PDA

View Full Version : Tyson Gay gives Usain Bolt first loss in two years

xX-TSK-Xx
08-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Gay upsets Bolt in 100 meters

STOCKHOLM (AP) -- It turns out Usain Bolt can be beaten.

From Beijing to Berlin, it seemed that Bolt and his long, turbocharged strides were more than a match for anyone over 100 meters. But Tyson Gay upset the defending world and Olympic champion Friday in a race between the two fastest runners in history.

Gay beat the Jamaican at the DN Galan meet in 9.84 seconds at the same stadium where Bolt last lost a race two years ago.

The American seemed in complete control against the world record-holder. The pair raced side by side in lanes four and five. Gay, looking comfortable, drew away while Bolt strained to keep up and finished second in 9.97.

"I'm really happy with the win, even though Usain Bolt isn't in the best shape," Gay said. "It was very important to beat someone like that for the fans and the sport."

Bolt has run faster this year, finishing in 9.82 a month ago in Lausanne, Switzerland.

A sellout crowd in the 1912 Olympic Stadium turned silent before the showdown. And the tension heightened even further after two false starts. (continued at link with video)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/more/08/06/stockholm.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

Hopefully this will be the start of a big rivalry. I'm a Bolt fan and I like seeing a dominant athlete but sports are so much better when two rivals are battling for the top spot.

SteelerEmpire
08-09-2010, 11:53 AM
I saw that... Track is just like football and boxing, you have to train hard for each and every event if you want to continue winning...