PDA

View Full Version : Heath Miller reportedly to miss first month of season

polamalubeast
08-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers tight end Heath Miller tore three ligaments in a Week 16 loss against Cincinnati last season and was placed on PUP at the start of training camp.

According to Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review, Miller probably won't be back at least for the first month of the season and perhaps longer.

The Steelers have not set a timetable for his return, but he appears to be on a schedule similar to the one Rashard Mendenhall was on in 2012 when he came back from offseason ACL surgery, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/36745/Heath-Miller-reportedly-to-miss-first-month-of-season/Default.aspx

salamander
08-18-2013, 01:13 PM
If he's going to miss any games, I'd rather it be in the beginning of the season. I'd rather have him healthy for the end of the season and (presumably) the playoffs.

Shoes
08-18-2013, 01:13 PM
No surprise.

KeiselPower99
08-18-2013, 01:33 PM
David Johnson is gonna be off the PUP soon so he will be Paulsons backup. Id rather him rest it for the long haul then be out late when we need him

ALLD
08-18-2013, 02:52 PM
I cannot think of any position where the Steelers have not had an injury in the last five seasons where a key player has not missed a game. Maybe even three.

Psycho Ward 86
08-18-2013, 05:27 PM
David Johnson is gonna be off the PUP soon so he will be Paulsons backup. Id rather him rest it for the long haul then be out late when we need him

wow i cant believe i forgot about DJ. that actually makes me feel a decent bit better about the tight ends walking into the season

tube517
08-18-2013, 05:57 PM
We'll miss Earl but i'd rather him sit out and be completely healed than be out there hobbling.

86WARD
08-18-2013, 07:01 PM
We'll miss Earl but i'd rather him sit out and be completely healed than be out there hobbling.

This...

Dwinsgames
08-18-2013, 10:52 PM
I think he plays before the buy . how much sooner , I dunno ..... my gut feeling says week 4

Psycho Ward 86
08-18-2013, 11:13 PM
well, we went 3-1 in 2010 in 4 games without ben. i hope we can bring that same kind of determination to start the season and get some similiar results. As receivers, i think paulson and dj will actually be able to hold it down better than spaeth. although we'll probably miss spaeth's run blocking

one side only
08-19-2013, 12:37 PM
Not sure where the optimism for Heath Miller or David Johnson comes from. Right after Ed Bouchette opined Miller would be activated form the PUP and be on the roster at the beginning of the season, word got out that Miller was walking with a noticeable limp. David Johnson had a "clean up" procedure in July. Seems to me the most likely scenario is Miller stays on the PUP and Johnson is waived/injured. After Week 1, the Steelers would then sign a vested veteran who was cut at the end of the pre-season. Or, they stick with Paulson, McCoy, and Palmer until Miller is ready to return. If it were me, I would only keep two tight ends on the roster to begin with. Two, along with Will Johnson is enough.

Psycho Ward 86
08-19-2013, 12:40 PM
wish we were able to bring in visanthe shiancoe before the ravens did

steel striker
08-19-2013, 01:14 PM
I'd rather see Heath when he is healthy and, ready to go. We will certainly miss him because, to me he is the best complete TE in the business. No sense to rush him back.

st33lersguy
08-19-2013, 09:32 PM
At this point, Heath is probably the team's best blocker, he will be missed

polamalubeast
08-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 1m
Heath Miller likely back to practice ahead of PIT opener. Could be back early in the season as recovers from ACL surgery. Making progress

HollywoodSteel
08-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Not sure where the optimism for Heath Miller or David Johnson comes from. Right after Ed Bouchette opined Miller would be activated form the PUP and be on the roster at the beginning of the season, word got out that Miller was walking with a noticeable limp. David Johnson had a "clean up" procedure in July. Seems to me the most likely scenario is Miller stays on the PUP and Johnson is waived/injured. After Week 1, the Steelers would then sign a vested veteran who was cut at the end of the pre-season. Or, they stick with Paulson, McCoy, and Palmer until Miller is ready to return. If it were me, I would only keep two tight ends on the roster to begin with. Two, along with Will Johnson is enough.

The weird thing this year is that every freaking team seems to have a lost a TE to injury or homicide charges (or both). We will be competing with others for a very small talent pool. Teams with an extra TE might be looking to trade rather than cut given the marketplace.

Spike
08-20-2013, 01:15 PM
btw

Paulson looked like a Jr. middle school player trying to block grown men

he was beyond horrible

Dwinsgames
08-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Heath Miller might be their best O-Lineman and he plays TE .... that is a scary thought but most likely spot on

Mojouw
08-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Doesn't really matter if he comes back early in the year. After such an extensive and total knee injury the question is can he even be effective, let alone replicate the Pro Bowl year he was having last season. I still can not begin to understand how the off-season answer was Matt Spaeth. Uggghhhh.

HollywoodSteel
08-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Doesn't really matter if he comes back early in the year. After such an extensive and total knee injury the question is can he even be effective, let alone replicate the Pro Bowl year he was having last season. I still can not begin to understand how the off-season answer was Matt Spaeth. Uggghhhh.

Well, it's not like he was ever fleet of foot. If he can walk a route I'd rather have his hands extended for the ball than any other TE on the roster.