08-10-2013, 08:48 PM
To be fair, line is terrible.

PsychoWard answered this question too....:chuckle:

Nadroj 20
08-10-2013, 08:48 PM
He just saved Jones life right there.

fansince'76
08-10-2013, 09:02 PM
So does Gilreath. First he fields a damn punt inside the 5 and then he muffs the next one.

Dwinsgames
08-10-2013, 09:05 PM
So does Gilreath. First he fields a damn punt inside the 5 and then he muffs the next one.

I mentioned that nearly word for word in the Plax thread .... and added he will not make this team that way

fansince'76
08-10-2013, 09:07 PM
I mentioned that nearly word for word in the Plax thread .... and added he will not make this team that way

Maybe he'll go for the trifecta and touch one while trying to back away from it and make it a live ball for the Giants to recover.

Dwinsgames
08-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Maybe he'll go for the trifecta and touch one while trying to back away from it and make it a live ball for the Giants to recover.

it would not surprise me if he did , then again I think I would be surprised if he is allowed on the field the rest of the way in this one on ST

Craic
08-10-2013, 10:02 PM
:doh:

Mods: is it possible to start another subforum and put every player on the roster in it's own thread, with a "sucks" after it? I mean, if we're getting started this early this year, it's going to be a really long season wading through the emotional vomit to get to threads of substance.

st33lersguy
08-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Batch will not make the team, however it is tough to run anywhere when the O-line in front of him just won't block

Dwinsgames
08-10-2013, 10:10 PM
:doh:

Mods: is it possible to start another subforum and put every player on the roster in it's own thread, with a "sucks" after it? I mean, if we're getting started this early this year, it's going to be a really long season wading through the emotional vomit to get to threads of substance.

sorry , was nothing emotional about it ... its just a fact and not a epiphany that suddenly came on during tonight's game

Craic
08-10-2013, 10:33 PM
sorry , was nothing emotional about it ... its just a fact and not a epiphany that suddenly came on during tonight's game

This probably seemed like a reaction directly at you . . . sorry about that. It's just that there were so many of these threads last year that it got pretty tiring.

This is my opinion, and only my opinion here. I fully recognize that, but it's also, at least for me, the idea that if I'm going to open a thread, I at least want to find something in it that contributes to a discussion (outside of people posting a thread to induce humor). If someone says somebody sucks, it's not a universal declaration. So tell me why he does. What did you see, what did you not see that you wanted to see, what might have been circumstances that caused him to look worse than he did. Did he do anything good? Was everything bad?

I wasn't impressed with what I saw from Batch at all tonight, but I can still tell you two things that he did I liked. First, he had no problem put his body in front of a much larger DB and upending him. Second, even though he got little yards, that bugger kept his feet moving all the time. He didn't give up.

KeiselPower99
08-10-2013, 10:58 PM
I dont think he is terrible but the o line he was running behind wasnt very good.

Dwinsgames
08-11-2013, 09:28 AM
I dont think he is terrible but the o line he was running behind wasnt very good.

no the line was not good , however he averaged 2.2 per carry last year behind the #1 line

SteelerFanInStl
08-11-2013, 09:40 AM
no the line was not good , however he averaged 2.2 per carry last year behind the #1 line

As I've said before, Batch just isn't an NFL caliber RB. Great guy but I hope that we don't waste a roster spot on him again.

KeiselPower99
08-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Ill throw this out there he did tear his knee up and last year was his first year back. If he makes this team itll be as a special teamer.

Chidi29
08-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Ill throw this out there he did tear his knee up and last year was his first year back. If he makes this team itll be as a special teamer.

Being one year removed is one thing. No excuses after two. I'm not going to throw out the "Look at what Adrian Peterson did!" because he's a freak and I'm not going to set the bar that high, but players are recovering quicker and quicker. Batch is healthy.

st33lersguy
08-11-2013, 05:30 PM
Baron Batch is going to get cut, and it will be for a good reason

LLT
08-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Baron was kept last year because the other RB's couldnt block in the backfield as well as he could...period.

By the end of the season both Dwyer and Redman had honed their skills enough to BOTH be considered very good blockers. That pretty much was Barons demise...not what he is doing this year. His skill set hasn't changed at all. He can still block but his yards after contact is not good enough to make the team now that we have other RB's who can protect Ben.

Unless he makes the team as a STer, he will...in fact...be cut.

steelerdude15
08-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I don't see him staying with the team nor is he really needed when the team has better backs.

