PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin on Week 2 of the preseason

HollywoodSteel
08-19-2013, 12:45 PM
"We have a lot of ball left to play, and I’ll let the story tell itself."

That comes dangerously close to a new:

:tomlinism:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tomlin-on-Week-2-of-the-preseason/17052c91-5046-42a2-8f5f-d7e47f1a66ef

- - - Updated - - -

But seriously, I notice that he mentions intentionally not kicking touch backs in order to see his special team's coverage skills. Do coaches ever ask opposing coaches to do something like that? In our case, to see what Dunn can do? If the other team doesn't have a battle at the place kicker position I don't see why they wouldn't oblige.

HollywoodSteel
08-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Plus you'd think coaches would be eager to keep kick offs in play, especially after the first couple of series, in order to see who can make the team on special teams for them. Of course there's always more risk of injuries with that, but hey, that's the preseason for you.

NJarhead
08-19-2013, 12:51 PM
"We have a lot of ball left to play, and I’ll let the story tell itself."

That comes dangerously close to a new:

:tomlinism:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tomlin-on-Week-2-of-the-preseason/17052c91-5046-42a2-8f5f-d7e47f1a66ef

- - - Updated - - -

But seriously, I notice that he mentions intentionally not kicking touch backs in order to see his special team's coverage skills. Do coaches ever ask opposing coaches to do something like that? In our case, to see what Dunn can do? If the other team doesn't have a battle at the place kicker position I don't see why they wouldn't oblige.

I've often wondered that myself, but I've seen little to support that they do.

Remember a few years ago the re was a pre-season game between the Colts and the Ravens and Dungy was getting pissed because Billick kept calling time out. Turns out Billick just wanted to get a few more snaps for some folks.

HollywoodSteel
08-19-2013, 02:54 PM
I've often wondered that myself, but I've seen little to support that they do.

Remember a few years ago the re was a pre-season game between the Colts and the Ravens and Dungy was getting pissed because Billick kept calling time out. Turns out Billick just wanted to get a few more snaps for some folks.

Yeah, I can see where there might be frustration if coaches have opposing agendas - like one wanting more snaps and the other wanting to get off the field already - but that's why I think it would be a good idea for the head coaches to have a quick talk before the game to see if there are areas where they can help each other out.