PDA

View Full Version : NFL ref admits mistakes in Super Bowl XL

venom
08-06-2010, 08:58 PM
RENTON, Wash. -- NFL referee Bill Leavy acknowleded he made mistakes in the Seattle Seahawks 2006 Super Bowl loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers

Read the rest at : http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5444048

BUMMER

Butch
08-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Doesn't say much what calls is he referring to? Bunch of nothing just like the article.

SteelerEmpire
08-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Looks like he's either trying to kiss up to the Seattle population for some reason. But the Steelers would have won with or without the "claimed" blown calls...

Devilsdancefloor
08-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Que the whining from seahags fans......

BlastFurnace
08-06-2010, 09:26 PM
The Official over the Refs was on the NFL Network after the game and said that Leavy made all the calls right. So, basically Leavy is calling his boss an idiot and kissing up to the Seahawk fans.

If I were the NFL, I'd fire him for this.

Carolina Steelers
08-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Looks like he's either trying to kiss up to the Seattle population for some reason. But the Steelers would have won with or without the "claimed" blown calls...

I agree the Steelers would have won anyway. Theres always a close call in any big game that could go either way. Hes just kissing up because hes in Seattle

Chidi29
08-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Maybe Seattle wins if they don't throw a pick to Ike Taylor in our territory.

Maybe Seattle wins if they don't let us pick up a 3rd and 21 (I think that was the distance. Either that or 3rd and 9) on a long completion to Hines Ward that put us at the one.

Maybe instead of Seattle looking for a scapegoat, they should be looking at themselves.

Akagi
08-06-2010, 09:54 PM
I dunno. I watched that game closely, the calls looked OK to me. :noidea:

BPS3akaWirels3
08-06-2010, 09:59 PM
The Cards say they should have won also and were cheated.. This happens everytime.. Deal with it people...

Carolina Steelers
08-06-2010, 10:00 PM

Maybe Seattle wins if they don't let us pick up a 3rd and 21 (I think that was the distance. Either that or 3rd and 9) on a long completion to Hines Ward that put us at the one.

Maybe instead of Seattle looking for a scapegoat, they should be looking at themselves.

Also dont forget about Fast Willies 75yd TD run also.

Canadian Steeler Nation
08-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Any team that wears aqua blue uniforms is beneath discussion on this fine forum

steeldevil
08-06-2010, 10:09 PM
I can't take this too seriously at all because he said it in Seattle... hell I wouldnt take it too seriously under any circumstances. Officials blunders happen occasionally... get over it....

wootawnee
08-06-2010, 10:11 PM

It was 3rd and 28........And just that play alone in my book was the play of the game....It also meant to me that Ben had an ok game........That play was awesome....

Chidi29
08-06-2010, 10:18 PM
It was 3rd and 28........And just that play alone in my book was the play of the game....It also meant to me that Ben had an ok game........That play was awesome....

Wow, I struck out twice. Think I had Ben's 9-21 completion on the brain.

28 makes it even more astounding.

The Duke
08-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Bad teams lose when officials make "bad calls"

But champions win despite "bad calls". Right off the top of my head- Polamalu's interception on manning in 05 and Holmes "drop" in the endzone in the 08 championship

The steelers won both games, they never folded. The colts ravens and especially the seahawks did

It's history, four years ago! Get over it!

Akagi
08-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Good teams play well enough that the referees are never a factor.

--Chuck Noll

Psycho Ward 86
08-06-2010, 10:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN-iFmAAv5A&feature=fvsr

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/29/102677080_28cff1b92c.jpg

bawhahahaha!

kmsteelerwr15
08-06-2010, 11:04 PM

:rofl2:

Edman
08-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Levy kissing up to the fans simply because he's in Seattle. This would mean something, if Seattle actually played well enough to win that game.

Don't give those nobodies from Seattle the dignation of having a topic on here. Seattle sucks. They're not worth the time, or the effort. They're not a division rival, hell, they're not even in our conference. At the end of the day, we have the trophy along with it's five siblings, and they have an empty trophy case. F them.

Mach1
08-07-2010, 01:20 AM
It wasn't the ref's that give up the longest run in super bowl history!!!

7willBheaven
08-07-2010, 01:55 AM

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/29/102677080_28cff1b92c.jpg

bawhahahaha!

I like the video I made about the Steelers season that year much much better, haha...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncOP-9pZD7c

Mattsme
08-07-2010, 02:09 AM
Seattle still has a football team? :noidea:

Huh, the things you learn around here...

fansince'76
08-07-2010, 02:43 AM
"It was a tough thing for me. I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that," said the veteran of 15 NFL seasons and two Super Bowls.

Leavy didn't specify which plays he "kicked" that day in Detroit.

Early in the fourth quarter, tackle Sean Locklear was called for holding on a pass completion that would have put the Seahawks at the Pittsburgh 1, in position for the go-ahead touchdown. After the penalty, Matt Hasselbeck threw an interception, and then was called for a low block on a play that ended with him tackling Pittsburgh's Ike Taylor on the defensive back's return.Uh, those were the only two penalties that were called on the Squawks in the fourth quarter of that game, so it HAD to be those two calls: SB XL (click on "Play-by-Play" link) (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2006020500/2005/POST21/seahawks@steelers/analyze#analyze:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-boxscore)

4th Quarter

Seattle Seahawks continues ...

2-10-SEA 48 (15:00) S.Alexander left end to PIT 47 for 5 yards (C.Hampton).
3-5-PIT 47 (14:17) M.Hasselbeck pass to B.Engram to PIT 30 for 17 yards (I.Taylor).
1-10-PIT 30 (13:32) S.Alexander right tackle to PIT 24 for 6 yards (T.Polamalu).
2-4-PIT 24 (13:10) S.Alexander up the middle to PIT 19 for 5 yards (A.Smith).
1-10-PIT 19 (12:35) M.Hasselbeck pass to J.Stevens to PIT 1 for 18 yards (C.Hope; T.Polamalu). PENALTY on SEA-S.Locklear, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at PIT 19 - No Play.
1-20-PIT 29 (12:08) M.Hasselbeck sacked at PIT 34 for -5 yards (C.Hampton).
2-25-PIT 34 (11:34) S.Alexander left end to PIT 27 for 7 yards (J.Porter).
3-18-PIT 27 (10:54) M.Hasselbeck pass intended for D.Jackson INTERCEPTED by I.Taylor at PIT 5. I.Taylor to PIT 29 for 24 yards (M.Hasselbeck). PENALTY on SEA-M.Hasselbeck, Low Block, 15 yards, enforced at PIT 29.

