PDA

View Full Version : Keith Butler Told Woodley He Needs To Watch Film Before Making Pass Rush Statements

polamalubeast
08-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley let it be known a few days ago that he would like to rush the quarterback more in 2013 and drop into coverage less because he thinks that's what they pay him big money to do. Linebackers coach Keith Butler was asked Saturday by David Todd of 970 ESPN Radio about Woodley's remarks and if indeed 2012 was any different than previous years with Woodley. Butler of course was straight forward in his response.........

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/08/keith-butler-lamarr-woodley-pass-rush-training-camp/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/08/keith-butler-lamarr-woodley-pass-rush-training-camp/)

Steeldude
08-05-2013, 05:00 AM
Like the many fans on here, Woodley thinks he is paid just to rush the passer, not stop the run, seal the edge, drop into coverage, tackle etc... He is paid to be a LBer.

Count Steeler
08-05-2013, 06:24 AM
Like the many fans on here, Woodley thinks he is paid just to rush the passer, not stop the run, seal the edge, drop into coverage, tackle etc... He is paid to be a LBer.

And it is long overdue that he earn his money. He is indebted big time on the performance/pay scale.

zulater
08-05-2013, 06:54 AM
And it is long overdue that he earn his money. He is indebted big time on the performance/pay scale.

He had a bad 2012, in large part because of injuries. You know who else that was true of? Troy Polamlu, James Harrison, and to a certain extent Big Ben. Yet I don't see thread after thread deriding every aspect of their play and attitude.

Through the first 8 games of 2011 ( only one season removed) Woodley was playing at a phenominal level prior to getting injured. And oh yeah, for those that want to dismiss his production and attribute it to the attention that James Harrison was receiving, consider this. Games 4-8 inclusive in 2011 Woodley had 7.5 sacks. This despite missing the entire second half of the Patriots game. a game he was dominant in prior to getting injured ( 2 sacks + 2 qb pressures) anyway in these four games that Woodley stood out in, a four game stretch where the steelers inarguably played their best football of that season, Harrison wasn't on the field for so much as one play. Out injured with a broken orbita lbone.

And don't anyone take this as disrespecting James Harrison, who undoubtedly was a tremendous Steelers, and a superior player to Woodley. Because that's not my intention. My intent is to remind people that Woodley had a bad year period. His career overall he's been very productive, and that's why he was rewarded with a high end contract.

His not living up to that contract could very well be a one year abbiration attributal almost entirely to an injury plagued stretch. In fact that's what the evidence strongly suggests.

Obviously this is an important year for Woodley and he has to prove himself all over again. That's the way of the league. But this bullshit that Woodley is some pile of crap that has been stinking up the joint for years on end needs to stop. Because it's a load of shit! :poop:

Count Steeler
08-05-2013, 08:17 AM
In my mind, the worry over Woodley is the decline since the Patriots* game. Yes he was injured, but he did not make it back to any performance level in 2011 and he was heavier and worse in 2012. The trend was definitely downward.

I am pleased to hear he is in better shape this camp, but if he is at 270-275, he is still a bit heavy. However, let's see how he performs. Injuries from over exertion are one thing, but not being able to play because of poor conditioning is another. (ala Dwyer.)

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, Polamalu has to step up as well.