PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts after rewatching the Giants game in slow motion

Pristas
08-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Hi guys,

I was out of town for the game and recorded it, so I had the pleasure to go back and see just how awful it was in slow motion. To all of those that said it was a terrible game, I have to disagree.

1. Our special teams play was very aggressive in the first half. If it weren't for the false start, then the subsequent botched assignment by Cromartie Smith, we had the Giants pinned back at their 25 from a great punt. Sylvester was a beast out there. Unfortunately there was this guy named Wheaton who came flying in a little late on the tackle and as Sly was getting up, he jammed his knee. Wheaton is playing at 100 mph hour, but if he doesn't play a little smarter, he's going to hurt someone else. The kicks and punts were good with great coverage. Later in the game there were a lot of #2 type guys on Special teams, and I don't think it was fair to bash the whole group for the scrubs who are trying to play for a roster spot.

2. Run blocking. It works, and was very effective. DeCastro is blowing people up. Stevens Howling will be the #2 back. Johnson is a hell of a blocker and both of the tight ends Paulson and the other "P" name did an excellent job. There were a lot of instances where Howling would be going down after some arm contact. He should. He is small, doesn't weigh much and isn't a power back. He did a great job of protecting the ball. Now insert a larger more powerful back named Bell and you will see some magic.

3. The title of the other thread should have been "Dwyer sucks". He is terrible. He is missing lanes and not reading the zone blocks laid out in front of him. He also dropped two passes that were easy first down conversions. He danced around a lot and was indecisive, which reminded me of Mendy. On one he was simply out of position, too close to the line, but the ball still hit him in the hands. He has poor vision and needs to be "the" cut. That play looks like a TD waiting to happen. Let me explain in #4...

4. When he dropped the ball, he was participating (in the loosest sense of the term) in a screen. Ben dropped back, the line gave an initial push, then let slip. When he dropped that pass my jaw hit the floor because there was nobody in front of him for 10 yards... Except two guys... Pouncey and DeCastro. If that doesn't sound like a TD to you I don't know what does. You are going to see this screen again, and it is going to be awesome!

5. The first team moved the chains, with relative ease. Our run set up the pass and Ben really played smart and upright. Howling did most of the work, but the few passes were on target. Sanders is going to be worth keeping. I hope at some point we can offer him a contract. Like I said earlier, the tight ends did a great job and showed some good catching ability on top of excellent blocking. I think this is going to be a powerhouse offense this year (maybe I'm a homer, but I don't care).

6. Defense was impressive. The goal line stand was incredible. Everyone was reading Eli like a book and Ike Taylor made a great play cutting off an angle for the Giant RB turning him back inside right into the hands of Worilds.

7. Troy still has "it". While he was in, he was blowing up plays left and right. He was either running down the line on the heels of their lineman to make a tackle or he was sealing off the running lanes. He was a constant force in the backfield. I can't wait to too him healthy and play for a whole game just to shut the "Troy is done" crowd up.

8. The Eli to Cruz TD. First thing is first. This is Eli Manning and Victor Cruz. They are pretty damn good. The pass went out on time and into a place where only a handful of NFL players would have made the catch. Cruz was in full stride with his arms fully extended and he made the catch down by his feet. It was a hell of a catch. Our part... Gay was the cover guy but our safties didn't help over the top. I don't know if Troy thought Ryan would get it, or if it was the other way around, but Eli is a pro and saw that the lane was open and took the shot. Kudos to Eli for seeing it and responding so quickly. The real problem with that play... Woodley was bringing the pressure from the right and was almost there, but Eli couldn't see him because he was just behind him. Therefore Eli didn't react, side step or throw off his timing. So the real problem was that there was no other pressure. Where was Worilds? He had to cover the RB who ran though the line and would have been the last option receiver. So what did Kiesel and Hood do on this obvious pass play? They ran an X stunt which did nothing to put immediate pressure up the middle and in the face of Eli. That was the biggest problem. Foote rushed the outside but was clearly overmatched by the blind side Tackle. The biggest problem was the rush, no push up the middle and only Woodley was challenging the pocket from an angle that would get a sack, but not force the passer to move position and throw off his timing. I would have liked to hear Woodley's name a little more, he was somewhat invisible the first half.

9. Other notables. Jarvis Jones and Gradkowski. Both played great as mentioned in other threads. Jones needs to work at getting off his block a little faster and making sure he picks the correct side of the blocker on a running play. Gradkowski looks great. He is sharp and fast and I expect we will not only have to use him at some point this year, but that he will win a game or two for us.

That is all, let me know if you have any specific questions.

Chidi29
08-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Thanks Pristas. Good stuff.

