PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Wheaton makes an early impression

polamalubeast
08-23-2013, 03:01 PM
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- The injuries that have hampered running back Le'Veon Bell have also obscured the early returns on the Steelers' 2013 NFL draft haul are promising. It is way too early to evaluate the rookies as I am a firm believer that it takes at least three years to accurately gauge a draft class.

But first-round pick Jarvis Jones is pushing Jason Worilds at right outside linebacker after playing extensively with the first-team defense last Monday night at Washington. The former Georgia star looks like he will contribute this season even if he doesn't beat out Worilds.

Fourth-round pick Shamarko Thomas, meanwhile, should provide much-needed depth behind Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark at safety. He has impressed with his physical style of play, and Thomas had six tackles and a forced fumble in a 24-13 loss to Washington.

Then there is third-round pick Markus Wheaton.

The wide receiver has been a quick study after missing most of the Steelers' offseason practices because of a rule that doesn't allow draft picks to report to their new team until their school's spring quarter has ended.

"We're going to get some good work from [No.] 11," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said of Wheaton. "I believe that."

Roethlisberger and Wheaton didn't start working together until training camp but the latter has made quite an impression on the Steelers' franchise quarterback -- and the player whose locker is next to Wheaton's at the team's practice facility.

There is a lot to like about Wheaton. He was extremely productive in college -- his 227 career catches are the most in Oregon State history -- and he put his blazing speed to use as a wide receiver and return man as well as a sprinter for the Beavers' track team.

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/73912/rookie-wheaton-makes-an-early-impression

Spike
08-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Wheaton looked good, no doubt about it

But it was Landry Jones who was throwing him some beautiful deep balls in the 2nd half.

He looked a helluva lot better than the first time.

Our rookie QB throws a really nice deep ball, probably better than Ben

and Shamarko stole the show in the 2nd half - he was everywhere, hitting everything and they went down with a thud.

Really, really impressed with this kid.

SteelerFanInStl
08-24-2013, 09:46 AM
and Shamarko stole the show in the 2nd half - he was everywhere, hitting everything and they went down with a thud.

Really, really impressed with this kid.

Gotta agree with that. I like what I've seen from Jarvis, Wheaton and even Landry in the second game but Shamarko has been the one to really show me something.