PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers changing defensive philosophy

polamalubeast
08-06-2013, 03:47 PM
An old defensive coordinator still can teach some new tricks.

Longtime Pittsburgh Steelers defensive guru Dick LeBeau is asking his defensive ends to rush the passer on the edge more than before.

read more

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000226719/article/pittsburgh-steelers-change-defensive-philosophy?campaign=Twitter_atl

Count Steeler
08-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Gotta hand it to Lebeau, he knows defense.

Psycho Ward 86
08-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Have to imagine Mclendon's athleticism > Hampton's Athleticism and Hood's good motor have something to do with it as well

tube517
08-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Look for more calls for him to be fired if we don't see immediate results in the first series in the first preseason game

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4

Dwinsgames
08-07-2013, 08:37 AM
Gotta hand it to Lebeau, he knows defense.

he is an innovator and a mastermind , never a better DC in the game IMO

however we will still see people call for his head because we will not go undefeated and a player or players will fail to diagnose some plays on occasion or miss tackles that change an outcome and it will cost us .. Leabeau will shoulder all the blame from some even though he has not laced them up for 50 something years ... he will be called over the hill , some will say the game has passed him by , or he just does not have it anymore ... others will say he is to predictable and his scheme has lost its intrigue , its a novelty and no longer confuses people etc etc etc ....

at the end of the day I challenge anyone to name a Better DC or one they would rather have because I simply can not think of anyone I would rather have including the late Bud Carson ....

what most people fail to consider is this ...

1) the game as played with today's rules favor offensive success and not just a little

2) the guys on the other team also are getting paid and also are expected to make plays and sometimes they do

3) players sometimes fail to succeed in matchups or miss read what is actually taking place in front of them

KeiselPower99
08-07-2013, 06:09 PM
I like this. I always thought Keisel would be a top pass rusher in a 4-3 and with the success Watt had last year and the way our d line will look this year its a good time to see if it will work

Devilsdancefloor
08-07-2013, 08:29 PM
i think it is personel and i cant wait to see

st33lersguy
08-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Asking Ziggy Hood to provide more of a push may be asking too much of him.

KeiselPower99
08-09-2013, 08:01 PM
If Hood cant get it done Heyward should

Craic
08-09-2013, 08:19 PM

however we will still see people call for his head because we will not go undefeated and a player or players will fail to diagnose some plays on occasion or miss tackles that change an outcome and it will cost us .. Leabeau will shoulder all the blame from some even though he has not laced them up for 50 something years ... he will be called over the hill , some will say the game has passed him by , or he just does not have it anymore ... others will say he is to predictable and his scheme has lost its intrigue , its a novelty and no longer confuses people etc etc etc ....

at the end of the day I challenge anyone to name a Better DC or one they would rather have because I simply can not think of anyone I would rather have including the late Bud Carson ....

what most people fail to consider is this ...

1) the game as played with today's rules favor offensive success and not just a little

2) the guys on the other team also are getting paid and also are expected to make plays and sometimes they do

3) players sometimes fail to succeed in matchups or miss read what is actually taking place in front of them

In general I agree with you. That doesn't mean Coach Lebeau doesn't have his faults though. For years, he defense had to major weaknesses that he could never seem to account for. The first was the TE running a seam route. I don't know how many times our defense was ate up because of this one issue. Too many to count, or want to remember, the second was spreading the defense. By spreading them and going four or five wide then running short routes, often the zone part of the zone blitz couldn't account for the players yet because our CBs had to play so far off the line (since they have RB duty as well), and the blitz part was negated because the passes were so quick. It's why the better quarterbacks put the smack on our defense more than once or twice.

It took him quite a few years to fix it, too. Think about how many times the Patriots and the Steelers played. Yet, it was only the last time that the Steelers finally matched up man to man and clamped down on Brady's offense.

I'm not taking anything away from Lebeau. He's an innovator and a heck of a coach, but he's had his weaknesses too, and they've shown up at some very inopportune moments of the game/season.

X-Terminator
08-09-2013, 08:24 PM

You sure you weren't reading this forum the past couple of years? Because those sentiments were almost daily occurrences around here. Our GameDay threads are some proof of that.

tube517
08-09-2013, 08:38 PM
In general I agree with you. That doesn't mean Coach Lebeau doesn't have his faults though. For years, he defense had to major weaknesses that he could never seem to account for. The first was the TE running a seam route. I don't know how many times our defense was ate up because of this one issue. Too many to count, or want to remember, the second was spreading the defense. By spreading them and going four or five wide then running short routes, often the zone part of the zone blitz couldn't account for the players yet because our CBs had to play so far off the line (since they have RB duty as well), and the blitz part was negated because the passes were so quick. It's why the better quarterbacks put the smack on our defense more than once or twice.

It took him quite a few years to fix it, too. Think about how many times the Patriots and the Steelers played. Yet, it was only the last time that the Steelers finally matched up man to man and clamped down on Brady's offense.

I'm not taking anything away from Lebeau. He's an innovator and a heck of a coach, but he's had his weaknesses too, and they've shown up at some very inopportune moments of the game/season.

Hater :chuckle:

Count Steeler
08-10-2013, 06:18 AM

Can you say Tebow? A nightmare that unfortunately was reality. However, overall, LeBeau is a great coach.