NJarhead
08-13-2013, 01:00 PM

Guy I work with from Wisconsin, is a HUUUUGE Gilreath fan, so I've been waiting to watch him....and he pulls that crap.

steeldawg
08-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Baron was kept last year because the other RB's couldnt block in the backfield as well as he could...period.

By the end of the season both Dwyer and Redman had honed their skills enough to BOTH be considered very good blockers. That pretty much was Barons demise...not what he is doing this year. His skill set hasn't changed at all. He can still block but his yards after contact is not good enough to make the team now that we have other RB's who can protect Ben.

Unless he makes the team as a STer, he will...in fact...be cut.

Wasn't he a special teams captain last year?

- - - Updated - - -

I think batch makes the team, the simple fact that the steelers placed the 1.3 million dollar tenders on redman and dwyer shows they are going to cut one of them unless they are going to keep 2 backups making that much but I don't see that. Redman I think its safe to say is making the roster.

LLT
08-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Wasn't he a special teams captain last year?

- - - Updated - - -

I think batch makes the team, the simple fact that the steelers placed the 1.3 million dollar tenders on redman and dwyer shows they are going to cut one of them unless they are going to keep 2 backups making that much but I don't see that. Redman I think its safe to say is making the roster.

I dont think so...but we will see.

Count Steeler
08-13-2013, 06:24 PM
Barring injuries, Batch will not be on the final 53. Charlie nor Baron.

steeldawg
08-13-2013, 06:43 PM
I dont think so...but we will see.

Ya he was a special teams capatian last season

tube517
08-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Baron Batch was brought in to be the #1 Special Teams guy.....it's his job to lose.

End thread

:chuckle:

Chidi29
08-13-2013, 07:54 PM
I kinda liked Alvester Alexander...and not just because his name is "Alvester"

Ok, mostly because of that.

But he looked decent. Did well in pass pro and busted off one nice rn.

Nadroj 20
08-13-2013, 08:04 PM
You are naming your first child Alvester Chidi aren't you?

Chidi29
08-13-2013, 08:05 PM
You are naming your first child Alvester Chidi aren't you?

It'll actually be Alvester Chidi-Kriedwalt

Nadroj 20
08-13-2013, 08:07 PM
It'll actually be Alvester Chidi-Kriedwalt

That's gonna really suck if it's a girl :chuckle:

LLT
08-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Ya he was a special teams capatian last season

For a couple of games, yes...NOT the offiicial ST captain. And for the record, the 2011 OFFICIAL Special Teams captain was Arnez Battle...who was released at the end of that season.

Chidi29
08-13-2013, 08:18 PM
That's gonna really suck if it's a girl :chuckle:

Ain't my problem. She'll have to deal with it.

Dwinsgames
08-13-2013, 08:31 PM
For a couple of games, yes...NOT the offiicial ST captain. And for the record, the 2011 OFFICIAL Special Teams captain was Arnez Battle...who was released at the end of that season.

Chidi was ST captian too I believe , so much for job security when ST is your mainstay

Chidi29
08-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Chidi was ST captian too I believe , so much for job security when ST is your mainstay

You're darn right he was. Co-captain with Sean Morey in 2005.

And you watch yourself talkin' bad about Chidi. He lasted for a couple years as a ST dynamo.

*takes earrings off*

Seven
08-13-2013, 09:11 PM
LOL! I wish Baron the best of luck in his career and really do hope he makes this team, but I don't think he will. And the matter-of-fact topic title made me chuckle.

Dwinsgames
08-14-2013, 02:16 AM
You're darn right he was. Co-captain with Sean Morey in 2005.

And you watch yourself talkin' bad about Chidi. He lasted for a couple years as a ST dynamo.

*takes earrings off*

not bad talking him at all , I liked him ... problem was he just was not good enough in coverage but was a fierce competitor so ST was second nature for him and he gave it 110% , not much not to like about a guy who works his tail off for his paycheck , but in the NFL most times you have to offer more (at least in potential upside ) than solid ST play to stick around for any real duration

Master Blaster
08-14-2013, 10:28 AM
The signing of L.S.H. and the fact that he's been having a good camp makes either Barron Batch or Dwyer expendable. For what Batch brings to the table he may be the odd man out. His only saving grace may be his S.T.'s contributions, but I'm not sure that's enough to save him from a visit from the Turk.

