PDA

View Full Version : I am very worried!

polamalubeast
08-19-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm not worried about the defense, since Rex Grossman has always been great in the preseason....But in offense, it is painful to Watch.....Dwyer had a very good game before the fumble, but for the rest it was awful

The o-line had a bad game and it is very worrying....Too many penalty.....In the second half of last season, the offense had a lot of turnovers and tonight they made three turnovers in the first half....Disappointing!

st33lersguy
08-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Pretty frickin awful when the offensive player that plays the best is Jon Dwyer

Psycho Ward 86
08-19-2013, 09:41 PM
shouldnt be any more worried than usual. offense looks like its in prime midseason form

X-Terminator
08-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Preseason, folks.

PRE. SEA. SON.

Settle down, for Heaven's sake.

katmandu
08-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Preseason, folks.

PRE. SEA. SON.

Settle down, for Heaven's sake.That's all well and good but when you see your Pro Bowl center getting dominated and tossed around like a rag doll !! Just saying...... Not a good sign !

Beachum needs to replace Gilbert ASAP!

steelreserve
08-20-2013, 12:20 AM
I know you can only learn so much from preseason, but what I've seen so far is the first team offense getting its ass handed to it, the first-team defense being just OK, and the rookies/newcomers being the only ones who have their shit together. Except for Bell, who is getting beat up so often that it is starting to be a concern, and that's the one thing you legitimately CAN be concerned about in preseason.

Yeah, I get it, the games aren't for real. But we've really looked out of whack. We need to get back in whack, and soon.

Psycho Ward 86
08-20-2013, 12:20 AM
That's all well and good but when you see your Pro Bowl center getting dominated and tossed around like a rag doll !! Just saying...... Not a good sign !

Beachum needs to replace Gilbert ASAP!

to be fair, it sounds like barry cofield has been an amazing player throughout his entire career and just hasnt gotten the credit, from the way jaws and gruden were talking about him

TomlinSteelTribe
08-20-2013, 12:49 AM
I'm not worrying too much yet. Pass protection was bad, but when you talk about Dwyer being player of the game (for the Steelers), you're really talking about the OL. If Dwyer beats 2 guys, it's a borderline minor miracle. The runblocking was pretty good at times. Dwyer putting the ball on the ground with that contact, really bad. The OL has to improve in pass protection. Pretty young line. We'll see how bad the growing pains are come Sept. I don't think the OL met their potential tonight.

Defense looked pretty good. The pass rush was a little too sporadic for me to be happy, but that's vanilla schemes for ya. Willie Gay at starting corner will be a big concern, should it be reality at any point in the season. Hope Cortez can stay healthy. Shamarko played well in the back-ups portion. I think we'll see him on the field this season. Love the way he pulled up out of bounds and avoided a flag, after laying the wood on a couple hits. That's football savvy. And not the kind of football savvy you usually see from a rookie. JJones made that one play and even though he only had a FB to contend with, still a splash. McLendon did fine for himself from what I saw.

Antonio Brown worries me a bit as a #1. The guy would be a great #2. He's getting paid mid-range #1 money... I dunno how his situation is going to work out, but I don't think he's a shining spot on the roster with where he's at on the depth chart. Hope he proves me wrong. The young guys played well, other than Bell due to injury. Landry Jones had moments. Wheaton did some nice things and then learned it's a little different in the pros with his ridiculous E-W run (hopefully he earned at least a 5-minute talk in the coaches office about field position, getting what's available and going down, etc., for that exploration of the LOS's behind/arse). ST needs a lot of improvement too. Guess I'm just stating the obvious now, but what I'm saying is there were some positives. The sky isn't falling yet.

It's preseason. We've seen poor performances this time of year and have had a lot of success thereafter, when it counted. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed Haley-ball will work.

st33lersguy
08-20-2013, 12:57 AM
When the Steelers from 2010-2012, have invested FOUR picks in the 1st 2 rounds on offensive linemen, is it too much to ask for them to provide some pass protection and not commit a bunch of dumb penalties?

Spike
08-20-2013, 03:12 AM
and another brilliant F.O. move getting rid of Starks, I told you letting Max go was a mistake

hahahahaha - FG Todd

I've been telling you for months, Dink&dunk Haley sucks!

Ben is already pissed at him - won't even look his way and stays as far from that asshat as he can on the sidelines

Hire Arians!

