PDA

View Full Version : Clark Thinks Wheaton Is Already Better Than Wallace At Everything But Speed

polamalubeast
08-17-2013, 06:00 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/08/clark-thinks-wheaton-is-already-better-than-wallace-at-everything-but-speed/

Hindes204
08-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Hope that doesn't come back to bite him in the ass in week 14 when he has to cover Wallace

Shoes
08-17-2013, 07:23 PM
His attitude, maturity and work ethic are also head and shoulders above Wallace. But maybe Clark didn't want to say that publicly. :chuckle:

86WARD
08-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Of course he does...lol.

st33lersguy
08-17-2013, 09:31 PM
It really isn't hard, the only thing Wallace is good at is speed

steeldawg
08-17-2013, 09:38 PM
I like wheaton but I watched Wallace tonight and if wheaton is better than that level of talent then he should not be playing behind anyone.

stillers4me
08-18-2013, 06:59 AM
He looked super fast at camp. Antonio Brown and Manny Sanders were looking good, too.

Count Steeler
08-18-2013, 07:55 AM
I like wheaton but I watched Wallace tonight and if wheaton is better than that level of talent then he should not be playing behind anyone.

Time will tell.

TheRuneMeister
08-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Wallace is fine. Good receiver, amazing speed. He has an element to him that no one else has. The TD he had was however one that I could have caught, so I am not too impressed.
Time will tell on Wheaton. Let's see him play in a game first.

steeldawg
08-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Wallace is fine. Good receiver, amazing speed. He has an element to him that no one else has. The TD he had was however one that I could have caught, so I am not too impressed.
Time will tell on Wheaton. Let's see him play in a game first.

Ya it was an easy catch but it is what he did to get open, found the soft spot in the zone between the safety and the corner and sat down creating a perfect passing lane for his qb and a td. also the 33 yard catch out stretched over the wrong shoulder falling out of bounds and getting 2 in a great catch on poorly thrown ball because Wallace had 3 steps on joseph.

- - - Updated - - -

Time will tell.

Ya I agree there is a lot yet to see from wheaton but I don't think his career will get off to the start wallaces has, not a knock on wheaton but I don't think haleys offense will allow him to get a lot of big plays.

KeiselPower99
08-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Wallace had speed and last year no desire to make plays. Wheaton is hungry and wanting to play. Ill take Wheaton

TheRuneMeister
08-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Ya it was an easy catch but it is what he did to get open, found the soft spot in the zone between the safety and the corner and sat down creating a perfect passing lane for his qb and a td. also the 33 yard catch out stretched over the wrong shoulder falling out of bounds and getting 2 in a great catch on poorly thrown ball because Wallace had 3 steps on joseph.
Looked to me like he was forced a little wide on a hook and landed between two defenders. The ball was practically out before he made his turn, so I highly doubt that he made the choice to sit, on the spot. (might have been an option route of course)
As I mentioned, I think he is a good receiver, but nothing he did there was special in my eyes.

Seven
08-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Wallace is a fine receiver in every area but one: running routes. One of the very worst route runners amongst starting wideouts. If he was talented in that area, or even average, I think he'd be an unstoppable physical force.

zulater
08-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Wallace is a fine receiver in every area but one: running routes. One of the very worst route runners amongst starting wideouts. If he was talented in that area, or even average, I think he'd be an unstoppable physical force.

He has inconsistent hands and doesn't fight for the ball either.

To me what truly seperates the great from the good is that great receivers will high point the ball, so what would be 50/50 balls for a normal receiver usually end up in their hands. Swann, Moss, Stallworth, Rice, Fitzgerald, Warfield, etc... all had this in common.

Wallace is fast, but he's not special. And while it would have been nice to keep him, at the cost, not even close to the worth.

steel striker
08-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Yeah it has been well stated that while Wallace was here Brown has the best ture rout runner of the group and, like it was mentioned above that Wallace would not fight for the ball. I agree for the right price Wallace would have been nice to keep but, what the phins paid for him no way good luck with that.

LLT
08-19-2013, 02:26 PM

Wrong. Thats only true if he already knew the playbook and was able to diagnose defensive schemes. Talent is only part of the equation.

86WARD
08-20-2013, 05:42 AM
Wrong. Thats only true if he already knew the playbook and was able to diagnose defensive schemes. Talent is only part of the equation.

According to 90% of the people on this board that statement is accurate. How hard is it to learn how to run a straight line down field? That's all Wallace could do...right? I think Wheaton can master that part of the playbook relatively fast.

steeldawg
08-20-2013, 09:46 AM
According to 90% of the people on this board that statement is accurate. How hard is it to learn how to run a straight line down field? That's all Wallace could do...right? I think Wheaton can master that part of the playbook relatively fast.

It must be true and it's evident in the size of the contracts that where offered. Apparently there is a good market for receivers who can't run routes and can't catch . Lol ya sure this forum makes me laugh.

Seven
08-20-2013, 11:33 AM
It must be true and it's evident in the size of the contracts that where offered. Apparently there is a good market for receivers who can't run routes and can't catch . Lol ya sure this forum makes me laugh.

I think he has better hands than he gets credit for, but he can't run quality routes. That's a fact. We sussed that out a long time ago.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/16092-Mike-Wallace-Route-Running

steeldawg
08-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Such a small sample and without knowing the route or what he read in the defense I don't think it's fair to say he can't run quality routes. The game I just watched him in he ran three quality routes and they were talking about him being a polished route runner and the total package.