Dwinsgames
08-14-2013, 10:54 AM
The signing of L.S.H. and the fact that he's been having a good camp makes either Barron Batch or Dwyer expendable. For what Batch brings to the table he may be the odd man out. His only saving grace may be his S.T.'s contributions, but I'm not sure that's enough to save him from a visit from the Turk.

especially when they have so many promising young linebackers who can play ST . I would rather have an extra LB on the roster with promise of future ability than a RB who is just a ST player and no other value

Chidi29
08-14-2013, 01:05 PM
not bad talking him at all , I liked him ... problem was he just was not good enough in coverage but was a fierce competitor so ST was second nature for him and he gave it 110% , not much not to like about a guy who works his tail off for his paycheck , but in the NFL most times you have to offer more (at least in potential upside ) than solid ST play to stick around for any real duration

You take my too seriously at times Dwins. I'm just kidding around. I know the life of a gunner has a shorter shelf life than bread. The fact he played in the league as long as he did is pretty incredible. Just shows how good he was IMO

Dwinsgames
08-14-2013, 01:58 PM
You take my too seriously at times Dwins. I'm just kidding around. I know the life of a gunner has a shorter shelf life than bread. The fact he played in the league as long as he did is pretty incredible. Just shows how good he was IMO

:drink:

Chidi29
08-14-2013, 02:24 PM
:drink:

one side only
08-14-2013, 06:56 PM
What does Baron Batch, or any running back do for that matter, on special teams that a back up wide receiver or linebacker can't do? I'd go with just three running backs plus Will Johnson and give the final roster spots to the best players regardless of position. Seems to me the Steelers will have to make some tough decisions at wide receiver and linebacker. I'd keep Derek Moye over Batch. I'd keep Brian Rolle over Batch. Assuming Heath Miller starts on the PUP, I'd only keep two tight ends at first and carry 7 wide receivers. Make the decision on who goes when Miller's recovery forces the issue. I think there will be some people signed from other teams when the 53 is finalized. Because of salary cap issues, I think we are going to see a couple of new faces week 2 as well. In fact, I think we will see a lot of roster movement this year.

86WARD
08-15-2013, 05:54 AM
O-Line or not Batch stinks.

steeldawg
08-15-2013, 09:43 AM

I'm not defending batch at all I think he sucks too, but I think if it comes down to him and Dwyer special teams will factor into which one we keep. I think that's one of the reasons you saw Dwyer in the wedge on Saturday.

st33lersguy
08-15-2013, 02:44 PM
We do not need Baron Batch

86WARD
08-15-2013, 06:50 PM
They might...

Both backs left practice today. Bell had knee soreness and Redman a stinger...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vXSBLBdWDcE/Ubw6n7LG3DI/AAAAAAAAIDg/sS1k47pCVHI/s640/Bosh+Face+Palm.gif

Count Steeler
08-15-2013, 08:23 PM
The prediction of Batch being cut may have been a tad premature. Even Dwyer has new life on the roster.

Master Blaster
08-16-2013, 06:44 AM
What does Baron Batch, or any running back do for that matter, on special teams that a back up wide receiver or linebacker can't do? I'd go with just three running backs plus Will Johnson and give the final roster spots to the best players regardless of position. Seems to me the Steelers will have to make some tough decisions at wide receiver and linebacker. I'd keep Derek Moye over Batch. I'd keep Brian Rolle over Batch. Assuming Heath Miller starts on the PUP, I'd only keep two tight ends at first and carry 7 wide receivers. Make the decision on who goes when Miller's recovery forces the issue. I think there will be some people signed from other teams when the 53 is finalized. Because of salary cap issues, I think we are going to see a couple of new faces week 2 as well. In fact, I think we will see a lot of roster movement this year.
From what I saw, I'd keep J.D. Woods and Justin Brown over Moye.

Dwinsgames
08-16-2013, 06:47 AM
From what I saw, I'd keep J.D. Woods and Justin Brown over Moye.

this ....

at this point anyways ...

still early opinion might change but as of today that is my feeling

Master Blaster
08-16-2013, 06:54 AM
I'm not defending batch at all I think he sucks too, but I think if it comes down to him and Dwyer special teams will factor into which one we keep. I think that's one of the reasons you saw Dwyer in the wedge on Saturday.
The question comes down to, if either Bell or Redman go down in a regular season game, whom does Haley turn to? IMO, they go with either Dwyer or LaRod Stephens-Howling because Batch will be with a new team.