LeBeau's #1 defense getting ass-raped by Rex Grossman too

they only look good against the run - which the passing league abandoned 5 years ago

Bluecoat96
08-20-2013, 05:17 AM
Geez people. It sounds on here like no one has ever watched any preseason games before this year. The offense isn't going to put anything on tape for their REGULAR SEASON opponents to figure out, thus making it a little easier for defenses to stop them. It's also the same thing for the defense. Someone who's experienced like Grossman will have an easy time picking apart a vanilla defense. Like someone said in another thread, the 0-16 Lions were undefeated in preseason. IT MEANS NOTHING!

So much overreaction on this forum.

Spike
08-20-2013, 05:38 AM
There Are None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See

steeldawg
08-20-2013, 05:45 AM
I don't think its overreaction, I don't even care about wins and losses in the preseason im just looking at how the first team is playing. The offense line was dreadful, defenders where beating our guys consistently and we committed a lot of drive stalling penalties. It looks like we picked up right where we left off last season, not coming ready to play, being out muscled, and making mental mistakes. Le'veon bell im not going to worry until its time to worry, he was a workhorse at michigan state and he is tough so I think he will be there when the season starts.

NJarhead
08-20-2013, 06:08 AM
Preseason, folks.

PRE. SEA. SON.

Settle down, for Heaven's sake.

Agreed. We went 0-4 in pre-season in 2001 then went on to a 13-3 reg. season record.

With that said, I think our O-Line got it's ass kicked, but I also have to say that the Washington front 7 looked really, really good attacking.

Master Blaster
08-20-2013, 07:28 AM
I'm not worrying too much yet. Pass protection was bad, but when you talk about Dwyer being player of the game (for the Steelers), you're really talking about the OL. If Dwyer beats 2 guys, it's a borderline minor miracle. The runblocking was pretty good at times. Dwyer putting the ball on the ground with that contact, really bad. The OL has to improve in pass protection. Pretty young line. We'll see how bad the growing pains are come Sept. I don't think the OL met their potential tonight.

Defense looked pretty good. The pass rush was a little too sporadic for me to be happy, but that's vanilla schemes for ya. Willie Gay at starting corner will be a big concern, should it be reality at any point in the season. Hope Cortez can stay healthy. Shamarko played well in the back-ups portion. I think we'll see him on the field this season. Love the way he pulled up out of bounds and avoided a flag, after laying the wood on a couple hits. That's football savvy. And not the kind of football savvy you usually see from a rookie. JJones made that one play and even though he only had a FB to contend with, still a splash. McLendon did fine for himself from what I saw.

Antonio Brown worries me a bit as a #1. The guy would be a great #2. He's getting paid mid-range #1 money... I dunno how his situation is going to work out, but I don't think he's a shining spot on the roster with where he's at on the depth chart. Hope he proves me wrong. The young guys played well, other than Bell due to injury. Landry Jones had moments. Wheaton did some nice things and then learned it's a little different in the pros with his ridiculous E-W run (hopefully he earned at least a 5-minute talk in the coaches office about field position, getting what's available and going down, etc., for that exploration of the LOS's behind/arse). ST needs a lot of improvement too. Guess I'm just stating the obvious now, but what I'm saying is there were some positives. The sky isn't falling yet.

It's preseason. We've seen poor performances this time of year and have had a lot of success thereafter, when it counted. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed Haley-ball will work.
William Gay is always two steps too far away to make a play. His nickname should be, Toast.

NJarhead
08-20-2013, 07:42 AM
William Gay is always two steps too far away to make a play. His nickname should be, Toast.

Funny, I got a text from my best friend last night: "22 = toast." lol

That looked like zone to me (the TD), but I need to re-watch.

polamalubeast
08-20-2013, 08:50 AM
shouldnt be any more worried than usual. offense looks like its in prime midseason form

Do I can want to see improvements?

- - - Updated - - -

Geez people. It sounds on here like no one has ever watched any preseason games before this year. The offense isn't going to put anything on tape for their REGULAR SEASON opponents to figure out, thus making it a little easier for defenses to stop them. It's also the same thing for the defense. Someone who's experienced like Grossman will have an easy time picking apart a vanilla defense. Like someone said in another thread, the 0-16 Lions were undefeated in preseason. IT MEANS NOTHING!

