PDA

View Full Version : OLB Jones Making Steady Progress

stillers4me
08-13-2013, 05:31 AM
When a team blitzes the podium on draft day with the name of an outside linebacker in hand, that outside linebacker in turn is expected to blitz the quarterback like he's Lawrence Taylor.

At least that's a fan's perspective.

They, of course, are looking for sacks out of Steelers rookie Jarvis Jones (http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&c=1&nid=6980741).

"Well, I am too," said linebackers coach Keith Butler. "I'm hoping for 15, 16 sacks, too. We talked about this today. But he's got to have a couple of rushes. He can't have all hand slaps, all getting on the edge of people. He's got to get down in the middle of people and what we call walk the dog on them, too."

Walk the dog?

"Collapse the pocket," Butler explained. "Take a 350-pound guy, get right up under his face, and walk him back to the quarterback."
Jones showed glimpses of that ability Saturday night............

Read more @ http://pit.scout.com/2/1315502.html

Shoes
08-13-2013, 08:04 AM
"Look how heavy his hands are," Butler said of Jones' run defense. "He's got real strong hands."

He's also caused a lot of fumbles with those strong hands. I'm excited about this young man.

Dwinsgames
08-13-2013, 08:18 AM
"Well, I am too," said linebackers coach Keith Butler. "I'm hoping for 15, 16 sacks

apparently In Butlers mind Jones in the starter or 15-16 sacks would not be a realistic goal for him to have

st33lersguy
08-13-2013, 08:43 AM
If Jarvis can master beating blockers off the edge, he will be a freak

Master Blaster
08-13-2013, 08:55 AM
apparently In Butlers mind Jones in the starter or 15-16 sacks would not be a realistic goal for him to have

Based on the way that comment was made it is a plausible interpretation to assume that Jones will start.

HollywoodSteel
08-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Based on the way that comment was made it is a plausible interpretation to assume that Jones will start.

I'm not sure I read it like that. In context, it seems like Butler is saying, "yeah, I want him to be a sack machine too but he's not quite there yet."