Chidi29
08-16-2013, 10:12 AM
The question comes down to, if either Bell or Redman go down in a regular season game, whom does Haley turn to? IMO, they go with either Dwyer or LaRod Stephens-Howling because Batch will be with a new team.

If Saturday is any indication, it's Howling. So that puts Dwyer as the #4 runner and pretty useless. Which is why Batch still has a chance.

steeldawg
08-16-2013, 01:25 PM
If Saturday is any indication, it's Howling. So that puts Dwyer as the #4 runner and pretty useless. Which is why Batch still has a chance.

This is how I see it too, you have bell, redman, howlings, and then batch and dwyer for the fourth spot. I just don't see the steelers keeping a guy on as a fourth string running back making 1.3 million a year and cant really contribute anywhere else.

Dwinsgames
08-16-2013, 01:32 PM
This is how I see it too, you have bell, redman, howlings, and then batch and dwyer for the fourth spot. I just don't see the steelers keeping a guy on as a fourth string running back making 1.3 million a year and cant really contribute anywhere else.

at the same time one could argue why pay Batch when he has zero value as a RB and his only contributions is on ST where we have a few WRs that are on the same roster bubble ( and linebackers ) who could fill that same role and would provide sufficient depth on their side of the ball whereas Batch does not

steeldawg
08-16-2013, 01:36 PM
at the same time one could argue why pay Batch when he has zero value as a RB and his only contributions is on ST where we have a few WRs that are on the same roster bubble ( and linebackers ) who could fill that same role and would provide sufficient depth on their side of the ball whereas Batch does not

Yu could make that argument but I think its more likely we get production from a special teamer than a fourth string running back, and while I think batch sucks I don't think dwyer is all that better. 1.3 million against the cap is a lot for a fourth string running back.

Dwinsgames
08-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Batch 2.2 YPC in 2012

Dwyer 4.0 YPC in 2012

pretty significant difference IMO

Batch $555,000 ( so lets note he is not free ) .....

steeldawg
08-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Batch 2.2 YPC in 2012

Dwyer 4.0 YPC in 2012

pretty significant difference IMO

but whats the chance of us using either as a running back is the question, there are 3 guys ahead of them. I think the steelers cut dwyer, they tried to trade him couldn't get anything for him so I doubt they are going to pay him that money to just sit on the bench.

Dwinsgames
08-16-2013, 01:55 PM
but whats the chance of us using either as a running back is the question, there are 3 guys ahead of them. I think the steelers cut dwyer, they tried to trade him couldn't get anything for him so I doubt they are going to pay him that money to just sit on the bench.

I would say 50-50 chance of a decent amount of playing time ...

its a guess no crystal balls here ....

my logic is we are still in training camp and Bell has missed the first game will probably miss the next game and has a bothersome knee before his first official NFL carry , Redman has not shown to be the most durable of Backs , leaving us Just Howling ( whom I very much like ) but is a smaller back and who knows how much punishment he can take week in week out if needed ....

I would not want to have Batch as my primary backup for even 1 game would you ?

steeldawg
08-16-2013, 02:04 PM

my logic is we are still in training camp and Bell has missed the first game will probably miss the next game and has a bothersome knee before his first official NFL carry , Redman has not shown to be the most durable of Backs , leaving us Just Howling ( whom I very much like ) but is a smaller back and who knows how much punishment he can take week in week out if needed ....

Last report on bell is knee is fine and hes playing on Monday redman also fine both at practice today. With bell starting you wont see a lot of redman or howlings in the running game because the steelers want a 3 down back so they wont take a lot of punishment throughout the season.

Dwinsgames
08-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Last report on bell is knee is fine and hes playing on Monday redman also fine both at practice today. With bell starting you wont see a lot of redman or howlings in the running game because the steelers want a 3 down back so they wont take a lot of punishment throughout the season.

that is the crystal ball outlook ...

1) we do not know if Bell will hold up or even seize the job for certain ( claim he is fine all you like ) his knee is weakened do to the injury he has now making it far easier to injure it more severely with duress and duress will happen with use in the NFL

2) we do not know for certain if Redman will still be used in short yardage or not even if Bell wins the starting job ...

3) we do not know for sure if Bell ( if he wins the starting job ) will come off the field in passing situations for Howlings or a proven blocking back because Bell has not been asked to block NFL players outside of practice yet

so how much he is used even if he is named the starter is very subjective at best at this point in time

steeldawg
08-16-2013, 02:26 PM
that is the crystal ball outlook ...

