PDA

View Full Version : William Gay Predicts Ten Interceptions For The Steelers Cornerbacks In 2013

polamalubeast
08-18-2013, 09:27 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/08/william-gay-predicts-ten-interceptions-steelers-cornerbacks-2013/#axzz2cKZVOuGR

ALLD
08-18-2013, 09:31 AM
I predict Gay continues to get burned by #1 receivers.

Dwinsgames
08-18-2013, 09:33 AM
so I am guessing ...

Ike 1

Gay 1

Cortez 8

????

SteelerFanInStl
08-18-2013, 09:45 AM
so I am guessing ...

Ike 1

Gay 1

Cortez 8

????

That's about the only way it could possibly happen.

polamalubeast
08-18-2013, 09:51 AM

If Lebeau put Gay vs the number one WR,he is a idiot

smokin3000gt
08-18-2013, 10:27 AM
I predict Gay should keep his mouth shut and see what happens instead. Every time someone gets smoked in the back field it's Willy.

Count Steeler
08-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Why do athletes speak? Keep your mouth shut and show your stuff on the field. These "predictions" rarely get fulfilled and usually backfire.

st33lersguy
08-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Just 10 INTs? The cornerbacks should be shooting for more lofty goals. 10 INTs for 3 CBs really isn't high. Frankly, I think it would be easier on the entire team if these CBs learned to actually catch INTs

polamalubeast
08-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Just 10 INTs? The cornerbacks should be shooting for more lofty goals. 10 INTs for 3 CBs really isn't high. Frankly, I think it would be easier on the entire team if these CBs learned to actually catch INTs

The last time the steelers had 10 interception by the CB,it was in 2000

Shoes
08-18-2013, 12:47 PM

This will be the more likely scenario......along with this in London, Sept 29.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhwfUGWbieU

Psycho Ward 86
08-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Why do athletes speak? Keep your mouth shut and show your stuff on the field. These "predictions" rarely get fulfilled and usually backfire.

to set the bar for themselves? to set a sense of accountability? because its harmless? because goal-oriented people are more successful? because its not like theyre pulling an anthony smith and guaranteeing anything?

Shoes
08-18-2013, 01:45 PM
to set the bar for themselves? to set a sense of accountability? because its harmless? because goal-oriented people are more successful? because its not like theyre pulling an anthony smith and guaranteeing anything?

Then he should speak for himself and not the other CB's. It's better to do the talking on the field. Like Count said they *rarely get fulfilled and usually backfire*. Ask Woodley.

Psycho Ward 86
08-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Then he should speak for himself and not the other CB's. It's better to do the talking on the field. Like Count said they *rarely get fulfilled and usually backfire*. Ask Woodley.

how do they backfire? if they dont happen? that doesnt mean it backfired, it just means falling short of a goal, usually a big one. its just a prediction. not a guarantee. not trash talk. its nothing that will implode the team. jesus, players around the league do this all the time.

lol @ players not being able to voice their goals without backlash. especially when it really isnt an extremely lofty one.

steeldawg
08-18-2013, 05:31 PM
I have no problem with him saying this 10 picks for our cornerbacks is high but not impossible. It will be tough for Ike to contribute though because he cant catch.

tube517
08-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Gay almost has as many sacks as INTs in his career. He doesn't even average 1 pick a season for his career. I don't hate Willie and he can say what he wants but with him and Ike out there, the averages are against them.

With that said, I think Cortez would be getting a majority of those (see Dwins' post for the breakdown). Now, if Josh Queen Victorian is out there starting for some reason, we're in deep shit.

steeldawg
08-18-2013, 05:58 PM
I will be happy with 10 picks from the entire defense

Shoes
08-18-2013, 06:12 PM
how do they backfire? if they dont happen? that doesnt mean it backfired, it just means falling short of a goal, usually a big one. its just a prediction. not a guarantee. not trash talk. its nothing that will implode the team. jesus, players around the league do this all the time.

lol @ players not being able to voice their goals without backlash. especially when it really isnt an extremely lofty one.