Dwinsgames
08-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Hi guys,

I was out of town for the game and recorded it, so I had the pleasure to go back and see just how awful it was in slow motion. To all of those that said it was a terrible game, I have to disagree.

1. Our special teams play was very aggressive in the first half. If it weren't for the false start, then the subsequent botched assignment by Cromartie Smith, we had the Giants pinned back at their 25 from a great punt. Sylvester was a beast out there. Unfortunately there was this guy named Wheaton who came flying in a little late on the tackle and as Sly was getting up, he jammed his knee. Wheaton is playing at 100 mph hour, but if he doesn't play a little smarter, he's going to hurt someone else. The kicks and punts were good with great coverage. Later in the game there were a lot of #2 type guys on Special teams, and I don't think it was fair to bash the whole group for the scrubs who are trying to play for a roster spot.

2. Run blocking. It works, and was very effective. DeCastro is blowing people up. Stevens Howling will be the #2 back. Johnson is a hell of a blocker and both of the tight ends Paulson and the other "P" name did an excellent job. There were a lot of instances where Howling would be going down after some arm contact. He should. He is small, doesn't weigh much and isn't a power back. He did a great job of protecting the ball. Now insert a larger more powerful back named Bell and you will see some magic.

3. The title of the other thread should have been "Dwyer sucks". He is terrible. He is missing lanes and not reading the zone blocks laid out in front of him. He also dropped two passes that were easy first down conversions. He danced around a lot and was indecisive, which reminded me of Mendy. On one he was simply out of position, too close to the line, but the ball still hit him in the hands. He has poor vision and needs to be "the" cut. That play looks like a TD waiting to happen. Let me explain in #4...

4. When he dropped the ball, he was participating (in the loosest sense of the term) in a screen. Ben dropped back, the line gave an initial push, then let slip. When he dropped that pass my jaw hit the floor because there was nobody in front of him for 10 yards... Except two guys... Pouncey and DeCastro. If that doesn't sound like a TD to you I don't know what does. You are going to see this screen again, and it is going to be awesome!

5. The first team moved the chains, with relative ease. Our run set up the pass and Ben really played smart and upright. Howling did most of the work, but the few passes were on target. Sanders is going to be worth keeping. I hope at some point we can offer him a contract. Like I said earlier, the tight ends did a great job and showed some good catching ability on top of excellent blocking. I think this is going to be a powerhouse offense this year (maybe I'm a homer, but I don't care).

6. Defense was impressive. The goal line stand was incredible. Everyone was reading Eli like a book and Ike Taylor made a great play cutting off an angle for the Giant RB turning him back inside right into the hands of Worilds.

7. Troy still has "it". While he was in, he was blowing up plays left and right. He was either running down the line on the heels of their lineman to make a tackle or he was sealing off the running lanes. He was a constant force in the backfield. I can't wait to too him healthy and play for a whole game just to shut the "Troy is done" crowd up.

8. The Eli to Cruz TD. First thing is first. This is Eli Manning and Victor Cruz. They are pretty damn good. The pass went out on time and into a place where only a handful of NFL players would have made the catch. Cruz was in full stride with his arms fully extended and he made the catch down by his feet. It was a hell of a catch. Our part... Gay was the cover guy but our safties didn't help over the top. I don't know if Troy thought Ryan would get it, or if it was the other way around, but Eli is a pro and saw that the lane was open and took the shot. Kudos to Eli for seeing it and responding so quickly. The real problem with that play... Woodley was bringing the pressure from the right and was almost there, but Eli couldn't see him because he was just behind him. Therefore Eli didn't react, side step or throw off his timing. So the real problem was that there was no other pressure. Where was Worilds? He had to cover the RB who ran though the line and would have been the last option receiver. So what did Kiesel and Hood do on this obvious pass play? They ran an X stunt which did nothing to put immediate pressure up the middle and in the face of Eli. That was the biggest problem. Foote rushed the outside but was clearly overmatched by the blind side Tackle. The biggest problem was the rush, no push up the middle and only Woodley was challenging the pocket from an angle that would get a sack, but not force the passer to move position and throw off his timing. I would have liked to hear Woodley's name a little more, he was somewhat invisible the first half.

9. Other notables. Jarvis Jones and Gradkowski. Both played great as mentioned in other threads. Jones needs to work at getting off his block a little faster and making sure he picks the correct side of the blocker on a running play. Gradkowski looks great. He is sharp and fast and I expect we will not only have to use him at some point this year, but that he will win a game or two for us.

That is all, let me know if you have any specific questions.