1) we do not know if Bell will hold up or even seize the job for certain ( claim he is fine all you like ) his knee is weakened do to the injury he has now making it far easier to injure it more severely with duress and duress will happen with use in the NFL

2) we do not know for certain if Redman will still be used in short yardage or not even if Bell wins the starting job ...

3) we do not know for sure if Bell ( if he wins the starting job ) will come off the field in passing situations for Howlings or a proven blocking back because Bell has not been asked to block NFL players outside of practice yet

so how much he is used even if he is named the starter is very subjective at best at this point in time

report on bells knee just aggrevated no tears, no sprains there is no weakening of the knee just bumps and bruises no point in pushing him through it in preseason.

Pretty safe to say barring injury bell will start.

The reports coming out of camp is that bell has been great in passing situations consistently beating his man that's why the steelers are so excited about him.

This espn article from today is pretty good http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/73417/camp-confidential-pittsburgh-steelers-3 it was written earlier though before the reports of nothing serious about bells knee came out. It talks about bell in the beginning and under the "observation deck " portion of the article it talks about him in the passing game.

HollywoodSteel
08-16-2013, 03:56 PM
My question is this: Is the #4 running back going to get a hat on Sundays? If not, what good is Batch's special teams play? As much as I've been unimpressed with Dwyer, if one of the first 3 RBs get hurt I'd rather have him suiting up on Sunday than Batch. And believe me, if we end up needing Batch he'll be on his couch waiting for the call.

steeldawg
08-16-2013, 04:27 PM
My question is this: Is the #4 running back going to get a hat on Sundays? If not, what good is Batch's special teams play? As much as I've been unimpressed with Dwyer, if one of the first 3 RBs get hurt I'd rather have him suiting up on Sunday than Batch. And believe me, if we end up needing Batch he'll be on his couch waiting for the call.

ya but after cuts there will be a lot of guys to choose from in case of injury why keep dwyer when we could get someone just as good cheaper.

Chidi29
08-16-2013, 07:18 PM

The #4 can get a hat if he's competent on special teams. Which is why Dwyer is in danger. He has been getting work there on the wedge and punt coverage but he has to outplay Batch to earn that spot. Which is why it's a battle.

Dwinsgames
08-21-2013, 08:50 AM

as we where saying

polamalubeast
08-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Batch is now out!

zulater
08-25-2013, 06:47 PM
The #4 can get a hat if he's competent on special teams. Which is why Dwyer is in danger. He has been getting work there on the wedge and punt coverage but he has to outplay Batch to earn that spot. Which is why it's a battle.

Or maybe not.

Chidi29
08-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Or maybe not.

Yup, guess not. But all the injuries at RB really forced the team's hand. Instead of it being about ST, they need guys that can carry the ball. And it's easy to see that Dwyer is better there.

LLT
08-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Yup, guess not. But all the injuries at RB really forced the team's hand. Instead of it being about ST, they need guys that can carry the ball. And it's easy to see that Dwyer is better there.

Batch had a real chance of making this team due to contribution on ST's and his work ethic. You were not wrong in saying that he could have ended up on the final roster. In fact, even though I predicted he would be cut...I will have to admit that he was probably cut solely due to Bell getting hurt. Had Bell shown more durability, he would have been our feature back and Batch would have been a good 4th back option. With the running back by comittee that we are going to be forced to use at the beginning of the season, it changes the "type" of backs that we need and Batch became expendable.

fansince'76
08-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Wasn't like Batch didn't try. I wish him the best - he's still a good kid.

LLT
08-26-2013, 08:47 PM

He'll catch on with some team...hopefully in Texas, so that he will be close to home.

Seven
08-26-2013, 09:14 PM
I wish him the best of luck. Not surprised he was cut, but he belongs on a roster in this league. Just not ours right now.

tube517
08-26-2013, 10:14 PM

I agree. I'd like to have seen him succeed in a Steeler uniform but it is not to be. I think he'll be fine after football and maybe even Pittsburgh West/Arians gives him a look.

Chidi29
08-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Batch had a real chance of making this team due to contribution on ST's and his work ethic. You were not wrong in saying that he could have ended up on the final roster. In fact, even though I predicted he would be cut...I will have to admit that he was probably cut solely due to Bell getting hurt. Had Bell shown more durability, he would have been our feature back and Batch would have been a good 4th back option. With the running back by comittee that we are going to be forced to use at the beginning of the season, it changes the "type" of backs that we need and Batch became expendable.

Agreed.