Pittsburgh Steelers at 10:46

1-10-PIT 44 (10:46) W.Parker up the middle to PIT 45 for 1 yard (M.Tubbs).
2-9-PIT 45 (10:10) B.Roethlisberger pass to A.Randle El pushed ob at SEA 48 for 7 yards (E.Pruitt).
3-2-SEA 48 (9:44) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger up the middle to SEA 43 for 5 yards (J.Babineaux).
1-10-SEA 43 (9:04) A.Randle El pass to H.Ward for 43 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Play was a reverse pass. QB pitched left to 39-Parker. Parker hands off to 82-Randle El coming right who throws for a TD.
J.Reed extra point is GOOD, Center-G.Warren, Holder-C.Gardocki.

Seattle Seahawks at 08:56

J.Reed kicks 69 yards from PIT 30 to SEA 1. J.Scobey to SEA 16 for 15 yards (R.Colclough).
1-10-SEA 16 (8:48) M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete to D.Jackson.
2-10-SEA 16 (8:40) M.Hasselbeck right end to SEA 34 for 18 yards. FUMBLES, RECOVERED by PIT-T.Polamalu at SEA 40. T.Polamalu to SEA 33 for 7 yards (R.Tobeck). Play Challenged by SEA and REVERSED. M.Hasselbeck right end to SEA 34 for 18 yards (L.Foote).
1-10-SEA 34 (8:11) S.Alexander left tackle to SEA 38 for 4 yards (C.Hampton).
2-6-SEA 38 (7:33) M.Hasselbeck pass to J.Jurevicius pushed ob at PIT 49 for 13 yards (D.Townsend).
1-10-PIT 49 (7:19) M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete to J.Jurevicius.
2-10-PIT 49 (7:13) S.Alexander right end to PIT 47 for 2 yards (C.Hoke).
3-8-PIT 47 (6:36) M.Hasselbeck sacked at SEA 48 for -5 yards (D.Townsend).
4-13-SEA 48 (6:28) T.Rouen punts 52 yards to end zone, Center-J.Darche, Touchback.

Pittsburgh Steelers at 06:15

1-10-PIT 20 (6:15) J.Bettis left tackle to PIT 18 for -2 yards (C.Darby).
2-12-PIT 18 (5:33) J.Bettis right tackle to PIT 24 for 6 yards (M.Boulware; D.Lewis).
Timeout #2 by PIT at 04:45.
3-6-PIT 24 (4:45) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass to A.Randle El to PIT 31 for 7 yards (J.Babineaux).
1-10-PIT 31 (3:59) J.Bettis up the middle to PIT 35 for 4 yards (L.Tatupu).
Timeout #1 by SEA at 03:54.
2-6-PIT 35 (3:54) J.Bettis left tackle to PIT 38 for 3 yards (D.Lewis).
Timeout #2 by SEA at 03:51.
3-3-PIT 38 (3:51) B.Roethlisberger left end to PIT 41 for 3 yards (L.Hill).
1-10-PIT 41 (3:09) J.Bettis right tackle to PIT 43 for 2 yards (L.Tatupu; M.Boulware).
Timeout #3 by SEA at 03:04.
2-8-PIT 43 (3:04) J.Bettis right tackle to PIT 43 for no gain (L.Tatupu).
3-8-PIT 43 (2:18) J.Bettis up the middle to PIT 47 for 4 yards (L.Hill).
Two-Minute Warning
4-4-PIT 47 (2:00) C.Gardocki punts 53 yards to end zone, Center-G.Warren, Touchback.

Seattle Seahawks at 01:51

1-10-SEA 20 (1:51) M.Hasselbeck pass to J.Stevens to SEA 26 for 6 yards (J.Farrior, A.Smith).
2-4-SEA 26 (1:28) (No Huddle) M.Hasselbeck pass to J.Jurevicius to PIT 39 for 35 yards (T.Polamalu).
1-10-PIT 39 (1:05) (No Huddle) M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete to J.Stevens. Ball thrown away.
2-10-PIT 39 (1:00) M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete to M.Strong.
3-10-PIT 39 (:52) M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete to B.Engram.
4-10-PIT 39 (:47) M.Hasselbeck pass to B.Engram to PIT 26 for 13 yards (T.Polamalu).
1-10-PIT 26 (:35) (No Huddle) M.Hasselbeck spiked the ball to stop the clock.
2-10-PIT 26 (:34) M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete to S.Alexander (T.Carter).
3-10-PIT 26 (:27) M.Hasselbeck pass to J.Stevens to PIT 23 for 3 yards (T.Carter).
4-7-PIT 23 (:08) (No Huddle) M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete to J.Stevens (B.McFadden).

Pittsburgh Steelers at 00:03

1-10-PIT 23 (:03) B.Roethlisberger kneels to PIT 22 for -1 yards.
END GAME Yes, the call on Hasselbeck was a bad call, but as I recall, it didn't nullify a score by the Squawks or anything. This, however, WAS A HOLD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcTm9PPdT3I

I'm sorry, when you get a fistful of jersey and yank backwards, it's a goddamn hold, despite lardass Madden's protests (that didn't look like a hold to me!!!!). :rolleyes2:

Besides, those really aren't the calls that Squawks fans always cry and whine about anyway. The ones they bitch about the most are the push off by Darrell Jackson on Chris Hope (which WAS a push off) and the TD by Ben (he broke the damn plane). And another thing, no mention of the fumble by Jerramy Stevens which was wrongfully overturned? Or the block in the back against Roethlisberger on the long INT return which they didn't bother to call? Or the helmet-to-helmet hit on Hines out of bounds that they also didn't bother to call? Nothing to see here. Disney Channel II needs to give this bullshit "controversy" (that THEY originally created anyway) a rest already.