Players are paid to be in shape and play football, let your play do the talking for you and let others praise you. What has Gay actually accomplished to make such a prediction?

LLT
08-18-2013, 06:33 PM
I have no problem with him saying this 10 picks for our cornerbacks is high but not impossible. It will be tough for Ike to contribute though because he cant catch.

I actually agree with you on this. I think 10 interceptions is entirely possible. HOWEVER...I do have a problem with Gay making this prediction when I doubt if he is a major contributer to that goal.

Its sort of like when I first started my current career. There was a lady who had been here for 29 years and I used to tell everyone that between the two of us we had 30 years experience.

Edman
08-18-2013, 08:45 PM
I predict Willie Gay will get victimized on at least 5 big plays in 2013.

86WARD
08-18-2013, 09:35 PM
I'll go with the under. Book it.

HollywoodSteel
08-18-2013, 10:12 PM

I agree with you 100%, Psycho. It would be one thing if he were talking smack about another team or player specifically, thereby giving someone bulletin board material, but what the hell is the harm in this? Some smack talk from Steelers fans when the corners fail to meet this goal? Big deal. I like the confidence even if it is overblown.

Shoes
08-18-2013, 10:38 PM
I agree with you 100%, Psycho. It would be one thing if he were talking smack about another team or player specifically, thereby giving someone bulletin board material, but what the hell is the harm in this? Some smack talk from Steelers fans when the corners fail to meet this goal? Big deal. I like the confidence even if it is overblown.

You call it *confidence overblown*? I call it BS from someone who has accomplished nothing.

Dwinsgames
08-18-2013, 10:50 PM

I think 10 is an attainable number assuming Cortez Allen has a healthy season because I look for him to have the bulk of them ( he is the one that possesses hands not made of stone and eyes for the ball )

Psycho Ward 86
08-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Players are paid to be in shape and play football, let your play do the talking for you and let others praise you. What has Gay actually accomplished to make such a prediction?

who did gay praise? nobody. i think you're reading into this way too hard. theres no hyperbole or arrogance implied in setting a doable goal. this is not an "im going to break emmitt smith's career rushing yardage mark" statement by adrian peterson or a guarantee of victory against an undefeated team by anthony smith. i would be offended if he was shooting for anything lower. i sure would hope gay would demand a strong performance by his position group just as a quarterback demands excellence from his receivers. Accountability is good. donald driver said after his retirement that he thought aaron rodgers could have been a better leader if he wasnt so pushy and would take some of the blame for his receivers' mistakes. thats ludicrous. excellence demands excellence. the #1 pass defense in the league ought to set the bar high. what has gay ever done? he's been a nickel corner for a superbowl team and a starter for a #1 pass defense. i do believe he holds enough pedigree to make a simple prediction, if only people could get over his bad 1st year as a starter and being on the highlight reels of one of the best tight ends and runningbacks to ever play the game

Shoes
08-18-2013, 11:46 PM
who did gay praise? nobody. i think you're reading into this way too hard. theres no hyperbole or arrogance implied in setting a doable goal. this is not an "im going to break emmitt smith's career rushing yardage mark" statement by adrian peterson or a guarantee of victory against an undefeated team by anthony smith. i would be offended if he was shooting for anything lower. i sure would hope gay would demand a strong performance by his position group just as a quarterback demands excellence from his receivers. Accountability is good. donald driver said after his retirement that he thought aaron rodgers could have been a better leader if he wasnt so pushy and would take some of the blame for his receivers' mistakes. thats ludicrous. excellence demands excellence. the #1 pass defense in the league ought to set the bar high. what has gay ever done? he's been a nickel corner for a superbowl team and a starter for a #1 pass defense. i do believe he holds enough pedigree to make a simple prediction, if only people could get over his bad 1st year as a starter and being on the highlight reels of one of the best tight ends and runningbacks to ever play the game

The idea here is to let your play on the field do the talking for you...and let others praise your labor. Pedigree Gay has 5 int's in 6 years, he's hardly the one to make such a statement. I hope it happens, if it does, Allen will have most of them as Dwins stated.

