risk there. Not sure who else is on the market.

Campbell couldnt be any worse than Wimpy could he ???

at least Campbell has athletic ability , worst case scenario he stinks ... but so do the guys we already have LOL

TomlinSteelTribe
08-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Campbell couldnt be any worse than Wimpy could he ???

at least Campbell has athletic ability , worst case scenario he stinks ... but so do the guys we already have LOL

Haha, completely agree. Raw talent would be an improvement at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not an expert on OL play but I'd think zone blocking might be a strong suit for Campbell, since he's quick and fast. But that's merely conjecture.

deweybeachde
08-26-2013, 06:11 AM
Keep an eye on Arizona's cuts for some O~line
Saw this on one of their blogs.
Bruce Arians said he was still a long way from choosing his starting offensive line. At the same time, he said he did know “who the eight are.
you figure Jonathan Cooper, Eric Winston, Lyle Sendlein, Daryn Colledge, Levi Brown, Nate Potter and Bobby Massie will all be around. That’s already seven. But at the same time, that’s four guys who basically only play tackle — Brown, Massie, Potter, Winston — and that may be too many for guys who couldn’t move inside if necessary. Someone may need to show some versatility. Or maybe they all don’t make it.
I think Earl Watford, as a fourth-round pick, makes this team, but he may be this year’s Senio Kelemete — he may have a hard time being active on Sundays.
Let’s say, for a moment, Arians is planning on keeping around all those tackles, maybe working some at guard. Let’s say he leans toward keeping nine offensive linemen. With Watford, that’s eight already. Who else? Vet guard Chilo Rachal? Guard Paul Fanaika, who has come on and has been working with the first unit with Colledge out with injury? Do you consider Mike Gibson, who can be a guard and center, the backup center or is Cooper — who played a little center in college — your default backup at the position should something happen to Sendlein?

Dwinsgames
08-26-2013, 06:25 AM
Keep an eye on Arizona's cuts for some O~line
Saw this on one of their blogs.
Bruce Arians said he was still a long way from choosing his starting offensive line. At the same time, he said he did know “who the eight are.
you figure Jonathan Cooper, Eric Winston, Lyle Sendlein, Daryn Colledge, Levi Brown, Nate Potter and Bobby Massie will all be around. That’s already seven. But at the same time, that’s four guys who basically only play tackle — Brown, Massie, Potter, Winston — and that may be too many for guys who couldn’t move inside if necessary. Someone may need to show some versatility. Or maybe they all don’t make it.
I think Earl Watford, as a fourth-round pick, makes this team, but he may be this year’s Senio Kelemete — he may have a hard time being active on Sundays.
Let’s say, for a moment, Arians is planning on keeping around all those tackles, maybe working some at guard. Let’s say he leans toward keeping nine offensive linemen. With Watford, that’s eight already. Who else? Vet guard Chilo Rachal? Guard Paul Fanaika, who has come on and has been working with the first unit with Colledge out with injury? Do you consider Mike Gibson, who can be a guard and center, the backup center or is Cooper — who played a little center in college — your default backup at the position should something happen to Sendlein?

Cooper will go to IR , he broke his leg the other day

steelreserve
08-26-2013, 09:31 AM
You've gotta bring Bruce Campbell in, can you think of all the awesome promotions you could do based on name alone? You'd make millions.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/83743db6e3448fa0d97398a940010e15/tumblr_mhyu23p4i01s5vuu3o1_500.gif

Crow-Magnon
08-26-2013, 02:10 PM

I actually thought Shiancoe played decently in the preseason. I think it came down to A- Dickson appears to have gotten over his injury better and faster than expected; B- Clark is definitely more of a proven TE and has history with Caldwell; C- Bajema is a decent blocker at TE: D- Furstenburg looks like a fast TE with good hands; and E- while probably a pipe dream, it is possible Pitta may return before season's end. If the Ravens carry four TE's, they will be Dickson, Clark, Pitta (on IR to start) and Bajema/Furstenburg. Don't know which way the coaches will call it, but I say cut Bajema and go with the rookie who can block.....and catch.

But Shaincoe looks like he can still play, and I think a team that needs a TE should take a good look at him.

