PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Had Two Bad Penalty Calls Go Against Them In Loss To Chiefs

polamalubeast
08-25-2013, 11:59 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/08/steelers-had-two-bad-penalty-calls-go-against-them-in-loss-to-chiefs/#axzz2cuZRd0LL

- - - Updated - - -

Coach Tomlin: Not enough detail and execution to secure a victory. Obviously, we were highly penalized. In my opinion, some of those calls were suspect, but such is life in August. It’s preseason for those guys as well

http://burgh.us/ngm

fansince'76
08-25-2013, 12:24 PM
In my opinion, some of those calls were suspect, but such is life in August. It’s preseason for those guys as well.

I realize Tomlin was trying to be as diplomatic as possible to avoid being fined himself, but I'm getting tired of hearing that every year. Thanks to the ever-increasing number of "safety" rules, it's not going to get any better. It's also one of the reasons I continue to lose interest more and more every season. I also counted more than two bad calls last night.

tube517
08-25-2013, 12:40 PM
I realize Tomlin was trying to be as diplomatic as possible to avoid being fined himself, but I'm getting tired of hearing that every year. Thanks to the ever-increasing number of "safety" rules, it's not going to get any better. It's also one of the reasons I continue to lose interest more and more every season. I also counted more than two bad calls last night.

No Tomlinism will hide his anti referee tirade. FINE HIM!!! :chuckle:

TomlinSteelTribe
08-25-2013, 08:45 PM

This new form of football puts so much pressure on the defense. You're not allowed to touch a guy after 5 yards past the LOS and THEN when the ball does arrive, you can only hit him a certain way (and not too hard). The game's played so fast at that level, it's a ridiculous expectation.

I question whether the NFL truly cares about player health. And I'd be interested to hear the stats on concussions the last couple seasons as compared to before the rule changes. Of course, maybe players weren't diagnosed with concussions as often years ago.

I'm not sure whether the NFL is moving in this direction to make games higher scoring to draw more fans, or what. But I'm not sure they realize that their fans who've been around for a bit enjoy good defensive play. Crazy world. Just a few years ago, ESPN regularly aired a "Jacked up" highlight segment and now this. More and more I'm on the edge of not caring. I don't want to sound insensitive to the players, but it doesn't take a genius to realize football is a dangerous game with physical repercussions. The players aren't forced into it and know what they're getting into. Numerous occupations are dangerous and football players aren't exactly given peanuts to take their risks...

Psycho Ward 86
08-29-2013, 11:02 AM
they are making excuses about losing preseason games? god the butt hurtedness in that article

steelreserve
08-29-2013, 12:16 PM
As really everyone knows already, this shouldn't be surprising anymore. It's simply an unavoidable fact that no matter what you do to play by the new rules, in every game there are going to be at least two chickenshit personal fouls called on your team at random, and no less than one 40-yard phantom pass interference call on a jump ball (no less than two if it's Flacco).

btw, I didn't think the article sounded butthurt. The guy said right up front that he's not trying to blame losses on the officiating, just bring attention to a couple bad plays. Although if I was Tomlin or one of the players involved in those calls, I'd be pretty pissed about it too, preseason or not. Never a good feeling to get hosed, whether it affected the score or not.

HollywoodSteel
08-29-2013, 02:01 PM
they are making excuses about losing preseason games? god the butt hurtedness in that article

It's not necessarily about the W or L. Bad calls can mess with drives and rhythm, which can possibly have a ripple effect into the reg season. But mostly bad calls hurt the enjoyment of the game, and anyone who is willing to tune in to pre-season games, and even pay the $20 bucks to see them like I do, gets to bitch when the product they are paying for is tainted in any way.