Galax Steeler
08-07-2010, 03:21 AM
They need to build a bridge and get the hell over it already.

Craic
08-07-2010, 03:56 AM
Oh, I don't know. Let's look at what he said again:

"It was a tough thing for me. I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that," said the veteran of 15 NFL seasons and two Super Bowls.

So, it may not have been a penalty that was "kicked" after all. I am wondering if it was the fumble by the Seahawk QB that was overturned. The other one? Probably the penalty on Hasselback as well. Though, I can see how that mistake would happen as it looked like he was cutting the legs out of the blocker as well.

zulater
08-07-2010, 04:33 AM
fansince76 covered a lot of what i was going to say. But one thing he left out that I believe epitimizes the slanted nature of the broadcast against the Steelers that day, which to me is a big reason there was such a contraversy to begin with, is the offensive interference call against Heath Miller in the first half. If you remember that call negated a big Steelers pick-up that would have put them in the red zone with a first down. Instead they ended up with a second and long situation, which they managed to overcome and they ended up scoring the td anyway. Now, here's the point of why I bring that play up. Was it a bad call? I don't know, because to this day I still haven't seen the replay, for reasons know only to themselves ABC never bothered to show us even one, even briefly. I've heard from people that have seen the game film that it was a borderline call at best. Yet I'll never know for sure because Madden and Co. didn't seem to think it mattered one way or the other and never gave us a replay. Oh yeah one other difference, rather than sulk the drive away like the Whiney Hawks the Steelers put the penalty behind them and got on with the business of making the plays neccessary to get the score. The Squawks had the same chance to overcome penalties, but weren't up to the task. Bottom line is neither team played a great game, but the Steelers made enough plays to be the winner at the end. The refs didn't award the Steelers 21 points, they earned them.

solardave
08-07-2010, 04:48 AM

That's right. The low block call(on Hasselbeck) was wrong. Even if he is talking about the holding call putting them at the one it doesn't matter.We were stuffing the run and he still threw an INT. Game over we win.

HometownGal
08-07-2010, 06:37 AM
It doesn't matter what this schmo says now - the game has long been over and I believe we won fair and square. The Waaaaahawks simply were not the better all-around team on the field that day and the end result proved it.

Suck an egg Cryhawks fans.

Killer
08-07-2010, 08:49 AM
YES!!! let the Seahawk fans relive it again!

SB XL

woo-hoo!

http://www.sportsblink.com/product_images/willie-parker-pittsburgh-steelers-xl-autographed-photograph-3354340.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/X8we_VKlr8U/0.jpg

http://www.btsports.com/hwardpic.jpg

http://www.fistfulofsports.com/uploaded_images/SB40-Trophy-783247.jpg

st33lersguy
08-07-2010, 09:14 AM
The one play that the head ref on NFL Network said was bad was the low block on the INT leading to the game clinching TD. There was no way that that penalty was the reason they scored the TD.

st33lersguy
08-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Steeler haters rub me the wrong way sometimes. They praise the patriots, colts, giants, and saints when they win the superbowl and say they "earned" it but when the steelers win the superbowl they say the only reason that happened was because of the refs. Talk to a steeler hater and they will have you believe that the steelers get every call and can only win when the refs hand them a win. These hypocrites however will completely ignore bad calls against the steelers.
Like the onside kick interference no call against Philly in 2000 that cost them a playoff appearance, or Joe Nedney's acting job in 2002 and the non-holding call against Jacksonville in 2007 that cost the steelers playoff wins. Or how about 2005 against the colts and the refs and the b.s. call on Polamalu's INT. You'll never hear a steeler hater acknowledge any of those calls, all they say is that the refs help the steelers in every win

steeldevil
08-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Steeler haters rub me the wrong way sometimes. They praise the patriots, colts, giants, and saints when they win the superbowl and say they "earned" it but when the steelers win the superbowl they say the only reason that happened was because of the refs. Talk to a steeler hater and they will have you believe that the steelers get every call and can only win when the refs hand them a win. These hypocrites however will completely ignore bad calls against the steelers.
Like the onside kick interference no call against Philly in 2000 that cost them a playoff appearance, or Joe Nedney's acting job in 2002 and the non-holding call against Jacksonville in 2007 that cost the steelers playoff wins. Or how about 2005 against the colts and the refs and the b.s. call on Polamalu's INT. You'll never hear a steeler hater acknowledge any of those calls, all they say is that the refs help the steelers in every win

I hear ya, Im also a Duke basketball fan.... So the only way my teams ever win is with help from the officials... :lol:

Haters gonna hate... Personally I love it. :grin:

ShoeHorn
08-07-2010, 10:00 AM
So did that ref also apologize for Jeramy Stevens dropping about 47 passes?

Nadroj 20
08-07-2010, 10:27 AM
The last sentence in the article sums it up. you are not going to have ANY football game get perfectly officiated. Its impossible.

The refs were fine and the seahawks simply lost

SteelerFanInStl
08-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Just what we need, more crying by the Seahawk fans. They guy should've kept his mouth shut instead of trying to kiss azz.

LLT
08-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Great points brought up by everyone.

Yes..the low block call on hasselbeck was a bad call...no way around it. But as Gary said, it would have still been Steelers ball, regardless of the call.

The two missed block in the back on Ben was blatant...and the Stevens fumble was a no brainer,(which was ruled dead even though Stevens caught the ball...turned...took a step..and then had his clock cleaned. Don't forget that we had two players ready to scoop that ball up when the whistle blew it dead!!)

That being said...I dont see any of the seahawks fans talking about the missed field goals. I dont see them talking about holding Hampton on virtually every play....AND they wont talk about the HORRIBLE time management at the end of the second quarter and at the end of the game.