KeiselPower99
08-26-2013, 04:54 PM
You've gotta bring Bruce Campbell in, can you think of all the awesome promotions you could do based on name alone? You'd make millions.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/83743db6e3448fa0d97398a940010e15/tumblr_mhyu23p4i01s5vuu3o1_500.gif

Campbell busting out the BOOMSTICK to open holes so we can Ring the Bell!!!!

Spike
08-26-2013, 06:03 PM
I'd wait till San Fran makes their last cuts - scarf up some D-lineman - they are stacked

steeldawg
08-26-2013, 06:06 PM
http://8tracks.imgix.net/i/000/426/687/c/Evil-Dead-bruce-campbell-ash-2673.jpg?fm=jpg&q=65&fit=maxWould love to have this guy as a backup!

It would be smart, It would be S-Mart.

SteelerFanInStl
08-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Ray Graham was cut by the Texans. I wouldn't mind seeing him signed to the practice squad.

Seven
08-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Zach Miller has been released. He'd be a great a addition at tight end for us in my opinion. I wish we'd look at Shanahan from Pitt too. I'm biased because I grew up with him but I think he really has the skills to play pro ball. Don't mind the Ray Graham suggestion I just think we're too overloaded with running backs already.

Dwinsgames
08-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Zach Miller has been released. He'd be a great a addition at tight end for us in my opinion. I wish we'd look at Shanahan from Pitt too. I'm biased because I grew up with him but I think he really has the skills to play pro ball. Don't mind the Ray Graham suggestion I just think we're too overloaded with running backs already.

Zach Miller had a couple really good years with the Raiders when they truly did not have many players worth a damn , if he is healthy he would be extraordinary here IMO esp in 2 TE sets when heath returns ...

I would love snagging him up he can catch and is a pretty good blocker

Chidi29
08-27-2013, 06:41 PM

Shanahn has been cut twice in two days. I'll pass.

HollywoodSteel
08-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Zach Miller had a couple really good years with the Raiders when they truly did not have many players worth a damn , if he is healthy he would be extraordinary here IMO esp in 2 TE sets when heath returns ...

I would love snagging him up he can catch and is a pretty good blocker

I was thinking that too as soon as I read he was cut, but then I started wondering why he was cut. Could it be a money thing? Is he still on the contract that he signed when he entered free agency?

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking that too as soon as I read he was cut, but then I started wondering why he was cut. Could it be a money thing? Is he still on the contract that he signed when he entered free agency?

Nevermind. That can't be it. It wasn't the Bucks that signed him to that contract. I guess he just dropped off a lot since his time with the Raiders.

HollywoodSteel
08-28-2013, 05:27 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind. That can't be it. It wasn't the Bucks that signed him to that contract. I guess he just dropped off a lot since his time with the Raiders.

Wait, now I'm totally confused. Is this a different Zach Miller? The Bucks released a TE named Zach Miller but I'm thinking this must be a different guy because this one used to be on the Jags. The one that used to be on the Raiders is on the Seahawks.

HollywoodSteel
08-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Vinsanthe Shianco TE
Bruce Campbell OT/G
Will Shaw TE ( who I liked from YSU ) but is probably a developmental kind of guy

but we will probably look at Leonard Pope (http://www.nfl.com/player/leonardpope/2495931/profile) instead out of familiarity with the system ( yuck )

the most interesting cut is the guy Mel Kiper ( a few short years ago ) called a can't miss NFL prospect the often traveled and much maligned Aaron Curry

lots more cuts to come those are from the early reports

Aaron Curry retired from football. I heard them talking about him on NFL radio today. One of the hosts (Pat Kirwan I think) was saying that he got to know Curry a bit and it never seemed to him that the kid was really in love with the game of football. A shame since so many people would give anything to have had his natural physical ability and opportunity to succeed.

LLT
08-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Wait, now I'm totally confused. Is this a different Zach Miller? The Bucks released a TE named Zach Miller but I'm thinking this must be a different guy because this one used to be on the Jags. The one that used to be on the Raiders is on the Seahawks.

Two different guys. One Drafted in the 6th round in 2009 by the Jaguars....the other was drafted by the Raiders in the 2nd round of the 2007 draft

HollywoodSteel
08-29-2013, 04:18 PM
Two different guys. One Drafted in the 6th round in 2009 by the Jaguars....the other was drafted by the Raiders in the 2nd round of the 2007 draft

Yeah, the better one isn't getting cut. He's still too much guaranteed money coming his way. :)

HollywoodSteel
08-31-2013, 11:38 AM
At the age of 93, Antoine Winfield might be better than any corner on our roster besides Ike. :)

Dwinsgames
08-31-2013, 12:40 PM
At the age of 93, Antoine Winfield might be better than any corner on our roster besides Ike and Tez. :)

fixed :coffee:

HollywoodSteel
08-31-2013, 02:55 PM
fixed :coffee:

Okay, you're probably right. At least I hope you're right for our sake. :)

one side only
08-31-2013, 04:06 PM
I would look at FB Michael Robinson, released by the Seahawks. Upgrade over Will Johnson.

Mojouw
08-31-2013, 04:12 PM
What about Tavares King (WR from Georgia) that was just released by the Broncos.

one side only
08-31-2013, 04:16 PM
What about Tavares King (WR from Georgia) that was just released by the Broncos.Which of the 5 (Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown, Jerricho Cotchery, Derek Moye, or Markus Wheaton) would you cut in favor of Tavares King?

Dwinsgames
08-31-2013, 04:32 PM
Which of the 5 (Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown, Jerricho Cotchery, Derek Moye, or Markus Wheaton) would you cut in favor of Tavares King?

maybe Moye , I REALLY liked King , but you do not have to sign them to active roster could attempt to get him on the PS ( Denver does not have anything on us in that process ) question is does Colbert like him as much as some of us do ?

and then would he pick us over some other team ?

Dwinsgames
08-31-2013, 04:44 PM
CB Chris Carr

Mojouw
08-31-2013, 04:46 PM
Which of the 5 (Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown, Jerricho Cotchery, Derek Moye, or Markus Wheaton) would you cut in favor of Tavares King?

I confess I know nothing about Moye and have not watched a second of preseason football this year. But King was well touted coming out of school and many were high on him pre-draft. Also, getting squeezed off the roster in Denver is not necessarily and indictment of King's talent. The scheme is complicated and the Broncos are loaded with talented experienced WR's.

Additionally, unless Cotchery found a time machine in the off-season, he didn't get faster or more explosive...

Psycho Ward 86
08-31-2013, 05:55 PM
CB Chris Carr

yes please

Chidi29
08-31-2013, 06:24 PM
I would look at FB Michael Robinson, released by the Seahawks. Upgrade over Will Johnson.

Johnson is pretty good in his own right, provide the hamstring is ok.

And Robinson is dealing with an "illness" of some sort. So I'll pass.

For the most part, the team should stick with who they have.. These are the men they've seen through the spring and every day since the end of July. Seen them go through the highs and lows in practice, in the film room, what makes them tick, how they learn, how they respond to failure.

While they probably know a decent bit about the guys just recently drafted, it still comes nowhere close. And that uncertainty is scary. So unless there's a position that is in really bad shape (like finidng a 9th OL) we won't make too many moves.

NCSteeler
08-31-2013, 10:03 PM
DJ Williams TE from GB would likely be a solid replacement for Spaeth

Spike
09-01-2013, 04:03 AM
I just want a guy to replace Whimper.

This is the thinnest O-line we've had in 20 years

Heinz Hitman
09-01-2013, 08:58 AM
How about Zoltan Mesko? Punter from New England. Surely he would be an upgrade to Drew Butler. New England mostly only cut him due to his salary.

KeiselPower99
09-01-2013, 09:17 PM
I just want a guy to replace Whimper.

This is the thinnest O-line we've had in 20 years

Agreed. I had faith in Malecki and now he is gone.

Heinz Hitman
09-02-2013, 05:27 PM
How about Zoltan Mesko? Punter from New England. Surely he would be an upgrade to Drew Butler. New England mostly only cut him due to his salary.

Not to brag or anything, but did I call it, or did I call it?

Chidi29
09-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Good call.

bayz101
09-02-2013, 05:34 PM

Hello, Zoltan. Good to know that a Steelers player is a member on this forum. :chuckle:

steeldawg
09-02-2013, 07:39 PM

Nice call sir and a nice signing for the team.