Psycho Ward 86
08-19-2013, 12:04 AM
The idea here is to let your play on the field do the talking for you...and let others praise your labor. Pedigree Gay has 5 int's in 6 years, he's hardly the one to make such a statement. I hope it happens, if it does, Allen will have most of them as Dwins stated.

show me where gay praised anybody. there isnt even a single direct quote from william gay in that entire article. pedigree doesnt equal interceptions. he has played good ball for a good defense before. you can set a goal for you and your teammates and still let your play on the field do the talking for you. crazy stuff, i know.

Shoes
08-19-2013, 12:38 AM
show me where gay praised anybody. there isnt even a single direct quote from william gay in that entire article. pedigree doesnt equal interceptions. he has played good ball for a good defense before. you can set a goal for you and your teammates and still let your play on the field do the talking for you. crazy stuff, i know.

I didn't say Gay praised anyone. I said if Gay would keep his mouth shut, play football (and get 4 or more interceptions a year), others ( his teammates, coaches, sportswriters) would praise him. Statements like this only draw attention to Gay, which is what he seems to want. Interceptions are what the article and thread are about and Gay is lacking, badly. I would have no problem if Reed, Woodson, Bailey, Samuel or Troy made this prediction. But they wouldn't.

steel striker
08-19-2013, 01:18 PM
The way our guys catch the ball we will need plenty of stickum.

Dwinsgames
08-19-2013, 01:25 PM
The way our guys catch the ball we will need plenty of stickum.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A7NU5LgCMAENC0B.jpg

X-Terminator
08-19-2013, 01:39 PM

Ditto.

zulater
08-19-2013, 02:28 PM
so I am guessing ...

Ike 1

Gay 1

Cortez 8

????

You shortchanged Cortez one.

Psycho Ward 86
08-19-2013, 04:40 PM
You shortchanged Cortez one.

and gave ike 1 too many :lol:

ShoeHorn
08-19-2013, 10:36 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A7NU5LgCMAENC0B.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA

steel9guy
08-20-2013, 03:13 PM
How about Gay and everyone on this team shut up or put up.

LLT
08-20-2013, 04:55 PM
If Cortez wnds up being as good as I think he is going to be...It can only help the remainder of the defensive backfield. If opposing QB's have to respect his side of the field we can cheat the safety to Ike's side. That truly plays to Troys abilities. Something that has been taken away for the last several years due to poor play at the CB position. It would be INCREDIBLE to have QB's second quessing themselves again when they drop back for a pass because they have to account for Troy.

SteelerFanInStl
08-20-2013, 06:07 PM
The only way that Gay gets any INTs would be if the QB throws the ball two yards behind the receiver and it sticks in Gays facemask.

Dwinsgames
08-20-2013, 06:09 PM
If Cortez wnds up being as good as I think he is going to be...It can only help the remainder of the defensive backfield. If opposing QB's have to respect his side of the field we can cheat the safety to Ike's side. That truly plays to Troys abilities. Something that has been taken away for the last several years due to poor play at the CB position. It would be INCREDIBLE to have QB's second quessing themselves again when they drop back for a pass because they have to account for Troy.

this....

I have very high expectations for Tez , I think he MIGHT end up being the best CB we have had on this team since M.B that is not named Rod Woodson , those are lofty expectations I know , but he has the tools

86WARD
02-28-2015, 06:39 AM
Add 2013 and 2014 together...then he got it right...lol.

one side only
02-28-2015, 08:09 AM

Troy who?

fansince'76
02-28-2015, 09:00 AM
This will be the more likely scenario......along with this in London, Sept 29.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhwfUGWbieU

Damn, AP beat him like his son's behind.

Too soon? :chuckle:

Crash
02-28-2015, 09:42 AM
AP wants to play in Dallas, he feels that a switch in teams will do some good.

Edman
02-28-2015, 03:10 PM
Two years later, William Gay emerged as one of the Steelers' best if not best corners.

Troy on the other hand has totally dropped off.