SteelCityMan786
08-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Maybe Seattle would have won if they stopped Big Ben from scoring.

SteelerEmpire
08-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Leavy just HAPPENS to be in Seattle and comes out with this ? I think that Microsoft/ Seahawks owner slipped him some cash to say this....?

SteelCityMan786
08-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Leavy just HAPPENS to be in Seattle and comes out with this ? I think that Microsoft/ Seahawks owner slipped him some cash to say this....?

Bill Gates is a slick dude. But I won't buy it until I hear it from the NFL and they give me legit reasons to believe so.

steel9guy
08-07-2010, 05:48 PM
DANG THIS MAKES ME MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My eagles friend won't shut up about it. Jeez there were AS MANY BLOWN CALLS AGAINST US AS THERE WERE AGAINST THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bill Leavy is a 100% suck up loser.

SteelerEmpire
08-07-2010, 06:09 PM
I CHALLENGE ANYONE WHO BELIEVES THIS KNUCKLE-HEAD LEAVY (THAT HE MADE SOME BAD CALLS) TO POINT THEM OUT AND PROVE THAT THEY WERE WRONG !!! They were all within the realm of the rules !!! He's just trying to make press !!

BlastFurnace
08-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Got this from another site. I didn't write it, but it's pretty good:

20 Reasons Seattle Can't Blame the Refs:

For the Seattle crybabies and other excuse
makers...print this out and give it to them, no
need to say anything.

1. The Refs didn't give up the longest run in SB
history...Seattle's defense did.

2. The Refs didn't bite on a 43 yd trick play,
Randle to Ward for a TD...Seattle's defense did.

3. The Refs didn't allow Ben to scramble around
on a 3rd and 28 and complete a long pass to the 2
yd. line...Seattle's defense did.

4. The Refs didn't miss two field goals, that was
Seattle.

5. The Refs didn't fail to step out of bounds
late in the 1st half to stop the clock in Pitt
territory in a crunch time situation...Seattle's
offense did.

6. The Refs didn't let the 1st half clock tick
down from 48 seconds all the way down to 13
seconds before finally running their next play at
Pitt's 36 yd line...Seattle's offense did.

7. And on this play, 3rd down, 53 yds away from a
FG, it wasn't the Refs who tried and failed to go
deep for a TD rather than a safer 5-7 yd play and
timeout setting up a much easier FG
attempt....that, again, would be Seattle's
offense.

8. The Refs didn't get confused by Pitt's zone
defense and throw an INT...that would be
Seattle's QB.

9. The Refs didn't let a little physical contact
intimidate them from catching 4 very catchable
passes...that would be the Seattle TE Jeremy
Stevens.

10. With approx. 20 seconds left in the game,
knowing they need a TD and FG, in no particular
order, and in easy FG range on 4th down, it
wasn't the Refs who ignored the FG and elected to
throw up a prayer trying for a TD...that AGAIN
would be Seattle.

And Seattle if you're Steel crying and steel
reaching for excuses...
11. The Refs didn't constantly punt deep into the
end zone, repeatedly giving Pitt the ball at the
20 yd line...that of course was Seattle.

12. It wasn't the Refs who received a Christmas
gift wrapped easy INT lobbed in perfect position
to return deep into Pitt territory...the lucky
beneficiary of that break would be Seattle.

13. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when a
Steeler DB dropped an easy int early in the
game...that too would be a break for Seattle.

14. It wasn't the Refs who caught a break when a
Steeler WR dropped a very catchable TD
pass...that break again would go to Seattle.

15. It wasn't the scapegoat Refs that received a
break when a WR caught the ball, turned, stepped,
was hit hard enough to cause a fumble, and then
ruled INCOMPLETE...that would be of course,
another chance for Seattle.
(this was an interesting call considering that
after Troy's famous overruled Int, the NFL stated
that it WAS a catch. If so, than this definitely
WAS a catch)

16. The Refs werent the ones who caught a break
when at the conclusion of a 2nd qtr play, as a
Pitt DE was walking away, the Seattle Center
blindsided the defenseless player, leveling him
to the ground. This mysteriously unseen crime was
again another break for Seattle.

17. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when Pitt
QB Big Ben was blocked in the back as he pursued
the DB who he'd tossed an int to...that again
would go to Seattle.

18. It wasn't the Refs who stopped Seattle RB
Alexander in a few key situations. That would be
the Pittsburgh Steelers.

19. It wasn't the Refs who converted many of
their 3rd downs yet stopped their opponent on 3rd
down often...that would be the Pittsburgh
Steelers.

20. And the very bottom line is this...On plays
when there wasn't any penalties...One team made
plays and one team didn't. The end result was the
final score, 21-10 Seattle was outcoached and
outplayed.

Godfather
08-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Even the Seasquawk-fellating announcers said that the holding call was legit.

Ben's TD is close but you can't say for sure it was wrong. The only flat-out blown call was the illegal block on the INT return which didn't have that much impact.

Edman
08-07-2010, 08:57 PM
If this goes over 10 pages it will be pretty ridiculous.

tube517
08-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Yawn

fansince'76
08-08-2010, 12:46 AM
He's just trying to make press !!

No, more like pandering to the biggest bunch of whiny pussies that calls itself an NFL fanbase in their own backyard.

steelerdude15
08-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Who cares, its been over four years and we have bigger things to worry about now. What everyone forgets is how the Steelers dominated the second half and how our defense stopped them. O well, some people will never stop crying.

Butch
08-08-2010, 05:48 AM
Funny only took him 4 years to come out with this, I just can't imagine all those sleepless nights he had. I wonder if his guilty conscience made him give up his game check???

How long did it take Ed Hochuli to admit he made a mistake when he blew that call in the Titans game? He came out the very next day. Hochuli is probably the best ref in the buisness and I'm sure he's blown his share of calls but I don't see him coming out 4 years after the fact sayin' this kind of B.S.