I agree with 95% of what you said , well written and explained good job

Chidi29
08-14-2013, 03:26 PM
But I will say those back up guys on special teams? They could very well be starters if they make the team. If you're not starting on offense or defense, you're on ST. If you're not able to do that, you're not making the team.

st33lersguy
08-14-2013, 03:54 PM
With regards to no. 1, I think reducing penalties at this point is more important than more aggressive play. So many big returns and 2 Antonio Brown TDs were called back because of penalties. Also had Stephens-Howling been the RB on the two screens you mentioned that Dwyer dropped, I bet that's at least a 20 yard gain. I do agree that the run-blocking was fantastic.

Pristas
08-14-2013, 04:02 PM
But I will say those back up guys on special teams? They could very well be starters if they make the team. If you're not starting on offense or defense, you're on ST. If you're not able to do that, you're not making the team.

I think they still let all of the guys play and "have an opportunity to compete". So, yeah, even if you are no where near the 53 man roster, which includes all of the Special Teams starters, then you still get a shot at making the splash play that puts you on the practice squad.

I shouldn't have had a list with nine and not had a number 10. So here goes...

10. This really should be number 15. For Justin Brown. He played a heck of a game, and made some excellent catches/blocks. This guy will not survive our practice squad, as someone will snatch him up, as he is clearly a talented athlete. He is going to make a strong case for the number 5 receiver spot, assuming Wheaton has already locked up the #4. I'll bet this guy becomes the redzone threat we have been chomping at the bit for. By contrast Gilreath had a horrid game. I can't recall what it was, but when I noted him, it wasn't good.

Pristas
08-14-2013, 04:08 PM
So many big returns and 2 Antonio Brown TDs were called back because of penalties.

That has nothing to do with the 2013 Steelers special teams. New coach. New players.

All you can say bad about our "starting special teams" is that Cromartie Smith made a game changing error in the missing of that block. Hopefully they can clean it up for next game, if their coach doesn't choke on his Big League Chew while yelling at them.

Chidi29
08-14-2013, 04:15 PM
I think they still let all of the guys play and "have an opportunity to compete". So, yeah, even if you are no where near the 53 man roster, which includes all of the Special Teams starters, then you still get a shot at making the splash play that puts you on the practice squad.

I shouldn't have had a list with nine and not had a number 10. So here goes...

10. This really should be number 15. For Justin Brown. He played a heck of a game, and made some excellent catches/blocks. This guy will not survive our practice squad, as someone will snatch him up, as he is clearly a talented athlete. He is going to make a strong case for the number 5 receiver spot, assuming Wheaton has already locked up the #4. I'll bet this guy becomes the redzone threat we have been chomping at the bit for. By contrast Gilreath had a horrid game. I can't recall what it was, but when I noted him, it wasn't good.

Well look at some of the guys that struggled on STs.

Marshall McFadden on the penalty that led to the blocked punt. If he makes the team, he'll be on STs. Ditto for Da'mon Cromartie-Smith who allowed the blocked punt.

Shoes
08-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Nice stuff Pristas...thank you.

tube517
08-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks...I couldn't watch the whole game so this was good you posted about it.

Pristas
08-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Well look at some of the guys that struggled on STs.

Marshall McFadden on the penalty that led to the blocked punt. If he makes the team, he'll be on STs. Ditto for Da'mon Cromartie-Smith who allowed the blocked punt.

True. I guess we just can hope it gets better.

- - - Updated - - -

Boom! As I predicted, Brown passes Gilreath:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/8/14/4621750/steelers-vs-redskins-rookie-justin-brown-passes-david-gilreath-on-wr?utm_source=behindthesteelcurtain&utm_medium=nextclicks&utm_campaign=blogs (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/8/14/4621750/steelers-vs-redskins-rookie-justin-brown-passes-david-gilreath-on-wr?utm_source=behindthesteelcurtain&utm_medium=nex%20tclicks&utm_campaign=blogs)

TheRuneMeister
08-15-2013, 03:30 AM
I agree on kick/punt coverage and DeCastro. I know mistakes were made, but it felt like there was a lot of hustle on kick/punt coverage. I know it is partly due to players trying to make the team, but there was energy. Due to last year, DeCastro is kind of 'under the radar', but that guy will be amazing. He needs experience, but he has the potential to be great. I loved how Pouncey looked as a Rookie...and I think DeCastro is looking even better (I know he is not a rookie...but let's call him a rookie-starter). I think fans of other teams will have a 'where did that guy come from' kind of experience.

Moose
08-15-2013, 05:30 AM
Thanks Pristas, good reading !

Dwinsgames
08-15-2013, 09:20 AM
http://www.steelers.com/team/depth-chart.html

fansince'76
08-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Hopefully they can clean it up for next game, if their coach doesn't choke on his Big League Chew while yelling at them.

Blast from the past - I didn't know they still made that stuff. :lol: