PDA

View Full Version : Spaeth carted off with injury

Pristas
08-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Kaboly just tweeted.

zulater
08-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Oh God! :doh: Why do I have a feeling the call is going out to Leonard Pope as I type this? :frusty:

polamalubeast
08-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Oh God! :doh: Why do I have a feeling the call is going out to Leonard Pope as I type this? :frusty:

Pope signed with a team last week

Chidi29
08-07-2013, 03:39 PM

Not even Pope is available. He signed with the Bears.

Where's Jerame Tuman! Can Bruener come down from the scouting department and fill in?

LLT
08-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Free Agent Tight Ends: Lots of old players and non productive wave players. If Spaeth is done...There may be a stop-gap in the list.

Dallas Clark
Daniel Graham
Todd Heap
Randy McMichael
David Thomas
Evan Moore
Travis Beckum
Will Heller
Brody Eldridge
Martin Rucker
Jeron Mastrud
Cameron Morah

steelerdude15
08-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Free Agent Tight Ends: Lots of old players and non productive wave players. If Spaeth is done...There may be a stop-gap in the list.

Dallas Clark
Daniel Graham
Todd Heap
Randy McMichael
David Thomas
Evan Moore
Travis Beckum
Will Heller
Brody Eldridge
Martin Rucker
Jeron Mastrud
Cameron Morah

Dallas Clark would be interesting to have. I wonder how much he would ask for?

fansince'76
08-07-2013, 04:06 PM
HEEEEAAAAP!

:chuckle:

LLT
08-07-2013, 04:06 PM
6'6 250 pound Evan Moore is intriquing...Liked him a couple of years ago when he was with the Browns. Not sure if I would be interested in any of the long-tooths.

Chidi29
08-07-2013, 04:07 PM

I know he was semi-healthy last year but I don't trust his knees. They're pretty much shot.

I'd take a blocker like McMichael or Michael Palmer who the Falcons just released. Eldridge would fit that bill too.

Dwinsgames
08-07-2013, 04:09 PM

Dallas Clark
Daniel Graham
Todd Heap
Randy McMichael
David Thomas
Evan Moore
Travis Beckum
Will Heller
Brody Eldridge
Martin Rucker
Jeron Mastrud
Cameron Morah

Dallas Clark
Daniel Graham
Todd Heap
Randy McMichael

those are the most talented of the bunch but I wouldn't touch Heap with a ten foot pole , Clark and Graham would be the two I would have the most interest in , McMichael had good talent but lacked motivation and was injury prone as well , not sure I want to pull and old guy off the streets that lacked motivation ...

guess there are just 2 lol and I have to question what Clark has left in the tank considering he did not do much last year in a talent lacking Tampa bay ... leaving just 1 and he is not much of a pass catching threat with 11 NFL seasons under his belt 32 catches was his best season

steelreserve
08-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Well, that was a useful signing.

Count Steeler
08-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Any updates on David Johnson? Would be nice to have a good report.

Chidi29
08-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Any updates on David Johnson? Would be nice to have a good report.

Far as I'm aware, still on the PUP recovering from the cleanup he had.

Spike
08-07-2013, 04:38 PM
maybe it's just a minor thing - no one knows right now

he's a good blocker, that's what we need him for till heath gets back

Nadroj 20
08-07-2013, 04:47 PM
I haven't heard of the severity of the injury. Has anyone else?

If we have lost him for a long period of time then I would want a blocker like a McMichael or big guy Moore.

I like Clark but for what we need I'm not sure if he's who we are looking for.

salamander
08-07-2013, 04:57 PM
HEEEEAAAAP!

HEEEEAAAPPPP and HEEEEAAATTTTHHHH go well together :chuckle:

Chidi29
08-07-2013, 05:28 PM
I haven't heard of the severity of the injury. Has anyone else?

If we have lost him for a long period of time then I would want a blocker like a McMichael or big guy Moore.

I like Clark but for what we need I'm not sure if he's who we are looking for.

Tomlin didn't provide much of an update today. Just that somebody stepped on his foot.

ALLD
08-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Not a fan of singing back our old players.

oneforthetoe
08-07-2013, 05:46 PM

Is that a trick question?