The record does not matter much, but I want to see the starters played well

Last night, I was very disappointed

ALLD
08-20-2013, 08:54 AM
A well oiled machine they are not. Looks like every man for himself out there. That is on coaching.

steel striker
08-20-2013, 08:56 AM
You don't win the championship in pre season!

dislocatedday
08-20-2013, 09:50 AM
When the Steelers from 2010-2012, have invested FOUR picks in the 1st 2 rounds on offensive linemen, is it too much to ask for them to provide some pass protection and not commit a bunch of dumb penalties?

+1.....This is my only major concern with this team. They have invested high picks from recent drafts into replenishing the O-line, and I can't say it is paying dividends yet outside of Pouncey. My hope is that these young guys are still learning the new zone-blocking scheme, and that is the reason why they look somewhat lost and confused out there. For once I would like to see Ben play behind a competent O-line. The team has not had what I would consider a really good O-line since the 2005-2006 Super Bowl season.

The national media loves to talk about the skill player position changes and how the team is in "decline" because of that, but other than missing Heath right now I am not concerned one bit with the players we currently have at the skill positions. I like what I see of the defense as a unit, and Jarvis and Shamarko look like they will be major impact players for us sooner rather than later which is exciting to me.

The O-line has to improve for this team to legitimately have a chance to go deeper into the postseason. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

ALLD
08-20-2013, 10:05 AM
No OL =
1. Ben running for his life.
2. No holes for RBs.
3. Ben gets injured.
4. No long passes.
5. Drive killing penalties.
6. At home watching playoffs again.

Iron Steeler
08-20-2013, 10:54 AM
We need an upper echelon LT. Period . Sure fire guy who can pass protect . Time to grow a pair next year and maybe trade some picks to move up and get one or pick one up in FA

steelreserve
08-20-2013, 11:25 AM

Come on, nobody's dumb enough to be confusing this with the regular season. There's a difference between looking half-assed because you're not going to break your neck for a preseason game, and just looking like crap because you don't have it together. There's been a bit much of the second one.

It's not like we've never seen the team play in the preseason before. They seriously need to get some shit figured out before the real games start. It's not overreaction. Well maybe some of it if people are really freaking out. "A little concerned" is probably the right way to put it.

Spike
08-20-2013, 11:31 AM
I am all for equality - Keep Tomlin

Fire Haley!

NJarhead
08-20-2013, 11:38 AM
http://galeri3.uludagsozluk.com/138/facepalm_227785.jpg

Spike
08-20-2013, 12:13 PM

Championship?

hahahaha

With this crew, we'll be battling to get back to 8-8!

Haley's Dink & Dunk has rapidly turned into Stink & Stunk

Run Ben Run!

NJarhead
08-20-2013, 12:27 PM
http://www.perftrends.com/images/why.jpg

polamalubeast
08-20-2013, 12:39 PM

But you can lose the Super Bowl or a playoff spot in August!

NJarhead
08-20-2013, 12:59 PM
http://modernmixing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/scratching-head.jpg

Spike
08-20-2013, 01:38 PM
No OL =
2. No holes for RBs.
3. Ben gets injured.
4. No long passes.

OK - I'll say it

Haley runs a chickenshit offense, afraid to throw deep

Haley's offense:

run
run
ask Ben for a miracle
punt

same as the end of last year

steel9guy
08-20-2013, 03:09 PM
As Tomlin said, "I don't get frustrated, I deal with the Issues." I"m getting frustrated with the same stuff year in and year out. I know it's preseason but that game last night was sad and pathetic.

SteelGhost
08-20-2013, 06:07 PM
No OL, and no TE =
2. No holes for RBs.
3. Ben gets injured.
4. No long passes.

Fixed for ya'. We need to find some TE who CAN block !

katmandu
08-20-2013, 06:17 PM
We need an upper echelon LT. Period . Sure fire guy who can pass protect . Time to grow a pair next year and maybe trade some picks to move up and get one or pick one up in FAI agree 100%.

Move Adams (too soft for LT) back to RT and make Gilbert the utility man.

polamalubeast
08-20-2013, 06:29 PM
Yesterday,Pouncey was awful too....Terrible game by him

katmandu
08-20-2013, 07:29 PM
Yesterday,Pouncey was awful too....Terrible game by himHe needed some humility shown to him.

Hope he learns from his mistakes.