Since this asshole is having such a hard time getting over it maybe the NFL should do him a favor and put him out of the league...would hate to think they would have a guy out there with such low self-esteem. I definitely don't want to see him officiating over any Steeler games.

Butch
08-08-2010, 05:56 AM

You know the funny thing is in all of these games the NFL came out and appologized to us for getting the calls wrong every single one. They even did it for the Indy game and oh by the way we won that game, imagine that. We had tons of bad calls in that game. They didn't give us a safety when we tackled Peyton in the endzone, over turned Troy's Int. just to name a few. We won, overcame the refs so that idiot holmgrin can get over himself and his failures because when it comes right down to it his time management and whining cost his team as much as anything.

Fire Levy and move on!!!

steelpride12
08-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Looks like a little suck up job while he was in Seattle. After 4 years and everyone is still crying over the game. I couldn't begin to start naming ALL the plays that resulted in the Seafags losing that game. I mean Harrison get's held almost every game with no calls going his way, but it won't be bothering me in 4 years.

SteelerSal
08-08-2010, 08:37 AM
I found this article with hasselbecks comments about it;

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81996cc0/article/seahawks-qb-hasselbeck-has-kind-words-for-super-bowl-xl-ref

Pittsburgh players weren't as impressed with Leavy's admission.

"He should go ahead and retire if he feels so bad about it," Steelers left tackle Max Starks told the McKeesports Daily News. "Just do us all a favor and not referee anymore."

Said Steelers linebacker James Farrior: "I guess they need better refs. I don't know what to tell them. That was (the) 2005 (season). That's old stuff."

BlastFurnace
08-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Steelers veterans unfazed by ref's admission
By Mark Kaboly, MCKEESPORT DAILY NEWS
Sunday, August 8, 2010
Photos
click to enlarge

Max Starks offered up some advice for referee Bill Leavy if he still feels so terrible for a couple controversial calls he made during Super XL nearly five years ago.

"He should go ahead and retire if he feels so bad about it," Starks said Saturday. "Just do us all a favor and not referee anymore."

In Seattle for the first time Friday since refereeing Super Bowl XL in which the Steelers defeated the Seahawks 21-10, Leavy, a 16-year veteran official, unexpectedly apologized to the Seahawks for two blown fourth-quarter calls that helped the Steelers to the victory.

"I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter, and I impacted the game and, as an official, you never want to do that," said Leavy, who was at Seahawks camp discussing new rule changes. "It left me with a lot of sleepless nights, and I think about it constantly. I'll go to my grave wishing that I'd been better."

Steelers linebacker James Farrior is one of 11 starters from that Super Bowl still on today's roster. Farrior was taken aback when told of the admission by Leavy 54 months after the fact.

"I guess they need better refs," Farrior said. "I don't know what to tell them. That was 2005. That's old stuff."

Read more: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_693996.html

BuddhaBus
08-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Got this from another site. I didn't write it, but it's pretty good:

20 Reasons Seattle Can't Blame the Refs:

For the Seattle crybabies and other excuse
makers...print this out and give it to them, no
need to say anything.

1. The Refs didn't give up the longest run in SB
history...Seattle's defense did.

2. The Refs didn't bite on a 43 yd trick play,
Randle to Ward for a TD...Seattle's defense did.

3. The Refs didn't allow Ben to scramble around
on a 3rd and 28 and complete a long pass to the 2
yd. line...Seattle's defense did.

4. The Refs didn't miss two field goals, that was
Seattle.

5. The Refs didn't fail to step out of bounds
late in the 1st half to stop the clock in Pitt
territory in a crunch time situation...Seattle's
offense did.

6. The Refs didn't let the 1st half clock tick
down from 48 seconds all the way down to 13
seconds before finally running their next play at
Pitt's 36 yd line...Seattle's offense did.

7. And on this play, 3rd down, 53 yds away from a
FG, it wasn't the Refs who tried and failed to go
deep for a TD rather than a safer 5-7 yd play and
timeout setting up a much easier FG
attempt....that, again, would be Seattle's
offense.

8. The Refs didn't get confused by Pitt's zone
defense and throw an INT...that would be
Seattle's QB.

9. The Refs didn't let a little physical contact
intimidate them from catching 4 very catchable
passes...that would be the Seattle TE Jeremy
Stevens.

10. With approx. 20 seconds left in the game,
knowing they need a TD and FG, in no particular
order, and in easy FG range on 4th down, it
wasn't the Refs who ignored the FG and elected to
throw up a prayer trying for a TD...that AGAIN
would be Seattle.

And Seattle if you're Steel crying and steel
reaching for excuses...
11. The Refs didn't constantly punt deep into the
end zone, repeatedly giving Pitt the ball at the
20 yd line...that of course was Seattle.

12. It wasn't the Refs who received a Christmas
gift wrapped easy INT lobbed in perfect position
to return deep into Pitt territory...the lucky
beneficiary of that break would be Seattle.

13. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when a
Steeler DB dropped an easy int early in the
game...that too would be a break for Seattle.

14. It wasn't the Refs who caught a break when a
Steeler WR dropped a very catchable TD
pass...that break again would go to Seattle.

15. It wasn't the scapegoat Refs that received a
break when a WR caught the ball, turned, stepped,
was hit hard enough to cause a fumble, and then
ruled INCOMPLETE...that would be of course,
another chance for Seattle.
(this was an interesting call considering that
after Troy's famous overruled Int, the NFL stated
that it WAS a catch. If so, than this definitely
WAS a catch)

16. The Refs werent the ones who caught a break
when at the conclusion of a 2nd qtr play, as a
Pitt DE was walking away, the Seattle Center
blindsided the defenseless player, leveling him
to the ground. This mysteriously unseen crime was
again another break for Seattle.

17. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when Pitt
QB Big Ben was blocked in the back as he pursued
the DB who he'd tossed an int to...that again
would go to Seattle.

18. It wasn't the Refs who stopped Seattle RB
Alexander in a few key situations. That would be
the Pittsburgh Steelers.

19. It wasn't the Refs who converted many of
their 3rd downs yet stopped their opponent on 3rd
down often...that would be the Pittsburgh
Steelers.