Vet minimum, like every other player on fan dream lists.

one side only
08-07-2013, 06:05 PM
All of this "until Heath Miller gets back" talk assumes Miller comes back and performs at a high level this season. Considering the severity of his injury, we don't know what he will be capable of physically even after he's cleared to play. Factor in his age, and his best years may be behind him. I figured when the Steelers didn't address the position in the draft that Miller must have had a miracle recovery, but how could they have made that determination just four months post surgery? There is nothing to indicate Miller will be ready to play any time soon. Not having a viable TE option this year means a significant change in the offensive scheme, and that may be ok. Dallas Clark or Travis Beckum are the people I would be most interested in for this year.

Craic
08-07-2013, 06:10 PM
It's a shame we let Kuhn go!

he could have played TE AND FB at the same time!

salamander
08-07-2013, 06:12 PM

...and QB, and WR, and kicker, and punter, and every position on the offensive line, and every position on the d-line. Hell, the Rooneys would have fired Tomlin by now and made Kuhn the head coach as well.

ALLD
08-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Too bad Tebow is unavailable. ::ducks::

86WARD
08-07-2013, 07:42 PM
I'd rather have Evan Moore than Spaeth...any day.

fansince'76
08-07-2013, 08:04 PM

...and QB, and WR, and kicker, and punter, and every position on the offensive line, and every position on the d-line. Hell, the Rooneys would have fired Tomlin by now and made Kuhn the head coach as well.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/johnkuhnhof_zps7893d2f9.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/garyb12001/media/johnkuhnhof_zps7893d2f9.jpg.html)

LLT
08-07-2013, 08:13 PM
I'd rather have Evan Moore than Spaeth...any day.

Agreed.

Chidi29
08-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Moore showed promise against us in Cleveland but hasn't done anything since 2011. The fact he's been a free agent since late April says there's a serious problem with him.

st33lersguy
08-07-2013, 08:52 PM
2013, another injury plagued season. At this point, resting surefire starters in preseason will be the only way to make sure all those starters don't get injured. This is not normal to have this many injuries

LLT
08-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Moore showed promise against us in Cleveland but hasn't done anything since 2011. The fact he's been a free agent since late April says there's a serious problem with him.

Well....being that they are ALL free agents that havent been picked up yet....I guess we could make that arqument for all of them.

They havent been picked up because they are either:
A) Old
B) Wave players

If we needed a player...FROM THAT GROUP...Moore is a definate possibility.

fansince'76
08-07-2013, 09:00 PM
2013, another injury plagued season. At this point, resting surefire starters in preseason will be the only way to make sure all those starters don't get injured. This is not normal to have this many injuries

We've actually been one of the more fortunate teams in that regard thus far, believe it or not. I blame the new CBA and all the "limited padded practices" BS (http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/09000d5d8215c8ab/printable/how-practice-changes-could-negatively-impact-nfl-games). It's making players soft.

Chidi29
08-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Well....being that they are ALL free agents that havent been picked up yet....I guess we could make that arqument for all of them.

They havent been picked up because they are either:
A) Old
B) Wave players

If we needed a player...FROM THAT GROUP...Moore is a definate possibility.

But he hasn't caught a pass or played in a game since 2011. Essentially being inactive for two seasons? Obviously, there's a concern. At least a guy like Eldridge was just in a camp last week. Same with Palmer.

LLT
08-07-2013, 09:05 PM

OHHHHH!!! I think its time to roll this out again!!!!

Ode to John Kuhn

500 lbs and 10 feet tall
The greatest sports figure of them all

He can hold 5 footballs in one hand
He had all the Dallas Cheerleaders...in a one night stand

His shadow once won a beauty prize
His McFarland figure...... is life-size

He once threw a touchdown...to himself
He has a steel-rebar reinforced trophy shelf.

He can change the orbit of the Moon
Hes Kuhn...John Kuhn.

A paragon..a record slayer
Admitted to the Hall of Fame while still a player.

Not sure if its true, but it's been told
his tears can cure the common cold.

So cool he sweats in cubes of ice,
He has counted to infinity.........twice.

His eyebrows are registered weapons...I'm sure
that Chuck Norris even calls him "Sir"

This ode is finished much to soon
for Kuhn....John Kuhn.

LLT
08-07-2013, 09:17 PM
But he hasn't caught a pass or played in a game since 2011. Essentially being inactive for two seasons? Obviously, there's a concern. At least a guy like Eldridge was just in a camp last week. Same with Palmer.

The concern is that he isnt a well rounded player....If he was, he wouldnt be unsigned.

All the free agents at this time of year have a "concern".

Chidi29
08-07-2013, 09:20 PM
The concern is that he isnt a well rounded player....If he was, he wouldnt be unsigned.

All the free agents at this time of year have a "concern".

I get that. There's no stud sitting in FA in August. But when you can't even get a workout (at least, I haven't read anything that indicates he has) in five months, there's a big red flag than just not being a complete tight end. None of the TEs in FA are. If they were, they'd be in someone's camp.

Seven
08-07-2013, 09:39 PM
If we have to bring someone in, the call should be to Moore.

mark0933
08-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Different thought, are there any players in other camps that just have too many TE's that will lose the numbers game that we might take a look at on cut day?

LLT
08-07-2013, 09:43 PM
I get that. There's no stud sitting in FA in August. But when you can't even get a workout (at least, I haven't read anything that indicates he has) in five months, there's a big red flag than just not being a complete tight end. None of the TEs in FA are. If they were, they'd be in someone's camp.

Moore was released by the Seattle Seahawks in December of last year and then signed by the Philadelphia Eagles the next day. He was relased by the Eagles at either the end of April or the beginning of May of this year.

Chidi29
08-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Moore was released by the Seattle Seahawks in December of last year and then signed by the Philadelphia Eagles the next day. He was relased by the Eagles at either the end of April or the beginning of May of this year.

Yeah, I know. Where did I say otherwise? And he hasn't had a reported workout since. And he didn't catch a pass in Seattle. Not even sure if he was active.

LLT
08-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I know. Where did I say otherwise? And he hasn't had a reported workout since. And he didn't catch a pass in Seattle. Not even sure if he was active.

You said 5 months...Wouldnt that be March?

Chidi29
08-07-2013, 10:07 PM
You said 5 months...Wouldnt that be March?

Sorry, my math was off.

Point is, he hasn't even gotten a look since he was released and the athletic tight end hasn't caught a pass in two years.

pepsyman1
08-07-2013, 10:08 PM
Is this injury REALLY a concern??? I mean really. Spaeth has had 27 receptions in 4 YEARS and he's a mediocre blocker. Any free agent tight end available is comparable...no biggie

LLT
08-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Sorry, my math was off.

Point is, he hasn't even gotten a look since he was released and the athletic tight end hasn't caught a pass in two years.

Agreed...just the best of a poor selection. In my opinion.

Dwinsgames
08-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Matt Kranchick was spotted in town ( /ducks )

Chidi29
08-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Agreed...just the best of a poor selection. In my opinion.

It is a watered down group, just like everywhere else. But I'd rather take player that has done a little more when he's been with a team and one that just got out of camp rather than one that's been on the streets for four months.

I have always wondered why the Steelers never hopped on the athletic TE bandwagon. At least take a flier on one in one of the last two drafts or something. Versatile and extremely tough to stop. But we just seem to load up on blockers. Which isn't a terrible thing. But I'd like to take a shot at someone else and try to develop them.

LLT
08-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Different thought, are there any players in other camps that just have too many TE's that will lose the numbers game that we might take a look at on cut day?

Off the top of my head....Tony Moeaki of the Chiefs comes to mind. Kansas City drafted a TE AND signed Anthony Fasano.

Chidi29
08-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Off the top of my head....Tony Moeaki of the Chiefs comes to mind. Kansas City drafted a TE and signed Anthony Fasano.

Maybe Lee Smith gets cut? If Gragg does well and Smith doesn't do much to separate himself. You were a big fan, right?

LLT
08-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Maybe Lee Smith gets cut? If Gragg does well and Smith doesn't do much to separate himself. You were a big fan, right?

Smith is a good blocker but pretty slow. LOL...hard to find a Tight end that can do both.

katmandu
08-08-2013, 12:25 AM
We've actually been one of the more fortunate teams in that regard thus far, believe it or not. I blame the new CBA and all the "limited padded practices" BS (http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/09000d5d8215c8ab/printable/how-practice-changes-could-negatively-impact-nfl-games). It's making players soft.Man, I agree. I don't remember any Preseason having so many injuries happen in such a short time!

- - - Updated - - -

Dwinsgames
08-12-2013, 07:09 AM
scratch Dallas Clark from the list , he was just signed by the Ravens