PDA

View Full Version : Steelers rookie receiver Wheaton proving to be a ‘quick’ study

zulater
08-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Perhaps it's no surprise that a player with 4.3 speed in the 40-yard dash didn't need much time to catch up with everyone else at training camp.

Wide receiver Markus Wheaton couldn't take part in the Steelers' spring practices because alma mater Oregon State was holding class Since he arrived at camp, though, everything has been a blur.

Especially the player wearing No. 11, one who is expected to ramp up the Steelers' overall team speed much like Mike Wallace did the last four seasons.

“He's going to be in a group with the fastest (NFL receivers),” wide receivers coach Richard Mann said Monday. “I don't know if he's going to be the fastest, but he'll be there. And what I like is he's got that quick twitch.”

Quick twitch isn't a football phrase but a medical term that refers to muscle fiber that contracts rapidly, especially during actions that require maximum effort for short periods. Such as running a 50-yard pass pattern rapidly. Such as running it the way Wheaton does.

Wheaton already has made some impressive catches during camp — he's working mostly as the slot receiver, or the No. 3 receiver — despite missing those May and June workouts.

“This kid is a smart guy who has made up a lot of the gap,” offensive coordinator Todd Haley said. “At the time, I felt he was way behind. Now that he's here, I think he's done a great job with Coach Mann of getting up to speed so he can compete.”

Mann talked often with Wheaton, teaching him via long distance the basics of the Steelers' offense.

“I just think he's a smart kid,” Mann said. “He came here and did what he had to do to catch up. We're in the process of him learning how to do it as opposed to telling him how to do it.”

What Wheaton already has shown in a relatively brief time is that he could be an impact receiver immediately

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4480526-74/wheaton-mann-receiver#ixzz2bBjbhxTI
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

zulater
08-06-2013, 07:13 AM
My projection for Wheaton's rookie season. 35 catches, 500 yards, 3 td's.

Dwinsgames
08-06-2013, 09:41 AM
I won't bother with projections because to be honest we do not even know what we will be on Offense at this point considering the addition of Bell and how effective he may or may not be at this point with our new O-Line scheme and whether or not the line will be effective or healthy for any length of time ... far to much questions with the team to make projections for me ...

However Wheaty seems like a kid with his head on straight from everything I have read and it sounds like he is making great strides in learning the system and making his mark while trying to earn a job on the first unit and this is all very good news

Nadroj 20
08-06-2013, 09:48 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing this kid play. I think he can make an immediate impact and have a very solid rookie season.

In my opinion we can have a well-rounded WR corps. Possibly have 3 guys in Brown, Sanders and Wheaton at 50+ catches.

steeldawg
08-06-2013, 11:56 AM
I think he can easily out perform cotchery so I say give him a shot, if he knows the offense I don't see how adding a blazing speedster is going to hurt.

Mistah Q
08-06-2013, 02:24 PM
He'll look good on a Wheaties box.

Psycho Ward 86
08-06-2013, 07:23 PM
im getting really confused. reports on wheaton seem to be absolutely all over the place so im going to reserve judgement for now. hope he surprises

one side only
08-06-2013, 08:58 PM
im getting really confused. reports on wheaton seem to be absolutely all over the place so im going to reserve judgement for now. hope he surprisesHaven't heard anything but positive.

Shoes
08-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Haven't heard anything but positive.

Same here.

steelreserve
08-07-2013, 12:08 AM
While it's too early to tell what's what, this certainly sounds better than "this guy is an asshole who's too dumb to understand the playbook, and barely even tries anyway because he's off smoking weed, and also showed up to training camp out of shape."

Craic
08-07-2013, 02:39 AM
While it's too early to tell what's what, this certainly sounds better than "this guy is an asshole who's too dumb to understand the playbook, and barely even tries anyway because he's off smoking weed, and also showed up to training camp out of shape."

That has to be the most positive thing I've heard you say in I don't know how long! Glad to see you coming around! :chuckle:

Devilsdancefloor
08-07-2013, 08:08 AM
I have high hopes for this rookie class and very excited to see them in action

steelerdude15
08-07-2013, 11:22 PM
From what I understand, he's grasping the playbook, making plays in camp, and impressing his teammates without any other NFL camp experience because he was at school. That is really impressive and this makes me further believe that he could be a key factor for our offense.

katmandu
08-08-2013, 12:40 AM
im getting really confused. reports on wheaton seem to be absolutely all over the place so im going to reserve judgement for now. hope he surprisesI've heard nothing but glowing reviews on him as well.

What negative crap have you heard about him ?

