PDA

View Full Version : Penguins hire veteran Jacques Martin as assistant coach

X-Terminator
08-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Jacques Martin did not join the Penguins (http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/) coaching staff specifically with Kris Letang on his mind.

Still, coach Dan Bylsma acknowledged Friday that Martin, his newest assistant, has a history of working with franchise defensemen.

“The experience he has with his different players – even the stages some of the players he's coached have been in – that was definitely something we looked at with Jacques,” Bylsma said.

“That experience Jacques had with defensemen of that ilk… was definitely part of the conversation that last month and a half.”

Martin, 60, will give the Bylsma three assistants for the upcoming season. General manager Ray Shero said the Penguins join “about 15” teams with at least three assistants. Shero's late father, Fred, revolutionized the NHL by employing full-time assistants in the 1970s with Philadelphia.

The Penguins were open to adding a third assistant last summer, but Bylsma said the right fit was not available. Martin spent last season working in television after he was fired by Montreal near the midpoint of the 2011-12 season.

Martin has served as head coach for four NHL teams, and his 613 wins rate 10th all time. He and Shero previously worked together in Ottawa in the mid 1990s. Martin was the head coach and Shero the assistant general manager.

Bylsma did not divulge many specifics of what Martin will bring to the Penguins, though he stressed a “different” and “outside” perspective that he believes will benefit a squad that returns 20 players to appear in at least one Stanley Cup playoffs game last spring.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/4506067-74/coach-martin-bylsma?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewpenguins+%28Peng uins+Stories%29#ixzz2bWB1IPm2

steelerdude15
08-12-2013, 01:57 PM
I like the hiring. I think he will help the defense and I think they'll play smarter and tougher.

Spike
08-16-2013, 06:57 AM
cool. good to see some fresh blood in the coaching staff, a defensive minded guy to balance out Bylsma's run and gun.
He's good enough to be a head coach so this is a great hire.