PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Tomlin takes a page out of the Noll playbook

stillers4me
08-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Something quite rare has occurred at Saint Vincent College the past week of Steelers training camp, something not seen with this kind of regularity since Chuck Noll brought his teams to Latrobe in the summer.

The Steelers are tackling in practice, and not just in the annual goal-line drill that ended the workout Saturday.

Mike Tomlin has run them through live 11-on-11 drills at least once each day, starting Monday when they pulled on the pads for the first time.

That is old-old-school, something Bill Cowher did not even do. You would have to go back to the 1980s to see that many real, live tackling practice sessions when Noll's players wore no numbers on their jerseys and twice-daily practices were common..........

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-notebook-tomlin-takes-a-page-out-of-the-noll-playbook-698043/#ixzz2b0WlmtLJ

SMR
08-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Well, me likes the sound of that. Sometimes going back to "old, old school" is what is needed to bring back the sure-fire inspiration this Steelers team had been lacking this past few years since our last Super Bowl win.

fansince'76
08-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Not entirely true. I remember the team hitting the wall in December of Tomlin's first season largely because he kicked their asses in training camp.

NCSteeler
08-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Thought tackling and pads were barely allowed in the new contract.

ALLD
08-08-2013, 05:41 PM
No coach has won more Super Bowls than Chuck Noll. They should do a movie about his biography.