20. And the very bottom line is this...On plays
when there wasn't any penalties...One team made
plays and one team didn't. The end result was the
final score, 21-10 Seattle was outcoached and
outplayed.

:nod: Does anything else need to be said but this? Screw the Cryhawks!! :cry02: :cry02::Cry: :Cry: :Cry: :Cry: :binky: :binky: :violin: Check the record books, assholes!

silver & black
08-08-2010, 11:35 AM
This is laughable, at best. If I recall correctly, there were bad calls on both teams. It wasn't the best officiated game, for the most part. Both teams had the same officials.

Don't get pissed at me Steelers fans; I think the Squawks could have won that game if they had shown up. The Steelers didn't have their best stuff that day. It all comes down to who wanted it more... I think the outcome showed which team that was.

I have to laugh when I hear complaints about officials. I'm a fan of the most hated, most robbed, most penalized team in the history of the game. NO ONE gets screwed by the refs more than the Raiders. To all those whiny ass little girls out there complaining about bad calls... hike your skirts up and GET OVER IT!

fansince'76
08-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Don't get pissed at me Steelers fans; I think the Squawks could have won that game if they had shown up. The Steelers didn't have their best stuff that day.

Not at all. What DOES piss me off are the whiny assclowns who act like the Seahawks actually played well in that game and that the officials canceled out a brilliant performance on their part. They didn't. They never bring up the multitude of dropped passes by Jerramy Stevens, the two missed FGs by their PK or that fatass Holmgren's Pop Warner-level clock management at the end of both halves. No, it was the officials and the officials alone that caused them to lose. The FACT is, it was one of the worst SBs ever played, by both teams, and because of that, Disney Channel II, being Disney Channel II, made a ruckus of the officiating. I'm sick and damn tired of hearing about it already.

SteelerEmpire
08-08-2010, 12:14 PM
This all just goes to show the underlying HATE they have for the Steelers. I think, for some reason, it goes beyond just good sportsmanship rivalry. They try to get the team, team players and fans OUTSIDE of the football field. For example, and respectively, this current thing with Leavy, the allegations against Ben and the Steeler fan that lost his eye last year in a Chicago bar "just because he was a Steeler fan"! There have been 38 other SB winners and no one has issue with their victories (with the exception of the Patriots... but you can't miss the "reasons" for them), but there is something under-handed and sinister about EVERY Steeler SB victory if you listen to the rival masses of fans !

Makes me feel like the Steelers are the "Jews" of the NFL ...lol...

BlastFurnace
08-08-2010, 12:43 PM
I have to laugh when I hear complaints about officials. I'm a fan of the most hated, most robbed, most penalized team in the history of the game. NO ONE gets screwed by the refs more than the Raiders. To all those whiny ass little girls out there complaining about bad calls... hike your skirts up and GET OVER IT!

The worst call I have ever seen was the Tuck Rule fumble in 2001. No-one had ever heard of that rule before that day. Brady Fumbled, pure and simple, but the officials ruined that game by making that call.

BlastFurnace
08-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Until the NFL goes through every single Super Bowl game and re-analyzes every single play...and perhaps crowns new champions for some of the games because something wasn't called right....then Dick Eisen and all these other media types need to shut their mouths.

The NFL is slowly becoming the NBA to me. Just a bunch of whiny players, officials, and a Commissioner that likes to manipulate events.

Edman
08-08-2010, 01:12 PM
No one will nor should get mad at you S&B.

Seattle should've won if they had shown up, but they didn't. They has several opportunities to win that game and couldn't capitalize.

BlastFurnace
08-08-2010, 01:38 PM
No one will nor should get mad at you S&B.

Seattle should've won if they had shown up, but they didn't. They has several opportunities to win that game and couldn't capitalize.

I don't know if they should have won. The Steelers didn't play a good game either. IMO, both teams played like garbage that day. That Seattle team fell on their face after that game and hasn't bounced back. The Steelers did.

Part of being a great team is winning when you don't have your best and Seattle couldn't do that.

Godfather
08-08-2010, 03:37 PM
That article should have mentioned Pete Morelli. Or the officiating in the 2008-09 AFC Championship Game. Or the game we lost to the Oilers in '89 where they were helped by four timeouts in a half. Or the ref who couldn't count 11 properly, causing Cowher to stuff a photo into his pocket.

memphissteelergirl
08-08-2010, 03:59 PM
They need to build a bridge and get the hell over it already.

What he said.

stillers4me
08-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Max Starks is my hero.

HometownGal
08-08-2010, 05:15 PM
That article should have mentioned Pete Morelli. Or the officiating in the 2008-09 AFC Championship Game. Or the game we lost to the Oilers in '89 where they were helped by four timeouts in a half. Or the ref who couldn't count 11 properly, causing Cowher to stuff a photo into his pocket.

:applaudit: :applaudit: :thumbsup: Spot on!

SMR
08-08-2010, 05:18 PM
RENTON, Wash. -- NFL referee Bill Leavy acknowleded he made mistakes in the Seattle Seahawks 2006 Super Bowl loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers

Read the rest at : http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5444048

BUMMER

Wow, oh wow. That Super Bowl was FOUR years ago, and now he decides to talk about "this".
:poop:

polamalubeast
08-09-2010, 12:41 PM
I have no respect for the Seahawks.

It's really pathetic to see her baby.

He should look in the mirror.:Cry::coffee:

steel striker
08-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Good teams overcome things like adversity and, as far as I'm concerned the seahawks were not a good team that day. Our steelers simply made more plays to win that game. Man if you went over just about every super bowl that was close I'm sure you could say the calls went in favor of one team or the other. Usually the team that wins made that one extra play that made the difference. Too bad the media can't ever give the steelers any credit when our guys win the big game.

smokin3000gt
08-09-2010, 04:07 PM
I think the whole thing is bullshit. The guy doesn't say two words for more than 4 years and brings it up all of a sudden without being asked? Then the dick hole won't talk about which to plays he's talking about?? Why wait until now to make a case of it? Like godfather said, every team has to deal with bs calls. It sucks but their not the only ones.