Shoes
08-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Two game into the preseason and we're already swimming in chewed off fingernails.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z211/vestkap/fingernails_zps13dc771f.jpg (http://s190.photobucket.com/user/vestkap/media/fingernails_zps13dc771f.jpg.html)

stillers4me
08-20-2013, 07:50 PM
ummm...ewwww

Shoes
08-20-2013, 07:55 PM
ummm...ewwww

Actually, they look like someones toenails. For the serious worrywart, of course. :chuckle:

Heinz Hitman
08-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Come on, nobody's dumb enough to be confusing this with the regular season. There's a difference between looking half-assed because you're not going to break your neck for a preseason game, and just looking like crap because you don't have it together. There's been a bit much of the second one.

It's not like we've never seen the team play in the preseason before. They seriously need to get some shit figured out before the real games start. It's not overreaction. Well maybe some of it if people are really freaking out. "A little concerned" is probably the right way to put it.

This. I keep seeing people go "it's only preseason". Like we should not be worried that our guys are losing one-on-one battles and most of them are just generally looking clueless out there, while our opponents evidently didn't get the memo that they were supposed to just half-ass it and mail it in. I don't care if we go 0-4 in the preseason as long as we don't look like retards out there. Hopefully things turn around. I want to see some real fight and passion in these guys. I want to see a little less confusion and a little more discipline. OL, CB, TE, and RB are obvious areas of concern.

Shoes
08-20-2013, 09:54 PM
This. I keep seeing people go "it's only preseason". Like we should not be worried that our guys are losing one-on-one battles and most of them are just generally looking clueless out there, while our opponents evidently didn't get the memo that they were supposed to just half-ass it and mail it in. I don't care if we go 0-4 in the preseason as long as we don't look like retards out there. Hopefully things turn around. I want to see some real fight and passion in these guys. I want to see a little less confusion and a little more discipline. OL, CB, TE, and RB are obvious areas of concern.

It is only preseason. Why should I be worried, the players and coaches aren't. They are making the huge amounts of money to play a game that is meaningless in the turning of this world. If they want to humiliate themselves in 2013, happy trails. While I may have strong opinions about players and coaches at times, worrying about preseason or regular season football makes zero sense to me.

steelreserve
08-20-2013, 10:24 PM
It is only preseason. Why should I be worried, the players and coaches aren't. They are making the huge amounts of money to play a game that is meaningless in the turning of this world. If they want to humiliate themselves in 2013, happy trails. While I may have strong opinions about players and coaches at times, worrying about preseason or regular season football makes zero sense to me.

Well, don't be worried then, but most of us would like to see the team do well, and this is casting varying degrees of doubt on that ... so call it whatever you want, and that's what people are thinking.

Shoes
08-20-2013, 10:38 PM
Well, don't be worried then, but most of us would like to see the team do well, and this is casting varying degrees of doubt on that ... so call it whatever you want, and that's what people are thinking.

Who doesn't want to see the team do well? Worrying about it will change nothing....at all. Anyway, Ben said he's saving the TD's for regular season. :chuckle:

Steeldude
08-20-2013, 10:49 PM
Wait, I thought everyone(most) was saying how great and talented the O-line has become.

Shoes
08-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Wait, I thought everyone(most) was saying how great and talented the O-line has become.

Just when everyone started calming down, you show up! :chuckle:

Seven
08-20-2013, 11:09 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxIgTacYGGRsn-jL4y6Y8nhd635qQDHi54KqU6OAgllJOfjt-v (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=jean+luc+picard+facepalm&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=Sc0VT6pzRD-zzM&tbnid=cqcEwyFy9ECiVM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newsminer.com%2Ffeatures%2Fou tdoors%2Fstickin-it-in-fairbanks-the-dryland-version-of-stand-up%2Farticle_1859c06c-f500-11e2-8527-001a4bcf6878.html&ei=Xj0UUtvIKNaq4AP6hoCAAw&bvm=bv.50952593,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNHGcN45IQd_C7qDqS8szomYOh2qRA&ust=1377144537939429)

NJarhead
08-21-2013, 06:34 AM
Two game into the preseason and we're already swimming in chewed off fingernails.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z211/vestkap/fingernails_zps13dc771f.jpg (http://s190.photobucket.com/user/vestkap/media/fingernails_zps13dc771f.jpg.html)

YUCK!

I think I'll wait another hour before eating my breakfast.