Master Blaster
08-08-2013, 10:43 AM
I think he can easily out perform cotchery so I say give him a shot, if he knows the offense I don't see how adding a blazing speedster is going to hurt.
The fact that he has yet to play in an NFL game, against NFL level competition and the fact that Cotchery is having a good camp prevents me from concluding that he can easily replace Cotchery. Cotchery's veteran experience gives him the nod to start over Wheaton until Wheaton earns the right to take over Cotchery's position.

Dwinsgames
08-08-2013, 11:04 AM
The fact that he has yet to play in an NFL game, against NFL level competition and the fact that Cotchery is having a good camp prevents me from concluding that he can easily replace Cotchery. Cotchery's veteran experience gives him the nod to start over Wheaton until Wheaton earns the right to take over Cotchery's position.

that is what Everyone was saying in the Bell situation , he has to earn the right...

that does not mean we can not be hopeful but we should not anoint either

steeldawg
08-08-2013, 12:03 PM
I would disagree if he knows the offense his speed alone is a much bigger weapon than anything cotchery brings to the table. True cotchery is a veteran but he's been a veteran the last 2 seasons and really what impact has he had? Veteran presence on offense doesn't win ball games we need production. He might not start right away but I wouldn't be surprised to see him takeover for cotchery, he's just younger and more talented.

Shoes
08-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Another plus for this young man....

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Steelers third-round WR Markus Wheaton has shown a "good ability to go over the middle in live contact (and) hang onto the ball."

86WARD
08-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Ginna get more
Chances with the possibility of Burress hurt...

zulater
08-09-2013, 06:59 AM
While Le'Veon Bell and Jarvis Jones have been getting most of the attention among the rookies, Wheaton continues to get better every practice. Wheaton ran a deep cross during the team period and hauled in a pass by beating Troy Polamalu. Wheaton turned upfield and raced 30 yards into the end zone. During team goal-line period at the end of practice, Wheaton snagged a pass from Ben Roethlisberger across the middle, changed direction and scored easily.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4501222-74/wheaton-pass-team#ixzz2bTLt6uQy
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Master Blaster
08-14-2013, 10:19 AM
I would disagree if he knows the offense his speed alone is a much bigger weapon than anything cotchery brings to the table. True cotchery is a veteran but he's been a veteran the last 2 seasons and really what impact has he had? Veteran presence on offense doesn't win ball games we need production. He might not start right away but I wouldn't be surprised to see him takeover for cotchery, he's just younger and more talented.
According to his teammates, Cotchery came to camp in much better shape and having a year in Haley's offense he looks much better than he did last season. It's a given that Wheaton will eventually take his job, but he's got to prove that he is worthy of it. He is a rookie and even though he's looking like the guy Colbert was expecting to see, he's making rookie mistakes. He most definitely will see playing time. He's too talented to not be involved, but he will share time behind Cotchery until Haley is convinced he's ready to accept a larger role. That's the prudent way to ensure he develops at a pace commensurate with his ability to learn and therefore, absorb the playbook and his coach's instructions. In the end, it's what's best for the team.

Dwinsgames
08-14-2013, 02:02 PM
According to his teammates, Cotchery came to camp in much better shape and having a year in Haley's offense he looks much better than he did last season. It's a given that Wheaton will eventually take his job, but he's got to prove that he is worthy of it. He is a rookie and even though he's looking like the guy Colbert was expecting to see, he's making rookie mistakes. He most definitely will see playing time. He's too talented to not be involved, but he will share time behind Cotchery until Haley is convinced he's ready to accept a larger role. That's the prudent way to ensure he develops at a pace commensurate with his ability to learn and therefore, absorb the playbook and his coach's instructions. In the end, it's what's best for the team.

good post and I think this should go without saying about ALL rookies in the Steeler organization ( it certainly has been the protocol in the past )

Master Blaster
08-16-2013, 06:33 AM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

"@ A report surfaced today that the Steelers could be looking to deal wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery. That's ridiculous. Had Plaxico Burress not gotten injured, maybe they would have considered offers for Cotchery.

But with Burress out, there's no way they're going to be comfortable going with Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and a bunch of rookies, even if they have been impressed with Markus Wheaton."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/wallaces-departure-could-prove-beneficial-for-steelers-699515/

"... as a unit, Haley believes the wide receivers have a chance to be more productive because he thinks Sanders is better suited to playing on the outside than in the slot, the position he mostly played last year.With Sanders on the outside, Jerricho Cotchery will be the slot receiver, and Haley thinks he is better suited for that position than Sanders.
"I like the way we're lining up in three-receiver sets," Haley said. "We're playing to both guys strengths by lining A.B. and Emmanuel outside and Jerricho inside because that inside receiver is such a huge part of the run game. And Jerricho has been tremendous."