Dino 6 Rings
08-09-2010, 04:23 PM
If our 2nd year QB doesn't have a complete melt down and underthrow a soft pass to the corner of the endzone that is picked late in the game, the Steelers go up big and smash in the Seattle Fans skulls.

Maybe you should go cry to someone who cares, we've been back to the Super Bowl and won another since, how about you Seahawks? How's it taste being considered one of the worst teams in football again?

Dino 6 Rings
08-09-2010, 04:28 PM
With the Lead, 3rd and Long, need a ton to get the 1st and pretty much end the game, the Steelers have a holding called on them in the endzone, Safety and have to give the ball back to the Cardinals. Who then score and take the lead. Did the Steelers cry foul? No, they went out and won the effing game.

Suck it Seattle, I don't care about your broken hearts. Next time have your TE who talks smack actually make plays instead of being scared to catch the ball and next time you have a holding call go against you, don't get sacked on the following play and then throw a pick you morons!!!!

GodfatherofSoul
08-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Didn't the tight end for the Seahawks get away with a 3 steps after the catch fumble? There were a couple of calls in that game they got away with, too.

Edman
08-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Holmgren is a perfect candidate for Cleveland. Gutless, Makes excuses for his failures, and is an overall sore loser.

polamalubeast
08-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Super bowl XL Official admits blown calls (what about XLIII???)

Did you guys see this? Nothing new if you asked me. I wonder if Arizona/Pitt SB refs will step forward in 2013 to admit a few things. lol

I still always tell Steelers fans to be thankful they played against Seattle/Arizona and not a Dallas where they would NOT get favoritism.

http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?t=50495

:coffee::rolleyes2:

BlastFurnace
08-09-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm just happy that Seattle has to reminded their misery again. Let's do this again in 4 years.

NCSteeler
08-10-2010, 12:16 AM
They might have had a chance had Porter not completely punked their TE, what a freaking mental pussy.

fansince'76
08-10-2010, 12:54 AM
Super bowl XL Official admits blown calls (what about XLIII???)

Did you guys see this? Nothing new if you asked me. I wonder if Arizona/Pitt SB refs will step forward in 2013 to admit a few things. lol

I still always tell Steelers fans to be thankful they played against Seattle/Arizona and not a Dallas where they would NOT get favoritism.

http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?t=50495

:coffee::rolleyes2:

Yeah, it's a well-known fact that the Steelers have never won a SB on the up and up. They bought the refs for XL and XLIII and won IX, X, XIII and XIV due to being the only team in the league whose entire roster was on roids (c'mon, didn't guys like Lambert and Ham pretty much scream "juiced up?"). :coffee:

Craic
08-10-2010, 02:38 AM
This is laughable, at best. If I recall correctly, there were bad calls on both teams. It wasn't the best officiated game, for the most part. Both teams had the same officials.

Don't get pissed at me Steelers fans; I think the Squawks could have won that game if they had shown up. The Steelers didn't have their best stuff that day. It all comes down to who wanted it more... I think the outcome showed which team that was.

Ahh get over it. The Immaculate reception was completely legal! :chuckle:

st33lersguy
08-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Seawhiner fans cry about this

http://mondesishouse.blogspot.com/2010/08/bill-leavy-didnt-cost-seahawks-super.html#more

fansince'76
08-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Seawhiner fans cry about this

http://mondesishouse.blogspot.com/2010/08/bill-leavy-didnt-cost-seahawks-super.html#more

Actually, the writer was telling the whiners to STFU already and get over it:

This reaction from Pereira is not surprising at all; he's sticking up for one of his own, and that's to be expected. But he said what needed to be said, once and for all, with this statement:

"Did Leavy's calls determine the winner of Super Bowl XL? Absolutely not! In truth, there were missed calls that went against both teams. Let's all put aside our allegiances and go back four years and look at the game objectively. If we do, we will see that the Seahawks did not play well and neither, actually, did the Steelers."

Truer words have never been spoken. And hopefully, this will be the last time we have to hear about this tired old topic.

Unfortunately, it won't be the last time we'll hear about it.

st33lersguy
08-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Actually, the writer was telling the whiners to STFU already and get over it:

I am not talking about the writer I am talking about what Mike Perrera the former VP of officiating said

First, he didn't "kick" two calls in the fourth quarter. He was clearly incorrect when he called Matt Hasselbeck for a low block after the interception when Hasselbeck attempted to go low through a blocker in an attempt to make the tackle. It would only have been a foul if Matt would have made contact with the blocker, but he didn't, so it should not have been called.

Leavy piled on himself by saying that his holding call on Sean Locklear was incorrect. That is not true. It was a hold and should have been called. If anything, you could have made a case that the Steelers were offside and, if the play had been officiated correctly, the penalties would have offset and the down replayed. In any case, the reception would not have been allowed to stand.

"Did Leavy's calls determine the winner of Super Bowl XL? Absolutely not! In truth, there were missed calls that went against both teams. Let's all put aside our allegiances and go back four years and look at the game objectively. If we do, we will see that the Seahawks did not play well and neither, actually, did the Steelers."

fansince'76
08-10-2010, 12:41 PM
I am not talking about the writer I am talking about what Mike Perrera the former VP of officiating said

First, he didn't "kick" two calls in the fourth quarter. He was clearly incorrect when he called Matt Hasselbeck for a low block after the interception when Hasselbeck attempted to go low through a blocker in an attempt to make the tackle. It would only have been a foul if Matt would have made contact with the blocker, but he didn't, so it should not have been called.

Leavy piled on himself by saying that his holding call on Sean Locklear was incorrect. That is not true. It was a hold and should have been called. If anything, you could have made a case that the Steelers were offside and, if the play had been officiated correctly, the penalties would have offset and the down replayed. In any case, the reception would not have been allowed to stand.

I took that as Pereira basically telling the whiners to STFU and get over it too. They won't, they'll just claim that Pereira, being the NFL's VP of Officiating at that time, is playing a game of CYA and was also in on the "big conspiracy to rob the Seahawks" (which is what they said 4½ years ago when he initially stated the officiating was on the up and up) so what can ya do? :noidea: Hell, I've even seen some of them claim that the only reason Leavy "confessed" now is because Pereira recently stepped down (no, the fact that this is the first time Leavy has been in the Seattle area since the game and he felt a need to pander and attempt to ingratiate himself with a fanbase that considers him to basically be Satan incarnate had nothing to do with it). :rolleyes2:

SteelMember
08-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Ahhh Geez. This again. :doh:

Apparently we didn't pay enough to just win. Making it go away costs extra. :rolleyes2:

BlastFurnace
08-10-2010, 05:24 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ref-taking-super-mistakes-too-hard

Ref taking Super mistakes too hard

Updated Aug 9, 2010 3:19 PM ET

The recent remarks by referee Bill Leavy admitting to the Seattle Seahawks that he made two bad calls during their Super Bowl XL loss have rekindled the strong emotions of so many: those who are Seattle Seahawks fans, those who don't like the Pittsburgh Steelers, and even many Steelers fans and Steelers players who are insulted that Leavy's calls may have tainted their Super Bowl victory.

I have to admit that I was bit surprised when I read that Leavy addressed the calls with the media. Surprised, but not shocked.

Read more: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ref-taking-super-mistakes-too-hard

polamalubeast
08-10-2010, 08:50 PM
In an article published on FoxSports yesterday, written by Mike Pereira, the former NFL Vice President of Officiating, Pereira dispels Bill Leavy's claims that he "kicked" two calls in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XL in Detroit, MI.

read more

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/432763-super-bowl-xl-mike-pereira-leavy-didnt-err

polamalubeast
08-10-2010, 09:13 PM
seattle=:countdown:frusty:

The Seahawks will be for at least one of the worst team in history to have participate in the super bowl.

The steelers have not had a good game and Roethlisberger was nervous because he was young but the Seahawks have not even been able to win.

Excuses are for losers.

The Seahawks were unable to overcome adversity.

The 2005 season for the Seahawks were a fluke.

Firstly the NFC was very low in 2005 and over the Seahawks have had a very easy schedule, which is why they were 13-3.

And they have only beaten 3 teams with a winning record in 2005 and victories against the Cowboys and the Giants were very lucky victories.

And another team with a winning record they beat, it was the Colts, but Peyton Manning has almost no play.

The Seahawks are proof it was not a good team when he had competition.

Just three seasons of 10 or more wins in the last 20 years is really poor.

The Seahawks have won their division in 2004 and 2006, but in another division, the Seahawks have missed the playoffs.

The better team than the steelers have beaten a playoff in 2005, it was the Colts and the worst is likely the Seahawks.

And you must remember that the steelers won 21-0 against the Seahawks in 2007, even if Santonio Holmes, Hines Ward, Casey Hampton and Troy Polamalu has not played.

And the Seahawks have always been a soft team on the road.

I have great respect for the cards, because even if they lose against us in 2008, they prove that they had their place in the super bowl and they showed a lot of character after the interception of Harrison.

But the Seahawks do not stop to prove they have not been able to overcome adversity and they did not have much character.

SirHulka
08-11-2010, 04:08 AM
Were those calls ticky-tacky? Yes. Could they have been non-calls, or the other way around? Easily. Could they have changed the outcome of the game? Possibly. Were the Seahawks screwed? Maybe. Does it make any difference? No. NFLN keeps bringing it up, because it's on their top ten controversial calls.

What was it Rambo said to the sheriff in 'First Blood'? "Let it go."

Interesting word, Sheriff. It comes from England. Each Shire had a judge, called a Reeve. He was known as the Shire Reeve, which over here, morphed from shire reeve to sheriff.

memphissteelergirl
08-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Move on, Seattle! You LOST!

Nadroj 20
08-11-2010, 11:43 AM

Yes its that simple.

venom
08-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Seattle went into SuperBowl XL with the # 1 offense and they scored only 10 points ? Yeeeesh . Have to score more than 10 points to win a football game most of the time .

Indo
08-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Interesting word, Sheriff. It comes from England. Each Shire had a judge, called a Reeve. He was known as the Shire Reeve, which over here, morphed from shire reeve to sheriff.

Hmmmmm...the more you know...

SirHulka
08-12-2010, 01:42 AM

Actually, this didn't come from Seattle. It came from the ref.

hotrodder07
08-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Anyone post this yet?

Seahawks apologize for not making any plays in Super Bowl XL:

http://www.sportspickle.com/might-have-heard:300/seahawks-apologize-for-not-making-any-plays-in-super-bowl-xl

:lol:

SMR
08-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Anyone post this yet?

Seahawks apologize for not making any plays in Super Bowl XL:

http://www.sportspickle.com/might-have-heard:300/seahawks-apologize-for-not-making-any-plays-in-super-bowl-xl

:lol:

That was just icing on the cake! :rofl:

O'Malley
08-13-2010, 04:58 PM
I hear this arguement almost daily being from Portland OR. The Seahawk fans just can not move on. It seems there are as many Seahawk fans here as there is in Seattle. They cringe at the sight of me in my #86 jersey.

Kittyfish
08-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Well, when you realistically expect the Seahawks to appear in another Super Bowl? This was probably pretty much their only shot for a while - no wonder they can't let it go.

silver & black
08-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Ahh get over it. The Immaculate reception was completely legal! :chuckle:

I've been over it for a long time. No use crying over spilled milk. It was a different time; no instant replay, no QB's with dresses for uniforms, DB's allowed to "bump" the whole way down the field, etc... That game was played by the two baddest teams to ever play the game... in the best era in NFL history. Too bad what the game has become these days.

ps... The Immaculate deception may have been legal, but it wasn't the right call. :boink:...:grin: